Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-03-2005, 02:57 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Anyone Use the SU Scrapbook Albums????

I've never seen one of these in person and am trying to come up with an album to use. I've always used CM and don't want to use straphinge anymore. Is the quality good? Do the pages lay flat? Also, since SU paper isn't exactly 12x12, what if I use paper that is truly 12x12, will they fit? How about pages that are a little lumpy?

Please let me know; I'm tired of going to every single LSS around me and them either not having the color I want, the size I want, or the style I want. It's making me crazy!

Plus, every single time I go into a LSS looking for an album, I leave with $50 worth of stuff I wasn't planning on spending. This is killing me! :?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 03:29 AM   #2  
SOS
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default SU albums

I use the SU albums and I just love them. The quality is great. I have the vinyl, linen, and leather. I prefer leather just because I"m a leather person but I don't think you'd be unhappy with any of them. I've never done a strap album, but I love just being able to pop my pages in!

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/SOS
Making Memories One Stamp At A Time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 03:34 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I actually LIKE the fact that our 12x12 cardstock isn't exactly "12 x 12", because once you add layers, embellishments, etc, it "fattens" up the page. Not being 12 x12 makes it easier to fit inside the page protector.

I love our albums, especially the leather. I really like the linen, but really want more colors. I have the Navy, but the cream color one is just too light a color for me. And the designer albums are nice, but in my opinion mostly for kids. But I love the quality, and I think they look even nicer in person than in the catalog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 03:34 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Default I do!

When I began scrapping 10 years ago - I was a strickly CM Strap Hinge girl. I sort of got frustrated with trimming my pages down to fit the albums. I LOVE the Linen SU Albums. They are gorgeous, and TRUE 12 x 12 Albums! The Leather is very classy too, and the designer albums are great for a more Whimsical album. I did a brag book for each of my kids. They're fast and so cute! They love to look at them.

Take the plunge - Post bound is the way to go! No more unstrapping and moving pages around.
- Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 03:37 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I have two SU albums. One post hinge and one three ring. I had been using CM albums, too. I love them!!!!! I have a linen and a vinyl and I bought a leather for shower gift and it was so hard to give to the bride! I wanted to keep it so bad! The page protectors are the best I have ever seen. And I love the fact that if you need to redo a page, you don't have to take apart the whole album and redo both sides- like with a strap hinge. I haven't used any other paper other than SU because the paper that we carry is so sturdy.
Angel #2865
Ask me about TAC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 03:45 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Definitely, Stampin' Up albums are top notch! I looked into all the albums before I started scrapbooking (before I became a demo) and decided SU albums had the nicest, heaviest protectors. I love that they've added the extender posts to the catalog too - a definite necessity. I have all the "whimsical" ones, two leather ones, and one linen one, and I have been nothing but happy with any of them. I even have 3 of the retired ones, but I really love this new binding style where the posts don't show. Looks very classy on the shelf. The leather ones don't have it, though. But they look classy anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 03:55 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Thanks sooooo much! I'm going to take the plunge and place an order today. I guess all I have to do now is decide on style and color! Since I've never used the post bound, I'm going to buy the extender posts just to have. I tend to have lots of layers and am thinking I'm going to need them.

I too love the SU papers, but have fallen in LOVE with Bazzill and the DCWV texture papers. A girl can never have too much, right?

Thanks for your help--off to shop (again).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 04:14 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree with everyone else. I have used the CM albums. I did not like trimming the pages. I would take them apart since I never knew the order I would want my pages in. With the SU albums, I can rearrange to my heart's content. I think the page protectors are heavier and do a better job protecting the page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 04:19 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I LOVE our albumns! The top loading feature works perfectly for me, it's easy to add more pages, the linen albumns are really classy looking and yes - they do fit true 12x12 pages. I hate to admint it, but I ended up tossing all my 'other' albumns :oops:, I can't stand the strap hinge kind that I can never get nice and tight once I unbind it. The albumns are well worth buying!
Patti

Ibbie - Member #3992
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/ibbie
stampingwithpatti.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 04:24 AM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I love our albums! I scrap 8.5x11 ( I know, I am odd!), and I have 3 leather albums. Wonderful quality. My mother just bought a leather one after seeing mine. She also took it to her school to show it off (it is filled with grandkid pages we make every year) and another teacher ordered an album because they liked hers so much! I also have a linen 6x6 that I haven't used yet, but it's lovely too. All of mine are post bound, so I don't know about the 3-ring ones.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 04:28 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you for all the wonderful Info. ladies. I have wondered this myself for a while now and think that I will go ahead and purchase. I am strictly a card maker but am ready to plunge into scrapbooks. Thanks!!!

A woman is like a tea bag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water.~Eleanor Roosevelt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 05:01 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I love them too, especially the linen albums. I hope more colors are offered in the linen.

Another great use for the 8.5x11 album size is to put annual school photo in if you don't want to put it on a scrapbook page. The 8.5x11 photo is a perfect fit. A friend of mine has one for each child just for this purpose and a 12x12 album for her scrapbook.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 05:13 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilymomto3boys
I love our albums! I scrap 8.5x11 ( I know, I am odd!), and I have 3 leather albums. Wonderful quality. My mother just bought a leather one after seeing mine. She also took it to her school to show it off (it is filled with grandkid pages we make every year) and another teacher ordered an album because they liked hers so much! I also have a linen 6x6 that I haven't used yet, but it's lovely too. All of mine are post bound, so I don't know about the 3-ring ones.
Emily, I'm laughing at you! :lol: :lol: :lol: I remember when you used to said you hated scrapbooking and would never do it. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 05:25 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I've used the 6x6 SU album and LOVE it! It was SO easy to work with. I just wish they had a better color selection to choose from.

I prefer top loading. If CM came out with a top loading, I'd be all over it!

JMHO

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 05:25 AM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a lot of people like the three ring ones because you can put more pages in them. But once scrapbooks get too full, they get more wear on the spots were the covers are hinged to the spine because of the weight of the pages. The other thing I don't like about them is there is a space between pages in a layout, so it's hard to make titles that flow across two pages. And you can't cut a photo in the middle so it straddles both pages.

I used to buy Pioneer books because they were inexpensive. Boy, did I get what I paid for. Now, they are all falling to pieces from my kids looking at them. I must have around 15 of the things and I'm going to have to replace at least half of them. I wish I'd known about SU! books when I started, but I didn't. Dumb, dumb me. Now I'm looking at reinvesting $150 to buy good books from SU! All the ones I have bought to use in my business are holding up so well!

If your albums are going to get as much handling as mine do, one thing you can do to reduce the wear on the post holes (where my Pioneer ones have failed big time) is to put plastic washers between the heads of the post screws and the album. That keeps the heads from tearing out the holes.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 05:56 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

I like the SU albums because they also help me organize. When I am doing a big SB project I will stick the pictures I will use for each page in the page protector with a sheet of neutral cardstock . . . I do like som CM products, like the power sort, but told my CM friend I don't need the power layouts system because I already do power layouts with my SU scrapbooks!
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 07:23 AM   #17  
The Digi-Freak

I was SOLD on 3ring style.... well I am going to slowly transition to all postbound better quality. I just like the look SO much better now that I have one postbound!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 07:44 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Default SU Albums

Does anyone have a comparison to make between the SU albums and the CTMH ones? Are the protectors equal thickness and albums of similar quality? Also, I've heard that SU 12x12 papers are actually a little short of 12" on one side--do you need to use the paper with the short side being the length for slipping it into the page protector, or will it go in just as easily the other way? I don't want to make my first page and then find out it won't go in because I have the true 12" going across-ways.

Thanks for the input!

Lauri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 08:09 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I love our albums! I scrap 8.5x11 ( I know, I am odd!),
I also love 81/2 x 11, much more user friendly for what I do. I can scan my pages and put them on a CD for my children, then I don't have to try to keep up with 6 different albums!

Karen

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/kzimbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 05:52 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzimbie
Quote:

I love our albums! I scrap 8.5x11 ( I know, I am odd!),
o
I also love 81/2 x 11, much more user friendly for what I d. I can scan my pages and put them on a CD for my children, then I don't have to try to keep up with 6 different albums!

Karen
What an excellent idea!
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 06:08 PM   #21  
Inking Addict

I agree with the bettter color selection comment. I do have the 6x6 By Design Blue Album which I actually ordered by mistake and then used it for my son's "On the Day You Were Born" album. It is now my favorite! I am so hooked on 6x6 scrapbooks now. I can accomplish so much in so little time and they come out so cute! I also have a ring binder Linen album which I love and it holds SOOOO many pages! One thing I would love is a protective cover for it though. I am so worried about getting it dirty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 06:15 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Re: SU Albums

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgulotta
Does anyone have a comparison to make between the SU albums and the CTMH ones? Are the protectors equal thickness and albums of similar quality? Also, I've heard that SU 12x12 papers are actually a little short of 12" on one side--do you need to use the paper with the short side being the length for slipping it into the page protector, or will it go in just as easily the other way? I don't want to make my first page and then find out it won't go in because I have the true 12" going across-ways.

Thanks for the input!

Lauri
re: bolded portion: SU! 12x12 are actually 11 7/8 x 11 7/8 - they are square
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 06:23 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

I have a pioneer album because I was NEVER going to fill it or really get into scrapbooking. Boy was I wrong. I just got my SU 12x12 page protectors and they are so much bigger and thicker than the Pioneer ones. I now have to bet an SU album because I spent so much time trying to get my new pages into my old album and then realized they are so different that they can't possibly be in the same album. The SU pages stick out over the edges of the Pioneer album. Just another reason to order more quality SU stuff. Like I needed a real reason! I just can't decide which album to get. I have a designer Love is 6x6 album for my daughter and I am working towards a leather album from my Great Rewards for my son. I think a linen one will get dirty looking after awhile. I might try to wait until July and see if anything is new.
Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes