Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EZ Mount with a Staz On label?

Now that SU is going unmounted, I want to unmount all my stamps! I've looked at EZ Mount, Aleene's Tack it Over, and Tack N' Peel, and I think EZ Mount is the choice for me. The one problem is that I want an image of the stamp to be on the clingy side, so I can see it through the block. (This is the way SU stamps are going to be.) I think I remember someone saying that they stamped the image on the clingy side of the EZ Mount in Staz On before they adhered the EZ Mount to the rubber. I would love to hear more about this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've heard that too, and I think it's a great idea. I think you just spend the time to apply your label very carefully so it's lined up with the stamp image. It may be tough to get it 100% perfect, but you can get it very, very close.

I have unmounted SU stamps before where I peel the label off the wood block and stick it to the back of the stamp, so it's the same idea. Just take your time and it's not too bad. I wait to trim the label until it's all stuck to the stamp. Works out great!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I started out unmounting using EZMount then switched to the method Betsy mentioned. I wish I hadn't wasted the money on the EZMount.
BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

One of the Whiff of Joy design team members (Bev) did a tutorial on the Whiff of Joy blog showing how to do this:
http://whiffofjoy.blogspot.com/2009/...stamps-by
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I've heard that too, and I think it's a great idea. I think you just spend the time to apply your label very carefully so it's lined up with the stamp image. It may be tough to get it 100% perfect, but you can get it very, very close.

I have unmounted SU stamps before where I peel the label off the wood block and stick it to the back of the stamp, so it's the same idea. Just take your time and it's not too bad. I wait to trim the label until it's all stuck to the stamp. Works out great!
So how do you get your label to cling to the block?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiEView Post
One of the Whiff of Joy design team members (Bev) did a tutorial on the Whiff of Joy blog showing how to do this:
http://whiffofjoy.blogspot.com/2009/...stamps-by.html
Ooooh, just what I was looking for! Thanks, Niki!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmpenguinView Post
Well, I use Tack N Peel on my blocks. This gives me one side that's sticky for non-EZ Mount and bare rubber stamps, and plain for clear and EZ mount stamps. For you, though, stamping on your EZ Mount before applying it to the back of your stamp will not affect the cling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

At an artist's rubber stamp show I went to last January they don't use anything but rubber right onto the acrylic block adhered with just a little double stick tape. The trick is to stamp on a piece of craft fun foam. I have an 8 x 10 piece of foam and bought a ton of unmounted raw rubber and I absolutely love this way of doing it. I have one block for the double stick tape stamps and one for the clear stamps. So far it is really easy and if I need to clean the block, goo-gone does the job.

I have not unmounted any SU but I think the label to the back of the stamp is a great idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2009, 02:30 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post
At an artist's rubber stamp show I went to last January they don't use anything but rubber right onto the acrylic block adhered with just a little double stick tape. The trick is to stamp on a piece of craft fun foam. I have an 8 x 10 piece of foam and bought a ton of unmounted raw rubber and I absolutely love this way of doing it. I have one block for the double stick tape stamps and one for the clear stamps. So far it is really easy and if I need to clean the block, goo-gone does the job.

I have not unmounted any SU but I think the label to the back of the stamp is a great idea.
It is really great to be able to use stamps right away, lol, and not wait for any other product. Years and years ago I started buying plain rubber stamps, no foam or nothin', because the savings were over 50%! I didn't want to lose ground on any of that savings by then purchasing cling vinyl, hook n loop tape or any other add-on just to be able to use the stamp. I laugh when I look at my first set of blocks...SOLID GLASS! Talk about heavy, lol! But a bit of Scotch double sided tape or later poster tape, and that's all that I needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I add another step. after the stazon is dry, I put the indexed and roughly trimmed EZMount on an acrylic block that has double stick tape or tacknpeel (i like tack n peel better, but either works). I use the grid lines on the block (most of them have at least two lines) to place a distinctive part of the stamp in the center of the block. I peel off the paper covering the sticky stuff and carefully place the stamp on the gridlines aligning the same place in the middle. sometimes it is a letter in a word or the nose of a creature or a particular part of a flower. Just something so that the index and the stamp are well aligned. hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I brush a thin layer of mono-multi onto the label then allow it to dry. It will now stick to anything and peel right back off. Most people use tack it over and over but I didn't have any and the mono-multi works just as well.
BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger53186View Post
I add another step. after the stazon is dry, I put the indexed and roughly trimmed EZMount on an acrylic block that has double stick tape or tacknpeel (i like tack n peel better, but either works). I use the grid lines on the block (most of them have at least two lines) to place a distinctive part of the stamp in the center of the block. I peel off the paper covering the sticky stuff and carefully place the stamp on the gridlines aligning the same place in the middle. sometimes it is a letter in a word or the nose of a creature or a particular part of a flower. Just something so that the index and the stamp are well aligned. hope this helps!
yes, great tip!!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Quote:

Now that SU is going unmounted, I want to unmount all my stamps! I've looked at EZ Mount, Aleene's Tack it Over, and Tack N' Peel, and I think EZ Mount is the choice for me. The one problem is that I want an image of the stamp to be on the clingy side, so I can see it through the block. (This is the way SU stamps are going to be.) I think I remember someone saying that they stamped the image on the clingy side of the EZ Mount in Staz On before they adhered the EZ Mount to the rubber. I would love to hear more about this!

The one thing to remember is to let the Staz-On dry before mounting the stamp to the rubber. Otherwise you will get a smudged image.

I've done this with my unmounted Rubber Stamps from The Angel Company.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2009, 02:43 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up re:mounting

:mad:I can't afford the cling mount right now. I tried Aileens Tack it over & 3 M double sided tape. The tape won over .I probably stamped over 6o images & the tape stuck on the block. The tape later came off on the block fine.
Tack it Over is really sticky.U get it on Ur hands & it's really HARD to get it off.:mad:It takes over 20 hours for it to dry.:( Then U have to have a place to store them to put the side w/the clingy side on. I haven't stamped those pieces yet to see how well they stay on a block.
Tack & Peel is supposed to be cheaper.Plus some people aren't using padding. I stamp on a padded card table w/ no problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2009, 03:24 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just use double stick tape on the acrylic block and the bare rubber. I also use a stamping pad under my paper to stamp on.

If I'm going unmounted, why would I then want to purchase the EZ-mount or the tack over and over stuff? Such a waste of money and effort, in my opinion.

When the double stick tape is not sticky, just replace it. I use the double stick tape by Scotch or who ever. I save my Scor-Tape for use on my projects to adhere them.

This system works for me!

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 06:56 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like my rubber images better on EZ-mount. I tried using the cheaper thin mounting foam and did not like it. I think EZ-mount gives a more even crisp print.
One of the biggest reason to unmount for me was space. Next is the ease of flipping though all my sets. I now can see what I have and I'm more inclined to use them. I tried to stamp with Stazon but I thought it was very difficult to line up those already precut. I opted for stamping on a piece of paper inserted into the case. I used CD cases and a color coding system.
Also, before I unmounted I checked out ebay and compared to 3 years ago, IMHO, resale is way down. With that in mind, I did not unmount sets I was not 100% sure I wanted to keep.
It may have taken more time to accomplish this way, but it worked and works for me. In the end spending an additional $100 was a good investment.

Last edited by mopsandt; 11-29-2009 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes