Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-31-2004, 05:39 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have....

a computer (desktop or laptop) in your Stampin' room?
I ask because I am fortunate enough to have both a desktop and a laptop...my laptop is currently in my kitchen at a built in counter-like desk...which is great...and I start my morning frequently here.
BUT, I seem to end up spending more and more time on SCS and not stamping. :shock:
I'm wondering if any of you who may have a computer in your stampin' room seem to be able to get more stamping done or do you still "surf your time away" on SCS like I do?

I like the idea of having it in my stamping room so that I can more easily refer to ideas and techniques...and yet be able to stamp at the same time....but I also fear that I just may end up once again, only on the computer...... :(
Please give me your feedback on your experience.....TIA!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 05:47 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have my computer in our"office" and that is also where I stamp. I am in the process of organizing the walk in closet in the office to accomodate all my scrap and stamp stuff. I love being able to pull up an example and leave it up on the screen while I stamp!
Old 12-31-2004, 05:48 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Flygirl,

I too have both the desktop and laptop computer in my home. I have the laptop in my office/stamping room and seem to spend more time surfing than stamping lately. One thing I love though about having it in my stamping room is that I can easily keep up with any announcements while phoning my customers or working with my downline. Since I seem to spend several hours a day in my office, I can easily reply to any customers questions, which they love.

Just because it sits in your stamp room, does not mean you have to be on it all of the time. Set some rules for yourself. For example, only allow yourself to "check" SCS at the top of the hour. Stamping, uninterrupted, for 30 minutes will allow you to surf the web for 5 minutes etc. Give yourself permission to do one, when you complete the other. You get my drift. I mean, it is currently in your kitchen, but I would assume you still get the meals cooked, unless you are really hooked, then I would guess you don't have the strength to move from the kitchen!!!!

Happy New Year.

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 06:00 AM   #4  
Total Quack

Well, around here, we have 2 desktops and 2 laptops (I have mine and my dh has his). My dad is putting my network connection up in my stamp room next week. I've been pushing for this for quite a while. Anyway ... I don't know if it will help or hinder me, but I can't wait to have my laptop up there with me. I feel so disconnected without it! I want to have all of the fabulous samples from here at my hands when I need them.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 06:06 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

We have a desktop and laptop computer but the laptop is with my husband so that one doesn't really count. Our desktop is right next to my stamping area. I love to spend time on SCS and do so often. I also know when it's time to get to stamping or other chores in the house. That said...I do have a hard time pulling myself from SCS. My New Years Resolution is to spend my bulk amount of time on SCS after my youngest goes to bed at 8:00 p.m. Of course, I'll have time when they are in school as well but I still have house chores and a part time (scheduled at my convience) job that I need to think of during that time. Not sure I helped any but enjoy having your computer right next to you! It's great to leave the picture up to refer to!
Old 12-31-2004, 06:09 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenmeller
Flygirl,

Just because it sits in your stamp room, does not mean you have to be on it all of the time. Set some rules for yourself. For example, only allow yourself to "check" SCS at the top of the hour. Stamping, uninterrupted, for 30 minutes will allow you to surf the web for 5 minutes etc. Give yourself permission to do one, when you complete the other. You get my drift. I mean, it is currently in your kitchen, but I would assume you still get the meals cooked, unless you are really hooked, then I would guess you don't have the strength to move from the kitchen!!!!

Happy New Year.

Jennifer
Jennifer-
Thanks for your tips! But the truth is "I'm really hooked"... :oops:

I do manage to get the meals cooked!! However our home consists of only my husband and myself (and 6 kitties....our "girls"...)...therefore, dinner doesn't have to be at any certain time and we both have very flexible jobs that have VERY odd hours....
What I guess I'm trying to say is our lifestyle lacks "structure".....which I desperately need (and desire!) but have a hard time applying!
I used to have more, but now have slacked off due to various life circumstances...anyhow...(I'm rambling!)
It sounds like you are very organized and structured...I envy that!

However to "pat myself on the back" I DO have the new SU! organizer, have converted it to be more all inclusive so it can be my overall organizer (added phone pages etc..), and have started using it. I also read Shelly's article about goal setting in SS and am trying seriously to take that to heart... I guess I could use an egg timer in my Stampin' room and set it for when I'm online.....and then go back to stamping! Hmmmm.....guess I'm thinking outloud!! Maybe that will be a start along with your suggestions!
Thanks for your insights!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 06:47 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

We have two pc's but only one is hooked up to the internet. I also have a laptop that can be connected to the internet. But, my stamping area is now in my living room. I used to stamp on the kitchen table and all the "stuff" would stay there until I was done (which was sometimes 3 days). It drove both my husband and I nuts. My husband bought me 4' long fold up table from Sam's so, now I have it up in the living room and try to keep the area as neat looking as I can. I keep trying to convince him that I need a craft room. Our home is small. We do have an office but it is filled with office-type stuff. So, I spend most of my time in the office on the computer on scs, or at my table in the living room, stamping.
Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 07:34 AM   #8  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default I do

