Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-04-2011, 08:14 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you still use this?

Hi all! In my continuous effort at purging and reorganizing my craft stuff, and in my brave effort at trying to go "cold turkey" in my stamp spending, I find things that I almost "forgot" that I have and then ask myself why in the first place did I buy this? I will share a few of them:

1. crimper - I didn't really use this the first time I got it but I find that it still puts a different "look" to my card, I haven't seen others use this lately, but I will continue using it

2. eyelets - ummm, I'd rather use brads and other self adhesive accessories.... which brings me to #3

3. eyelet setter - thank you to whoever invented the crop-a-dile, not only is this loud but it's tedious (for me at least)

4. brass templates - haven't used mine in a looonngg time and I don't think I'll use it again

5. stylus - maybe, not for the brass templates at least, but for something else which I haven't thought of yet

What about you? What other craft stuff do you still have that you haven't used in a long time? Will you continue using it? or just let it gather more dust?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am using my stylus at the moment to round my hydrangea punch flowers (I work it over the petals on a bit of stamping foam but I bet fun foam would work). I'm actually thinking about getting a larger one like they use in cake decorating. HTH with an idea to use it especially with all the 3D flower embellishments everyone is doing ATM.

Last edited by RiverIsis; 02-04-2011 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crimper: yes
eyelets: only jumbo ones
eyelet setter: no
brass templates: don't even remember when was last time I used them
stylus: yes, as RiverIsis said, round petals etc for some 3-d flowers, if it has thin tip I use it for scoring non straight lines etc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I still don't have a crimper, but want one every time I see something that calls for using it, like the sour cream containers for little treats. Also, I see some people put a piece of cardstock through the crimper and use it to pad their card in the envie when it has embellishments on it.

As for the stylus, I have a couple of those that I got to use with the brass templates. Decided brass templates were way too labor intensive, also got the Cuttlebug which does pretty embossing in a snap. I just saw a tutorial for making beautiful flowers with punches, and using the stylus to make the petals curl a little - good idea. Glad I have a stylus.

The main thing I use eyelets for these days is at the end of bookmarks, to thread a tassle through.

I have a hard time getting rid of things, because you never know when you might find another use for them, besides what they were originally intended for, lol.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

1. crimper- never really wanted one - enjoy the look of it used on cards but it just isn't something I ever desired.
2. eyelets- I prefer brads and adhesive gems but also use eyelets for bookmarks and corset cards for some of my female friends that enjoy them
3. eyelet setter- Still own 1- hate it- always did but own the cropadile and use it.
4. brass templates- I use embossing paste with mine, something different for card fronts
5. stylus- I use mine for several different things just never use it on dry embossing anymore that is what my CB is for, LOL.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

I was about to put the stylus in the charity box when I found this:

JustRite Friendship Blooms and Tutorial � JustRite Stampers � Spellbinders � Stamping � Amazing Paper Grace

Shows you how to make your own 3D flowers, using a stylus! This also will help me use up all those sheets of felt I have lying around, which I can't remember even buying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

The cupcake craze has given the crimper a new lease on life! People are using it to crimp the cupcake "wrapper" to give it a more realistic look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikebanaView Post
Hi all! In my continuous effort at purging and reorganizing my craft stuff, and in my brave effort at trying to go "cold turkey" in my stamp spending, I find things that I almost "forgot" that I have and then ask myself why in the first place did I buy this? I will share a few of them:

1. crimper - I didn't really use this the first time I got it but I find that it still puts a different "look" to my card, I haven't seen others use this lately, but I will continue using it

2. eyelets - ummm, I'd rather use brads and other self adhesive accessories.... which brings me to #3

3. eyelet setter - thank you to whoever invented the crop-a-dile, not only is this loud but it's tedious (for me at least)

4. brass templates - haven't used mine in a looonngg time and I don't think I'll use it again

5. stylus - maybe, not for the brass templates at least, but for something else which I haven't thought of yet

What about you? What other craft stuff do you still have that you haven't used in a long time? Will you continue using it? or just let it gather more dust?
I use my stylus on every card to at least score it in half, it is great for decorative lines and 3D items as well. I also use my crimper for texture and eyelets all the time. Like you, I don't use my eyelet setter as much since getting my CROP-O-DILE, but I do keep it for setting eyelets in the middle of the page. Haven't used my brass stencils in quite a while though.

I recently gave away a ton of decorative scissors that I have not used since my early days of papercrafting, and recently used my pastel chalks for the first time in... 2 years? I have a Fiskars... paper shaper cutter? with stencils that I am considering getting rid of, I don't use it much since investing in Nesties. I have a Bind-it-All I have never used that I should probably find a new home for as well. I am sure there are other items that I just can't remember at the moment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 824 Likes on 541 Posts

Hi Tina!

crimper: yes, I use mine quite a bit. Like Rubbernecker said, it's fun to use for cupcake wrappers on cards.

eyelets/eyelet setter: nope; never bought any.

brass templates/stylus: nope; never bought any.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Crimper: I use mine every now and then, sure comes in handy when I need it....like to squeeze the last of the toothpaste out of the tube when I forgot to buy more!

eyelets/setter: I had not used any of my stash until just recently. Vow to use more this year or get rid of them.

Brass templates: Well darn, I forgot I had so many and I have not been using them but may now that I have been reminded to use embossing paste which is just sitting in the draw.

Stylus: Use it daily for one reason or another, just not on my brass templates, go figure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Oh yes. I still have a light box that I keep hanging onto "just in case"! Someone needs to give me a just in case quick of it is going out the door this year!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Let's see
Crimper- use now and then
eyelets-rarely
Martha Stewart glue pad and refill (got it as a gift and haven't a clue what to do with it) Any suggestions out there...
Stylus, use it all the time to do flowers
my biggest catergory is stamps, a lot of them just sit there and they don't see any ink. Guess my tastes have changed and they no longer work for me.

Crop a Dile-love it, use it all the time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

i cant get the hang of the cropadile.....hence i dont do eyelets, brads are so much easier. i bought some gina k brads that you just bend the edges thinking i would use them. nope. where the heck did i stash them?

crimper ... rarely...never get it straight !

brass stencils....that's funny, i forgot abut them. i have quite a few....have the paste so maybe i should get some out and goop them up.

i have tim holtz sticky pins that you can put tiny tags or sentiments on....had to have them, never used them. not once.

stylus.....yep, use several sizes....nice to do think lines on the scorbuddy....and flowers

pretty "glass" tipped hat pins.....thought they would be super stuckin bows. used one? not me.

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

1. crimper - I've wanted one just to have around, but never ended up buying one.

2. eyelets - I use them occasionally.. I have a CAD and it's easy!

3. eyelet setter - yah no... that's so 5 years ago for me.

4. brass templates - I have 3 or 4 and was never impressed with them.. GONE!

5. stylus - nope.. it's with my brass templates.. Wherever that is.

-I have a Bind-it-all that I rarely use, as well as 10 packs of coils!!
-I have lots of that "fiber" ribbon stuff.. Basic Grey used to sell it. It's ugly and I don't know why I bought it.
- Chalks
- Lots of embossing powders
- Lots of big paper packs with some pretty papers and a lot of ugly!! lol

So yah.. I have a lot of stuff I don't use, but I have no problems saying goodbye to it and have been selling it off in small chunks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I love my crimper and use it all the time.

eyelets -- just used two the other day - first time in ages

Eyelet setter -- I keep it to do eyelets in places the cropadile won't reach. Never bought the big bite - that puppy is huge!

brass templates -nope, never even went there.

stylus - mine are with my paints. The only time I use them in papercrafting is when I want to fake some brads with acrylic paint.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

crimper - I have one somewhere but I have no idea where. One of the kids might have used it for something. I hardly ever used it myself.

eyelets - I've been using them again after not using them at all for a few years. And yep, I use the old-fashioned setter and hammer!

I never got into the brass templates and stylus embossing thing. My cards didn't have any embossing on them until I got my Cuttlebug and embossing folders.

One thing I have that I never used is my brayer. Not sure why. I should get ahold of some tutorials and try to do something with it. I found it in a box yesterday so I know where to go.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Standard Crimper! Instead of buying a long die to make pleated flowers, I use my crimper and do the same thing!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

1 . crimper - My crimper was dust catcher until I fgiured how to crimp ribbon, not I'm using it all the time - see here

2. eyelets - every now and then - they still look cute for a twine clothsline, ribbon on a tag. I got rid of most of mine and just a few colors, gold, antique brass, etc.

3. eyelet setter - Keeping it because I still scrunch eyelets with my Big Bite

4. brass templates - I kept some becaue you can use them like a plastic embossing folder and everynow and then I like to use them with embossing paste

5. stylus - not for the brass templates but I use them to score and work with metal

6. Qulling paper and tools - I tried it don't like it but can't seem to let go.

7. Light Box - keep thinking something may come up but it hasn't been turned on in 2 years.

8. Melting Pot - used it for UTEE once and beeswax once a couple of years ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

This post is very timely. I have been in the process of cleaning out my craft room and currently I have 2 boxes and 3 bags of "stuff" that I am taking to my local scrapbook store to donate. OMG I am a paper hoarder. I cannot believe how much paper I have or should say had. Also getting rid of that light box that I haven't used in years, stencils who needs them now that I have a Cricut, stamps that I bought 15 years ago when I first started stamping and tons of other stuff I don't use aymore. There are 2 women who frequent the scrapbook store that work with foster children and help them to make scrapbooks for their friends and foster families to give them a better sense of home. So all this stuff is going to a very good cause and I know it will be used and appreciated.

Cheryl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

Yes, on the crimper. Love the Crimped Diamond tutorial and just learned how to use it for a great look around another die--not sure where I have that bookmarked. Also for cupcake wrapper, filler, and other things for cards and scrapbooking,

Stylus--use for scoring and getting rid of the little gunkies around my things I xyron

Eyelets--yep but use my cropadile

Heck I still use my patterned scissors--why invest in a ton of new punches when I have the same thing in a scissor

If I bought it I will use it even the paper doesn't quite thrill me anymore. Once you cut it up, run it through the crimper or an embossing folder, etc any paper looks cute again in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
1 . crimper - My crimper was dust catcher until I fgiured how to crimp ribbon, not I'm using it all the time - see here
Well, gosh! Your crimped ribbon technique just pushed me over the edge. Now I NEED a crimper.

Really cute card you used it on, too.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

I never use my chalk, I can't stand the sound/feel of using it, it's like nails on a chalk (lol) board, I've moved them around my craft area a dozen times and don't know why I just don't rid of them!

I used my crimper for the first time ever this Christmas, I made my own "filler" for some gifts. I ran the paper through the crimper and then through a paper shredder and used it to stuff in gift bags.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

I still use my brass templates. Check out this video:
YouTube - How to use brass stencils with the Cuttle Bug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x23AHVBW7g0

I love my crimper.

I have recently discovered that I still like my decorative scissors for cute borders and giving a nice touch to geometric shapes for cards. I have a great variety and find sometimes you just don't want to get the machine out, so they come in handy.

Last edited by davesgram; 02-04-2011 at 07:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Having learned to make the crimper diamonds described by bound4london in post #20, I will never give up my crimper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh wow! Thanks for reminding me of other forgotten stuff........I forgot to add chalk, the light box and the bind it all. The only difference is that even though my bind it all is still mint in box (bought it three years ago) and all the accessories are untouched, I will keep it. It is the ONE thing that I know I will eventually get into (have been saying this for the last three years!!!!).

Thanks for all the great tips on using the stylus and the crimper. I'm loving the crimper more and more, especially if I can just have the paper straight when it comes out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I recently pulled out the Magic Matter - little metal button things that help you draw an even mat. I used them around an odd shaped stamp om my Christmas cards. It was a huge amount of work so I think I'll design my card next year to use layers from Cricut or Nesties but glad I had these this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 04:11 AM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

I'll keep my brass templates and light box. I think "old fashioned" embossing is so relaxing. I won't do it often tho.

I never have gotten a crimper. I went to a workshop on Thurs. night and there was a card that had a crimped piece of paper and it was a beauty of a card. I may still buy one! None of the people I sent cards to know if a technique is out of style!

I've never used eyelets much, but I will still keep my crop-o-dile...who knows, I may dig it out. I do like the large eyelets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 04:21 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Love this post............. thanks for all the good ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 04:37 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't read all the replies, but I have heard that u can use the brass templates in the cuddlebug etc to emboss. Haven't tried it yet. I have 3 crimpers, wavy, regular and and diamond design. Used ea. of them about once or twice, not in a long time now. Recently put 3 eyelets on (each) some cards, just to try to use them up, set with the crop-a-dile, eyelet setter got sold on ebay long ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 04:39 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

I use my crimper all the time to make inserts that go over the front of my card when it goes into the envelope to even out any bumpiness caused by brads or ribbon.

I also use my stylus for scoring along the groove in my fiskars paper cutter, so easy. Yet I do own a Scor-Pal AND the Martha Stewart scorer...at least a friend of mine benefits by regularly borrowing my Scor-Pal!

I have chalks that I am pretty certain I will never use, yet don't get rid of them...why??
TAC demo #2239
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 05:09 AM   #31  
Crimping Master

I used my chalks last night and it was really fun to color with them. I did discover that I enjoy using them much more if I tear off a small piece of makeup sponge to put in the "alligator clip" of the applicator instead of the traditional pom-poms that fit in the applicator. I got very smooth, even coverage that I never had when using the fuzzy pom-poms. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 05:45 AM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

Have you tried using your chalk with a brass template - it looks really good

Personally, I'd like to see more of the "old fashioned" stamping. Not to offend anyone, but so many cards I see don't have a lot of "stamping". I find that even I've have drifted more towards die cuts, embellishments, bling, etc. instead of stamping, coloring, chalking, etc.

This thread is great for making me think about getting back to some of the basics. But I'm not going to give up the convenience of using a BS, embossing folders, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 05:46 AM   #33  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampjourneyView Post
I used my chalks last night and it was really fun to color with them. I did discover that I enjoy using them much more if I tear off a small piece of makeup sponge to put in the "alligator clip" of the applicator instead of the traditional pom-poms that fit in the applicator. I got very smooth, even coverage that I never had when using the fuzzy pom-poms. :-)
Have to give this a try. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 05:55 AM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgulottaView Post
I use my crimper all the time to make inserts that go over the front of my card when it goes into the envelope to even out any bumpiness caused by brads or ribbon.
I love this idea! Thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Crimper sometimes, eyelets no, setter no, stencils no, but I use my stylus everyday. One of my favorite tools for 3-d flowers. I also use it to score with my paper cutter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 06:29 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love eyelets and use them when I can. I love my Crop-a-dile and use it for lots of things! I can punch through plastic with my 'dile. I wish I could use my crimper more. I have a few brass templates, but never use them. I don't use chalk anymore either. I do love my stylus's--they are great to push ribbon through small places, or strings. I have used them to puff up paper flower petals. They hold things in place with just a tiny amount of pressure. I do like them!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Crimper - yes. Ever since I saw this tutorial from Jan Tink: Ruffled Scalloped Edge

Brass Templates love them with embossing paste. Especially with chalking thru the template before applying the paste.

Stylus - use it, but not with brass templates. I'll use it as a scoring tool with one of my scoring boards - some cardstock seems to react better to the stylus than the official tool.

Eyelets - I have a ton of these from when I first started this hobby, because I needed lots and lots of colors, you know. But even with the Crop A Dile, I have a terrible time making the backs look nice, so I tend not to use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #38  
Inking Addict

Smile

Standard Crimper! Instead of buying a long die to make pleated flowers, I use my crimper and do the same thing!

Duh!!!! Why didn't I think of this as I was searching ebay for a rosette die!!! Thanks for the great idea and for saving me some money!!! This is great!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

1. crimper- not much, but don't want to get rid of it.
2. eyelets- I prefer brads and adhesive gems, but use them occasionally
3. eyelet setter- got rid of it and bought a Crop-O-Dile for when I do use eyelets
4. brass templates- got rid of them; bought a Cuttlebug
5. stylus- have one but never, ever use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
Crimper - yes. Ever since I saw this tutorial from Jan Tink: Ruffled Scalloped Edge

Made a different flower using this technique at Stamp Club!
Reply With Quote Likes