Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-17-2006, 09:19 AM   #41  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall, the people I give cards to seem to appreciate them very much. However, I get an occasional oddball. Like the woman I sent a sympathy card to that I made using microbeads. A few days after the funeral she called me to thank me for the card, and she asked me about how I made the card. After I explained it to her, her comment was "well, maybe I'll hold onto this for a few days before I throw it in the trash." I was so glad it was a phone call and not a face-to-face conversation so she couldn't see the look on my face.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2006, 09:25 AM   #42  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I began stamping, I wanted everything I ever made to be saved.....as I've seem some of it now, I wish it had been thrown out! Once we make something and give it away, it is no longer ours. It used to bother me that someone wouldn't keep something I'd worked so hard on.....even the not so great creations were heartfelt. Now I just create for myself. If the recepient is a saver, all the better. But I think we all make cards according to the person. Those that can appreciate our effects will get the better cards. The creating is as important as the giving. It's our gift to ouselves, so enjoy and let it go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2006, 09:36 AM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Oklahoma...State (OSU) We love 'em even when they lose, and we're never disappointed!

To avoid that hurt feeling and to avoid putting pressure on my friends, I use a post it note to sign (like we do here for RAKs) and then they can re-card it to their friends. I always say they can certainly keep it (forever and a day) if they want to though!

Even with store-bought cards some people save them and some people don't. With my re-carding comments-at least two people get to enjoy it before it goes in the trash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2006, 09:48 AM   #44  
Watercolor Wizard

my DH's family just does not get it. My family does, they have SEEN me stamp. My mom stamps with me. So they understand.

Dh's family is a sore subject with me. So I dont even want to waste a second of my time stamping anything for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2006, 10:10 AM   #45  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Yes! I made a shaker card for my young niece last year with the crab from Fishy Friends. It had sand in the little window. After she opened it, she proceeded to tear it apart to see how it "worked". I was almost physically ill! I've since learned not to make her cards that are too elaborate.

On the other hand, my mom has saved every card I've ever made her. And several of my friends who stamp keep them as well because they know how much work goes into them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2006, 10:32 AM   #46  
Kookie Creator

Yep, been there, felt that....

Then I realized that I stamp for me. I give what I stamp because I want to and if they don't appreciate it, it's their problem, not mine. Of course, when it's obvious to me someone "doesn't care" when they get a card from me, well, they go into the "quick card" pile... but really, I've come to the realization that I stamp for me. Me. Me. If the recipient doesn't like it, their loss.

It's my "Miss B**ch" approach to those that wouldn't know "cute", "precious" or "beautiful" if they fell over it. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2006, 10:33 AM   #47  
Kookie Creator

Yep, been there, felt that....

Then I realized that I stamp for me. I give what I stamp because I want to and if they don't appreciate it, it's their problem, not mine. Of course, when it's obvious to me someone "doesn't care" when they get a card from me, well, they go into the "quick card" pile... but really, I've come to the realization that I stamp for me. Me. Me. If the recipient doesn't like it, their loss.

It's my "Miss B**ch" approach to those that wouldn't know "cute", "precious" or "beautiful" if they fell over it. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2006, 10:37 AM   #48  
Kookie Creator

sorry for the duplicate posts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #49  
Glitter Queen

Yep, I totally agree with LuckyGirl. I stamp for ME. It's a challenge (especially since I'm such a virgin stamper ) to decide on a design using the myriad of techniques that are available out there. You know to crimp or not to crimp, should I emboss, where to place the ribbon, eyelet or brad... you get the idea!! That in itself is the enjoyment, so it's my choice on how long I spend making the card. And boy sometimes it takes a LONG time ... Ha!!!

Reflecting back on before I knew anything about stamping, I must admit I never appreciated the 'hand-stamped' cards and the time it took to create them. (please don't shoot me! lol) I was ignorant and probably unknowingly insensitive to the card-maker. (however this excuse can not be used by the 'friend' who lost the baby announcements!! There's no excuse for that!)

