Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-19-2006, 02:26 PM   #41  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LMAO reading everyone's posts!

I'm a collector, too. But I have thousands of ideas for what to do with all of my sets!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2006, 02:39 PM   #42  
MnM
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW Junkie
I guess I'm in the minority--my stuff has to pull it's own weight or out it goes. Like this year I jumped from one fall set to three--so the old one has to go. Obviously it wasn't fulfilling my fall needs, or I wouldn't have had to buy the other two, right? I try and stick with just one or two sets for every different purpose.
I would feel really bad, rather than "good", looking at thousands of dollars worth of stamp sets sitting on the shelves. Seems like a waste. JMO.
My stamps do pull their own weight. My stamp room is in my basement. I have over 10,000 stamps down there. So the way I see it is that they are weighing down my house keeping it firmly attached to the earth.
So they are being used every day.
MnM
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2006, 02:43 PM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

are the husbands watching this thread???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2006, 04:02 PM   #44  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel much the same as stamps&cars....gotta have all the stuff on hand in order to be creative! I mount and use my new sets right away. I'm always so anxious to play with my new toys!
At the moment I have one set that's sitting unmounted (Lady Buds) because my hands aren't up to cutting the rubber at the moment. It's killing me because the images in that set are so cute![IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2006, 04:56 PM   #45  
Kookie Creator

Actually I use most of my stamps. I tend to go through phases though where I go nuts with a particular set and then it will sit a while. But I do have a problem hoarding my hodgepodge hardware. I guess because unlike a stamp which you can use over and over, the HH has only a limited supply.

If you really feel guilty then sell or trade some of your less used sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2006, 05:13 PM   #46  
Stampin' Fool

PinkKitty, you made my day along with all the other responses! I thought I was the only one who went to workshops and camps, bought the stuff - maybe dabbled a little - and just look at my stash with adoration! I am definitely a paper hoarder. I hate to part with my double sided designer paper because I figure that I'm "wasting" the backside, even if part of it can be seen if I turn a corner...lol! But there is light at the end of the tunnel! I have a few other workshops to go to, and then there is a lull with my friends having them through the holidays. I will be putting most of my supplies to work during the long, cold winter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2006, 07:06 PM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 677 Likes on 349 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbalcer
Sorry. . . this one had me rolling!
What does this mean?:confused: LM

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2006, 07:06 PM   #48  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MnM
My stamps do pull their own weight. My stamp room is in my basement. I have over 10,000 stamps down there. So the way I see it is that they are weighing down my house keeping it firmly attached to the earth.
MnM
YOU . . . are BRILLIANT! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2006, 08:07 PM   #49  
Rubber Obsessor

As soon as I saw the title of the thread, I started laughing so hard that tears began to roll. Good thing only one that heard me was the cat -- she came running to check on me!!

I used to feel kinda quilty that I had wonderful sets, lots of supplies, and many ideas but hadn't gotten to using most of them. Then while stamping at a friend's house, I saw that she had 26 sets on her shelf that hadn't even been mounted (and 5 of those were from the last SAB mini!!!!!!!!!!!) -- so I stopped feeling guilty by telling myself "at least all mine are lovingly mounted and placed in their proper groupings". And proceeded to helping her trim and mount hers before we stamped.

It is the same with being a member here -- I was a member for quite a long time faithfully reading the forums and going through the gallery before I used the Quick Reply box at the bottom of these threads. Then when I did a few posts, it was kinda sad to see the "title" under my name CHANGE so that I wasn't 'Cardstock Collector' anymore...at least that title had been truthful.

I love my stamps, I love my supplies, my SU demo has become a great friend, I cherish my time on SCS and all the wonderful people that share such beautiful work, and I feel great whenever I get a chance to be creative too and pass some smiles and joy along to my friends with the cards I make using "just the right" stamp on "perfect" cardstock with "wonderful' embellishments.

Carol in Central Minnesota
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2006, 08:40 PM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by papercrafting
Well... it's not like they'll go bad or anything!

That's good! ...because I have a lot of stamps
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2006, 09:22 PM   #51  
Rubber Obsessor

My husband says that if anything ever happens to me the ladies will be lining up at the door......for the stamps that is!! He sure will be a popular fella!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2006, 09:25 PM   #52  
Mad Swapper

I have a lot of stuff that i DON'T USE!!...but i LOVE IT ALL! I just placed another order today...for more stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2006, 09:26 PM   #53  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MnM
MnM

LOVE IT!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2006, 10:11 PM   #54  
Hardware Hotshot

Yeah...right!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2006, 10:17 PM   #55  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annek
You're not alone!!! There are many of us 'hoarders' here! We buy & buy but don't 'use' it all.

LOL - this is going to sound weird, but for me it's a 'comfort' feeling to have all my stamping stuff around me - even if I don't use it for a long time. It's like having a well stocked fridge or pantry - just comforting to know it's there. Eventually I do get around to making things again!!

