Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:09 PM   #81  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, Tobi, That's beautiful - the song and you're singing! What a fun thread. I'm always suprized to find out what amazing things my co-workers do outside of work, never thought about it the other way around.

I'm a registered nurse who inspects (surveys) nursing homes. I get to travel to wonderful small towns in Central Texas and meet some amazing!!! people. It's heart wrenching sometimes, but it can also be very rewarding when we leave a facility and feel like we've made a difference.

I love sharing my projects with co-workers. But, yes, it can be a curse.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #82  
Watercolor Wizard

I normally work fulltime in a public school as a Special Education Self Contained Teacher. Basically means I teach 7 classes a day to the same 10 lovely students. I teach Reading, English, Science, Math, History, Functional Academics, and Life Skills to students who developmental delays.

I said normally, because right now things are not in the normal mode. I am off on medical leave (since Dec 17th). I spent 6 weeks in the hospital, 4 rounds of ICU, 2 surgeries and then spent Jan 28 - early March recouperating at home. That last surgery was a doozy and removed 10 inches of bowel.

Right now I am not allowed to work because of complications from chemotherapy. This is my 3rd round of endometrial cancer (you might say 2nd since it started back in August, but due to all the other stuff I call it 3rd). Today was my 7th chemo out of a cycle of 12. I will finish in mid June and be allowed to work again in August.

Not doing alot of creative stuff right now -- simply get too tired. But I also took alot of my friends to the "Dark Side"..... my school even lets me use the art room once a month on Saturdays to host stamp camps. I have several of the teachers from my high school and another local high school my sis teaches at that attend. Of course, this too has been put on hold and they are eager for me to return to Stamp Camps. Then the secretaries, teachers and my kids at school all benefit from my addiction with goodies. Plus the kids all know how to use alcohol inks on picture frames, how to emboss, some are decent stampers and some try without a creative bone in their bodies. We all did a scrapbook in the room last year, and it was really hard for me to let them make it their own way -- but in the end it truly reflected their own personalities.

But I do have 2 Stamp Clubs that are still going strong. So each month I have $300 in sales between the 2 clubs. So I still keep them moving on the "Dark Side".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #83  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a Master's in Counseling and work for a women's prison ministry (presently unpaid) working with women transitioning after incarceration. Mostly my job is that of a case manager; sometimes working with them on abuse issues from childhood, DV issues and often alcohol/drug recovery. Then again, most days lately are administrative trying to raise awareness and funding!

Yes our small staff knows of my obsession! I use my card making as a therapy technique with some women, as a fundraising media and then when I'm home, just to relax!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #84  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmomView Post
You've gotten me really curious! Are you a spy?
Now you know I couldn't tell you that if I were...;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by duffercat
I bet I can figure out who you work for. I used to work for a governent agency as well and my job was definitely a conversation killer. I was an auditor for IRS. Did I get it right? You work for IRS? lol

I came over from the "dark side" and now I administer retirement plans instead of auditing them.
I do not work for the IRS.

I can tell you that my job is highly analytical and is of an international nature, but it's not with the government.

I used to tell people I did hair and makeup for a funeral home, but believe it or not they found that fascinating and would ask too many questions. LOL!

Last edited by missiowa81; 05-06-2009 at 08:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #85  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp_mommaView Post
What a great thread. Fabulous voice, Tobi...gorgeous.

I think I have a pretty cool job working for the #1 stamping website on the whole entire world wide web. ;)

I coordinate and schedule the advertising that you see when your surfing your way around Splitcoast. I have the opportunity to work with a lot of really wonderful people. And, I'm pretty sure most of them are aware of paper crafting addiction. :mrgreen:
You do paper crafts? :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #86  
Pearl-ExPert

Sure you can't tell us? I am dying of curiosity here!

We wiegh heavily on the educational and health side, don't we? I so love all those other interesting jobs out there. I am wondering how some of those ladies fell into those jobs??

Quote:

Originally Posted by missiowa81View Post
Now you know I couldn't tell you that if I were...;)

I do not work for the IRS.

I can tell you that my job is highly analytical and is of an international nature, but it's not with the government.

I used to tell people I did hair and makeup for a funeral home, but believe it or not they found that fascinating and would ask too many questions. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #87  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellpoleView Post
Sure you can't tell us? I am dying of curiosity here!

We wiegh heavily on the educational and health side, don't we? I so love all those other interesting jobs out there. I am wondering how some of those ladies fell into those jobs??
yes, lots of educators! it's funny because the year of teacher training/student teaching we did crafts most days when we were at the university and most of my classmates didn't even bat an eye, but the whole time i was noticing how all of the teachers (men included) were really good at crafts.. all of them....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #88  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am a Customer Service Rep for a deep sea terminal and am responsible for the documentation of export containers going to Australia and the Mediterranean. I deal with truck drivers and shipping lines most of the day and am fortunate in that I work for a great company and love my job and my co workers. I have been there for 22 years and everyone knows how addicted to card making I am. I have enabled about 8 other ladies in our company and now they are also addicted and come to a workshop at my house once a month. We have a lot of fun....and are close friends.

