Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-06-2004, 11:57 AM   #121  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: There you go........

Quote:

Originally Posted by madew
Someone is talking about what people are bidding without knowledge of the real prices in the catalog. I agree so why not.........

Sell catalogs on ebay.

Shirley
It's against Ebay policy, b/c they want profit from economic activity that is generated from their site.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 12:08 PM   #122  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarLitStudio

Regarding the issue of selling retired sets on SCS:

I am looking to unload a quantity of retired sets & wheels.

I have chosen not to list my retired sets/wheels on SCS.

I would like to voice WHY:

1. No grading system at SCS for the seller. How does an SCS buyer know they will receive the sets they pay me for? I would want to have more reassurance if I was a buyer.

2. Lack of photo upload. Is the set well trimmed? Excessive stains on the rubber? I would want to know this if I was buying a mounted set.

Numerous emails with attachments are required if interest is shown. This represents a chunk of time, time I would rather not invest for the uncertainty of a possible sale.

3. If I list on eBay: Immediate clearance. No wait. It will sell. Wait on SCS is indefinite.

4. Number of viewers. SCS views of a stamp set versus eBay views of a stamp set. Enough said.

5. Lack of my success with past posts (lack of interest) on SCS buy/sell/trade forum.

My 2 cents,
I would like to add to Cindy's list: I, too have had a number of retired sets, BRAND NEW, UNMOUNTED available for sale. I have posted them here on SCS. And almost without exception, the prospective buyer wants to purchase them for LESS than I PAID for them. Now, I hardly think that's fair, is it? At least on Ebay, I can open it to market forces, and get what it's worth, if not, what people are willing to pay for it, which CAN OFTEN be less than it's worth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 12:48 PM   #123  
Die Cut Diva

Well here are my 2 cents. I do buy off of ebay but always with my catty right next to me. If I can get it cheaper including the shipping and I really want it then I will.

I do stear clear of the stores and always look to see if they say they are not demos. Had I known you could turn them in I would have when I saw someone selling a gift certificate buying stuff from her for a year at her price. There really isn't a question there weather she is a demo or not. I have received my item with business cards in them and I don't buy from them anymore. Now that I know you can turn them in I will start doing that. I don't see anything wrong with that.

I did just receive $$$ for my bd and plan on spending all of it with my demo. She knows I buy off of ebay but I buy more off of her.

SAHM to Dominik 1/1/00 & Alyssa 3/8/01
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/smartinez182

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 01:04 PM   #124  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: WOW!

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
Quote:

Originally Posted by rubadubdub
Even sellers of non SU! products try to get those precious letters in their title or description, knowing it will draw viewers and increase the winning bid.
You can report those sellers for an eBay violation called "keyword spamming", which is when unrelated words that don't actually describe the item for sale are included in the description to manipulate searches. It can be blatant, or the more computer-savvy types do it through hidden text in their HTML code (most commonly done as white text or very tiny text that you can't really see). Just click the "Policies" link at the bottom of the page, and look for the "Rules for Everyone" section.
Additionaly, it is trademark infringement to used a brand name unrelated to a product. If SU had the resources that company like Disney has, they could persue someone legally for it. Could you imagine buying shose from an auction that said they were just like Nike?

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 01:06 PM   #125  
Die Cut Diva

Does that mean the people that put in the title "Not Stampin Up" are violating the rules? I see that all the time cause then it comes up in the search.

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 01:14 PM   #126  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I know about ebay ripoffs, but when I put something on ebay it never goes for what I would like it to.. lol I just put a double alphabet set with matching numbers on here and with shipping I got like $31.09 for them... saw the same set earlier w/o numbers and she got new price for them... now someone has the new SAB sets on there for $29.95 BIN. I can't believe someone puts them on there already!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...152835114&rd=1
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 01:18 PM   #127  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartinez182
Does that mean the people that put in the title "Not Stampin Up" are violating the rules? I see that all the time cause then it comes up in the search.
Yes, absolutely.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/brand-name.html

They have this policy so not to be named in infringement lawsuits.

