Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-02-2004, 06:15 PM   #1  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does anyone besides me.....

Think that the new HGTV Crafting USA is pretty lame and does not fill Carol Duvall's shoes in any way at all?

I've watched it a few times. There are some crafts that are okay, but here are these people blowing glass, rolling clay on a press that I would never in my right mind buy unless I won the lotto, or doing any number of other crafts that the average person would never attempt!

I say, BRING BACK CAROL!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 06:23 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does anyone else besides me....

I'm with you Jan. I don't like this show at all. There were a few things that the average crafter could do, but most of it is done with tools I would never own. Did they cancel the Carol Devall show?

Stays on Stamping!
Karen
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 06:59 PM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you talking about the craft show where they use all the jerky camera work and weird camera angles...Crafting Coast to Coast or something like that? I agree!!! Prett sucky!!! I think they think it's more hip or something...which is pretty funny. Not that many crafters really care about being hip.

I do think that some SCSers should apply to be on the show...Jan??? JulieHRR...any of the DD?????? Go for it!!!

BRING BACK CAROL D.!!!!!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 07:08 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Are you talking about Crafters Coast to Coast? Cause if so, oh my gosh, I LOVE that show! It's true that I probably won't be doing any glass blowing soon, and I don't have a kiln handy in my garage, but I love to see real people in their own surroundings making one-of-a-kind crafts.

Carol's okay, but at some point I quit being inspired by the projects. Her guests were typically representatives of some polymer clay or rubber stamp or other craft supply company, whose projects were created specifically to showcase their projects. Ever notice that the polymer clay people had projects that used like 8 pounds of polymer clay per piece? What I love about Crafters Coast to Coast is that the artists don't have any stake in the products they're using. Like, if they use a particular type of clay, it's because they believe it's the best clay to use, not because their company sells it.

Some of the episodes of Crafters Coast to Coast are kind of out of my league, with people who have done ceramics or silversmithing, or other types of art that require more training and equipment than I have. On the other hand, things like felting and resin are not out of my league and are totally on my list of things to try!

So is Carol officially off the air? I had heard rumors but didn't believe them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 07:22 PM   #5  
The Digi-Freak

LOL at the 8 lb of polymer clay!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 07:22 PM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

I didn't know they had another craft show on HGTV, I thought they were changing their lineup to more home decorating/improvement shows rather then crafting. I used to watch (or tape) Carol Duvall all the time when it was on HGTV, then they moved her to DIY network and I forget that she's there.

I just checked, and it looks like she's still on DIY at her old HGTV time.
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_..._15079,00
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 07:35 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Default Carol/hgtv

I didn't always watch Carol, but I do dislike the other crafty show. It isn't really awe inspiring for me. And are all the crafts people weirdos or what. Sorry, that was extrememly mean and I am probably one of those ecentric weirdos myself. Yeah, strike that remark.

I remember when they took the HOME show off TV, though, I cried. I loved that Dana Fleming. She was from my home state.

Oh, well, girls we will get over it, maybe we could send ourselves a sympathy card.

I think I am too tired to make postings tonight. Better go to bed.
Colleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 07:40 PM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jami
Are you talking about the craft show where they use all the jerky camera work and weird camera angles...
Thank you, Jami! Boy, JanTink, I am so glad you brought up this topic. I have been wanting to "vent" about this for a long time! This new "craft show" was the BIGGEST disappointment for me, outside of their announcing the cancellation of the Carol Duvall Show :( . You (Jan) have obviously watched it pretty closely and gave it a decent chance. Personally, I couldn't get past that stupid jerky camera work. I was completely dumbfounded when I watched it the first time. :shock: That technique might work for shows like NYPD Blue, but it's totally ridiculous for a craft show where viewers are trying to see what people are doing, how they're doing it and what they're using. :? Whoever is in charge of that show is not in touch with (or doesn't care about) the average crafter and they totally blew it as far as I'm concerned. I got motion sickness after a few minutes of the first show and haven't watched it much since. Please post again and let us know if the show every develops into something from which I could actually learn something useful.