My Gallery http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=25291

I would be delighted if you checked out my blog: http://www.justforfun.typepad.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #89  
Inking Addict

What a fun thread! I've read through each and every single response, and I find the variety of "real" jobs fascinating! Tobi, your song was just beautiful! Thanks for sharing it with us.

As for me, I'm a wildlife biologist specializing in birds. I go out and survey habitats, monitor sensitive species populations, perform wetland delineations...gosh, it sounds like I'm writing up my resume! LOL! I basically run around the forest having fun

On the side, I transcribe for my friend who is a Hollywood entertainment reporter. She interviews celebrities, producers, directors and writers. I just transcribed Hugh Jackman. *Sigh* Maybe one day she'll let me tag along with her!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2009, 11:04 PM   #90  
Pearl-ExPert

OMG TOBI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love your music. You are so angelic sounding and relaxing. I want to buy a cd from you.

I am an elementary ART teacher. I also own a chain of sports bars. I was able to retire at the young age of 47 with full pension because I started teaching so young. Teacher's pension would not keep me in paper though, thank god for the bars!

hmm there is a education/beer theme going on here lol

Last edited by Nicole's Mom; 05-06-2009 at 11:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2009, 11:35 PM   #91  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,087 Likes on 832 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgchicView Post
HA!!!!

I am a high school math teacher (oh, you didn't like math in high school? Wow, that is the first time anyone has told me that.) I've sold a few cards at work, especially in my department, and I give cards to all the secretaries and the people in my department. It's so easy to impress math people with crafty stuff. I was actually in charge of making big popup or interactive cards for the teachers that retired from our department before I got into stamping. I have one friend at work I have slowly brought over to the dark side, so we get to chat at lunch about the latest SCS topic or online shopping deal.

Only NINE more days left with students!!!!!!!!!!!!
I loved maths in school but had a pretty dire teacher most of the way through. She was a really good mathematician and a lovely person, . but not a good teacher. The only two good maths teachers I had (covering sick leaves, so on) were both American. Could be coincidence, but there you are. I sure wish I hadn't been moved up to the high stream and bad teacher 6 weeks into my first year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2009, 11:52 PM   #92  
Compulsive Stamper

Prior to April 3rd I was a loan processor at an international bank in New England. I had been there for 5 years. Prior to that I am a jack of all trades. I have been in Customer Service with a large Medical Insurance Company on the Medicare Irate line, Office Administrator/Registrar/Liaison for a hospital ER/EMS Dept/Paramedic School, taught computer literacy to homeless, and was a Realtor (among others.) But, right now I am a laid off mom of 1 daughter 15 months old from China and two cats and a dog and my second child, my husband. So, actively looking for a job and freaking out about not having an income besides hubby's. Most of the people at my previous jobs know about my dabbling in Scrapbooking and recently the few random cards I have made at home parties. We are pretty close. Since having a degree in History got me nowhere I love to write and journal it's the creative part I have problems with. I have had two books published but nothing in circulation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 12:02 AM   #93  
Insane Embellisher

I just retired April 1st!! I was the Vice President of Workers' Compensation Claim Administration for a multi-national bank. Craftiness didn't really fit well in that atmosphere so only a few of my direct reports knew anything about my hobby.

Last edited by Skippet; 05-07-2009 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: oh, what I would give for spellcheck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 02:00 AM   #94  
Stazon Splitcoast

i work full time at a bank as a teller.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 02:42 AM   #95  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm a professor at mathematics at the local college.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 03:02 AM   #96  
Chat Box Chick

I was a SAHM for 10 years. Then as the kids got a little older, I went back to school. Now I am a Medical Records Coder for an Inpatient Physical Rehab Center and for a Home Care/ Hospice company.

But stampin' is more fun. :mrgreen:

My Blog- Inky's Delight
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 03:51 AM   #97  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by quirky62View Post
That song is lovely; you have a truly beautiful voice! This thread was a great idea- it's nice to learn about the 'other' side of my stamping friends' lives.

I am a librarian and work in a public library near my home. I love my job. I run book groups, teach computer classes and work at the adult reference desk.
I am married and have two boys ages 19 and 15. Stamping and reading are my passions.

Oh, your job sounds wonderful! I have an MA in English and adore libraries.

