Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #41  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ijust wanted to let you know that I just loved the quote you used at the end of your post. It is so "perfect" for me. Thank you for this little God-wink.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #42  
Cardstock Collector

I make my own background paper more often than not. I just think it's so much fun! I have tons of designer paper, but rarely use it. If I have a piece of designer paper that I don't really like it, I even stamp on it to make to my own!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #43  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,129 Likes on 508 Posts

I had some messy fun making some backgrounds with stencils and acrylic paint today - these are stencils designed by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer, and there are stamps that coordinate with the stencils available through Impression Obsession... I'll add the stamping later, but needed to get the messy part done while I had paints to borrow! So much fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Do You Make Your Own Backgrounds?-img_1395c.jpg  
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I had some messy fun making some backgrounds with stencils and acrylic paint today - these are stencils designed by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer, and there are stamps that coordinate with the stencils available through Impression Obsession... I'll add the stamping later, but needed to get the messy part done while I had paints to borrow! So much fun.

What a lovely mess!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #45  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For those who were interested in some stamped pattern samples, here is one I did with lots of different layering of stamping.
HYCCT1114 Razzled Serendipity by Misstreez - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Here are some that are made using the Cover A Card stamps which I love to use,
HYCCT1105 Pink Posy Circles by Misstreez - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
HYCCT1115 - Impressed by a Rose by Misstreez - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

And here I have written a tutorial using CAC's and watercolour crayons-
Watercolour Crayon Backgrounds � Misty's Mess

Hope these may be useful for those interesting in stamping your own backgrounds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
Dina, I LOVE your papers!! You could SELL those!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisstreezView Post
For those who were interested in some stamped pattern samples, here is one I did with lots of different layering of stamping.
HYCCT1114 Razzled Serendipity by Misstreez - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Here are some that are made using the Cover A Card stamps which I love to use,
HYCCT1105 Pink Posy Circles by Misstreez - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
HYCCT1115 - Impressed by a Rose by Misstreez - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

And here I have written a tutorial using CAC's and watercolour crayons-
Watercolour Crayon Backgrounds � Misty's Mess

Hope these may be useful for those interesting in stamping your own backgrounds.
WOW! They are beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial too!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #48  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
I love patterned paper, too, and you reminded me of the idea that it started with fabric! I have always loved fabrics but don't have any talent for sewing. Also, I see pretty fabric patterns and I think, I could make that color combination or pattern with paper and ink!

There was a time that I was drawn to beautiful linens and always wanted to buy a new tablecloth or sheets that I saw. Now I recognize that I just love the patterns and substitute the thought that I could make a card like that, and the urge to purchase goes away. Just another example of how stamping *saves* me money ;) ;) !
I SO relate to this! As a kid, accompanying my Mom to the fabric store, I'd often wander around seeing what prints would go with what solids... And yes, it's a lot easier and cheaper to indulge that interest with paper and cards instead of sewing projects!

For the person who asked about the Mega Mount, it's AWESOME. For any large stamp, not even a background stamp. The control is fabulous.

And with regards to the make-your-own or use a patterned paper, I am a complete flip-flopper! If I decide to stamp a b/g, I start thinking, "why don't I just use some of this ton of PP I have?" And if I decide to get out some PP, I start debating what to use with it and think, "why don't I just do one of those fabulous background techniques or use the darn stamps I've collected?" :rolleyes:

One other thought:
On Becca Feeken's blog a while back, she showed a brilliant way to get 2 coordinating papers. She had a floral patterned paper she liked but wanted to layer it with something a bit contrasting. She used a simple stripe background stamp on top of the floral. It created a variation like you'd find in a coordinated paper pack!
The best of both worlds!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #49  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

doing a workshop this weekend incorporating making their own BG (using water stamping) with OSW template. I just love learning techniques, which then gives me fun BG's
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 257 Likes on 138 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane617View Post
doing a workshop this weekend incorporating making their own BG (using water stamping) with OSW template. I just love learning techniques, which then gives me fun BG's
Oooh! Please share some results!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #51  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have forbidden myself patterned paper until I am experienced enough to make a well designed card without it. I also have not been using any embellishments at all since the beginning, although recently I permitted myself to buy some brads and twine (no ribbon yet). This was a decision I made when I started doing cards six months ago. I wanted to learn to do it without having DP, ribbon and other pretty bling to lean on.

Kind of weird, I know.

So to answer the question: I make all my own backgrounds. I do use background stamps, but I also do a lot of backgrounds just using stamps from my sets.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 09-15-2012 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 257 Likes on 138 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I have forbidden myself patterned paper until I am experienced enough to make a well designed card without it. I also have not been using any embellishments at all since the beginning, although recently I permitted myself to buy some brads and twine (no ribbon yet). This was a decision I made when I started doing cards six months ago. I wanted to learn to do it without having DP, ribbon and other pretty bling to lean on.

Kind of weird, I know.

So to answer the question: I make all my own backgrounds. I do use background stamps, but I also do a lot of backgrounds just using stamps from my sets.
Cheers to a stamping purist. I used to be more like you, but got sucked into some other things, but decorative paper is not one of them---unless it is recycled magazine pages, wallpaper samples and other things that might be thrown away---and then only as accents. Now, ribbon? That's another story!

Last edited by jeanne3579; 09-15-2012 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: Misspelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #53  
Kookie Creator

I love to make my own background paper. I all ready have the stamps and ink, and can make just the right shade of paper that I'm looking for.
Reply With Quote Likes