My new favorite site...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 01:20 PM   #128  
Die Cut Diva

Well I will have to keep that in mind. I have come across people advertising a set as retired when it actually wasn't and sent them an email letting them know that. I replied that they should pay more attention. I guess I could warn them and then turn them in. Or should I just turn them in??? I guess I'm not sure now.

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 01:25 PM   #129  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kar
I know about ebay ripoffs, but when I put something on ebay it never goes for what I would like it to.. lol I just put a double alphabet set with matching numbers on here and with shipping I got like $31.09 for them... saw the same set earlier w/o numbers and she got new price for them... now someone has the new SAB sets on there for $29.95 BIN. I can't believe someone puts them on there already!!

She doesn't list it as a pre-sale and says it will be mailed 3 days after payment. So the only way she could have it is to be a demo, right?

Also, I am assuming she is using SU's copyrighted materials in her ad. (Images from SAB mini?) Big no-no.

My new favorite site...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 01:26 PM   #130  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kar

That's a cute story in her first auction about how she's NOT A DEMO, just happened to stumble onto an estate sale of a demo who just got her SAB sets and would throw them in if she bought all $500 worth of product from her "estate sale".

WHATEVER! Call me suspicious, but I don't believe her!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 01:41 PM   #131  
The Amazin' Yappin' Scrapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartinez182
Well I will have to keep that in mind. I have come across people advertising a set as retired when it actually wasn't and sent them an email letting them know that. I replied that they should pay more attention. I guess I could warn them and then turn them in. Or should I just turn them in??? I guess I'm not sure now.
I did that a couple of weeks ago and received the NASTIEST note back. Hey, I'm just trying to keep things honest--selling a current set and calling it retired is just flat-out wrong. I even told the seller the page no and everything. She snapped back asking if I had anything better to do than troll ebay looking for people with incorrect postings. Personally, I think she was trying to get away with something. I let it drop, but I guess I should have reported her to SU! Too bad I don't still have that nasty email. I was too p*ssed to keep it. Argh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 01:44 PM   #132  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngFab
That's a cute story in her first auction about how she's NOT A DEMO, just happened to stumble onto an estate sale of a demo who just got her SAB sets and would throw them in if she bought all $500 worth of product from her "estate sale".
Yeah, right!!

Does ebay now publish all questions & answers like this or is it up to the seller to decide???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 01:45 PM   #133  
Die Cut Diva

I just spent about 5 minutes on ebay and found 3 people that put not stampin up in the title. I sent them an email that said they were going against policy with the link that KAR gave. I guess I will wait and see what happens. I also have a question in the lady with SAB sets so I can see if I can get a name.

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 01:46 PM   #134  
Polyshrink Goddess

Becky G: why, if you have something to sell or unload, shouldn't I expect to pay less than you did? That's the name of the game, isn't it? If I wanted to pay full price I'd buy from a demo, or in a store, etc. If I'm going to buy a "pig in a poke" it had better be less than something I can see, hold in my hands and examine. Why else are you selling it unless you don't want it anymore or it's used or it's outdated. And I should pay top price?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 01:51 PM   #135  
Die Cut Diva

Rats my plan backfired. No such luck on a name. O well I tried. But if anyone is interested she does combine shipping and there are no handling cost. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 01:56 PM   #136  
Pearl-ExPert

Blech! So now I was surfing and stumbled into one of those Power Sellers with her freakin' ebay store!

She had ELEVEN PAGES of product! Chock full of insp sheets and techniques booklets as a "special bonus"

SEE? This is why I avoid ebay! It's so dang annoying!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 02:34 PM   #137  
The Amazin' Yappin' Scrapper

I sent what is probably a rather heated message to su demo support about the one selling the SAB items. That's just plain wrong in so many ways--not just that she has the product, but that she also has pix from the website that only demos should have at this point.

I'm with AngFab--just so dang annoying--though you say it much nicer than I do

Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 03:01 PM   #138  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenbish
That's just plain wrong in so many ways--not just that she has the product, but that she also has pix from the website that only demos should have at this point.
Oh my! That's pretty blatant!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 04:33 PM   #139  
Matboard Maniac

Stampin UP should actually buy the products from these sellers on ebay. Doesn't have to be all, just one. Then through Pay Pal, they will definately get a name. Then they can check their records, and REALLY put an end to all this! I wonder if this has even crossed their minds!?! I know they can afford it! And it's worth it! This would be the perfect solution. Then SU can't use the excuse... "ebay won't give us names"! Then SU can put up a "LIST OF SHAME" for people who get caught! That would teach them a lesson :twisted: ! Mu-ahahaha....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 04:52 PM   #140  
Pearl-ExPert

I actually was looking at 2 of the "power sellers" with their ebay stores, (that was all I could stand!) and if they are NOT a demo, they HAVE to be working with one or maybe even more than one. They offer more than one quarterly incentive set, you're only SUPPOSED to earn one total for $400 in workshop sales. So they would have to be working with 2 demos to get additional sets. They use the hostess free to get more product to sell, and I don't even want to talk about all the freakin' calendars and insp sheets that are on there! Incentive stamps - likely handed out from some demo for "such great party sales" What a crock! Grrrrrrrr!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 05:02 PM   #141  
Die Cut Diva

Angfab: I think you could cheat the system by making up customers and having all of the product sent to the demo's address. If they did that they could get several of the quarterly sets. At least it seems like that is probably how they do it---I wouldn't know for sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 05:22 PM   #142  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Stampin' Up! has the names and addresses of two of the top eBay store owners, so don't buy anything from them to track them down - it's already been done months ago! Obviously, they are not demonstrators, but have hidden supplier(s) who are demonstrators. It seems like SU could do some detective work based on sales and locations, but maybe it is harder than it seems. There are probably thousands of demonstrators within driving distance of Westerville (Columbus), OH so the one that offers a lot of demo only stuff will be hard to track down. And the one based in Union City, PA is probably buying at long distance, so that demonstrator(s) could be anywhere in the country! Maybe after things have settled down with the move, the company will be able to work more on closing down the eBay stores.

BTW. the lady with the 2005 SAB sets "estate sale" is using photos from the demonstator only website, so her tale is rather fishy!
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 05:46 PM   #143  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngFab
I actually was looking at 2 of the "power sellers" with their ebay stores, (that was all I could stand!) and if they are NOT a demo, they HAVE to be working with one or maybe even more than one.
If I had one question to ask Jerry Day, it would be why the language in the open letter to demos on the SU site is not incorporated into the demo agreement.

I refer to this: "We also consider it a violation to knowingly sell Stampin’ Up! products to any person for the sole purpose of resale on auction sites."

My take on why the power sellers on eBay selling volumes of SU! merchandise is: SU has their names, they have the demonstrators that are providing the merchandise, but legally they can not pursue, due to the current wording of the SU! demo agreement.

I hope this is changed, and quickly; perhaps at Convention '05 we can receive a revised demo agreement with this language fully incorporated. There are other loopholes I would like to see closed, but this is not the forum for that.

We're up to 4 cents now...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 06:12 PM   #144  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

If they "consider it a violation" as stated in this letter from Jerry then that makes it a violation, doesn't it? But, I suppose that a demonstrator that would be unethical in one regard, wouldn't hesitate in starting a lawsuit if her demonstratorship were terminated. I wasn't thinking about the legal angle of this topic. Interesting.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 06:17 PM   #145  
Matboard Maniac