There, I feel better! Linda

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 08:37 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I LOVE that show too, aeweaver!!!

I saw one where this girl was making these roosters out of all kinds of cut-up aluminum cans and pretty printed tin... now that I write it, it sounds pretty weird! She was so creative, though!

Another chick that was on made felt and fabric purses with this clear vinyl overlay... I immediately deemed it a "shaker purse!" She put little things in between the fabric and vinyl and it was like a giant shaker card that you get to carry around all the time!

Both girls had these special rooms that they would work on their craft in, and special tools, and lots of scraps, and I'm sure their families think they're crazy for spending so much time and money on what they love... sound familiar?!

And anything with glass-blowing fascinates me... I could watch those people forever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2004, 09:31 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Default Letter from Carol

A Letter From Carol Duvall

Hello everyone!!!!

I had really intended to write you a long letter AFTER we finished our taping in November but since it has been brought to my attention that many of you have been worried about my health, concerned about whether or not I was retiring, and in general wondering about my well-being, I thought I owed it to you to fill you in a bit and put your minds at ease. The long letter will come later.

...Please don’t worry about my health. I don’t. There is nothing to worry about. The illness that caused me to miss the Holiday shows a year ago was nothing permanent and has not caused me any lasting effects.

...Retiring is the furthest thing from my mind.

...As for the show, of course I will be sad to see it go. I’ve made many friends over the past ten years on both sides of the camera and I love what I do...but that’s the nature of the business. You go on to go off. It’s expected and it happens. HGTV and I are in full agreement that this fall would be a good time for it to happen...and to move on.

And, think of this. Remember when the HOME show went off the air? The viewers all but stormed the gates of ABC they were so angry and upset--I was too...but if the HOME show hadn’t ended when it did, "The Carol Duvall Show" would probably never have happened. So who knows what lies ahead for you on HGTV?

...As for Weller/Grossman’s part in all this? My goodness. They don’t even get a vote. They are the ones HGTV hires to produce the show...to rent the studio, hire the crew, treat me like a queen, etc.

I hope that answers some of your more serious concerns right now. I promise to write you after we complete the next 91 shows...to bring you up to date and fill you in on what might be happening by then, to properly thank you for your kindness and loyalty over the years, and to let you know how phenomenal I think you are. In the meantime, please do not worry...just enjoy. There are already 65 taped shows that have not aired. Add 91 to that and you have 156 total!

Now I have projects to finish!

Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 04:56 AM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I've read that letter. What she doesn't say (and I read somewhere on here) was that when she was asked at one of the big industry craft shows by a fan what had happened to the show, Carol Duvall said that HGTV told her that they needed someone younger. :shock:

And it is Crafters Coast to Coast (why can't I remember the name of that show?). They do spend a lot of time doing goofy stuff with the camera, making the women who are showing the crafts mug for the camera...it's really STUPID! I do occasionally see something on there that I'd actually do, but most of it...eh!

Yeah, Carol had a lot of industry experts on their touting their wares, but for the most part, these are the people that know how to use these materials the best! I learned SO MUCH from watching Carol...some of the crafts were tacky and I didn't care for them, but I really enjoyed the polymer clay people and anybody doing rubber stamping or scrapbooking. I also loved the segment where she would show all the new stuff that had come out lately! And she also featured artisans on most of her shows, so I thought it covered all angles.

Once they moved Carol out of the 2:00 PM slot, I stopped watching HGTV the way I used to. That was MY time; my kids could watch kid tv in the morning but in the afternoon, the television was MINE and I watched HGTV all afternoon! The 9 AM time slot...I could watch it because I was driving kids to preschool and the 11:30 time slot I was picking them up!

Of course, now Carol is still on in reruns on HGTV for an hour at 9 AM and I occasionally sit down and watch it now that my kids are in school by 8 AM, all blessed three of them (thank you Lord!) But I don't keep the television on all day anymore...I rarely turn it on; I've got other things to do! (Like stamping!)

