Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2004, 04:00 PM   #1  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't want to start anything.... but,

I've noticed that some of the cards lately are almost exact copies of some that have been uploaded to member's galleries. That's cool.... that is mostly what this site is for, to share ideas and see everyone's work. Some of you probably don't even know this, but as a demonstrator, when you copy someone's idea or layout for a card, it is typical and respectfull to say "CASED from ....." or give the original person some type of credit. I think people feel better about sharing their creativity when they feel it is appreciated. Just a thought to keep in mind when you are uploading a card with a twist of your own that you saw somewhere on this site. There are so many talented folks here, it would just be nice to say... CASE'd from, or I got this idea from (so and so). By the way, CASE'd stands for COPY AND STEAL EVERYTHING, but I like COPY AND SHARE EVERYTHING better! It feels way better to share than to steal.

I sure hope no one takes this the wrong way, but I just wanted some of the newer members to be aware of what is kind of a stampin "etiquette".

Happy Stampin everyone!!
~C
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Pearl-ExPert

Default too scared to post

I'm glad you brought this up. I've always felt funny about it, because I will look at a zillion cards....then I will go CASE one....but I won't remember where I'd seen it or who originated it. That is part of the reason you don't see my samples. I'm too afraid I CASEd it and don't even remember.

What to do?!?!?!?!
Mad Swapper

Default scared to post

Let the record stand I did case someone, said so, and I am not sure if I will be posting anymore :oops: Sorry Ladies this is probably my fault. And I feel horrible. So I think I should take a break. so bye for now

Kathie
Kookie Creator

On a related note, often, we participate in swaps. I have seen other messages where swapped artwork appeared on someone's website without credit given. I have also seen messages that the swap was posted, credit was given, but the original creator was upset b/c the website owner did not ask for permission before posting.

Here is my $.02 worth on the subject of posting swaps/other people's artwork on your site:

If it was swapped, it was meant to be shared, and I don't think the designer/creator should be upset if it gets posted. BUT you SHOULD give credit to the original designer/creator. I do not think it's necessary to ASK permission from the designer/creator. They swapped it, it was already meant to be shared, and the "permission" seems implicit in the fact that it was shared in a swap.

That said, I am SAVING some of my better work for convention, b/c I don't want anyone to "lift" it between now and then. And that is not paranoid, nor conservative, that is just wise given the fact that we all DO occasionally CASE something.
Becky G
Kookie Creator

And Cambria, I am glad you brought this up.
Becky G
Polyshrink Goddess

I have been using this site for some time now. I have been very impressed with the quality of the uploads and they have really helped me in designing cards for my workshops. I rarely copy one exactly, but seeing them always inspires me. I don't upload anything (no scanner) or participate much in discussions, but this one really bothers me. This site has always seemed to me to be all about sharing. If you want to keep something exclusive ( and I don't see anyone giving any prizes for that), then don't post it. What other reason would there be for this site except for us to see and , since many of us are demonstrators, to copy it. Anyone who visits regularly knows that it is just another version of the original.
Up until today I have felt that the people who post here hold themselves to a higher standard. This just seems petty and it will sure keep me from ever posting anything . I could never be sure where I saw that card or if I just happened to see a similar thing in a stamp set and made a similar card.
R. Layton
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I really believe Cambria was just posting to make sure newbies were aware of stamping etiquette--she was not intending for anyone to feel excluded or that it wasn't about sharing.

I have been the victim of fellow demonstators, "copying and pasting" a photo of my own work right from my gallery and into their site, giving visitors the mistaken impression it was THEIR work, when in fact, it was mine. To this day, she still hasn't acknowledged my request to remove the photo--she didn't even ask permission, nor has she given proper credit to the true artisan.

Now that was pretty extreme, but it does happen.

No, nobody "owns" a technique, layout or color scheme, of course.

However, it always has been "courtesy" among stampers, for decades, I might add, to credit the original artisan, if you "CASEd" their piece, as I did with a sample I CASEd from Beate using Petal Prints. If I DON'T know the original artisan, than, at the least, I note that it is indeed CASED.

It is simply courtesy.

No one should feel slighted by the post above--it is being provided as information so that everyone feels their work is properly credited as is due. That's all.