Default nasty ebay

OK I have to chime in on this also.....
as far as ebay is concerned it is not my business that gets hurt it is there pockets growing AND THEY OWN PAYPAL!!
A long time ago I sold items from a diff. company on ebay because the demand was so high and you have to keep so much stock it was so hard so my up line told me this was a quick way to make sure you got your quota. Well I did this and they cought me. OOPS LOL I had to sign a contract with them that I would not do this again.
I gave up being a consultant for them because of the fact if I had to go to those means to keep up it was not for me.
SU has a LOW quarterly min so what is the trouble making it? NOT ONE if you do one workshop every 2 months you can do this.IT IS THE GREED FACTOR ON THESE PEOPLES part. Not trying to keep there business going but greed. and you know what happens to greedy people in the long run.
Dont worry about what others are doing just worry about yourself and you will do great. Me too.It will all work out in the end. OH SU must not really care too much because all those girls that sell like nuts on ebay and Yahoo auctions well they make them a heck of a lot of money. so the girls that do it legal CHEERS TO US and the ones that dont WELL Cheaters never win and winners dont cheat. but I dont care if you sell on ebay or on the moon I will do what I do and not worry about you!!
Have a great holiday season.
OH BY the way.... There is not a reason BUT not working your SU business to not be successful and RE jump start your business. in JAN!!!
SAB good times come on...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 07:38 PM   #146  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by danahatch
Angfab: I think you could cheat the system by making up customers and having all of the product sent to the demo's address. If they did that they could get several of the quarterly sets. At least it seems like that is probably how they do it---I wouldn't know for sure!
O.M.G. I am SO naive (sp?)! :oops: You could easily "make up" hostesses and customers to cheat and get more than one set! I'm proud to say my simple (but honest) brain just doesn't think that way!

Someone talked about greed. I said (and still say) a few pages back that the ebay issue boils down to MONEY. As long as there is a way around it, these power sellers will be there cheating the system, because they are making money doing it.

So - like someone else wisely said - I can't control them or police them all myself, so I will try to only worry about what I, myself am doing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 07:58 PM   #147  
Stazon Splitcoast

I read some posts here earlier this year (last spring, I think) where claims were made that a few demos who were recognized at convention (and went on the cruise) got there on their massive eBay sales. I'd hate to think that's truly the case, but looking at some of these gigantic eBay stores I have to conclude that it probably is.

Unfortunately the greed happens on eBay's side of things as well. Power Sellers earn eBay lots of $$ in the fees that they pay -- insertion fees, and a "final value fee" based on the amount of the winning bid. So, there's little incentive for eBay to shut them down. I frequent the sellers message board over there, and there's no shortage of complaints about Power Sellers who bend the rules but still are allowed to keep selling. SU!, on the other hand, likely has enough clout as a huge, successful company to get results if they decide to lean on eBay regarding these dishonest demos.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 08:56 PM   #148  
Matboard Maniac

In regard to the SAB sets for sale already also, If it were an estate sale over the weekend that would barely give enough time for the demo to receive the items, let alone sell them at an estate sale. If she were having financial difficulties it seems to me the SAB sets never would have been ordered in the first place.

The only normal people are the ones I dont know very well.

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/emily
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 06:41 PM   #149  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by spammie
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat
I read a lot on this site about "buying paper [here]; it's the same as SU! but much cheaper", or "I can't justify buying the checkbooks from SU! when they are so much more for the same thing?"

I'm not trying to start anything here, but I think we could all consider how this behavior seems to go unnoticed but eBay is so bad. While I recognize it isn't against SU! rules, it goes against the grain of the discussions on purchasing from your demo and supporting your demo's business.
I'm a happy practitioner of the "behavior" you mentioned (and in fact I'm trying to put together a bulk purchase of confetti paper now!) I'm not a demo, I'm a customer. I support my demo big time with regular LARGE orders, but I certainly don't think I owe it to her to buy all my stamping supplies from her. Should I buy Snail adhesive from her at more than twice the cost of Mono from Viking? I don't think so, and neither does she - although I'm sure she would welcome the purchase.

Ebay is different. Although the SU ebay rules don't apply to me, I won't buy current stuff from demos on ebay because (a) those demos aren't honest and (b) their dishonesty harms demos like mine who abide by their contract with SU.
Did I miss something? I'm confused. What is this about?

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 06:55 PM   #150  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I'm a happy practitioner of the "behavior" you mentioned (and in fact I'm trying to put together a bulk purchase of confetti paper now!) I'm not a demo, I'm a customer. I support my demo big time with regular LARGE orders, but I certainly don't think I owe it to her to buy all my stamping supplies from her. Should I buy Snail adhesive from her at more than twice the cost of Mono from Viking? I don't think so, and neither does she - although I'm sure she would welcome the purchase.

Ebay is different. Although the SU ebay rules don't apply to me, I won't buy current stuff from demos on ebay because (a) those demos aren't honest and (b) their dishonesty harms demos like mine who abide by their contract with SU.
I think buying mono from Viking is a bit different than buying current items on eBay. I would rather my customers spend less on something like that so they can spend more on stamps from me. I don't think anyone on here thinks that our customers should only buy stamping supplies from us (I'm a demo). Do I prefer it....well of course. Wal-Mart prefers that you buy your groceries, you dvd's your clothing and you name it from them. Do I expect it. Heck no. Do I advertise where they can get their mono or anything else cheaper? No, not unless they ask. Well, last week I told my best customer that I was going to Hobby Lobby to get Stazon half off. I offered to get her stuff too. Anyways, I'm rambling about that. I just am saying that get the supplies you want where you want. I am glad to hear that you don't purchase from eBay sellers with current stuff. You are right, they are dishonest.

I appreciate everyones opinions. It doesn't matter if they are against mine or not. It is a great thing that we are not all the same. Celebrate our differences.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 07:11 PM   #151  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kar

Is it also a violation that she is using the SU image from the web page? Dead give-away just due to the fact they are the SAB 2005 sets. But, you can only get that pic from the SU demo site.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 07:32 PM   #152  
Crimping Master

I know...I know.... this is my fourth post in a row. I just had to say something else. It's just plain wrong. Demo's selling current merch on eBay is wrong no matter what! Period :!:

SU has a GREAT demo plan. I have done other sales before for 30% and for that cosmetics company for 50% commission. In both, I had to pay for the hostess benefits. In the cosmetic business, I had to keep an inventory and lost so much money in that business when I got out. I could never use all that stuff. Plus, I had to buy samples. In the end, there was no 50% commission. I had to spend a lot of it to purchase all the extra stuff I had to have. If I want to get out of SU. I can still use all my stuff or sell it to another demo or customers, on SCS or on eBay (only if I was liking dying and needed a kidney). But it's very unlikely that I would get rid of it. Plus that other company (a Great company) had a policy that I couldn't sell that stuff to another consultant.

Anyways, "I bought them at an estate sale" Yeah, and did you pay her extra to get you photos off her SU demo site? And, yea, I agree, I'm about to have an estate sale so obviously I'm in financial trouble or something, but a week ago I bought SAB sets. DUH!! (rolling my eyes!!)

Oh, and I had to edit this to add one more thing. I reported someone's eBay supper store to SU. I was suprised that I got an email back from SU thanking me. And it wasn't an automated response either. They may have to work slow and it might not be shut down tomorrow but they will work on it.

11 pages of SU items, mostly current. Where do you get that if you aren't a demo? You get it from your demo. Ok, I'm a demo and Suzie Stamper buys 20 mono's from me this month, or the watercolor pencils once a month. Yeah, I'd think she was a pretty avid stamper....wouldn't you? And and I'm sure I'd give her at least 5 of the inpirations sheets. She does stamp alot and who knows, she might need them. And of course I wouldn't wonder why she orders hundreds and hundreds of dollars of items in two weeks time. Give me a break!!!! But I guess what I'm hearing is that it's not against my contract to do that.....SU needs to change the contract to include that then.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 10:30 AM   #153  
Kookie Creator

Default Compelled to respond...

I have been sitting by the wayside objectively observing this thread -- which is to say, I have no personal investment in either side of the argument itself.

But I feel compelled to call attention to a couple of things that have been expressed in this thread, and in others at times, as a way of being "devil's advocate," not for the auctions, auctioneers, or SU, but for the principles of what everyone who is PO'd about Ebay seems to be arguing in support of. I often feel compelled to write on the forums, in order to just get people to think about their reactions, or what they are saying, or thinking, simply for the purpose of understanding their own motives or what's leading them to such a strong reaction. I once had a spiritual teacher who instructed us to always examine our internal reactions to things that we felt strongly about, because it was a clue to something inside us that required deeper examination, understanding, and acceptance. I have found this to be helpful in many instances. And thus, the reason for this post.

I think we live in a world today where there are too many who are too quick to judge, condemn and vilify, long before they are willing to understand, accept and forgive. And that statement has to do with the world at large, and is reflected in this thread of posts to some degree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommakate
I ahve seen this too and since I am not a demo I have sent the bidder an email and offered the page and rpice in teh catty and pointed them to the "fnd a Demo" button on the SU website!

I know you demo's cannot do that as its a marketing violation but there is NOTHING to stop me as a customer from doing it!

Kate
mm2kjs says: "Okay, now I've been really bad because I have gone to the person who bid 2nd highest and e-mail them to tell them that I could get them a better deal if they are interested. I know you're not supposed to do that but then again..."

The following paragraphs are aimed at the kind of thinking that is evident in the two quotes above -- not at particular people...

1) Your argument is that they shouldn't do it because it's "wrong" -- against SU policies. Your argument is that they shouldn't be doing it simply because of that one singular reason. (I am not arguing that one way or the other.) YET: you are willing to violate Ebay policies by interfering in an ongoing auction, which is against EBAY policy. So, in effect, you are going against what is "right" simply to exact a consequence on someone else because you are angry about something they are doing. Again, I'm not arguing the merits or lack thereof of violating SU policy. But, you are willing to break a rule, that has nothing to do with SU simply b/c you believe that what the seller is doing is breaking an SU rule. No, as someone indicated, two wrongs do not make a right. Ebay is not inherently "evil" as I have seen many people assert here on this board. It may be true that there are many people flagrantly violating SU policy of selling there. It may be true that in some instances people pay much much more than they COULD for things that are currently available. Does that make it acceptable for others to engage in violation of other rules in order to satisfy their own anger or resentment???

2) For those of you who usurped the non-winning bidders in an attempt to gain for your OWN benefit -- wasn't that an attempt to personally benefit from the existence, and nature, and activity of Ebay? If so, how can you condemn it's existence, or the nature of the business that is conducted there, when simply because of what you have railed against, has now been of benefit to you?

Again, I am putting forth these "arguments" (as in lines of reasoning) simply to encourage everyone to think about what it is 1) they are thinking/feeling re. these situations, 2) how they are acting as a result of their feelings, and 3) evaluate your own actions based on the same "right/wrong" principles against which you are evaluating others, and finally 4) are you taking the right course of action with respect to the situation and your feelings?

I believe that in order to be "right" across the board -- that is, in terms of BOTH SU and Ebay policies -- is, if you are indeed incensed by the violation of SU policy (and again, I neither support you nor disagree with you on that), you can legitimately report the seller to SU, and not infringe on the rights of others as it relates to either entity. To some way of thinking, it is equally wrong to interfere in an auction as it is to sell current SU on ebay as a demo. There are many legitimate sellers on Ebay of ALL kinds of items, and there are buyers who frequently purchase all kinds of items. WHen you enter into a transaction for the purpose of mucking it up for the "wrong-doer" you are mucking up the trust that legitimate buyers and sellers have on that economic site. And THAT's the reason for the Ebay rule against interfering in an auction.

Just my $ .02 worth.
Becky G
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2006, 11:55 AM   #154  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by spammie
From what I've read, the folks who are reporting ebay sellers are demonstrators who abide by their contract with SU and are concerned about unfair competition from demonstrators who do are violating their contracts. I bet they get tired of spending their time & money doing demonstrations & then hearing potential customers say that they'll just get it on ebay instead!

