Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-04-2006, 07:07 PM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Explain it to me, Enlighten me....please!

This will "prolly" be a slight bit snarky but, I just have to know..... If you are going to blatenly CASE a card down to every detail.....WHY does ones feel the need to upload the card into the gallery????
And to top it off, not give credit to the original poster just reference that they did CASE it???
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 07:13 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Default Well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by onestampinmama
This will "prolly" be a slight bit snarky but, I just have to know..... If you are going to blatenly CASE a card down to every detail.....WHY does ones feel the need to upload the card into the gallery????
And to top it off, not give credit to the original poster just reference that they did CASE it???
I don't have a gallery yet, but when I finally get around to it I hope it will be a record of the things I have created with my own hand, if not necessarily my original idea. Also, I may have seen something in the past, but not know to whom the credit goes. Heck, I'm convinced there are no original thoughts, anyway - but that's a whole different philosophical discussion!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 07:17 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Possibilites:

1-Both cards were CASED from the same source.

2-The person does not remember seeing it, but if like me, and have a bit of a photographic memory can months later make a card and not be sure if they saw it or originated it.

3-Maybe they cannot remember who to give credit too.

4-Maybe their demo cased it from here and taught it at stamp camp and then they posted it here not knowing.

5-Maybe they cased it from Susie, who cased it from Betty, who cased it from Angela. Maybe Susie didn't tell them and Susie doesn't care if they case her things.

6-BTW, anyone can copy anything of mine to the detail and never need to give "Annabelle" the credit because "Annabelle" isn't even my real name.

7-Being cased, to me, is a compliment pure and simple. You only bother to case something you love.

8-Coincidence? Yep, I have seen it happen. Many of us use SU stamps so the chances are higher. I have been in one room at stamp camp and not seen a card being made and using the same materials I have come up with something very, very close.

9-Not a hill to die on. With all the things to worry about in life that are truly serious, a compliment of a case should never raise your blood pressure in the least.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 07:17 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

PS-What is snarkie?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 07:20 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
Possibilites:

2-The person does not remember seeing it, but if like me, and have a bit of a photographic memory can months later make a card and not be sure if they saw it or originated it.

4-Maybe their demo cased it from here and taught it at stamp camp and then they posted it here not knowing.

5-Maybe they cased it from Susie, who cased it from Betty, who cased it from Angela. Maybe Susie didn't tell them and Susie doesn't care if they case her things.

6-BTW, anyone can copy anything of mine to the detail and never need to give "Annabelle" the credit because "Annabelle" isn't even my real name.

7-Being cased, to me, is a compliment pure and simple. You only bother to case something you love.

8-Coincidence? Yep, I have seen it happen. Many of us use SU stamps so the chances are higher. I have been in one room at stamp camp and not seen a card being made and using the same materials I have come up with something very, very close.

9-Not a hill to die on. With all the things to worry about in life that are truly serious, a compliment of a case should never raise your blood pressure in the least.
You said this well thank you. I don't think anyone wants to intentionally hurt anyones feelings by not giving credit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 07:25 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Possibilites:

I absolutly agree with all you have said, especially #9 (#4 has happened to me too) but why would you still upload it into the gallery?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 07:26 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

I personally encourage folks to upload CASEd cards. I also think it's pretty good of folks to mention in their description of the card that it's a CASE, without giving a full genealogy of the card's design origins if they don't happen to have those details memorised.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

PS-What is snarkie?
A colloquialism meaning short-tempered or "snappish"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 07:39 PM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh my, I hope I never do that! For one thing, I usually can't CASE something identically even if I try... something always comes out different! If it's absolutely identical, why post it?

For another, I would hate to be CASED exactly, or should we call it CLONED, to not be at least mentioned, so I wouldn't want to do it to someone else!

I know it often takes more time to track down where and from whom you CASED something, but I agree, it is a stamping etiquette issue that really shows respect for the original designer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 07:45 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

I rarely CASE, but when I do, I don't upload it here as the original already exists here and I personally don't see any point in there being 2 of the exact same thing. This should not be interepreted as what I believe anyone else should do, but merely my own stand-point on the issue.

Stamping etiquette on CASEing indicates that, out of courtesy and respect to our fellow stampers, we credit the original artist the idea was copied from. In the event the original artist is not known, then to indicate that.

It's also important to note that some people do not consider having their designs copied/CASEd a form of flattery or compliment. This is not "wrong"; it is merely a difference of opinion on the subject.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 07:47 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Actually, this thread begs a definition of CASE. If you use the same stamps, colors, layout but a different ribbon is that still casing? If you use all the same materials but put the main image on the opposite side than the original is that still casing. To tell the truth I think it might be really hard to do an exact or almost exact replica unless you make it sitting next to the person using the same materials they used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 07:52 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

IMO, a CASE is an exact or near exact duplicate of the original, in color scheme, layout, similar images, etc.

But, others may have a different definition of what a CASE is . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 07:54 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

[quote=JulieHRR] ...... I don't upload it here as the original already exists here and I personally don't see any point in there being 2 of the exact same thing.
Thank you, my point exactly.

My definition of a CASE is - same or similar color, same layout, same stamp sets, same concept/idea, same accesorries.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

He he Julie, we must have been typing at the same time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 08:13 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I also haven't started a gallery yet because I am new to stamping cards and practically everything I do is cased or part of a design copied from cards that I make at SU workshops and camps. I am one of these people that have no creativity, but I adore looking at all the gorgeous cards everyone makes and hope to try to duplicate some of them! I think some people want to keep a gallery of the cards they make just for the sake of having a picture album of their work, whether it be orginal or cased. It helps me remember the cards I made so that if I want to do a particular design again, I'll have a picture of it. I know I've given away a few of the cards I made at camps and workshops without taking a picture of them, and now I can't even remember what they looked like. It's just me though - not a creative cell in my brain!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 08:29 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
A colloquialism meaning short-tempered or "snappish"
A couple of days ago my DH called me snurly. I asked what that was and he said a cross between surly and snarky.

My gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 09:58 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

I agree that it is always thoughtful to give someone credit when you CASE their card...the one good thing about folks posting them is that there are so many cards uploaded each day, its likely many of us missed the first version. And if someone CASED it, it probably was pretty darn good and worth seeing!!

I'm always amazed each Sunday at how many cards I missed seeing the previous week even though I go into the gallery each day and look at pages of cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 02:04 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

I put all of my creations in my gallery, not for anyone else, but for myself to have the record of all I have made in one nice organized place! If I do case (ore get inspired) by someone's card, I always try to give the most accurate credit possible, but slipups may happen to people sometime. Anyway, my gallery is really for me and my friends. (I use the uploads to send e-cards of my cards too for example).

Leslie J
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 02:13 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

I don't have a gallery yet(problems with my computer). But this kinda makes me scared that people will be mad at me. I try to save all the ones I like to my favs, so that I may give credit. But what if I make a mistake. And I kinda thought that my gallery was for me too. IF noone else looks at my cards in my gallery(when I have one LOL), it wouldn't kill me. Just my opinion
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 05:31 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Wendykins, this is exactly why I was so afraid to start posting cards here. I have seen a couple of people worked over good and I have a friend who will no longer upload as it brought her to tears to make an honest mistake and have a never ending thread about what a horrible, dishonest person she was. Actually, she did NOT case the card from SCS. Her demo cased it, never said a word, and used it as a project for a monthly SU club. I have decided to take a chance and join in the uploading fun. If the SCS police come after me, I will just outrun them LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 05:33 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by baabteach
I put all of my creations in my gallery, not for anyone else, but for myself to have the record of all I have made in one nice organized place! If I do case (ore get inspired) by someone's card, I always try to give the most accurate credit possible, but slipups may happen to people sometime. Anyway, my gallery is really for me and my friends. (I use the uploads to send e-cards of my cards too for example).
This is how I am too, I put my cards in my gallery for me..so that if I want to make them again I have the info on them, that is why I put so much info on all my cards, so that I can rememeber how I did it..lol. That being said, I try my best to say if it was cased, or even where I got the inspiration for a card. Very rarely do I case directly, but sometimes a card is *THAT* good that I wouldn't change anything on the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 05:43 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendykins
I don't have a gallery yet(problems with my computer). But this kinda makes me scared that people will be mad at me. I try to save all the ones I like to my favs, so that I may give credit. But what if I make a mistake. And I kinda thought that my gallery was for me too. IF noone else looks at my cards in my gallery(when I have one LOL), it wouldn't kill me. Just my opinion
And this is what I hate. I hate to hear that anyone is scared to post something they made for fear some gallery nazi will come through and tell everyone you CASEd it without giving proper credit.

