Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-20-2005, 09:23 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do you use....

For those of you who have stamped coasters have you actually used them? I have some of the tumbled tiles here I need to do something with. I thought I might stamps some coasters for us using Staz-On and Sharpies. I saw another thread discussing whether to seal them or not. If I stamp them I want to actually be able to use them with out the ink smearing.

Thanks

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2005, 09:30 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzanne
For those of you who have stamped coasters have you actually used them? I have some of the tumbled tiles here I need to do something with. I thought I might stamps some coasters for us using Staz-On and Sharpies. I saw another thread discussing whether to seal them or not. If I stamp them I want to actually be able to use them with out the ink smearing.

Thanks
i made some with staz on last year for xmas gifts.. i used the fruits... I and II.. cant remember their actual names... and french script.
they were just black adn white... stamped in staz on.. then baked.
i know for sure my grandmothers and my MIL's get used daily.. and they still look great.

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2005, 09:58 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I have made some and I do use them. I use Staz-on on tumbled tile (found at Home Depot) I have not sealed them and never had a problem. I also color them with sharpies.
The only time I have had problems with them are the ones I did at my demo's house with craft ink. She baked them and said they would not run. The first time I used it, the ink ran. So, I highly suggest using only Staz-on and/or sharpies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2005, 10:05 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I stamped my tumbled tiles with black Staz On, used chalks to color in the spots that needed color, and then sprayed them with clear sealer. I needed to seal mine because of the chalk, but I wouldn't think that you would since Sharpies are permanent and shouldn't run, fade, or rub off.

Go Seahawks!
Mom to Daniel (9) and Emily (6)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2005, 03:53 PM   #5  
Inking Addict

Can you put hot dishes from the oven on these or are they used for hot or cold drinks?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2005, 03:57 PM   #6  
Postapalooza Princess

I made some for each of my brothers last year for Christmas. I used Coast to Coast and Blue stazon--they use them all the time and the coasters have never smeared. I didn't seal them or bake them or anything. On one I tried to wash it off because I messed up and it wouldn't budge...so I figured they are safe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2005, 05:31 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinbuddy
Can you put hot dishes from the oven on these or are they used for hot or cold drinks?
You could if the dish were small enough or if you put several together under the hot dish, I suppose. I've never thought of that use before!

Go Seahawks!
Mom to Daniel (9) and Emily (6)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2005, 02:35 PM   #8  
Inking Addict

I guess I was thinking more in terms of a tile around 12 by 12 that could be decorated and used as a hot plate and would the decoration come off if something really hot was put on it? Has anyone had any experience with this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2005, 02:41 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinbuddy
I guess I was thinking more in terms of a tile around 12 by 12 that could be decorated and used as a hot plate and would the decoration come off if something really hot was put on it? Has anyone had any experience with this?
OH! Love that idea never thought of it before. I might have to try that for the holidays next year.

I used sealer on my tiles after I baked them. I have one I use everyday at work. I think I am a fan of stazon but of course I never used it. I found that after I pulled mine out of the oven the ink changed color only on the black. I used a blender pen and craft ink to color and that stayed great. JMO

ahahahahahDaynaahahahaha
Anyone can be an artist.....you just have to have the desire not to get up early in the morning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2005, 04:47 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

"I guess I was thinking more in terms of a tile around 12 by 12 that could be decorated and used as a hot plate and would the decoration come off if something really hot was put on it? Has anyone had any experience with this?"

Hi Stampinbuddy,

I made one this year! I have not put a dish directly from the stove/oven on it but have put hot food in a differant dish and placed it on the tile. The size I use is about a 5 1/2" x 5 1/2" tumbled tile from Lowe's called Rialto Beige. I think the were under a $1.00 each for individual tiles (there were some more expensive tiles but since I was experimenting I went for the lower price). I did the same thing I do for the coasters used staz-on to stamp the image and then colored in with chalks and then sealed the chalks with CE. I also used the bigger felt sizes on the bottom to prevent scratching up the counter or table.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2005, 05:03 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

My co-workers and I use the tiles I made last year daily on our desks at work. The ones I colored with chalk then sealed have not fared as well as the ones that were just black and white stamped with StazOn. I used a water based sealer, and I think that was the problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2005, 05:18 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have made trivets using the larger tumbled tile. I stamp with staz-on and put felt feet on the bottom. I have never sealed or baked either my coasters or trivets. I have used my coasters for 2 years with no problems. I have put hot pans, and casserole dishes from the oven directly onto the trivets with no problem. I have used the trivets for about a year.
Reply With Quote Likes