:-) Anne
That's me too. I guess you can call me a hoarder too. LOL!:cool: Shhh...don't tell hubby though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2006, 01:45 AM   #56  
Kookie Creator

well I managed to get hold of quite a few SU sets back in Feb - 1 BG (Print Patterns which I just HAD to have) and 1 set (floral - forget the name) remain UM which I think is testament to me being influenced by beautiful cards on here rather than going with what I actually like for myself. Of the other sets 1 has only 2 stamps mounted and the other (alphabet soup) I mounted 1 and used for the first time this week. Only one set (Bubble Queen) is fully mounted and used.

This past month I have also aquired 4 new UM sheets all of which are unused as yet.

I really need to accept that I don't have as much time to stamp as I think I do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2006, 02:33 AM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurakj
I have a rule for my self, I have to use at least one stamp out of every set I buy before I buy anymore stamps. I also must mount all my stamps as soon as they get in the door. There's something not right about having uncut, unmounted SU sets sitting on my shelf, call it an OCD thing.
I'm just like you, I am not allowed to play with anything until I have mounted all my sets and stamped them into my stamp file. Then I can go and play.
At least all my sets have been used at least once as I stamp them all into my stamp file in categories.:mrgreen:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2006, 04:53 AM   #58  
Hardware Hotshot

after reading all these comments I am now feeling soooo less guilty! thanks ladies! I can't decide what it is that I like most....stamping, creating, collecting, buying, looking at all of it, or just surfing the gallery and adding to my favorites!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2006, 11:54 AM   #59  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've stamped with every single stamp set I own at least once. Some of my most neglected sets are usually the hostess sets, unfortunately.

But I have some stamps that have never been used, and that's because SU's stamps are sold as sets. There's the inevitable English sentiments (I make French greeting cards), of course, or the image that just somehow never makes it into any design. It's too bad, but overall, since the stamps are cheaper sold in kits than they are sold as a unit, I don't mind it all that much.

I am very much a collector in other aspects of crafts, but with the stamps, I'm doing pretty good. Wish I could say the same about patterned papers, though... ;)

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2006, 04:25 PM   #60  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sooooooo good to hear I'm not the only one stocking up on supplies in case a huge snowstorm hits Atlanta on a day when I've decided to stamp-I've got more than enough to get me through the storm (that way I only have to go out for bread)!!! There are times though, when I give myself the task of using only a set I've never used to make a bunch of cards......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2006, 04:38 PM   #61  
Mad Swapper

I have used all of my sets at least once. But I have gotten to where I don't feel guilty selling them if I really don't use them. I'd rather have more that I use. So, at this point I really do use most of them. It has taken me about 6 years to get to this point. Although, I don't use discontinueds as much.

I can not get enough toys though! I buy paper and embellishments like crazy. I just wait for sales and then I buy a ton. So I have a LOT of paper and "stuff" waiting for me to remember I bought it. But, when I see it again, it is like a little surprise was waiting for me at the back of the drawer. Makes me happy all over again! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2006, 01:38 PM   #62  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Use your Stamps

I wish I could say that I use all my sets. I don't. If we were all being honest ;) we would say that we reach for our favorites. I can't stand to get new sets and not mount them right away. I have a wonderful demo who mounts mine for me b/c I have arthritis in my hands and it just hurts too much for me to cut them. It is a shame I am a collector of paper too. I probably have enough in my room to last my lifetime and the lifetime of my daughter but there is always another cardstock color or print that I need :-D . Like it was said earlier this is my comfort room. Surrounded by all my stuff. My card club knows if they need anything they can borrow it from me. I am having total knee replacement in Jan. I know I won't be feeling like card creating for a few days but I won't be too long getting back to my stamping. It will be my leg that is painful - not my hands. ;)

My Blog http://crazystamplady.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2006, 02:16 PM   #63  
Stampin' Fool

Collecting is at least *half* the fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2006, 04:22 PM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

I feel so much better! I collected quite a few things when I started to stamp, and there are some I rarely use - but I am prepared in case I ever need them!

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2006, 04:39 PM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

eventually yes but hey part of the game is being a collector right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2006, 04:47 PM   #66  
Crimping Master

Location: I am a Utah desert rat! I fry in the summer, but, oh, the winters are spectacular!

I always think I am going to use all of my stamps. I have the best of intentions, but there aren't enough hours in the day to use them all. I like every set I buy, but I don't always like them later. I haven't begun to figure it out nor am I sure I want too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2006, 06:27 PM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have such a problem when it comes to Michael's $1 stamps. I mean, hey, they're $1!! But you don't really NEED 10 of them...
I've become an EXPERT at sneaking things in while DH is not home, then he thinks I've "had it all along"...sometimes he'll ask, "when did you get that?" Oh, I've had it for a while...lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2006, 07:23 PM   #68  
Matboard Maniac

I have sooo many stamps. I am only now realizing that I don't have to use just one set to make a card - DUH - It is okay to mix and match, so-to-speak. That alone has helped to use my sets! I get so into thinking that I have to use only one set when making a particular card. I really don't need any additional sets and have said I won't buy any; however, it seems like I am buying two or three sets every month...not to mention all the other goodies! My hubby jokes all the time about "how much is enough?" Um...I guess I can never have enough!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2006, 07:50 PM   #69  
Pearl-ExPert

I feel like I was just inducted to the "Sisterhood of the Sacred Stampers." This thread somehow makes me want to stand up in the front of this group and shout, "Hi, I'm Linda and I am a stamping addict. Oh, how good it feels to know you are not alone.
My weekly routine is: Pour over SU catelog or the SCS gallery. See stamp set that I really love, (got to have it, got to have it), order the stamps, receive the stamps, put them on shelf in craft room, pour over SU catelog or SCS gallery, etc, etc, etc. And ever so often I stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 03:51 AM   #70  
Insane Embellisher

LOVE IT that it's just not me!

Jac-ee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 03:59 AM   #71  
Die Cut Diva

I too have many sets that when purchased, I had tons of ideas, but when those ideas came to fruition I found I was finished with the set. :( I end up either trading or selling those sets and using the money when they sell towards new sets. lol However, on the point of how many do I use- of the ones I keep I use them all! I love to mix stamp sets on cards, I am a huge fan of word sets, but not all of them- I think that WW 1&2 are my personal favs; then there is the Sincere Salutations set.. With those three sets and the font disks my possibilites are endless!!

I have the coolest sister in the world, navybrat75!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 05:49 AM   #72  
Stampin' Fool

In all areas of my home, I am good about donating what doesnt work for me anynmore. Stamping is no exception! Just like clothing, some stamps go out of style or no longer "fit" me. I am happy to pass them on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 09:27 AM   #73  
Rubber Obsessor

Someone once told me, the minute she gets a new set, she makes 10 cards with the set, that way she gets her monies worth out of it even if she doesn't use it again or sells it.

I myself was in the same boat where I had collected too much stuff and never used it. I'm now in two stamp clubs and use a good portion of my stuff. When it comes to making a card for the club, I try to make myself use a stamp set I haven't used in a while, or at all, etc. That helps me out a lot.

Even if you can't get a full club together but can find three (or however many you can find) people together, put different occasions in a bowl, each pick one out and stamp three sets of cards for that occasion. You'll find you end up with some great ideas and use some of the stuff you didn't think you would and gain some great idea's from one another. My nieghbors and I do this about once a quarter. We all end up making about three or 4 cards a night so we all go home with a bundle for different occasions. Its fun.

Good luck on using your collection :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 10:32 AM   #74  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4stampin
Someone once told me, the minute she gets a new set, she makes 10 cards with the set, that way she gets her monies worth out of it even if she doesn't use it again or sells it.
Hey! That IS indeed a pretty great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 11:23 AM   #75  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Just Me

Ummmm...I'm supposed to actually use them all? They just look so nice and organized in my craft room - I'd hate to make a mess ;)

I do, however, SWEAR to DH (picture me, fingers crossed behind my back, trying to smile very sweetly while saying this) "Of course I use them all, honey. I'm working on a beautiful album for _________ for Christmas, and I made _____ cards just the other day while you were mowing the grass." :twisted:
UK ~ US ~ Spectrum Noir
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 12:21 PM   #76  
Die Cut Diva

4Stampin - Those are great ideas!!

And no I don't use all my stamps. I have many stamps that have never been touched, other than when I mounted them. I have had a busy year and have hardly stamped at all. Yet, I am still out there buying supplies just in case I do find time to stamp. I wish I could find the thing that would motivate me to do some stamping and use all this stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 01:30 PM   #77  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Ha! Does this mean that I'm not the only one who combs through the galleries, sees something cute and thinks "I've got to have this!", places an order, and by that set comes in, you've moved on to "needing" something else and can't remember why you liked the set in your hands quite so much?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 04:39 PM   #78  
Matboard Maniac

OMG! We are suppose to use them!! I guess I can be considered a Connoisseur of collecting too. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 11:51 AM   #79  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkKitty
I keep buying stamps, ink, paper, etc and have not even opened half of it. I think I just like the stamps out there and think of what I can do with a set, and then never really get around to doing it. Am I the only one like this? I know there are those who have hundreds/thousands of stamps. How do you use them all? Or do you just "collect" them to?

Jac-ee

You mean you're suppose use them????

HeHe!!

I have some from long time ago that I haven't used. and they sit on their shelves looking at me when I am stamping with those other stamps...

And every once in awhile one of them will fall off the shelve and I go pick it up and place it back.

I think they are trying tell me something......Ya think.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2006, 11:58 AM   #80  
Insane Embellisher

HELLO,
MY NAME IS SHELLEY AND I AM A STAMPER.....
I forget I have half of what I have. That's why I can never unmount them. I would really forget then. I am a visual person. There's so much to be seen and fondeled in my stamping room. And it's mine....all mine! :}
Shelley~
Reply With Quote Likes