Some people just need to get over themselves.

That's just MHO. I'm quite sure it won't be the popular one.

Post on baby!!
My nonstamping, weight-loss blog sort of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 05:45 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This CASE thing has been a problem for many newbies! Me included!

I made a couple of cards after looking through the gallery! It does not come with instructions that say "If you CASE make sure to give the original Designer credit"!

It was after a couple of months before I found this out. Sometimes you really can't remember! I was so afraid to upload for fear of being SNARKED for not doing something right.

Then I read all the nice and kind things that the SCS folks say about CASE-ing and that they consider it a compliment. Now I will try to not upload anything CASED so as not offend anyone.

Just love looking through all your galleries and drooling!

Karen

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 05:57 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorse
This CASE thing has been a problem for many newbies! Me included!

I made a couple of cards after looking through the gallery! It does not come with instructions that say "If you CASE make sure to give the original Designer credit"!

It was after a couple of months before I found this out. Sometimes you really can't remember! I was so afraid to upload for fear of being SNARKED for not doing something right.

Then I read all the nice and kind things that the SCS folks say about CASE-ing and that they consider it a compliment. Now I will try to not upload anything CASED so as not offend anyone.

Just love looking through all your galleries and drooling!

Karen
It is sad anyone has to feel this way about wanting to upload what they made, CASEd or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 06:03 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicksmom917
And this is what I hate. I hate to hear that anyone is scared to post something they made for fear some gallery nazi will come through and tell everyone you CASEd it without giving proper credit.

Post on baby!!
I couldn't agree more! This is supposed to be a site that encourages people to share. If you don't want it case'd - don't post it. One of the things I love most about this website is that it truly is one of the only rubber stamping places (that I've found) where people are supportive and where artistic ideas really flow. I love that. I hate that someone is afraid to post their lovely artistic creations because they are afraid of the repurcussions. I think for the most part, the people on this community are supportive and genuinely nice, but that we don't hear about all the people that are happy when people case them or that really don't care one way or the other.

You know, I just don't see the big deal about whether people upload their case'd cards or not. I personally do not upload cards I case exactly because I know that each card takes up a certain about of web space. However, if someone wants to upload ALL their cards, I don't see anything wrong with that, unless the website owners start having problems with space, in which case we'll all have to be more concientious about that. Until that time comes, I don't see the harm in people posting what they want.

Sorry to be so lengthy and probably a bit snarkie (sorry about that), I just hate to hear that some people are afraid to start a gallery on here. It's intimidating enough to start a gallery where everyone on cyberspace can see your work - let's not compound the problem by adding "bad press" and repurcussions.

With good intentions,
Christine

Logging in each and every day to be inspired by SCS'ers everywhere!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 06:06 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Now I will try to not upload anything CASED so as not offend anyone.
Quote:

Originally Posted by digby
It is sad anyone has to feel this way about wanting to upload what they made, CASEd or not.
Exactly! It's a sad, sad thing when the creative expression of someone's soul is blocked by fear.

Logging in each and every day to be inspired by SCS'ers everywhere!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 06:09 AM   #27  
Glitter Guru

I also just post everything that I do just so that I have some record of it somewhere. I do, however, try not to CASE a card that I like. I'll change colors or even layout, add or remove embellishments, etc. Granted, I am pretty new at this, and I don't have anywhere near the amount of supplies to really truly be able to CASE/copy exactly...then again, I always have been one to like to do my own thing.
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 06:35 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicksmom917

Post on baby!!

