Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-15-2005, 04:36 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do You Keep Your Cardstock Scraps?

Do you keep your cardstock scraps?
Can you use them on cards?
How do you use them?

Mary
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 04:47 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

I save ALL my scraps (cardstock, papers, etc.) unless they are too small to stamp on or use as an embellishment. I have a filing system...I use hanging file folders and use one for my cardstock, one for the background papers and one for scraps. Each in their own color. i.e. I have red cardstock, red background papers and red scraps in pendaflex folder (each in their own file folder). Make sense? I've found that doing this saves a lot of paper...I don't waste as much cardstock this way.

HTH
Jeri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 04:48 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I keep mine only if they are a quarter sheet or larger, generally speaking. Otherwise, it gets to be too much to keep up with and I'm trying to avoid clutter this year! I use what I keep for other cards, matting photos and tags. Just really depends on the size of the paper!

Renee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 04:48 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I keep them in photo storage boxes: one box for SS, one for EE, one for BB, one for RR & one for neutrals. I wasn't using them when they were all jumbled together. Now that they are sorted by color family, I find I'll do a quick search to find something when I'm working on a project.

I let my kids use them for crafts.

My kids also like to sit & punch with different punches and sometimes not even create anything, so when they use my scrap, I don't feel like they are 'wasting' cardstock.

I offer my scraps to my neighborhood stampers on occassion. (that sounds rude, doesn't it?

I was thinking about offering packets of 1/2 pound scraps for sale; my customers could pick & choose the scraps they want. BUT I don't know if this is within SU's policies, I still need to check that before I attempt this.

Could they be used as a door prize or is that too lame? I suppose I could take the larger scraps and go to a scrapbook store and use the diecut machine and make different dies as use those as door prizes?

Anyone else out there with any ideas?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 04:50 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

i keep almost all of it!!!!! lol i have small punches that i use with the small peices, and save those punchies in a ziplock for a later use.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 04:51 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, yes, yes, keep your cardstock scraps. There have been several threads on this subject, one not too long ago (probably this week), with lots of great ideas on storing as well as using them - check the forums, or maybe someone posting after will remember.

Personally, I store larger scraps (>2") sorted by color family in a gallon ziploc bag, and smaller scraps in a smaller bag. Uses include layering, photo corners, frames, strips (as embellishments), and my all-time favorite - punches!!
Psalm 113:3

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 04:51 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I keep almost all my scraps, they make great tags, matting, etc. I use them on many of my cards. If you would like some card ideas with scraps, visit my gallery. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 04:59 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Yep, I keep nearly all of them too...by color family. I generally look at them first, as it saves time in throwing a card together.

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 05:04 PM   #9  
Buttered Noodle Mingler

I won't tell you what my family says about me, but I keep my scraps, anything that's at least a 1" x 1". Yes, it's sad, but i do use every piece. I have them organized in labeled plastic ziplock bags in a shoe box. Each bag has the dimensions marked and it makes it real easy to find little pieces. It's also a great way to always have the common pieces on hand. By common, I mean I have plenty of white & vanilla card stock pre-cut from scraps and I use them on almost every card.

Yikes! Should I have made little secret public knowledge? :oops:

Michele Y
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 05:07 PM   #10  
Mal
Matboard Maniac

I keep mine as well. I have them stored in a 3" binder inside page protectors. Each page protector has a label of the color and the colors are sorted by color groups. Plus one for white and vanilla. So 50 page protectors in the binder, if that makes any sense. It easy to see if I have any of that color or if I need to cut up a full sheet for whatever card I'm making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 05:12 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peggylouise
I was thinking about offering packets of 1/2 pound scraps for sale; my customers could pick & choose the scraps they want. BUT I don't know if this is within SU's policies, I still need to check that before I attempt this.

Could they be used as a door prize or is that too lame? I suppose I could take the larger scraps and go to a scrapbook store and use the diecut machine and make different dies as use those as door prizes?

Anyone else out there with any ideas?

I don't know about offering them for sale, pretty sure that's against SU policy.

I like the door prize tho, one of my best door prizes is baggies of stamped images on white cs. My customers love them! They are still buying stuff and the hope is that they will get hooked on a set. (I don't include more than image in a baggie) Cardstock could be the same way...people don't realize the quality until they use it.