Kathie, please don't take the post personally or be scared to post--it was for newbies to take note and realize how important it is among stampers to support this courtesy for us ALL.
Insane Embellisher

I was kind of disappointed when I saw this post. I completely understand not wanting to have something completely copied and be given no credit for it under most circumstances. Personally, I look at these galleries as a place to come and share our ideas. I do not believe it is possible to give credit to every person you may "steal" something from. I know, for me, I get ideas in many places but I think it would be a bit ridiculous for me to list every person I got each idea from. Chances are they didn't come up with it either. Its unfortunate that people upset by this prevent others from even wanting to post anymore... (Please don't stop Kathie.. we love you here!) I just think if you feel you would become upset by not being mentioned when someone uses one of your ideas, that you shouldn't share them. I've never quite understood why people got upset over this type of thing. Isn't this site about getting together to share ideas and inspire each other? So, this kind of makes me sad. :(

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stampinwithjoleen
Matboard Maniac

How are situations handled when you come up with an idea, but someone else has posted a similar idea? I don't upload for that very reason.... I don't want to upset someone for not giving credit if they thought I got an idea from them and didn't recognize them. :oops:

As hard as it may be to believe, I have participated in a swap before where someone had created the same card as me, only used different colors. :shock:

Just my 2 cents worth
Mad Swapper

Default My gallery is gone

I am so sorry, I promise to just watch--- I am so sorry, I am so incredibally humiliated I deleted my gallery.

Bye
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default my two cents worth

I think it is important here that no one takes this the wrong way. I know Cambria very well and I'm sure she wouldn't want anyone to feel bad.

There are definately two sides to this.

I post because I LOVE to share with everyone. I LOVE the input. I post because I don't mind you copying. At all. I want you to copy. I want you to be inspired by my work and maybe come up with something better. But there are a lot of people who take advantage of this (not necessarily on this website). What that does is makes very creative people unwilling to share.

I think this is the best site there is and people genuinely want to share their creations. For the most part, I doubt most people on SplitCoast would copy without giving credit to the proper person on purpose.

There are also a lot of situations where you can't give credit to someone who inspired you. You forgot where you saw it. You took bits and pieces from someones card and made it into your own. There are tons of different reasons. I'm sure I have posted a card or two that I CASED and didn't give proper credit to the person who had the original idea. It is going to happen. I look at probably thousands and thousands of card ideas. Some things might stick in my head and I might pull them out later as my own idea. Like I said there are tons of reasons for not giving credit.

I really don't think we should blow this out of proportion. I honestly think Cambria was just trying to let people know to give credit if they got the idea from someone else. It is okay to be mad, disappointed or whatever, but lets just keep things in perspective. This site is about sharing. We all want to share. That's why we post. Cambria wasn't pointing any fingers.

SO LETS STAMP!

Lana
Insane Embellisher

Amen, Lana

Dirty Dozen Alumni

Come on guys. . . It's simple. If you can give credit, give credit. If you CASED it from somwhere but cant remember, say that. Please don't be afraid to post and share and everything else that we can do on this site. No one is going to scream at ya. I promise. I will protect you! Remember, I am the mat board queen and I have super powers!
Stampin' Fool

Here is my two cents (and in this economy, it really is only 1.5 cents!). We post at our own discretion and at our own free will.

I think the general feeling for this posting is, GIVE CREDIT for an original idea that you may have CASEd, if you remeber/know where you saw it before. I know I look at a ton of sites for ideas and inspirations. I don't post photos of my work, simply because I don't think they can even come close to what I've seen on the site. But that's what these sites are for - the sharing and exchange of information!! As one member posted, they are saving their best for convention - and who wouldn't??? I'm not going to convention, but I've only shown my upline the cards she is going to bring to swap for me. Finally, to SCHRADES - I don't think you should feel you shouldn't have to post anymore!!!! Your imput is just as important as anyone elses!! 'nuf said - I'm off my soap box!! ~Pam
Mad Swapper

This is something I feel strongly about as well. I don't share that much, but what I do share I don't mind people copying. I just wouldn't want them to copy it and try to pull it off as their own creation. I try to always give credit where credit is due. I don't think anyone should feel bad if they CASE something, just simply put it in the notes and make it known.

On a side note, SU! has now given permission to demos to cut and paste samples from the stampers showcase onto their demo websites. I don't have time to fill up the website with my own creations right now ( I hope to in the future) so I do borrow some from there to give my customers a good variety to look at. I also note in the comments section who the original creator was.

Joy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

OMG....this is so blown out of proportion! Anyone that knows me knows that I am not looking for credit or trying to have copy rights (whatever was said). It wasn't even my cards that were CASED. I was totally just pointing something out that is commen courtesy amoungst demo's/stampers. I was totally nice and in NO WAY meant to offend or point out any one person. If I (or my friends/fellow demonstrators) were worried about people caseing them and not giving us credit every single time we surely wouldn't be uploading our stuff now would we? We love what we do, we love to share!

Is saying you CASE'd a card not a nice way to say thank you so someone who so openly shares her creations (AGAIN, not talking about anyone in particular including myself)? It's just nice if you can to give another stamper credit if you know. If not, just say you saw it somewhere, but don't remember. It's not a rule, no one gets upset, I just thought I would point it out for those who didn't realize. My goodness... do you even realize the amount of time Jenn and Beate give to this site? Not just sharing their creations, but to actually help? Don't you think (again, not talking specifically about them) it makes them(anyone) feel good when someone can say they loved their work so much that they cased? No big deal.... we all do it. IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL. Sorry I said anything....

I totally did not mean to offend anyone, and don't appreciate the rude comments or assumptions from people who don't even know me! Again, I 'm so sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. I guess I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut.

Happy Stampin!!
~Cambria
Insane Embellisher

Cambria, dear, don't feel bad you posted this!! Seriously, if you didn't someone else may have and it is much better that you did. We all know you here from your posts to be a fun-loving person. I didn't take offense and I should hope no one else did! We all have our own opinions and it's good that we can come here and express them. I didn't feel like you were talking to anyone in particular or trying to make anyone feel bad. The last thing we need is to feel sorry about posting something.. we're all friends here!

I say enough of the sad stuff. If you like something you see and copy it.. give credit!

Now.. have fun!!

Embossing Fanatic

I CASED a card for a RAK and it was posted on this site. If I can't send CASED cards, I wont be able to participate in the RAK. I'm not great at coming up with ideas on my own.
Gabfest Goddess

I think Cambria was just trying to be nice to the newcomers and the people posting their samples. From what I have heard around here, she is "da bomb"

Maybe everybody has been staying up to late stamping and needs to get some sleep!
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default RAK

Case away! That is what this site is all about! Sharing and learning and growing! You may want to mention to your recipient that you CASEd it. No big deal! Have fun and I hope you get inspired by everything you see!
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

Cami....don't stop. You are THE BOMB. And we all love you. And everyone....feel free to case away...just mention it. Out of courtesy to the ones who came up with the cards.
Really no big deal.

Be nice. Stamp nice. Love Splitcoaststampers.

Hugs and smiles.

my gallery - my blog
Matboard Maniac

I am new to this webiste and I love it for the opportunity to case things! I think I am a little bit creatively challenged and really love having access to people who aren't. My question is this: Is there anything I should do to give credit when I send a card to a friend or the few I sell at my husbands work? Sometimes they are almost exact duplicates. Sometimes they are just an idea made a lot different. Any "rules" on this?

Again, thank you everyone for your ideas!
Amy
Splitcoast Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

Nope!
Just when you post it on a site...give credit to the person you cased it from. Or just say you cased it if you don't know their name. Case away. That's what this site is for. Inspiration!

my gallery - my blog
Mad Swapper

How does the saying go? "Imitation is the highest form of flattery" or something like that. Anyway, I upload my creations for two reasons: to share and to show off! If anyone CASEd from me, I wouldn't take any offense whatsoever. I would actually be flattered at the thought someone else liked what I did to try it themselves! We are all role models to someone, and if someone's idea gets CASEd without recognition just think of it in a positive light.
SplitCoast is a community and occasionally toes will get stepped on. Just don't take it personally. I seriously doubt anyone would intentionally hurt other members' feelings. It just happens.
Dirty Dozen Alumni

No Amy... no rules. This was totally blown out of proportion. I did say that is what this site is for.... we totally love to share. I was just pointing out that it is nice if you know you've cased to mention it, as a way to thank a person... that's all. I was not upset and I didn't mean to upset anyone. Again, I'm sorry that it offended anyone. It is totally common among demonstrators... this site was originally demonstrators but has grown so big (which is so cool!), I just thought I would mention it before someone did get miffed. And, I wasn't speaking about myself, my work, or anyone else in particular. It isn't a big deal... we all case and we all love to stamp.. that is the fun in it! So sorry.....
~C
Forum Fanatic

Thanks Amy for your question. As a 'newbie' I was wondering the same thing.... what happens when we take ideas for cards that we make for others. Glad to know that there aren't any "rules". As an aside, I think if credit can be given where it's due, that's great. But I also understand the purpose is to share creativity, and that's also great. I absolutely love this site - it's by far the best that I've come across.

~~ today. . . ~~

Mad Swapper

Now Cambri made a statement and I reacted, Cambri was right, I took it personally. Everyone should know that Cambri shouldn't get slammed for having an opinion or a statement to make. I was unconfident and new at posting and posted a CASEd card with some changes, I did say that I cased it but didn't know from who, after I saw Cambri's post I went looking and low and behold I cased from this site and didn't know. I was embarrassed, completely crushed. But Cambri, didn't do anything wrong. I know that I have gotten many very negative emails, (over 20), about myself,and that is fine, but please Cambri don't stop expressing your opinion.

a lot embarrassed,
Kathie
Gabfest Goddess

There was nothing in Cambria's post that should have offended anyone! It is simply a matter of ettiquette and easily followed.
I try to search back in the gallery for cards that have inspired me so that I can give credit to the designer. Failing that, I'll always mention that I've used an idea I saw elsewhere. I'm flattered when people use my work for inspiration, (It's great to see what others can do!) but it is nice to receive credit!
No one should stop posting! Cambria's comments were purely informational and not meant to cause embarrassment to anyone!
Die Cut Diva

Although I have been a member of this site for a while, I have only recently been uploading samples, adding comments, and checking the site daily (alright . . . several times daily!!!). I regret never having formally introduced myself.

I am jumping in on this topic to say that I do not know you personally, Cambria, but your kindness and fun-loving spirit shine through in every comment you make. I can not imagine that you would intentionally hurt anyone's feelings, so your post was taken by this jr. member as a point of information.

I have also enjoyed your participation, Kathie, and add my hope that you will move on from this, realize no one wanted you to take this personally, and continue to participate.

Also consider this to be my informal introduction of myself as one more stamper who LOVES this site!

Keep on stamping,
Cathy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default YIPES!

Good Morning Everyone! I hope that after a good night's sleep we can all relax on this subject and get back to stamping. I stand behind Cami's comments. No harm was intended. I stand behind Kathie (Schrades). The only thing Kathie did was misunderstand Cami's comments. That happens. Please don't be e-mailing her with negative comments. That's just blowing this way out of proportion. Cambria and Kathie have talked privately and have worked things out. They both understand that this was a simple misunderstanding. Nothing more. Please welcome Schrades back to SCS with the rest of us. It wouldn't be the same without her!

I would also like to comment to the rest of you that are afraid to post! Please post. That is the best part of this whole site. You will love it. It feels awesome to get feedback from you fellow stampers! And hec, no you even know how to credit someone if need be! No rules! Just common curtesy!

So Happy Day everyone and a big cyber hug to you all! I love you guys!
Lana
Mad Swapper

Good Morning Ladies,
As you can see from Lana's post Cambri and I have talked. We talked, and this morning we are both walking around with puffy eyes from crying our eyes out. She is wonderful! I MISUNDERSTOOD, I had a reaction without knowing the facts. My husband says thats being a typical woman, I punched him and then had to agree, but then he also pointed that when a group of women are friends,they tend to stay friends no matter what. So next time I have a question on a post I will ask!

Kathie (there is no puffy eyed icon)
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL! I'm glad you punched him first! Men aren't supposed to make those remarks, but then...we make the same remarks about them! Typical man...I'm always saying that to my friends about something my DH does!

I'm glad this is settled! I post up here, like JKinAK does, to share and show off! My DH has seen so many cards that the most I get now is a grunt and a "nice". My customers enjoy my creations, but I don't see them everyday! It's nice to come up and check the comments in my gallery; gives me a real boost!

I don't mind people CASEing my cards. Most people who've copied and shared with other rubber enthusiasts or demos have been gracious enough to ask or credit me, which is fine. I find ideas from lots of places and don't always remember where either. I usually mention that I've CASED an idea, even if I don't remember where. If I were to see a card like one I've designed and someone else said they had CASED it but didn't remember who did it, I might post a comment that they had probably CASED it from me, but that they've done a great job with it. I wouldn't be offended! I hope that puts some minds at rest.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Inking Addict

Default CASE

Oh!Oh! - I send every new stamper I meet to this web site because I think the work here is awesome. No one demonstrastor could possibly turn out the number and variety of cards displayed here. Please keep sharing and caring and CAESing and crediting if it is possible. Thanks
Blessings T :?
SCS Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default casing

I am always missing out on all the excitement. I didn't even know what a case meant! :lol:

We are all entitled to our opinions and this forum is the place to post them. I don't thisnk anyone is upset about the actual post by Cambria, in fact I think most people agree! If anyone is hurt- I am certain it is because there was some misinterpretation, or misunderstanding...

I know that I get most of my ideas from RAK cards, gallery cards, stamp classes that I attend... and I will encourage everyone to do the same...I think Cambria clearly stated if you know where the idea came from- post it- if you don't, no biggie...I know my statemt is redundant and this is probably a dead issues roght now.. but I am a little behind on things :lol: knee deep in the RAK list hahhahah

We love everyone here and we have such a great, talented group of people!
Polyshrink Goddess

I missed all the hoopla because of field trips yesterday....& EVERYTHING has been said, but this....For those of you holding on to the best for convention, you MUST PROMISE to post when you get back! I love this site because I'm strictly a caser. My customers know I do this & I just give FULL credit to the website & then tell them to come surf themselves. So don't stop sharing...even the BEST; we don't mind you saving them for us LAST. Get it? BEST for LAST! Juddaca
Glitter Guru

As someone fairly new to this site. I do agree with you about giving credit where credit is due.

However, in some cases 2 different people can make almost the exact same card without ever seeing anothers.

As a newbie I haven't gone thru all the galleries of all the stamps.

I have uploaded a few of my own cards and I actually have another card sitting on my computer that I used the ornaments wheel on that I made before I even found this site. There was no gallery for the ornaments wheel so I never uploaded it. On Monday I found the Holiday card gallery and lo and behold if there isn't a card that looks almost identical to my card. - same idea and techiques - only difference seems to be the color of the card and even then it looks like they used a different shade of green than me - but overall basically the same.

Many of us have stamp magazines, SU idea book, look at various stamping sites so it could be that we think we are coming up with a novel and different idea but somewhere back in our brains we are actually taking a "template" of what we have seen somewhere and using it for our own, withoutever realizing that we have created is based on something we saw somewhere along the way.

I think there is a difference if you knowingly CASE something and not giving credit vs posting a card that you thought was orginal to you and finding out that someone half a world aways had basically the same idea.

Jenni
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow. I have not been on scs since yesterday at 4:30, and it seems like the storm has come and gone, and there are now rainbows and butterflies again!

I agree with everyone who said that artwork posted here is meant to be admired, and tweaked to your own preferences, or even copied as close as you can. The same with artwork from Stampin' Success, the Stampers' Showcase, or any of the number or magazines available that are filled with samples for us to admire and recreate.

It feels WONDERFUL to have someone take something that you've done, and put their own twist on it to make it their own - whether it is by changing the stamp set, colors, whatever. It feels even MORE wonderful when they tell you that you inspired them!

So everyone, keep on posting your stuff. We all want to see it, and be inspired, and maybe even CASE you!

Have a happy day,
Jenn
Who is happy to be back here after a loooong absence yesterday!
Rubber Obsessor

CAMBRIA,
I just want to say THANK YOU! I'm a newbie and don't know all the rules. I usually can't remember if I CASEd or if it's something I came up with by the time I'm actually making it. However no one ever told me that you're supposed to mention it was CASEd. In fact, before I found this website I didn't even know what it meant! I appreciate you being willing to step out on a limb to let those of us who are new and DON'T know how things are done just what we should do. Thanks again!
Mad Swapper

Cambri,

Please let us know where you are today!

Kathie
Insane Embellisher

Default credit when needed

I agree with Lana, its a new day, feelings have been mended, let's move on, and keep stamping and sharing as this is what this site is about.
Besides, it is sunny in central wisconsin and that means I can take pictures and upload more ideas to my gallery.
I take it as a compliment if my gallery gets cased so case away ladies!
No holds bar!(I think that is how they say... )
Kookie