Thanks, Jenna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 06:53 AM   #29  
Forum Fanatic

Sometimes, I read that a card has been CASED, but I missed the original. So that makes me glad that a poster posted the CASE; otherwise, I would have missed the design totally!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 07:48 AM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Ok, I really didn't mean the original thread to take this route....

First of all - I encourage CASEing, it helps to get your creative juices flowing, One idea always leads to another, and another etc.

But if you are going to copy something exact, what is the point to posting it again to having a second in the gallery???

Second - To post a CASE'd card in your gallery for the point of "having a record of it" I think is a lame excuse. You've either had to take a digital picture of it or have scanned it to upload into your gallery, so why not just keep them in a file on your own personal computer for your reference. If it is a matter of your computer not having enough memory/space, buy some. I don't view SCS as my personal card storage space.

The original point to me asking this question was merely to figure out why if you are casing something "to the tea" why would you want to post it????

This was not to hurt anyone's feelings, make them not want to post a card, or make anyone feel that the "card casing police" will be stalking them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 07:54 AM   #31  
Watercolor Wizard

I case all the times. If I know the person off hand, I give credit, otherwise, I just say cased. I do this b/c
1) my gallery is just that - MY gallery. It's what I've done. I share it with family and fellow stampers, and to be really honest - THEY DON'T CARE if it's an original katrs5 or a case from the SU cattie or a case from SCS. All they care about it "Woohoo, look what she made"
2) In the past, I'd never give away the cards I made unless I made 2. 1 to keep and 1 to give away. I wanted a "record" of what I'd made so I could case myself in the future on nice cards. Uploading eliminates the need for me to do this and since I've started uploading I've been able to give my cards away easily without the extra work of making and storing a duplicate
3) I figure that I only gallery surf a few times a week. I'm sure others are out there like that as well. Since that's the case, my case might be the first time they see an awesome layout.
4) case is such a tempermental term. I see the same layouts here in magazines. I see the same color schemes all over. I see the same use of accessories everywhere. My point is - somethimes a card could be cased from multiple artists. Sorry, but I can't remember who's card introduced me to a certain layout and who was the first to use a color scheme.
5) I actually think (hold the flames) that if you post your card here, your inviting casing. If you are submitting a card to a publication (or whatever), don't post. If your feelings will get hurt if you see your exact card in the gallery without being given credit, don't post. There are projects that are "my own" and if I'm planning to submit them, I don't post them, b/c I want a shot at being published myself
6) when I signed up as a demo, my concern was originality. My upline told me "its just all RAD - rob and duplicate! You can do this. You don't have to be original" She encouraged me to case any cards I got in swaps, the cattie, etc... This was to help me to make a successful business without being intimidated by the need to "create" original works of art.

Sorry if I'm the snarky, maybe even snarly one today. It just bugs me that new folks are afraid to post, old folks are starting nasty "i didn't get credit" threads, etc..

B~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 07:56 AM   #32  
Silky Smooth

I agree that should people CASE something, they should try to give credit. I think annabelle1974 summed it up nicely as to reasons why credit may not be given. I myself have CASEd a couple of cards (and gave credit), but they had my own twist and I wanted to keep it in my gallery for future reference.

One of the first cards I CASEd was by Jen70, and she was the first person to comment on it! I thought that was really cool!

Peachie Keen Cards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 08:00 AM   #33  
Silky Smooth

Quote:

First of all - I encourage CASEing, it helps to get your creative juices flowing, One idea always leads to another, and another etc.

But if you are going to copy something exact, what is the point to posting it again to having a second in the gallery???

Second - To post a CASE'd card in your gallery for the point of "having a record of it" I think is a lame excuse. You've either had to take a digital picture of it or have scanned it to upload into your gallery, so why not just keep them in a file on your own personal computer for your reference. If it is a matter of your computer not having enough memory/space, buy some. I don't view SCS as my personal card storage space.

The original point to me asking this question was merely to figure out why if you are casing something "to the tea" why would you want to post it????

This was not to hurt anyone's feelings, make them not want to post a card, or make anyone feel that the "card casing police" will be stalking them.

Apparently, I was typing my reply when you posted this last reply. I agree, it is odd for people to post an exact duplicate, but I think annabelle1974 came up with some good reasons.

We did get a little sidetracked, didn't we. ;) I hope you get your question answered.

Peachie Keen Cards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 08:21 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Back to your original question;)
I have CASE'd a few cards and given credit. These cards have been the "type" of CASEing you are talking about where it is basically someone elses idea but I changed a color or added a little something to it but still since it was pretty close to the original I give credit to the original creator. I have 1 card that I totally copied, 100%, color and paper and ribbon and everything. It was so pretty that I wanted to make one just like it for my sister. I didn't put it on SCS because there is already one exactly like it. That's just me but I think that if it is 100% identical then there is no point in putting it in the gallery since the gallery is for ideas and the same idea has already been added...
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 08:25 AM   #35  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

SEVERAL folks have posted the perfectly valid response that we LOVE to have as many opportunities as possible to see specific card designs and colour schemes. I've seen cards made by JulieHRR that I otherwise would never have seen, because someone CASEd them, even exactly in some cases. I CASEd a card design original by GarnetJ that apparently 900 folks might not have seen or known they liked so much if I hadn't CASEd it and posted it in my gallery.

Quote:

Second - To post a CASE'd card in your gallery for the point of "having a record of it" I think is a lame excuse.
This is how YOU personally feel about YOUR gallery. I think it is pretty lame to say something like what you said above, myself. I personally don't give a rat's butt if all of the items in my gallery meet YOUR standards for originality, and I'm certainly not going to check with anyone to see if it's OK for me to post them. You asked why folks want to upload CASEd cards, you got several answers, and I personally don't think any more answers will come your way that you won't dismiss as 'lame'. Whatever your original intentions were, your comments have made several people uncomfortable with uploading cards, and reinforced other folks' decisions to not upload. That makes me angry, and I had to speak up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 08:25 AM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

I agree that if you post, don't get upset if someone cases you with or without credit.....

As for the original question.... "why post a card you've re-created exactly"?
I am understanding that it is more about wanting to store something long term and you are using SCS to do that..... I get it now.

Please forgive me for being snarky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 10:54 AM   #37  
Gallery Gazer

I personally don't post a card I have copied "EXACTLY" because I feel that everyone has seen it already. If I have changed things up a little from a card I liked, I post it and give credit to my inspiration. I usually have these cards saved to favorites, so it is no effort to credit the original artist.
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 11:18 AM   #38  
Crimping Master

I totally agree with Mahloumel above. I personally don't post cased cards, I don't think. But I also have 2 shoeboxes full of cards because I am afraid I will forget how I made it if I send it to someone.

I believe a lot of people send their friends and families to their gallery so they can look at the cards they have made and are proud of. They don't want to say, "hey, I made this card that I really like, but look in such-and-such's gallery to see it, because I can't post it in my own gallery." So they put it in their own gallery. Yes, they should give credit if they can. There are no rules, as far as I know, of what can and cannot be uploaded into one's own gallery. So if you don't want to see a cased card, just don't look. But I have seen plenty of cased cards that I didn't know were cased because I didn't see the original. I, personally, thank all those who case for giving me a second(or third) chance to see the card. JMHO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

"why post a card you've re-created exactly"? Usually when you CASE something it is because you really love it so you recreate it sometimes exactly sometimes not so much. I don't have much in my gallery but I guess my reasons for uploading an exact CASE'd card would be that a few weeks, months or whatever I will definately know where to find it KWIM? The original card may have been deleted or maybe the person GASP left SCS and don't have a gallery anymore. Also if I wanted friends or family to see it then I know right where to send them rather than trying to figure out what was so and so's name who created it or trying to weed through gallery pages or personal favorites. Let's face it the following card was created without any help from anyone, except maybe color combo, but who is there to say that somewhere out there someone else made a similar card who's card would it be?

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 11:54 AM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Possibilites:

LOL, great comments! I agree, it's a compliment (although my cards aren't in demand:rolleyes: ). There is one artist here who I CASE fairly often - love her style, but I don't upload them to my gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes