Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-17-2006, 06:48 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay - I just don't get it

Okay, I look all the time for SU stuff on Ebay - hardly ever buy, but still look... and I found this. I'm not sure how I feel about it but I wanted to share because I think the $$ is just crazy!

http://cgi.ebay.com/58-Stampin-Up-ha...QQcmdZViewItem

I do appologize in advance if the buyer/seller is here on SCS... I just am so surprised at this...

Kisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 06:59 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

78 dollars! Wow, I didnt know half of a card could be worth so much. I would at least want complete cards for that price, that's crazy!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 07:03 PM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

I would be so MAD if someone was selling a card I made in a swap!!!! Like mega-mad!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 07:04 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have purchased card fronts many times on ebay (never for $78, mind you) and I bought them for the ideas, or to give to people for birthdays or what have you (even at $78 for 50-some cards it's still cheaper than getting them at Target or Hallmark!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 07:04 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I was just thinking the same thing. If I had seen one of MY cards in there, I would have been super upset. I mean, he/she is selling other people's hard work! Geeze!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 07:05 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

I personally think that's a steal for 58 unique card fronts, given what you'd have to do and the supplies you'd use if you swapped them yourself. I don't swap for monetary gain, though, but for the fun and excitement of the experience. But if I ws just a regular card buying person, I'd think that was a great price!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 07:05 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I was kind of thinking that I would be a bit irritated too! I can only imagine that it would be a new demo buying these card fronts... and they haven't found Splitcoast swaps yet! I couldn't believe it when it was 59 - but then in the last few minutes it jumped to 78!

At least the seller admits to not making them.... but maybe that almost makes it worse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 07:05 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by katrs5
I would be so MAD if someone was selling a card I made in a swap!!!! Like mega-mad!
I would be very upset, too! Unbelievable what people will pay for.

And just think that they could come here to the gallery and get all the samples that they want FOR FREE!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 07:40 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yeah, those are really "great for demos" to use as workshop samples, given all the retired stamps I could see in the pics! :rolleyes:

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 08:01 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Here's the header from another eBay auction. States that pictures were not included due to angel policy. BuyItNow price is $18.75.

"20 All Occ Card Fronts stampin up CONVENTION TRADES".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 08:05 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by C_Harper
Here's the header from another eBay auction. States that pictures were not included due to angel policy. BuyItNow price is $18.75.

"20 All Occ Card Fronts stampin up CONVENTION TRADES".

I think that is terrible! :eek:

I sort of feeling robbed even though they were not my cards!

One time I saw some dollar store craft scissors going for for $10 or more and I just cannot believe that people would let others believe they were getting a good deal! It makes me sad. :( :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 08:09 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I see this seller just added three more auctions.... he/she must have been pleased with the sale of the first set!

You might want to look to see if your swap card is in there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 10:31 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey, to each his own as the saying goes. I guess I feel more sad for the poor souls that shell out more money then they need to. Then being mad at the sellers. I ROLOL one time when I was searching for poker chips and found a really good deal 1000 poker chips $10, thought whata GREAT deal until I saw the shipping $65 buckaroos. Sometimes you just gotta laugh.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 11:10 PM   #14  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

E-bay is "buyer beware" even though it rots my socks off to see people spending a ridiculous amount on something they could buy way cheaper. If those were cards I'd made, I think I'd be a little upset. Makes me think that if I ever participate in another swap, I'll stamp my name on the back of the card front as well as the back of the card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 02:51 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Getta loada this one. Good golly Miss Molly!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stampin-Up-RETIR...QQcmdZViewItem
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 03:23 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

I can't believe the prices they get for somethings! I was bidding on the wheels but my top bid was $20. Over a hundred now, WOW! Would love to be that seller though. I saw the cards fronts and thought that it was a little tacky to sell things that you had gotten. JMHO

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=77229
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 03:31 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

ebay is always unpredicatble. I think the idea of stamping your name on both the back and the back of the front will help with this problem. Great idea Renee.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 03:46 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

I do a lot of looking on ebay too and actually was talking about ebay vs SU on another thread but thats another story...LOL
A couple of comments...First off I think it is in extremely poor taste to sell some one else's work unless they have asked you to or given you permission to which I am sure was not the case with this one.
Secondly I guess I am not at all like this seller because I will not even think about selling my make and takes from stamping club get togethers or any cards made at any of me demos stamp a stack. I dont feel it is right to take cards that she has given us all the supplies for (at a very good low price) and turn it over into profit for myself.
Third point...ebay tends to have a lot of SU items listed as retired. Well I actually contacted a seller who had a Watercolr minis as retired and made him aware of the fact that it was still available. He apologized, said they were told it had been retired because it was originally a hostess set and they hadnt relaized it had been added as a regular item. He appriecated me letting him know, told me he would try to be more diligent about research, and told me to feel free to let him know if I spy any other errors. Point? I think ebay sellers are trying to make money (myself incuded) but it is based on *reputation* too so an honest ebayer with good feedback wont risk the bad publicity if the error is pointed out to then.
Sorry ...Sometimes I start talking and I cant shut up...LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 04:15 AM   #19  
Inking Addict

As for Ebay, I was talking with my DH a few days ago and told him I believe you can buy anything on Ebay, but the cost is ridiculous in most cases. I found SU stamp sets that were current & being sold for $15-$45 above the sell price in the Katty. Do people ever research before they buy on there? I also say a lot of Quickutz fruits that I was eyeballing and drooling over. There were 7 of them (strawberry, cherry, pear, pinapple, apple, citrus slice,& melon that sold for $150 plus S&H. Granted they were all retired and NLA but still that is almost double the new cost and these were used. I guess teh greatest advantage to Ebay is tracking and guarantee.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 05:35 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Just to play devil's advocate here...