I have a computer in my bedroom... along with the coffee table I stole from the livingroom because that is where I stamp. I find it useful to be able to print out sentiments if I need them, or to otherwise incorporate computer generated graphics in my stamping. I do find myself on the computer ALOT, but we all know we can step away anytime we want to... or can we :shock: :oops: ? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 07:55 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

We have both. I have a laptop that is connected wirelessly to the network, which is totally awesome. I carry my laptop between my craft room and in front of the TV (which is where I surf SCS). I have an extra power cord so it's easy for me to just pick up my laptop and move. In the craft room, I'm able to have my laptop setup and ready for workshops/parties. All my SU forms on the computer and I can print to my printer from anywhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 08:38 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I recently moved all my stamp stuff from the dining room to a corner area of the basement which is all mine! I miss having access to the computer down there though - so I told my husband yesterday that I wanted a laptop for my birthday in January :oops: :lol: ! He of course thinks I'm nuts since we just finished up Christmas. Oh well, a girl can hope, can't she? Happy New Year everyone, hope it's a great one for all of us!

Karrie G.
SCS Member #8990

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/karrieg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 04:37 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Our computer is in another room. I know that if it was where I stamped..I would do less stamping. That's just me.
Right now, I am just trying to reorganize myself and all my stampin stuff!!So that I can stamp more. I seem to stamp when I have a deadline of some sort and not just sit down and stamp to stamp. I want to do more just sit down and stamp time.
HTH, Bev
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 04:42 PM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have a computer on my stampin'/scrappin' table, but once we changed over to PC's (used to be Mac's), we only have the one upstairs now. I really miss having my printer and computer down there because I do a lot of my journaling on the computer and now I just tend to put off doing it instead of adding it right then and there when I make the layout. But it wasn't hooked up to the internet and I wasn't hooked on SCS back then either :-)

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 04:56 PM   #13  
The Amazin' Yappin' Scrapper

My DH and I both have desk PCs. he has the internet connection which I am networked into. I spend A LOT of time in front of my PC--probably more than I should :oops:

It's in my stamping/working nook off of our bedroom. I feel bad when i stay up late stamping, so that usually gets moved to the DR table, and DH gets frustrated when he can't see what the dining room table looks like anymore. So, my goal for the new year is to keep more of my stamping upstairs where it "belongs" and do everything I can to help DH finish the basement this summer, where he has promised me my very OWN stamping room!!! Woo Hoo!!

Not sure if this helps or not--

Jen

Fan my etsy shop on Facebook: RJY Handmade Designs

Check out my etsy shop: www.rjyhandmadedesigns.etsy.com

Blog: http://rjyhandmadedesigns.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 06:06 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

My DH is a total computer nerd so we have way to many computers in this house. I have my desktop downstairs with my stamping stuff. Since I can't go down there during the day(I do childcare during the day and they aren't allowed downstairs) I spend there naptime on my laptop upstairs. It works out good for me cause by the time I get down there to stamp at night I have already seen all the new threads and cards to I don't get "stuck" on here as long.

SAHM to Dominik 1/1/00 & Alyssa 3/8/01
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/smartinez182

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 09:45 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bev Barton
Right now, I am just trying to reorganize myself and all my stampin stuff!!So that I can stamp more. I seem to stamp when I have a deadline of some sort and not just sit down and stamp to stamp. I want to do more just sit down and stamp time.
HTH, Bev
Oh can I relate to that Bev!! I seem to stamp when I HAVE to...for swaps or workshops etc.. but not just to stamp for my own contentment....which is what I TRUELY desire!
(personally, SCS doesn't help that!!! :shock: as I just love to surf SCS for ideas and to see what's new and before I know it, I've spent hours here!)

I too am working on organizing my SU! room right now. I have the cubes to make 12x12 paper holders as well as some cd/video/dvd storage units that I plan to stack my stamps in alphabetically. I just need to take the time to put it all together....than I would actually have ROOM in my SU! room to Stamp!

Ah well, it's a new year now so maybe I will have a new start and be more productive and utilze my time better!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 11:44 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Funny I should see this question today, because I just started rearranging so that my computer will be in the same room as my stamping room. Well, it's actually the stamping stuff that's being moved into the computer room. We had been using one of our spare bedrooms as a computer room (DH and I have his and hers - if we didn't I'd NEVER be able to use the computer - he's a computer hog) and the other spare room as my stamping room. But now that we've got a baby on the way, the stamping room is being converted into the baby's room. DH's computer went to the basement, which he just finished finishing off (I got him a cool new computer desk for Christmas and everything). I'm really looking forward to having the stamping stuff in the same room as the computer. I actually think it will help me get more stamping done because I'll see a great new idea on SCS and then I'll have no excuse not to try it out with my stamping stuff RIGHT THERE!
Reply With Quote Likes