I see that you can send a link to someone at SU about demo's that are selling on ebay, about this person violating their contract, but they would not have that persons 'real' name just their ebay id. So how would SU be able to eliminate them as a demo? If you had to bid on something from them to get their name then what would you do when the set came to you? Wouldn't that get kind of expensive, to buy something from every seller on ebay,judging by how much new stuff is on ebay? I guess I'm totally bored today and reading weird stuff but now I'm just curious.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2006, 12:22 PM   #155  
Glitter Queen

You rarely get "deals" on ebay. The shipping prices most charge are Outrageous. I have found that on many auctions, friends of the lister bid to inflate the price, thus making us "have to have it people" go bonkers and spend WAY OVER our means. (not to mention that is against ebay policy). But I am happy to admit. My name is Cheysieden and I am a "stampoholic". I no longer ebay for "any" stamping items. My new stalking grounds are here on SCS for the retireds. My best stalking grounds are the online catty at the SU site. Consider it your own private auction and you are ALWAYS the winner. To boot, if you win enough times or spend enough all at once there are bennies. Imagine that?!?! I can even afford the shipping
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2006, 12:28 PM   #156  
Glitter Queen

YNOTSTAMP...................You Rock........we all need to "do the right thing" no matter where we are. Lets use logic not emotion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2006, 12:32 PM   #157  
Crimping Master

Default IMHO

ok, I know this is an old post but, a friend and I were just talking about this the other day.
First: We're both demos, and get upset when current is on e-bay.
Second: If SU knows that certain "retired" sets are going for outrageous prices why don't they come up with new or similar sets?
ex..............scouts at play, (come up with another scout set)
tractor time.... (another tractor set)
Know what I mean? I would love for SU to come up with specials besides the minis to help with sales and get people excited. Like a summer special with either retireds brought back (like what disney does) or similiar one. I know they would still be sold on e-bay but, we can't be responsible for other people's actions, only our own.
That was just my 2 cents worth and hopefully I didn't upset anyone.
Kelley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2006, 08:45 PM   #158  
Embossing Fanatic

It's funny to see this thread, because I was going to ask the same kinds of questions. I've used ebay for a lot of things in the past so when I got hooked on SU! I started browsing for good deals. I bought a ton of supplies from my demonstrator, but wanted to round out my collection because I have spent WAY too much money so far and was hoping to get a few basic stamp sets for less...stretch my dollar. To my dismay, almost everything I bid on closed for more than the current catalog price! Add shipping to that and you end up paying way more when you could have just purchased it from your coordinator. I don't see any logical explanation for that. I can understand people who are cleaning out supplies and passing on things they don't use anymore, but even those items go for catalog price or more. The biggest scam right now is people who stocked up on sell-a-bration and winter mini sets and are passing them off as "discontinued" items. Because they are no longer available from SU, I've seen things like the Tag Time punch box selling for $10 over catalog price. I was hoping to get one since I missed out on ordering it, but not at that inflated price.

And...my two cents about the demonstrators who are selling on ebay...it's disgusting. I think from now on I'm going to have to feed my stamping habit through my SU dealer! Then at least I know I'm helping support someone I know. Geez...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 03:39 AM   #159  
Glitter Guru

what I can't understand is how this happens.Many times I have bid on something like a stamp set.and the price before I start bidding says 3.85.then as I start to put my bid in say I put a bid in for 3.90.it will come back to me as you have been outbidded by a higher bidder .so I go up on my price to a final nid of perhaps 4.25 and do this a few times. it comes back saying you have benn outbid by a higher bidder.so I stop at a certain point.then later go back and find that nboone else has bid it's the same bidder's name still showing with the bid I seen when i started bidding.I guess I don't understand why It didn't accept my higher bid.can anyone explain this to me.If I went up 3 times higher how come it says this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 03:56 AM   #160  
Stazon Splitcoast

Lisa62 - I am not sure but this has happened to me also - I thought it had something to do with the automatic bidding - when you put in a maximum price and e-bay automatically raises the price if some one else bids. Maybe some one else knows.

I agree - some of those prices are outrageous. When I first started stamping and did not even know about SU, I bought a few items - mostly collections. Sometimes I got a good deal, sometimes not. Once in a while I got SU retired sets, usually at a good price. Unfortunately, there are people everywhere who will not follow the rules - and that is too bad for the majority who are doing things right. And I am sure there are a lot of e-bay buyers who have no clue about "real" catty prices.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes