Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-07-2015, 08:40 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 298 Likes on 115 Posts

Guilty admission of sorts: if I give things to my daughter and discover that I miss a particular thing, I know where to borrow it from... ;)

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2015, 02:37 PM   #42  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Reading Bahb's post about being older and downsizing I had to comment. I'm 74 and I'm downsizing but not my stamping or stitching stuff or books. I'm getting rid of all my entertaining stuff - different sizes of cocktail glasses and pitchers, serving platters, silverplate bowls and trays, all that type of nice but not used by me anymore. I don't entertain like we used to and my daughter doesn't want any of this stuff so each week I pack more and hubby brings it to Goodwill and they love it. I hope I'm making someone happy with these items that were just taking up room in my cabinets, china closet and curio cabinet. Now if I can only get hubby to get rid of all the coffee mugs people have given him over the years - he doesn't even drink coffee and who needs 45 mugs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2015, 04:08 PM   #43  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm 74, too! It's only been 2 years that I've been making cards. It's given me a reason to be creative again. I used to do counted cross stitch and sew for my girls and stencil walls when repainting a room and work at a real job. When I retired at 66 I didn't want to commit to anything except what I wanted to do, not what I had to do. So I did nothing except keep my hubby company, go grocery shopping, cook, watch TV and I gained 15 pounds and started not wanting to hear my hubby's voice! I really didn't want to do any of those things. I went to the doctor for anxiety. I cried often, for no reason. People my age died and I felt guilty for being ungrateful.
Well, to make this story shorter, I bought a couple of rubber stamps at Goodwill, found some border punches, too. Used coupons at JoAnns and Michaels for paper and ink pads. You tube videos showed me how to make cards of all kinds. I found SCS, lurked for a long time, found a cause on your forum and send kids with illnesses birthday cards and have even gotten 4 thankyou's from the kids (I cried again!). I feel so good when I create, my hubby has gotten used to me disappearing for a few hours in my craft room at which time he watches reruns on TV and I don't criticize that he's seen it umpteen times. LOL!

Well, I didn't think I'd have this much to say about this topic but I was wrong. See...I can even admit to being wrong sometimes...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #44  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

I worked with a professional organizer, and these were her criteria for whether to keep something or not: do I love it? do I need it? does it provide for me?

New thought... I was watching a video today on quality/waste/lean six sigma. They mentioned that having too much (inventory) is a form of waste. Got me thinking. They also said that unused creativity is also a form of waste. That got me thinking too. I ultimately concluded I need to stop working, stay home, and use up all my supplies and creativity . (That last bit was a joke )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2015, 04:55 AM   #45  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to quit paper crafting, but moving it all out and starting over has been very tempting lately. As in clear out my entire room, paint the walls a new color, really scrub the floors, and only put back what I really want/use. I would use the "if I haven't used it in over one year, it is going" train of thought when deciding what goes back in....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2015, 07:32 AM   #46  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: Somewhere between here and there and enjoying the journey!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've found reading this post so interesting. To the OP, I have asked myself the same question over the past year so many times. Since I was a demo for 10 years and had events all that time, plus frequent blogging, stamping was taking a chunk of time every day.

BAHB and wavejumper, your posts made me laugh and really think too! And I am right with the less is more plan.

I almost gave up stamping completely. But a recent bout with health issues has made me SO grateful that have something I like to do during this time. If I couldn't create something I would go crazy just sitting!! Stamping not only involves creativity but it challenges my mind in that there's always something new to learn or to try.

I have quit all the other activities except stamping and blogging which are things I love to do. I haven't stopped buying stamps either - in fact I've broadened my stash base considerably.
But I'm weeding out and getting rid of any stamps and supplies that don't bring me joy. I really think that Does it bring me joy question is a good criterion to use. I'm finding lots of joy in this hobby still.

When it stops being fun for you - take a break. I agree it's easier to make choices when the amount of stamps and accessories is streamlined.

Last edited by cindybstampin; 07-09-2015 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #47  
Insane Embellisher

Default Yes I have!

I have been wrestling with that very thing for awhile.

