Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-03-2006, 06:16 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone stamp with rubber gloves?

I'm thinking of buying a box of latex gloves to wear while I'm stamping to save myself from the inky fingers. Does anyone do this? Any pros or cons?

There's just some colors that take forever to come off my fingertips and out from under my nails!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 06:55 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't stamp with rubber gloves, but I do garden with them. Those disposable latex gloves are great for gardening! They're a second skin so you can feel the dirt and plant, and if they get wet or dirty who cares? Throw them away! I think they'd work great for projects with Staz-On.
mary rose
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 07:04 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I provided rubber gloves for my ladies when we sanded dominoes and when we did crayon resist--most of them wore them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 07:51 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I use them when I remember, especially when I am making swap cards and using dark colors like navy. No latex for me though. I'm a purple nitrile girl myself. I just love purple! As far as pros and cons...No cons for me and I don't have anyone asking me if I spent the night in jail after they see my ink stained fingertips!

Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 07:52 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Naaah. There's something about it--I just don't like anything to come between me and the rubbah. Bwah ha haaaaaaaaa!!! ;)

Seriously, tho--gloves of any kind just bug me when I'm working. Kinda like when I played the concert piano as a kid; I couldn't wear any kind of jewelry (rings, bracelets, on my hands), etc. and NO LONG SLEEVES. My mother used to dress me up, and to her mortification, I'd jam the sleeves all the way up past my elbows so I was not hindered in any way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 07:58 PM   #6  
Dyu
Stazon Splitcoast

You crack me up!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Naaah. There's something about it--I just don't like anything to come between me and the rubbah. Bwah ha haaaaaaaaa!!! ;)

Seriously, tho--gloves of any kind just bug me when I'm working. Kinda like when I played the concert piano as a kid; I couldn't wear any kind of jewelry (rings, bracelets, on my hands), etc. and NO LONG SLEEVES. My mother used to dress me up, and to her mortification, I'd jam the sleeves all the way up past my elbows so I was not hindered in any way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 08:18 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Just so you know (so you are not disappointed if you stock up on a case of gloves and find out the hard way) latex gloves have a relatively short shelf life. I wear them for some chemical tasks at work and have to throw out entire boxes of latex gloves because they are old and just putting them on rips them into pieces. I don't have any experience with the nitrile disposable gloves.

I used to work in the food industry and had to wear powdered latex gloves. DON'T GET THE POWDERED ONES! They leave yucky residue on your hands! Also, in general with latex you can only wear them for so long before they disintegrate and rip.

When I am stamping with product I don't want to get on my hands (not very often I have to worry about this, as I am a pretty basic stamper) I just put my hands in some flip-top sandwich bags I have and don't use very much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 11:27 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

I don't. but I don't word with chemicals. Just ink and paint, and if I am not messy after a day of creating then I didn't create.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 12:12 PM   #9  
Sassy Shani

I do when I am sponging something. We always have a box in the gargage because Chris is a Ford Tech and he uses them when he works on cars at home and at work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2006, 01:23 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

No, but I always wish I had worn them after finishing a project and looking at my messy hands. I think this is a GREAT idea and would save our hands from being permantly inked!

~Melanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2006, 05:31 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

I prefer to stamp with stamps!! (hee-hee!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

I just spent a day using the nitrile disposable ones (ours are green, not pretty purple) and they have an indefinite shelf life and are very robust. I washed some glassware using the old latex gloves and got my hands soaked in Sparkleen, but with the nitrile my hands stayed as dry as when I put the gloves on. Nitrile doesn't stretch very much, so make sure to go a size up if you are exactly a size whatever (meaning, if the guide indicates you are a size small, get medium; small will get on your hands but not super-easily).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2006, 04:48 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

When I waitressed I had to have the plastic gloves doing up the salad bar. My hand got so sweaty in them just for a few seconds. Now I have an aversion to disposable gloves.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2006, 05:59 AM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Where the Kookaburra's sit in the old gum tree's...
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't stand rubber gloves! My hands sweat way too much while wearing them. For me it doesn't matter what type of material they are my hands just hate them. However, another alternative if you don't want to wear the whole glove is to purchase what I call "finger rubbers", they are like, pardon my description here "little condoms" and you put them on your fingers individually. Easier to work with in my opinion, and you can wear them on the fingers you want. They are called "Rubber Finger Cots", you can purchase them from medical supply stores, or places that sell safety products. The link here (if I've attached it correctly) shows a picture of what they look like, this is just one of many companies that pop up when you google search "rubber finger cots". HTH & happy inky or non-inky fingers!

http://www.laxmisafety.com/acid-alka...ts-1016249.htm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2006, 06:07 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Default Wearing gloves

Hi, I think wearing gloves for some projects is a good idea. I have a box of the purple nitrile gloves. I accidentally washed a pair in my laundry and then dried them in the dryer - and they came out just fine - so they could be re-usable.

JoAnn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2006, 07:45 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Haven't worn for stamping but used to wear both latex and nitrile gloves at the lab. The nitrile were good for the Xylene which eats latex but not the nitrile -

Would be good to use for those Stazon projects I would think or when you are doing that shaving cream techinique or polished stone or etched glass!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2006, 10:52 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I too wear gloves at work all the time... though not yet for stamping. I'd vote for Purple Nitrile. Like the green nitrile they are quite durable and have more chemical reistance than latex (even a moderate amount of resistance to Acetone aka Nail polish remover). The other advantage of nitrile is that many people are allergic to latex or develop a sensitivity to it after wearing it for a while. I had this happen to me an latex gloves but not with the nitrile. If you get Green nitrile don't get the pale green ones with aloe as they just don't seem as durable. Purple nitrile gloves fit a bit bigger than the green ones too. So if the sizing says your a small stick with a small (in my experience).

Where's My Cow?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2006, 11:28 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

LOL, what a good idea. If I have to run to the store after stamping it always seems people are staring at my very stained hands. Plus I always seem to leave fingerprints on all my cards... Guess its my messy signature!:mrgreen:

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2006, 11:49 AM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by thuskins
When I waitressed I had to have the plastic gloves doing up the salad bar. My hand got so sweaty in them just for a few seconds. Now I have an aversion to disposable gloves.

This would be my problem. I sometimes wear the yellow rubber gloves when I clean the bathroom because I don't like getting the cleaner all over me. The downside is that I get so sweaty. I'm not talking about just my hands. Having the gloves on makes all of me too hot and sweaty.

I use the disposable gloves when I color my hair ;) . They aren't bad, but I feel very confined. I have to remember to take off my (very small) engagement ring because I am afraid it will tear the glove. I can't wait to get them off.
So, I'll take the dirty hands. (I'm used to it anyway. I'm a teacher and always have overhead marker on my fingers by the end of the day.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2006, 01:29 PM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

D'oh! My work gloves are blue, not green (kind of a ballet blue I think?). They still fit small, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2006, 10:22 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I like naked hands when I am stamping. I too don't like anything between me and my stamps. I can't breath with gloves on. Gasp!

See my gallery
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=14784
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2006, 10:56 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

I have giant, sweaty hands so this simply isn't an option for me

Seriously. You know the "humongous" gloves that come with home hair color kits? Well, they don't fit me. I have a horrible time finding winter gloves, and if I'm lucky enough to find men's XL gloves that are actually big enough and don't look too awful, I buy 2-3 pair.

Inky fingers for this girl!!
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2006, 11:26 AM   #23  
Failed Lurker

The only person I know who stamps in gloves is that lady on Page 81 of the new catty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2006, 07:28 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, just skin to rubber. Not sure I could stamp with gloves on! I

t took me quite a while to get accustom to gardening with gloves; which with poison ivy and such was practical!!! Still prefer the feel of soil; but does keep the nails from breaking and keeps the hands a bit cleaner!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2006, 07:36 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryrose
I don't stamp with rubber gloves, but I do garden with them. Those disposable latex gloves are great for gardening! They're a second skin so you can feel the dirt and plant, and if they get wet or dirty who cares? Throw them away! I think they'd work great for projects with Staz-On.
mary rose
Me Too!!

I buy them by the case! I have many gardens and my hands get so dried out with our clay soil if I don't wear gloves - but regular gardening gloves, you can't "feel" anything and are so cumbersome.

No filthy finger nails, no dried hands, no scaly skin - no critters crawling on my skin!

But for stamping - I go nudey hands.... could never stamp with gloves... although I do use them while doing the babywipes backgrounds.
Reply With Quote Likes