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 05:30 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I agree that Crafters Coast to Coast isn't very well done. I think it comes off as being lame and odd. I guess that's a plus to some people and a negative to others, depending on our tastes. I miss the projects from Carol's Show, but had started to get tired of all the company rep's. Plus <no throwing rotten food at me!> Carol kind of bugs me! Okay, I'm running away now......Bye!

Renee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 05:31 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I like the new show also. It's very interesting to see the artist in their studios. I suppose it's because I'm more into the art side anyways. I have watched Carols show but was never really turned on by it. The new show is absolutely not a replacement for her show, its style is totally different and the projects are more complex. I don't think it's a show that wants you to "try this at home". I just think it's more of an informative show, letting people see all the creative artist that are out there, doing their thing. Just my humble opinion
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 05:36 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carol's New Home

You know, Carol is going to be on a show on Shop at Home Network soon. It is owned by Scripps, also.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 10:33 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I don't care for CCTC either. I tried for 2 weeks and then decided that it wasn't worth the time on the TIVO. To me Carol is the Queen of Crafts and will be no matter what her age. Why is youth more important than experience? She is so sweet and has such a great rapport with all the guests. I think HGTV is making a big mistake. I am sad to see her go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 11:38 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I call the crafting Coast to Coast " PIMP my craft show"!!! (after Pimp my Ride, anyone watch that?? lol) Some stuff is interesting, but with the camera jerking and angles as others have said, and they show stuff I cant run out and find to do it with. Sometimes Carols show is a bit to homey, but I will miss it since Cox cable doesnt carry DIY!!
Tandra

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 11:54 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I think this show does strive to reach a different type of crafter working in their own environment verses making a studio visit.

I know I'm a totally different type of crafter than my 50-somethng mother or 82 year old grandmother. Though we all can do needle crafts, I prefer something edgier than ducks in bonnets, but I realize there's always going to be those crafters who don't get my type of crafting.

I think this show wants to tap into young people like me, though not all of us have figured out to quit our day jobs and live solely off our craft so we can catch a morning episode ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2004, 12:13 PM   #18  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by udandi
I think this show wants to tap into young people like me, though not all of us have figured out to quit our day jobs and live solely off our craft so we can catch a morning episode ;)
You are so right, udandi! Ratings will tell the producers of "Crafters Coast to Coast" whether or not their gamble paid off in going after a younger audience. Considering who is available to watch a morning craft show, their gain may not compensate for the loss of Carol Duvall viewers. It will be very interesting to see what happens. Linda

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 08:36 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Haven't seen the new HGTV show yet, sounds like that's ok. Tim Holtz told me that Shop At Home Network is picking up the slack for Carol's show. They have Carol and a few guests demonstrate a project, just like they used to. The difference with this show is that they then cut to a presentor with a kit that has all the materials just demo'ed. The first show was on Nov. 3. and had some fun guests like Tim H. and MaryJo McGraw.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 09:19 AM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperMoon
Tim Holtz told me that Shop At Home Network is picking up the slack for Carol's show. . . . The first show was on Nov. 3. and had some fun guests like Tim H. and MaryJo McGraw.
Thanks for the info! Do you know the time slot? Linda

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 09:19 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

My vote is for Carol. For sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 09:49 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

BUMMER- I love watching Carol, even though I get home from work at midnight I drag myself out of bed just to watch!!! I agree that CCTC is not really very inspiring!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 10:24 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't read all the posts on this matter, but I, too, am exceedingly disappointed in the loss of the Carol Duvall show on HGTV. I do not get DIY Network AND, the NEW Crafters Coast to Coast is one of the worst shows on crafting I've ever seen and I detest it immensely. I watched one or two episodes trying to like it; NOPE! NADA.

I was looking on HGTV's site for an email addy so I could communicate my utter disappointment on the ending of the Carol show AND the poor quality of the Crafter's Coast to Coast, but could never find one.

Carol Duvall is the ONLY show I ever consistently watch on HGTV and she's my hero--I wanna be her when I grow up. My favorites were the shows that featured paper crafting, art stamping, etc. But, I always learned SO much from many of her shows, that I'd watch it even if there wasn't something rubber related on there!