If this person no longer has a need for the cards, then they might have wanted to get them out of their house without just throwing them away. They could have given them away, yes, but maybe they didn't know anyone who wanted them that they'd feel comfortable just handing them to.

As for being tacky to sell other people's artwork...well, if these were paintings or statues or something else, no one would blink about someone selling them. Especially since being swap cards, they made and gave out one of their own cards for each one. They earned these cards.

While I understand completely what folks are saying here, I just thought a little perspective from a different angle might help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 05:38 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

You know we are not talking selling million dollar works of art. People all the time go through their things and sell tole paintings, cross-stitch, macrame, etc. that they have been gifted and they often sell them for a quarter at yard sales. I am surprised that people get so touchy over paper they have stamped and colored and put a few minutes into.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 06:47 AM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the point is that this person joined a swap/s and got the cards for free and is now profiting BIGTIME off it. I'd be upset too. It's sad what people do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 07:08 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

I wrote last week about an auction I was watching for fun, it was the All Around Argyle hostess set and it went for $56.00 + $8.95 s/h. It was kind of fun watching the bidding war, but, I don't think I would go that high on a set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 07:22 AM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Yeah it seems kind of wrong to put the cards in an ebay auction, now in a box at a garage sale seems much more appropriate.

I just don't get 99% of ebay. I have bought a few things, after a fair amount of research, it just seems so much of what is on ebay is ridiculous. The type of things I have bought are not available in stores and those are the only kind of things I look for, my moms old retired China (got her a couple of replacement pieces, reasonalbe prices), My retired China (finished out my set with new stuff at a very reasonable price compared to what it sold for when it was in the stores), My whole good silver set retired (excellent price from what it retailed for) and 2 Land Before Time stuffed dinosaurs for son (the movies are still a big hit, but merchandise to go with them doesn't seem to be out there). I consider those all well thought, consumer knowledgeable purchases.

I get really frustrated with ebay, lately, cause a dear friend is dating a woman who makes her living selling crap on ebay. He told us she recently bought a buch of contact solution at a store when it was on sale for .99 a bottle and is selling it on ebayfor $12! That makes me mad, if it is a store sale, buy what you need and leave the rest for the next customer, don't rip people off with stuff they could just go get themselves! And this all she does goes and buys surplus of good deals and then rips people off, Grrrrrrr!
K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 07:41 AM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

I do a lot of swaps. I would not be offended if someone sold my work in a lot. Once I swap, my work becomes theirs to do as they please. Someone said it was rude because you get the items for free. Not so. You pay for ones you make to swap out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 09:29 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have to disagree about the seller ripping people off with prices. The bidder has the option to bid or not. A lot of auctions start off with $1.99 it is the bidders who get the price up in the high dollar amounts. It is the bidder's responsibility to educate themselves on the prices. Buyer Beware is the best advice.

I wonder, though, how the seller could have pictures of the cards and sell them. Wouldn't it go against SU's Angel policy and copyright? Is it alright because it is not being done repeatedly as in a storefront, i.e., these are a one time deal and not being mass produced? I seem to remember that a seller can't make cards to auction off on e-bay, or am I wrong? Is the fact that the sets are retired make a difference?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 09:41 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

Red face I guess I am the odd man out here.......

but I do not feel the way most of you seem to about this auction. First of all, she stated right up front that they were from a swap and not her own work. She did not get the fronts free. She had to make fronts to swap in order to get these in return. Also, you can only stack, store, cram so many cards in your space. Sometimes you just have to get rid of stuff. This is just my humble opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 11:23 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

A couple of years ago I bought some card fronts on ebay.spent more than I wanted (or should have) but I thought still pretty reasonable. Seller said over 120 "Demo Quality" cards/fronts. I wanted them for ideas. Well, when they came I was soooo disappointed! They were NOT demo quality, they were "chintsey", smudged, no layers, etc. The whole mess wound up in the trash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 12:36 PM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to shellca

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindygrammy2
I wrote last week about an auction I was watching for fun, it was the All Around Argyle hostess set and it went for $56.00 + $8.95 s/h. It was kind of fun watching the bidding war, but, I don't think I would go that high on a set.
well, Tags so Much sold for $65 and it's a level 1 set! Geesh!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stampin-Up-TAGS-...QQcmdZViewItem
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 12:39 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyNurse
but I do not feel the way most of you seem to about this auction. First of all, she stated right up front that they were from a swap and not her own work. She did not get the fronts free. She had to make fronts to swap in order to get these in return. Also, you can only stack, store, cram so many cards in your space. Sometimes you just have to get rid of stuff. This is just my humble opinion.
Regardless, it is a direct violation of SU!'s copyright policy to sell these card fronts on eBay. Doesn't matter what the seller disclosed in the auction description, whether they were swaps or all made by the seller, or what the motivation was for listing them for sale -- it's not allowed. Period.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 05:31 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

Smile Rachel, I understand what you are saying....

and I agree on that part. If it is against SU policy, then it is wrong. But the original gripe was that she was selling swap cards and people were mostly offended by that.
Reply With Quote Likes