I started scrapbooking/stamping/card making way back in 2003, right before my daughter was born. I did a lot of scrapbooking in the beginning, and after much stressing, I finally realized that it was more important to get the pictures on the page than feeling so much pressure to make each page "perfect". Then I progressed more into card making: Christmas, every day, birthday, church ministry, etc. I really enjoyed that, and I still occasionally make them.

I started back to work last year (at my daughter's school), but for a few years before that, I decorated her class bulletin boards throughout the year (usually changing them out once a month), helped with classroom crafts, etc. I then realized that I was using some supplies I hadn't brought out in years. Now I have my very own hallway bulletin board at school and I'm using my Cricut and my HUGE paper supply for those. I never had many "tools" but I do have tons of stamps, inks, and paper.

I've gone through these cycles before, but I've always come back to this hobby...until now. We moved recently, and after lugging this stuff (especially the paper) down stairs in one house and up stairs into this one, I began to weigh the pleasure I get from doing it vs. the space it takes up, the money that's tied up in it, etc. I have been fortunate these past 7 years to have a dedicated craft room (and I do in the new house as well), but it is packed!

I've been writing for a few years, and now that my daughter's getting older, I can devote more time to it. I've made the decision to slowly start selling what I have so that I can free up that room to create a writer's retreat. It's somewhat sad because I have so many memories of crops, classes, girls' weekends, etc., and so many friends who share this hobby, but we change as the years progress.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #48  
Mad Swapper

Received 497 Likes on 164 Posts

I am currently at a crossroads, struggling mightily with a general malaise and vague sense of dissatisfaction. I haven't crafted in weeks, but I am still finding cool things and buying them. Unfortunately, most of the items don't belong to the company I am signed up to represent...and there's the rub.
I have been with this company for over 11 years, and have been quite satisfied with the relationship, the responsibilities and the products. But recently, I have come to the realization that I really dislike selling (especially upselling or continuous promotions), and even more I loathe recruiting. I still hold events and send customers information and new catalogs, but there is an increasing disconnect with my role wearing that demonstrator hat. I find myself less drawn to the newest offerings...they aren't my style and I am reluctant to buy merely for the sake of buying.

I am not sharing any of this to diss or otherwise disrespect the company that has treated me fairly over the past decade, but to say that we all grow and change. Companies do, customers do, and so have I. It doesn't mean I have failed. I just need to decide the level and scope of "packing it all in" so that I can rekindle that creative spark...if it still exists.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

ChrisO, you are not alone. I remember feeling much the same as you... your words sounds so familiar.... and I was not in it for the long haul like you. I didn't have nearly as much time, energy, emotion or product invested. But I understand and so do many others.

Of course, deciding where you go next isn't easy. I hope you find the level of involvement in stamping that satisfies your creativity!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2015, 02:43 PM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

I have never, never, never thought of giving up this hobby, even after starting in the mid 90's. I have always been a crafter and love to experiment with a variety of mediums. I find that making cards affords me that opportunity. I have never had to have every new thing that came along and have always been very thoughtful about which stamps I buy. Being pragmatic helps there. (I still have only an old Cuttlebug, do not have any electronic cutting machine, use a stamp positioner, have one small drawer of punches and make most of my own background paper.) I can do things in clay, watercolor, metal, paint, ink, chalk, pencils, wax, and on and on. (Stuff I already owned from a life of crafting.) Each technique allows me to explore lots of different things, so I don't get bored or burnt out. I knew at the outset that I didn't want to be a demonstrator, design team member, blogger, or anything that would cause me stress. I work every day in my craft room and couldn't be happier. I do teach techniques to a small group of fellow stampers, but it is all for fun, not profit. I make cards for family and friends for all occasions and don't worry about extra postage on especially decorated or bulky cards. A large store bought gift would cost more to ship! Organization does takes time, but that is almost a hobby for me, too. I love rearranging, purging and storing things. My craft room is heaven. My hubby built most of my storage, so it is not only made to order, it is beautiful. Years before I retired, I worried about what I would do with my time when the day came. My spare time when I worked was to sew clothes for work! I don't really garden, don't play golf, have no children or grandchildren close by and one can only travel so much. However, if the day came that it was no longer fun, I would have no trouble packing it all up and giving it away. But, I really can't see that happening for me. So simply put, I have never wanted to quit and doubt I ever will, but whatever floats your boat, as they say. Love the guidelines for what to keep in you life. Happy to say when we made our recent move after 44 years in one place, I did just that---even getting rid of things I loved and were beautiful, but knew I wouldn't use as much as someone else might. Good luck to all in finding what makes you happy and forgive the lengthy post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2015, 05:34 AM   #51  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Chris O., just wanted to say I identify with some of your post. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2015, 06:53 AM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
and the next time it was Fiesta dishes -
Did someone say "Fiestaware"??? as I sneak another piece into my kitchen....:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2015, 07:37 AM   #53  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity_StamperView Post
Chris O., just wanted to say I identify with some of your post. Good luck.
Aww, thanks, Lela! I have always admired your thoughtful posts overs the years... :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #54  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
ChrisO, you are not alone. I remember feeling much the same as you... your words sounds so familiar.... and I was not in it for the long haul like you. I didn't have nearly as much time, energy, emotion or product invested. But I understand and so do many others.

Of course, deciding where you go next isn't easy. I hope you find the level of involvement in stamping that satisfies your creativity!
Thank you, Nancy. I have to admit it felt somewhat of a relief to actually get those thoughts out there on virtual paper. It's as if I needed to be "freed" to create using all of the mountains of stuff I own and not feel guilty about it! Sounds strange, I realize... :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2015, 09:41 AM   #55  
Glitter Queen

yes, it crosses my mind -every time I get a new Current catalog in the mail. Cute cards, good price, and our ladies' group at church sells nice cards for $1 each. I have so many supplies - I would hate to know how much I have bought for my stamping/scrapping hobby and how much I have given away when I get overwhelmed and purge. I have thought about going to strictly scrapbooking as I am so very behind. But then the guilt steps in of all the hundreds and hundreds of stamps I bought. Well, got that off my chest.
But it does give me a creative outlet, I make lots of cards for shut-ins at church, I use some as gifts, I send a lot of cards. I'd get more of everything done if I would quit buying stuff that then requires me to put stuff away which leads me to organizing again and again. Vicious circle, but truthfully, I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2015, 11:36 AM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smefaithView Post
Did someone say "Fiestaware"??? as I sneak another piece into my kitchen....:cool:
There was a sale and some kind of coupon at Macy's and I got several different colors ~ yes, love opening the cupboards now! They are sturdy and also haven't chipped at all. I wish it hadn't take me so many years to get them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2015, 11:40 AM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisOView Post
Thank you, Nancy. I have to admit it felt somewhat of a relief to actually get those thoughts out there on virtual paper. It's as if I needed to be "freed" to create using all of the mountains of stuff I own and not feel guilty about it! Sounds strange, I realize... :-)
Nothing about it is strange at all! That's exactly what your first post sounded like - sometimes we just have to work things out with words and in writing. I'm sure many of us who have been there are ready and willing to absolve you of any guilt.

We are not stagnant creatures and you have too much energy going to those feelings. You're a different person looking for a new way, and hanging on to something that is no longer satisfying to you is just not healthy or necessary.

You will get to a place where you can be creative and happy - guilt-free!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #58  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: Somewhere between here and there and enjoying the journey!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisOView Post
we all grow and change. Companies do, customers do, and so have I. It doesn't mean I have failed. I just need to decide the level and scope of "packing it all in" so that I can rekindle that creative spark...if it still exists.
Nancy O, admitting you need or want to change doesn't mean you have failed. I agree though, if you've been loyal for a long time it feels like it. Writing your thoughts here and realizing how loyal and really happy you've been with your company is a good thing, and so moving on can be a good thing too. And done without guilt.

I'm hoping you will find that creative spark!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #59  
Glitter Guru

The only thing I want to quit doing is buying new stamp sets! I have probably 500. I love making cards and I'm sure i can still make great cards with all the stamps I already have. The new ones are are looking mighty familiar! Don't I have one that looks like that somewhere in these drawers, shelves, boxes????? I think so! My goal is to make the old ones look as good as the new ones on paper. My hobbies last about a decade and then I end up changing but this one has satisfied my creative desires the most, I do love it. So my goal is to try and go the rest of the year without buying anymore stamps. We'll see how that goes.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2015, 01:48 PM   #60  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 651 Posts

I hear ya on the buying of new stamp sets. I have enough as well. The thing that bugs me is that I really like one stamp in the set and that is no reason to buy it? I am thinking of You've Got This (SU). (I really want that background stamp) Plus this set is very expensive here in Canada (clear is $34.00!)
Also I like the swirl clumps of little flowers in the Birthday Blossom Set as well but don't need the full set......

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
I hear ya on the buying of new stamp sets. I have enough as well. The thing that bugs me is that I really like one stamp in the set and that is no reason to buy it? I am thinking of You've Got This (SU). (I really want that background stamp) Plus this set is very expensive here in Canada (clear is $34.00!)
Also I like the swirl clumps of little flowers in the Birthday Blossom Set as well but don't need the full set......

Shirl
I so know what you mean, as I have the same problem. I just refuse to buy a set of stamps and really only want one. Can't help you with the little flowers in the Birthday Blossom set, but I bet you could get the background looks from You've Got This by using a piece of burlap (it would have to be replace after a few rinsings, but might b worth a ry. Another suggestion might be a plastic grid for stitching or even rubber shelf liner, cut to the proper shape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2015, 07:05 PM   #62  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
I hear ya on the buying of new stamp sets. I have enough as well. The thing that bugs me is that I really like one stamp in the set and that is no reason to buy it? I am thinking of You've Got This (SU). (I really want that background stamp)
I've had some luck looking for single stamps from stamp sets on eBay � you'd be surprised what you can find!

To mimic that background stamp you want, you might try this tutorial � I tried it and it's really beautiful and looks very similar:

Background Basics: Medicine Cabinet Mixed Media- Toothbrush Painting ? Tammy Tutterow Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2015, 12:48 PM   #63  
Mad Swapper

I'm almost there........

I have started working at home and am in what used to be my stamping room all day long. I never look around and itch to stamp. My next step wil be to pack it all into totes and then, if after a year I don't use it, I am going to get rid of everything.

I enjoyed this hobby when my kids were little and a group of us Moms would get together one night a week and stamp. I can't look back at all the money I've spent, only forward. My kids are teenagers now and I am thinking ahead to a smaller place, on Squam Lake, when they are out and on their own. I don't want to be lugging all this stuff with me and trying to find a place to put it.

Since I have stopped stamping I have started crocheting again. A more portable hobby but fraught with the same peril of collecting a stash of yarn instead of stamps.

I actually feel good typing this - like I have a plan finally. I probably should edit my signature line, doncha think?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #64  
Stampin' Fool

Wow, this has been wonderful reading everyones comments, thank you for being so open and sharing with us. I got into stamping 20-30 years ago, so you can guess how much stuff I have! Although, while on a trip a year ago, my kids decided to clean out my garage where I store all my stuff, and yep, LOTS of stuff got tossed by non-crafters, but great cleaners!!! They wanted to surprise me, and they did!!!!

Now that I'm obviously over the shock and loss of things-replaced some necessities, I find I still have tons of stuff, mainly paper and stamps. And, what do I still buy???? paper and stamps!!! I read comments about throwing out certain embellishments, which I have, but if I question whether I'm burned out on certain ones, I'll hold off, because I find I may see a sample card with them used and decide I'll dig them out and have something "new" to use again. Fads seem to come and go, i.e. sequins, glitter, so, I'll use them again.

I love card making, paper crafting, and perhaps one day scrapbooking!!! So, even though I go through doing it a lot, or leaving it alone for awhile, creating it is so much fun! I too worked for a company, left because I was buying to meet goals, and have so many stamps that have never seen ink!!! I think it's okay to make choices that work for you, not out of guilt for or to others...... A hobby is supposed to bring US joy and contentment, what happens when that item leaves me is ok. If the recipient finds enjoyment, great, that was my goal; if they keep it, that's flattering, but won't impact my creativity in the first place, I already set it free so to speak. I think this is why I can't give this hobby up......it's the creating part I enjoy so much, starting with pieces of things, and making something up, coloring or painting something to attach, and voila!! you have a one of a kind message to someone! The artistic sense of accomplishment.........love it!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2015, 03:41 PM   #65  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetostamp3View Post
Wow, this has been wonderful reading everyones comments, thank you for being so open and sharing with us. I got into stamping 20-30 years ago, so you can guess how much stuff I have! Although, while on a trip a year ago, my kids decided to clean out my garage where I store all my stuff, and yep, LOTS of stuff got tossed by non-crafters, but great cleaners!!! They wanted to surprise me, and they did!!!!

Now that I'm obviously over the shock and loss of things-replaced some necessities, I find I still have tons of stuff, mainly paper and stamps. And, what do I still buy???? paper and stamps!!! I read comments about throwing out certain embellishments, which I have, but if I question whether I'm burned out on certain ones, I'll hold off, because I find I may see a sample card with them used and decide I'll dig them out and have something "new" to use again. Fads seem to come and go, i.e. sequins, glitter, so, I'll use them again.

I love card making, paper crafting, and perhaps one day scrapbooking!!! So, even though I go through doing it a lot, or leaving it alone for awhile, creating it is so much fun! I too worked for a company, left because I was buying to meet goals, and have so many stamps that have never seen ink!!! I think it's okay to make choices that work for you, not out of guilt for or to others...... A hobby is supposed to bring US joy and contentment, what happens when that item leaves me is ok. If the recipient finds enjoyment, great, that was my goal; if they keep it, that's flattering, but won't impact my creativity in the first place, I already set it free so to speak. I think this is why I can't give this hobby up......it's the creating part I enjoy so much, starting with pieces of things, and making something up, coloring or painting something to attach, and voila!! you have a one of a kind message to someone! The artistic sense of accomplishment.........love it!!!!
I "liked" your post, but just had to write and tell you how much I agree with you. You said it far better than I could and I may just use your words in the future. We are "Stamping Sisters" even though we have never met.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2015, 07:17 PM   #66  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking No Way

I have been stamping and making cards since 2006. I started out using a table in my bedroom. Later on, my husband (a professional artist) said that I could have half of his studio that was in the 3rd bedroom. That lasted about a couple of years and then I was diagnosed with an incurable cancer in 2011. After having 2 stem cell transplants that year, I really got more involved in my art and crafting. I learned about Zentangle� in 2012 and in 2013, I became a Certified Zentangle Teacher. My husband moved out of the studio a couple of years ago. He now uses the large Florida room. I purchased a LARGE folding wall unit for craft storage from a friend who was moving and giving up her scrapbooking and supplies. She gave he tons of things! I have all kinds of shelves, cabinets, desks and tables, etc. I have enough stuff to open my own store! However, I really don't want to get rid of my things. My husband is my #1 fan and he encourages me to keep going! I sell a lot of my cards and Zentangle products to "help" pay for my supplies. I am not much into buying stamp sets. I do a lot of digital (I am on a design team) so between my actual stamps and digi images, I probably have every image that I will ever need! Sometimes, I will go to a local flea market where they have a Stamp Camp every month. I will try to sell things that I absolutely no not want. My husband will not let me feel guilty about how much I have. He knows to give it to my stamping/crafting friends from my stamping club when I am gone. I can spend the entire day in my studio and not feel at all guilty! Since I am no longer able to work a "real" job, I consider this my job. It is what I do and what I love! I can even forget about cancer for a while!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2015, 01:14 AM   #67  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
I "liked" your post, but just had to write and tell you how much I agree with you. You said it far better than I could and I may just use your words in the future. We are "Stamping Sisters" even though we have never met.
Oh thank you very much, I appreciate your kind words. SCS sure has a number of fellow stampers-I'm going to guess women-who have shared some profound comments that struck a chord with me as well. I find I'm such a frustrated artist inside, using other's artwork to express myself. Thank God for the artists who have created all these stamps I have been using over the years. One day I would love to take my markers or paints and create my own image for my card. I'm a want-to-be Monet inside, but sadly I have a feeling that part of me will never see the light of day!!! No matter how much I visit Pinterest watercolor sites, look at watercolor books, visit tutorials, take classes, play at it, one must have DRAWING talent, and that I lack! However, I do love to color with my different mediums, so I will continue to dream and play..........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #68  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 298 Likes on 115 Posts

Barb - what an amazing, upbeat spirit you have! I'm so glad that you shared with us the joy that the ability to create gives you! You're an inspiration, and I thank you for taking the time to share with us. Much love and light to you!

Reply With Quote Likes