Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-28-2005, 03:11 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you have a "style"?

Do you feel that your work is easily recognizable as "yours"? Do you tend to lean towards certain types of sets?
I don't think I have a particular stamping "style". I seem to let the set I'm working with dictate what I do with it. There isn't one type of set I'm drawn to, unless you count flower or nature sets, but even the flower sets I own run the gamut of styles from cute to elegant.
I know I've gotten comments saying, "I knew it was your work as soon as I saw it!", but I can't see any unifying theme in my gallery. :?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2005, 03:24 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy Heart, I think that I'm like you. It all depends on what set I'm using.

Where in New Hampshire do you live? My DH is from Manchester NH. We hope to "retire" there some day.
Have a great day!
*Ü*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2005, 03:30 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

your gallery is awesome! you're the one who did the In Full Bloom Hedgie umbrella! That went into my faves in a heart beat!! Actually I just added some more!!!

It's hard to asnwer that question...I do have some people say they can recognize my work in swaps...but then again, I tend to gravitate toward certain color combos and layouts - so, that's probably why

obviously you've been stamping for years...and think outside the box (playboy bunny, crude 'load' and 'shady deal' to name a few)

I tend to notice you do great focal point work - know definitely how to draw attention to the main focal point without distracting from it with your other images.

you're right about the variety of cute to elegant - nice balance!

for me, I love the cute stuff but I do better with the elegant for some reason...but I am trying to think outside the box more!!

thanks for sharing your gorgeous & creative work with us!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2005, 03:54 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I don't think I really have a "style" either. I kinda wish I did, lol. I goto through my gallery like someone else would and look for some kind of unifying element or theme. I can't find any lol :lol: Like you, I really don't have a particular style of stamp that I like, so that may be part of it. I hope someday we will both be able to figure out our style

My work and the card sketches
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2005, 04:16 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Happy Heart, your stuff is beautiful!
Personally, I think I have a style. I've only been stamping for a year (scrapbooking for about 4 years), so maybe I'll change over time. I personally go for simple, cute and (hopefully) classy. I try not to put too much "stuff" on a card so that the focal point really pops out. I'm definitely not a collage-style person. I wish I could say this "less is more" card style translated to my shopping style...NOT! You should see my craft room -- absolutely no wall space because of all the shelves and storage containers!
Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2005, 05:42 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Please don't let me be a thread-killer on this! I really like the questions Happy Heart posted and am curious about what other people have to say! Do you have a "style"? I'm so new to all of this -- I'd love to learn about other "styles" that are out there! Tell me about yours so I can check out your galleries!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2005, 06:04 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great question! I hate to "box myself in" to any particular style.

I do go through phases in what I gravitate to. When I began, I loved cute and country. Then, I got into scenic stamping. Then, I fell in love with collage. Then, I got into all the complicated artsy stuff.

Now, I'm into retro and whimsical (but not necessarily cute?). Florals I have always loved and always will; they dominate my collection of stamps AND tend to be the first sets I reach for and I like all styles of florals from botanical/realistic to swank!

I love to draw on the little ideas I see other artists use and try to give them my own flair when I incorporate them into my work.

However, while I don't think of myself as having a particular style, I've had the same comments as you, Happy Heart--that someone knew it was my work right off the bat. I really can't figure out HOW they knew it was mine????? I'm stumped on that.

But, recently, I did a card that really stunned everyone when they discovered it was my creation. It used eggplant and black, with heavy silver embossing. I think that whole combination was very modern, and very heavy metal looking and it was totally unlike me????

It has gotten positive and negative reactions (I don't happen to like it, but had several customers go NUTS over it!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2005, 06:06 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't *think* that I do... I try to keep it simple and somewhat elegant/classy.... I try the collage thing, and it just doesn't work out for me! LOL

I think that this is an interesting topic and would love to see what everyone else's style is!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2005, 06:07 PM   #9  
The Digi-Freak

I dunno. Maybe retro?

I got the ME thing goin' on ;) whatever THAT means ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2005, 06:18 PM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think I really have a style, but I can look at certain stamp sets and immediately say "that's NOT my style"!!! LOL! I do love florals and I still enjoy "cute" although not as much as when I was a new stamper.

I'm a big fan of both Happy Heart and JulieHRR and I can't explain exactly why your cards just "look like YOU". :?

I just scanned Happy Heart's gallery again and I agree with the comment above about the focal point thing. Another things inoticed was an overall wonderful sense of COLOR

To me Julie's stuff tends to have a "FRESH" quality...can't really explain it.

Interesting topic.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 05:47 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I try the collage thing, and it just doesn't work out for me!
:lol: :lol: :lol: I know what you mean. I love the collage look, but never seem to be able to pull it off to my satisfaction.
Although I love the "clean and simple" look, I'm not too adept at that, either. I always have to add a "little something" to the cards I design....a bow, a charm, etc. So I guess my style's somewhere in between.
Looking through my gallery with all your comments in mind, I was able to see some of the things you mentioned. It will give me a bit more focus when I'm designing.
Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 06:46 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Of an interesting note, that some may not be aware of with regards to style, I learned, when I first started stamping 12 years ago, that there were 2 camps of stampers:

Avante garde (also referred to as "weird") and Mainstream (also referred to as "cute").

There also appeared to me to be a sort of "rivalry" between these 2 camps, much to my surprise!

If you have a chance to glance at an old issue of Rubber Stamper magazine and compare the artwork in it, to say, an old Stamper's Sampler or Rubber Stamper magazine, you'll get a drift of what I'm saying!

However, over the years since I started stamping, I've noticed that the two camps have somewhat merged and the distinction between the two styles has rather blurred, at least, from what I see.

When Somerset Studio launched its premiere issue, I fell in love with collage and explored that quite a bit. The artwork became increasingly complex over the years, and quite "artsy". It got to the point where I dropped my subscription because I couldn't afford to purchase all the equipment and supplies the emerging paper artists were using (Lazertran was not cheap when it was initially introduced!), nor did I want to spend one hour creating a card . . . a piece of art that could be framed and displayed is one thing, but a card?

While I love "shabby chic", there seems quite a bit of overkill on it in the scrapbooking industry, IMHO. . . and sometimes, when I attempt the look in my card designing, I find it very time-consuming, so I don't do it very often.

{{{{{{{{{{{{Jami}}}}}}}}}}} I thank you for your kind words!

And, Happy Heart, your work is striking and you are always doing something that draws my attention! Whatever "your" style is, I love it! So, keep on inspiring us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 07:01 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Your work is stunning and you have a very good eye for color, face it girl we like your "style". Keep up the good work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 08:47 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Yeah, I can sum up my style in one word: DRAGONFLIES!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 09:05 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default stamp style

I love to cut!!! It is very relaxing I wanted to use that name here "Ilove2cut" But thought I may scare people You all inspire me so much alot of great talent and so many different styles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 09:17 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

I'm a flower freak! I had never noticed it until I was going through all of my sets and the cards that I had posted in my gallery. I also like trying different techniques, then modifiying them to see what I can come up with. I have also been going through a "matting" phase. lol. I like retro, collage, artsy, but I'm not much of a cutsy stamper although I have done a few of those and liked them. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 10:19 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

I like my cards to be simple. Sweet and simple - and glittered. Yes, definitely love Dazzling Diamonds.
- Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 11:21 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I love to cut!!! It is very relaxing
So do I! It gives stamping much more dimension when you aren't afraid to cut. I think I do it on almost every card I make! (It's especially useful when you flub up!)

Julie,
Thanks for the kind words! I've been in a creative slump lately, and your comments are encouraging.
You know that I've always loved your work. I consider you to be much more than a stamper...you are a true artist!
Reply With Quote Likes