BUT now, if I get a hand-stamped card I know the talent and time involved and truely appreciate it. In fact I always tease my demo (aka friend) about giving store bought cards and b-day invites!! That just goes to say a lot of time and energy goes into the creations and her being a mom of 3 lil' ones has no time to create special cards for every occassion that comes up. Although she does create so many cute gift bags for b-day parties and gifts for neighbors.

All I have to say is remember to enjoy the journey of creating and if the recipient enjoys it, it's just icing on the cake!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2006, 01:01 PM   #50  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesh4rk
Yup, I made about 25 baby announcements for a friend. I even had everything written in except the baby's name and birthdate and vital stats because we didn't know them yet. I also gave her matching envies with the return address label. She said they were really nice etc, did she use them? NOPE. She actually told me that SHE LOST THEM.
Okay, here's another "take" on this particular situation. It could be that she had already decided what kind of baby announcement that she planned to send out. I know that I am very particular about important things like this. I don't mean that the announcements weren't good, but that it wasn't what she had planned to send out. Heck, I made my own bridal shower announcements because I had an idea in my mind of what I wanted them to look like. (My maid of honor was thrilled that I made them all because it saved her a lot of time.) So.. even though you did go to all of this work, how else could she have explained why she didn't use them? I'm sure that hearing "It wasn't really what I wanted to send out" would have really hurt your feelings. Baby announcements to me are going to be a big deal because IF we get pregnant, it will only be the one time... kind of like how wedding announcements are a big deal to the bride.

Now.. if you did this because she asked you to, that's a whole other story. (Then shame on her for "losing them.")

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2006, 01:49 PM   #51  
Die Cut Diva

Kimberly - She didn't send out baby announcements at all so I'm guessing she didn't find anything she liked better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlyinMN
Okay, here's another "take" on this particular situation. It could be that she had already decided what kind of baby announcement that she planned to send out. I know that I am very particular about important things like this. I don't mean that the announcements weren't good, but that it wasn't what she had planned to send out. Heck, I made my own bridal shower announcements because I had an idea in my mind of what I wanted them to look like. (My maid of honor was thrilled that I made them all because it saved her a lot of time.) So.. even though you did go to all of this work, how else could she have explained why she didn't use them? I'm sure that hearing "It wasn't really what I wanted to send out" would have really hurt your feelings. Baby announcements to me are going to be a big deal because IF we get pregnant, it will only be the one time... kind of like how wedding announcements are a big deal to the bride.

Now.. if you did this because she asked you to, that's a whole other story. (Then shame on her for "losing them.")

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2006, 01:51 PM   #52  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! No baby announcements?? (Well then, she darn well BETTER have lost them.)

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #53  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by twyant
Has this feeling ever come over you? My sister's baby shower was yesterday. I wanted to make her something special as this is her first baby. For mother's day, I made her the coolest card (of course, I didn't even take a picture of it), and she said, "oh, cute". Yesterday, she didn't even acknowledge that I had made her card. I am not expecting her to gush, but acknowledgment would've been nice. It really made me want to ask for it back to give to a more appreciative person. Ok, I'm done venting. I am just wondering if this happens to you guys too and what you do to stop yourself from getting upset.
Ouch!
Yes, that happens to me, too. But that is soooooo much better than "Whoa! somebody has too much time on their hands!!"

my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2006, 03:20 PM   #54  
Mad Swapper

My husband often laments the effort that I put into a single card, reminding me that the recipient will just "throw it out." I try not to get caught up in the "did they appreciate my card" angst. I create because I love to stamp. It brings me enjoyment to make a card, even if it will eventually be thrown out. I can't expect people to call me up because they liked a card I made. Neither can I spend time being angry because someone doesn't see it as a keepsake. I just hope that, for the moment it was in their hands, it made them smile -- no matter how brief the moment was.

My Little Blog . . .
Reply With Quote Likes