Shannon H
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 05:16 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I save all but the tiny pieces of scraps. I do use a lot of the scraps on other cards or in my scrapbooks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 05:32 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I keep almost all of my scraps. I have some that are 1/4 in wide! You never know when you might want to do something with them. (Of couse I also belong to JCA - junk collectors annonymous ) I used to have my paper cutter at the edge of my table with a box big beside it. Inside the box was a shoe box where all my scraps I wanted to keep ended up. The rest of the big box was for anything was throwing away. Now, I don't have the space for that set up, not to mention it was a pain trying to see if I had any small pieces of the color I wanted so I sorted the scraps and keep them in 5 gallon size zip lock bags. 1 for each color family + 1 for neutrals. (I don't use the designer paper - yet) It is very interesting to see how everyone else organizes their work areas & materials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 06:02 PM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Scraps

What a GREAT forum and what interesting ideas everyone has for storing and saving scraps. I use one of those school crates and store 48 vanilla folders in there all labeled and alphabetical with the Stampin UP colors and put MOST all scraps in there so they are easy to find. I use them everyday and always go to the crate before I cut a whole sheet of cardstock. I do many stamp camps as well and this is a huge saver on paper to be able to scrape up enough scraps as opposed to having to cut up new. All white scraps go in the bottom drawer of my 7 drawer organizer for easy access. I have a paper rack like you would find at a scrapbooking store that holds entire packs (actually up to 3 packs) of all of the 48 Stampin UP colors so that works wonderful too!!! I love my cardstock. LOL

Thanks for sharing and Good Luck organizing your scraps.

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 06:03 PM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Scraps

What a GREAT forum and what interesting ideas everyone has for storing and saving scraps. I use one of those school crates and store 48 vanilla folders in there all labeled and alphabetical with the Stampin UP colors and put MOST all scraps in there so they are easy to find. I use them everyday and always go to the crate before I cut a whole sheet of cardstock. I do many stamp camps as well and this is a huge saver on paper to be able to scrape up enough scraps as opposed to having to cut up new. All white scraps go in the bottom drawer of my 7 drawer organizer for easy access. I have a paper rack like you would find at a scrapbooking store that holds entire packs (actually up to 3 packs) of all of the 48 Stampin UP colors so that works wonderful too!!! I love my cardstock. LOL

Thanks for sharing and Good Luck organizing your scraps.

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 06:08 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I keep all but my smallest scraps. If I use part of an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet I will cut it in half and then I have a scrap and a card base ready to use. I put each color in in it's own medium cello bag (see page 221 of the catty - I actually get them from a local paper store for about 2cents each) and store it with the matching cs. That way when I go to get a color, I know immeadiately, without fishing through piles of scraps, if I need to use a new sheet or not. I have tried other methods and this is the only one where I actually use my scraps.

Karen

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/kzimbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 06:20 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

I not only keep my scraps (also in shoe box containers with ziplock bags and mailing lables showing color and family), but I keep the little tiny torn pieces, etc. What I do with these pieces is make new paper from it! Very easy! I plan on making up some cards soon with my most recent batch of "homemade" paper - I'll be sure and post some.

To make the paper you need:

Screen (see below)
9X12 cooking pan
blender
newspaper
old pillow case (this will stain)
sponge
iron

It's best to have a small frame with screen on it (this can be made with 1X1 wood and screen stapled on - or you can purchase one in a set for children that comes with a book of ideas)

Simply put your scaps in a blender with water and gently blend. Leave some small chunks in the sludge to give the paper personality. Pour the sludge into a 9X12 and dip in your screen (with the screen up) until covered. Pull screen up and tap gently to remove extra water.

On the side, have a small pile of newspaper with an old pillowcase on top. Turn the screen upside down on the towel and use sponge to remove excess water. Pull up one side of the screen and slowly remove (paper should stay put). Fold pillow case over paper and use iron to remove water until steem stops. The paper will still be damp, so gently pull it off on the side and allow it to air dry.

Sounds like a ton of work, but you can get a lot of beautiful papers from one batch.
Reply With Quote Likes