I used to teach college English as an adjunct instructor and worked as a writer/editor in marketing. I've thought about going back to get a degree in library science (or whatever they call it these days) but have two small boys (9 and 6). The 6yo has mild autism and requires too much of my time yet to do anything outside the home. Eventually, I may pursue library work or freelance writing.

But right now, I'm needed at home...which means plenty of spare minutes in the day to spend time here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 03:58 AM   #98  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, Toby, your song is beautiful! I admire anyone who can just carry a tune...my voice is best only heard by my husband, who sings as badly as I do! But your voice is amazing!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us stamping nuts.

I didn't start stamping until I became a SAHM. Everyone who knows me now knows about my obsession...I mean, hobby. Most are very nice about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 04:08 AM   #99  

Received 215 Likes on 193 Posts

Lovely song....
I am the mother of 2 grown boys....I have my own home daycare business which really keeps me on my toes. I have my E.C.E. and taught preschool for many years. Just love being with all my little ones...
Just don't get enough time for stamping.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 04:22 AM   #100  
Insane Embellisher

I am a SAHM to 3 wonderful very busy kids. I volunteer at the elementary school, I coach baseball, i organize the fundraiser for the athletic association, I take care of uniforms for the association, I have two regular monthly stamp clubs and a house and a husband to take care of and now I am trying to add a perdiem position in a surgery center. That is my full time and mandatory overtime position.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 04:36 AM   #101  
Crimping Master

Beautiful song. My voice is best only heard by my kids or people that have had enough to drink that they don't notice how bad it is.

I am an Army wife and SAHM to 3 girls. I always think I may get back into working, at least part-time when they are all in school, but that's a few years down the road. These days my time is mostly spent getting ready for an upcoming move. Pretty much everybody that knows me for more than an hour knows I like to stamp and make cards, among other things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 04:44 AM   #102  
Crimping Master

I have been a SAHM of 2 kids for the last 19 years. My two are 18 and 16. I am now contemplating what to do when my dh and I become empty nesters in a few years. DH says I can do whatever I want, I can just stay home and take care of him and that is fine (he is so awesome!). My major was in accounting but I haven't worked in that field in over 20 years and not sure I want to now. I know the Lord has something in store for me and he will let me know when the time is right.

I got into stamping about 8 years ago and love it. All my friends know that I stamp and a lot of them do as well.

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 05:02 AM   #103  
Die Cut Diva

I am a SAHM of 3 kids (15,12, almost 9). Which for some reason still does not leave enough time to stamp as much as I want. In my pre-kid life I was a cpa/tax accountant. I worked part time for awhile after the first 2 kids and hope some day to go back to work. Crazy, but I do miss working.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 05:10 AM   #104  
Kookie Creator

Wow I am Impressed by what everybody is doing!!!!
I am a....
Mom,Wife,Volunteer. I have 3 kids two of which are teenagers.
I am a volunteer teachers assistant for Kindergarten and most day I love it!!!! I am goin on 6 years now.
I teach stamping and other crafts to little children all the way up to 80+. I enjoy it and so do they!!!
I spend way to much time driving kids to things!!!!
Not as exciting as a wildlife biologist or a singer/song writer or a host of other cool things
but very rewarding!!!!! I am very happy where I am I have found my calling Volunteer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 05:15 AM   #105  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!
Default Great thread!!

Hummmmmm I am a licensed cosmetologist, but not practicing anymore and haven't for 10 years. But I have worked in the bookkeeping area for the past 10 years and I am getting totally discouraged because I want to craft all the time!!! LOL. But I am good with numbers and do what I can do. I was hoping to quit work but with the economy and my husband is in commercial lumber sales I'm glad I didn't. But soon I will find that perfect job that let's me creative outlet FLOW!!

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 05:18 AM   #106  
Rubber Obsessor

I am an RN and I work in the nursery at a small community hospital. i have been a nurse for 25 years. I also have 2 children ,they are 30 and 12.Plus.I have a basset hound who is very needy.I work 12 hr shifts ,so I only work 3 days a week, which gives me plenty of time to spend with my craft projects and SCS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 05:27 AM   #107  
Matboard Maniac

Well, I'm like the bunny that keeps going and going. This is my 41st year as a teacher. I retired from NC after 33 years for 2 days, got bored, and reapplied my a job in Virginia teaching and got it. Since I'm a Special Eduacation and have to have regular teachers at IEP meeting, I send thank you cards. ( That's to justify my extremely expensive stamping habit) I also made Christmas cards for everyone. Stamping keeps me sane at times.

sam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 05:34 AM   #108  
Duchess of CBCs

I am an Access Planner for a Long Distance company, everyone who knows me knows I like to stamp and create.

We had bring your child to work day a week or so ago and two of the girls were getting bored so everyone asked if I had anything they could work with. Of course I had some stamped images and cardstock.. so the girls colored and made cards the rest of the day. That reminds me, I need to stock up on the fun stuff at work :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 05:41 AM   #109  
Polyshrink Goddess

I run this place! Just kidding, I'm a receptionist/office manager. Since I could answer the phones while balancing my check book, I have alot of time on my hands. If only I could set up a stamping area at work. I sure have the time to work on my crafts. I'm sure glad I found SCS. My co-workers know about my crafty side and I've just been commissioned to make all the birthday cards in the office. My boss says I might as well get paid instead of Hallmark. Tobi- I can't wait to listen to your song when I get home- my 'puter here doesn't have speakers.

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 06:00 AM   #110  
Matboard Maniac

This is a really fun thread!
I am a Piano Teacher, and I LOVE IT!! This is my third season teaching, and before that i bounced around a lot. I only work 10 months of the year, and I only teach in the afternoons and evenings, so my mornings are free to stamp/scrap etc. Some of the teachers I work with at a studio know of my 'hobby' but consider it quite nerdy... Although they were impressed with the christmas cards that I handed out!! I took a day off of work in march to attend a scrapping retreat, and my boss thought I was nuts!

I'm getting married this summer, and we're moving to a small town, so I have to leave my students behind, and it's quite sad! We're not sure what I'm going to do after the wedding, but we plan on starting a family sometime soon, and then I will be a proud SAHM. I'm looking forward to it! Our goal is to own and run our own music studio/store some day, so we'll see what happens!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 06:25 AM   #111  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

Sorry Tobi I had to come back and listen to your music........OMGosh, beautiful!! Your voice is gorgeous.

Thanks for sharing something so worth sharing that just happens to be not related to crafts- at least paper or stamping.

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 06:32 AM   #112  
scrapperazzi

I work in Food Security. (Food Security is the ability for everyone to have access to healthy food, we teach people how they can obtain healthy food at home for themselves) Presently I am the project coordinator for my area. I run a Fresh Food Box and Collective Kitchens. In about a week I'll be starting a community garden. In the fall I teach people how to can their garden goods.

I love my job. I work from 9:30-1:30(or 2:00), the rest I do at home) so I don't have to pay for daycare for my 4 children. I have a great boss who understands the joys and challenges of having 4 children while pulling off a mostly full time job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 06:35 AM   #113  
Rubber Obsessor

I am a Forensic Scientist in Virginia and mom to 2 children.

Corrie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 06:40 AM   #114  
Gallery Gazer

I am curious...several moms have full-time jobs and seem to have plenty of time to create. How do you manage it? I feel like I am neglecting my child/DH when I go to craft. I feel like I am constantly moving...cleaning, cooking, etc. Anyone else feel like this? I see folks who are able to create, blog post almost everyday and are on SCS on a consistent basis. How do you do it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 06:43 AM   #115  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Does non-paying jobs count? LOL

I am a stay-at-home mom to my 3 girls but somehow stamping/paper crafts and Splitcoast Stampers has become my second jobs. I am on the Spellbinders Design team for this year. (my first projects are due today!) Plus I am a gallery moderator here on SCS. I really like volunteering my time here because I have learned so much from this site.

Tobi - your voice is just beautiful. What a wonderful gift you have and you are so creative with paper, too!!

Last edited by debbiemom23cs; 05-07-2009 at 06:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 06:45 AM   #116  
Mad Swapper

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I am a Senior Personnel Administrator in the Civil Hiring Unit of a police agency. I've converted two fellow employees to stamping...one even became a SU demo!! We have a group of about 10 in our building who stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 06:54 AM   #117  
Mad Swapper

I am a bank internal auditor. My job can kill a conversation so it will probably kill this thread. My best customers are my co-workers so most know about my craft. My second job is grandma to a wonderful four year old grandson.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 08:24 AM   #118  
Stampin' Fool

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Great thread! Loved your song and voice - mine should only be heard in my head!

I work in a facilities department at an ivy league university (since I am in upstate NY, you can guess that it is Cornell!) where I create floor plans and maps. My coworkers have no interest in my hobby but did appreciate my little scrapbooks that I created for those that retired.
Karen

Karen ... Murphy's Law
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #119  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am a Family Case Manager for the Indiana Department of Child Services. I sell to a few of my coworkers. I became involved in stamping at my last place of employment, a mental hospital. There I developed and ran a vocational workshop where mentally retarded mental patients made greeting cards to sell. When I was asked to do this, I scouted out stamp companies, because I had never heard of it before and discovered Stampin' Up!. Of course, I became hooked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #120  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahYView Post
My job can kill a conversation so it will probably kill this thread.
I can certainly relate to that!
Reply With Quote Likes