Her personality is irreplaceable and what made that show an absolute success from the start. I used to watch her on the HOME show, years ago, before she got her own show. Loved her then, and always will.

How absolutely pathetic that HGTV would think they need someone "younger". . . I'd take Carol Duvall over ANYONE in the industry any day, any time, any show. . .

Can you tell I'm grieving over this??????? I probably won't even watch HGTV any more at all now . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 10:34 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkalicious
I call the crafting Coast to Coast " PIMP my craft show"!!! (after Pimp my Ride, anyone watch that?? lol)
ROTFLMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET OUT!!!! You are too funny, Tandra!

In all seriousness, if ever I couldn't stand a craft show, it's CCTC . . . it is so lame . . .

And, I may be 41, but I'm still hip and with it; I don't think CCTC will do a thing for the craft industry and probably not for the artists featured on it.

The biggest endorsement a crafter or someone in the industry with a product could ever get, would be appearing on the Carol Duvall Show. And, despite Carol's age, I think she has a personality that related to ALL ages, all craft types; she is genuine and enthusiastic about EVERY guest she's ever had on that show.

And, a show that caters to only one group/age audience, will probably never make it anyway . . . CCTC format hasn't appealed to me in any way at all, altho I would probably have immensely enjoyed seeing those same artists on Carol's show.

That's what's so absolutely stupid about it all: if they wanted to showcase younger/hipper artisans, all they had to do was have Carol introduce them on her show. I think Carol's show had room for ALL and did an excellent presentation of methods and techniques, etc.

This is a very heated issue for me, I'm realizing . . . :?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 11:28 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

after reading all the posts, I agree with both sides. I love C.D.S. HGTV!!
I beleive CD was stuck in a rut and need newer topics. I love the lessons I learned from crafts I could not/would not make. I learned to try try again, follow your dreams, prevail, persist, move forward, try it/you may like it, lots of ideas and challenges. I was impressed by CCTS, the younger generation is fun and maybe we have lost some of the care free that we enjoyed once. I am very glad to see the younger generation crafting. I do agree if CDS/HGTV goes-- so do I.
speak out crafters email HGTV with all you have posted.
thanks for listening.
linda
la :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 07:01 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow, I guess Crafters Coast to Coast is a real LOVE IT or HATE IT kind of show!

I, for one, absolutely love it. I used to work for architects and graphic designers that had studios to house other artists, one that did renderings and one of the artists did models, and used to do gold leaf signs so the whole aspect of going inside these peoples home studios just gets me hungry for my own! I have learned a lot of different things from these people, so much more than on Carol Duvall who I was getting tired of seeing those polymer clay projects every day! ALthough I did enjoy seeing MIchelle Gerbrant and the hot potato girl, I didn't learn anything new from them, but it was nice to see some of the projects, especially the embossed velvet, but once I saw that demo'd, the 4th and 5th time was enough for me!

CCTC is pretty neat, LOL I thought it was me that thought it was funny that they kind of "mug" for the camera, but I guess it breaks it up, you know instead of "and now we are going to do this.." kind of thing. I don't know, I guess I have a wierd personality so the show fits me!!

One thing I have seen them do a lot is make their own stamps for block printing! Now how about that, how-de-doo? I might just try that out when DD sees something she likes and wants to do it instead of trying to find the stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 08:11 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Re: Carol/hgtv

Quote:

Originally Posted by altheazebrina
And are all the crafts people weirdos or what. Sorry, that was extrememly mean and I am probably one of those ecentric weirdos myself. Yeah, strike that remark.
Colleen, LOL --- having worked with a lot of artists, I think the word "different" pretty much describes them. I love them! One of my sister is ultraconservative and pretty much the opposite of that, but my other sister went to art school in Boston. Yep, she and I are pretty "different" -- Though I wish I had as much talent as she has, she has more talent in her little finger than I do in my whole body!
Reply With Quote Likes