Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,400 Likes on 526 Posts
Default It feels GREAT not to hoard!

I hoarded for the first 4 or 5 years of scrapbooking/stamping, then realized it was silly not to use what I had bought. So I began using it more freely, but still couldn't bring myself to use the stuff for anything other than cards and scrapbook pages, and only on those cards where I knew the people appreciated what I had done. Well, last night, as I was wrapping teacher gifts, I thought, "How cute would those felt snowflake flurries (from SU) look on top of these gifts!" then quickly followed with, "But it's all just going to get thrown away." Then I looked at the 2 bags I had of them and thought, "I'm using them anyways! I have a hundred of them! Who cares? The gift looks great with them!" So I *gasp* used them as part of the packaging. And you know what? Not only did the teachers ooh and aah over the packaging, but it felt wonderful using what I had!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 01:17 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a coincidence as I came to this same conclusion. I had hoarded paper and couldn't bring myself to use it until recently when I thought this is cazy! There is so much beautiful paper coming out every year and so now I have started using it much more freely and that is making room for me to buy more Some 'especial' papers I have made into collages for myself!! That way they are being used but stay with me. Yes totally nuts but what the heck!
Congrats on your gift wrapping being appreciated!

Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

2008 was the year two lighbulbs went off - first, if I actually USE the gorgeous paper I was hording I could justify buying more, and two - I could use my most precious paper by re-covering the organizing boxes I keep out on my stamp table - making my table look coordinated and beautiful at the same time.

So pretty much the same thing you two just said. :-)
Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm not a super-hoarder but I've got some papers etc that I only liked to look at and not use. I finally got over that when I started to look at it as "I think you are worth it to me for me to use my best things." I get such pleasure now using the special stuff .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 01:37 PM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

I used to hoard when I first started paper crafting a few years ago. Then I realized (as those above have mentioned):

If I use the beautiful stuff, I can buy more. There are new products coming out every day. They'll always be more gorgeousness to purchase!

I feel good when I create something wonderful using those beautiful products. Who cares if the recipient doesn't treasure it? I DO.

Use your good stuff, ladies. There's always more where that came from!

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I've got a scrapbook store-style paper rack, and it has at least 1500 pieces of new-ish 12x12 papers... I, like many of you said, had a light bulb go off this year as i looked at the papers on the bottom, that were a year or two old, and i thought, they are a little out-of-style, and i don't love them like i used to. so my lesson is learned: use now while i LOVE it, and enjoy it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Lol! I hoard things! I hate using my embellies (unless I have an endless supply) on cards since they are not looked at as often as my scrapbooks are. I just tend to not use alot of my stuff if it's not scrapbooking related. Not sure I'll ever get over that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

<------------- yup! used to hoard!

not anymore!

like everyone else has said... there will always be more stuff around the corner.

i also think that some of the hoarding was from the 'start up' mode, when i didn't have very much stuff to work with. now that i have been stamping for several years i have a decent assortment of supplies.

does that make any sense to anyone other than me?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I know what you mean about 'start up mode'. I have been stamping for for a number of years also and the stuff really multiplies (my dh says it breeds ). I am going to try to not buy anything new for the first few months of the new year and try to use up some of what I have. I know I have things that I have forgotten about...

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

hoarder here, or maybe recovering hoarder is a better term. I too seemed to have the light bulb moment that if I use up what I have, I can buy more!! Woohoo!! Still have a little problem but mostly cuz I don't make enough time to use the stuff! Working on that too though! Too many fun things out there so I reward myself by using it up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Not only am I not hoarding anymore, I've de-cluttered and sold/traded away some of the sets that I was hanging onto (ex: Godspeed), "in case I may need them"....haven't 'needed' them so far, so someone else is loving them instead...

I know I'm not done yet--but my office looks a lot better now!!!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

hoarding? me? never? (okay okay, i confess...i'm guilty!)

i hoard my papers the worst. i always wonder "if i use this now, will i find something better to use it on later?" crazy? yes! i'm doing my best to use it all up. BF says my cards end up costing well over $10 a piece with all the stuff I buy (for the small amount of cards i make----probably 100 total a year).
2009 goal....use up my paper so i can buy more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 07:13 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amen! I finally had that lightbulb moment where I realized that the best way I could admire the pretty papers was to use them in my scrapbooks. Once I realized that, I broke out of my 4 year (yes, YEARS) slump of not scrapbooking and have been having a blast finally using up my stuff. Now, I can look at all those lovely Junkitz, IOD, MME, and Basic Grey Christmas lines any time I open my albums. Whooo hooooo!

It's true: it IS liberating!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

I can relate. I was going through some of my pattern paper and found some christmas paper from a pack -that at the time 4 years ago, I loved but have never used. now my tastes have changed. so I am using it to wrap presents.

sometimes I try and change myself to use the 'ugly paper' to make cards or because one side of the paper is white I will just put that side up or for a layer when matting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #15  

Default hoarder or pack rat

I used to buy anything on clearance because I didn't have a lot of money to work with. Then I got a really really good job with disposible income.lol Then bought a lot of cm stuff cause I just loved it. But alas with good job comes no time to use up what I purchased. But with that now I buy just exactly what I will use or love-stamp wise. But paper wise I have a resolution not to buy until I have used up the majority of what I have now. (but did have to buy kraft colored paper cause I ran out) that doesn't count right?lol
It gets easier to use when you want buy new stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 05:15 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I hope I reach that level soon. LOL I'm a hoarder and have a hard time putting my cute things on cards/gifts for people that I'm not sure will keep it. I'm working on that though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 05:45 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

My name is Michelle...and I'm a hoarder. I've been hoarding now for about 9 years. This year I too made progress. I used hodgepodge hardware on something I was making to give away as a gift. I USE the paper I buy now, knowing that there is ALWAYS something cuter around the corner. I'm getting better....it's an illness of sorts, I do believe. Dr. Phil? Dr. Phil? Please tell me I'm normal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 06:29 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: Somewhere between here and there and enjoying the journey!

I am beginning to feel that using my supplies with abandon is so much part of the fun of creating! I want my projects to please others, but I get the enjoyment of using up what I have and the feeling of giving/using is freeing. It adds zest to the process!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 06:59 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I had the lightbulb too. My was a little different. I was working on a swap project and was using a certain embellishment - I had just enough. When it was done I felt liberated to have used up all of them. I thought I would be a little sad, but not so. This followed the realization that done is better than perfect realization and the first idea is good enough (scrapbook layouts) realization. The point of buying the stuff is for you or someone to enjoy it and it is certainly more enjoyable when it's on a project than in a drawer. Right now I'm testing to see how long I can go without buying anything. Of course, it's easier for me since I have no scrapbooking or stamping stores anywhere near me, not even a general hobby and craft store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 07:00 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

LOL!! And I thought I was the only one who was a hoarder. After reading this thread I think I'll work on amending my hoarding ways and start using my good stuff more often.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 07:14 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

The first step is acknowledge you have a problem, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Another hoarder here! Last night I made a card, and I wanted a certain fiber to complete it. I have a box of those "Adornaments" (7 different fibers in each box, and each fiber is about 3 yards). I couldn't bring myself to use the one that would perfectly suit the card because it was my favorite one and I was afraid I'd run out of it and not be able to find it again! How sad is that!!? So I settled for second best. I need to take the advice that some of you gave here and just use what I have!!! (I have this problem with a lot of my stuff. That's why I tend to by duplicates of some of the stuff I a
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 08:13 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

For 2009, my goals are to make cards for the church and to use the *good* stuff for the evryday and everyone projects! It does no good piled up - lined up and packaged up in my cupboard!

GIVE!!!!!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 08:19 AM   #24  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

My DD is the one who finally made the light bulb go off for me. She loves to make cards and scrapbook with me and while she does have some of her own supplies, I have a WHOLE lot more. She has no problem slicing into a brand new 12 X 12 sheet of paper for a 2 X 2 piece to embellish a card. I know that part of that is because she didn't pay for it but it made me realize . . . IT'S A PIECE OF PAPER!! There's lots more at SU or Mike's or AC's, as well as lots more ribbon, brads, etc, etc. Now I use it up and have a good reason for more shopping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 08:52 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by deiparaView Post
The first step is acknowledge you have a problem, right?

yes... but i didn't hear an acknowledgment! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

I am working on coming up with purposes that will quickly use some of that paper that I am hoarding...I really want to do some simple cards to donate to a cause....I am tired of looking at all the stuff in my "room" but I also know that is does have some sort of value....so can't just purge it....I did better this year at garage sale time of letting go of stamp sets that I just have not used....in years...
But there are things I still hoard that I can not part with and will probably continue to collect....such as markers...I can type and look at I would say about 250 different markers on my shelf....tombow, zig, Impress, copic, bic...never know when you might just need them.

I did one year sell oodles of embrodery floss...just to kick myself 2 years later when I started to scrapbook! I think part of my problem with embellishments is that I forget what have....only so much space in the 360 degrees around me that I can store stuff and see it to use it....

Solution..hehe...need bigger space

Stamp S'More

Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 09:28 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

I hoard cardstock more than paper but my true problem is all the stamps that i thought I had to have. They just sit. I don't ebay or trade and sale but I do need ideas on what to do with all of them. I can't buy any more sets until I purge what I already have and do not use. It makes me embarrassed to think of all the money I spent on them.

A day hemmed in prayer will not unravel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 09:50 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

This year I decided to let go also. I gave away a bunch of stuff that I wasn't wild about. This gave me more room. I found I was willing to "create" when I was not overwhelmed with "stuff". Unfortunately, I replaced the given away items with new stuff! I stayed away from craft stores but I found the internet! No internet shopping in 2009!
Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

I used to keep all the cards that were sent to me, all the swap samples, my favorite cards I made, etc... I started running out of room, so now I snap a picture and send them out. If there's a card someone sends me, I might clip the front off and re-use to send to someone else. I keep the special ones, and the fronts I really like for ideas later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 07:02 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Default No Hoarder here!

I'm a "Collector"! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Hi! My name is Chris, and I am a hoarder! PLEASE HELP ME to be like you......omg, it is out of control!!!!! PLEASE!!!! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Definite hoarder here when I'm making cards. I'm trying not to get palpatations that I'm using the last of some SU antique brass retired label holders on Christmas cards. Good grief, they've been sitting in that tin for over two years and haven't seen the light of day yet!

How about if we have a hoarder's challenge? Use something you've been hoarding for far too long and post it here! Let's all see what it feels like on the other side of the hoarding hump!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #33  
Kookie Creator

My name is Sheila and I am a paper hoarder. I have every piece of paper K & Company has ever made (I'm pretty sure I haven't missed a one, even the girl scouts and boy scouts). I do have a boy scout, thank goodness. I've decided to go through my favorites because there is a reason I made them my favorite and I'm sure I have everything for them. It's time to use up all my beautiful paper. I also have all the MME sets, every Basic Grey, Fancy Pants, and all the Acrylic Stamps to go with it. I actually was trying to go shopping on line today and I couldn't even think of anything I need. Reading your posts and realizing this, I am now going to start having fun. NO MORE SHOPPING. I'm going to look up that paper I want to use to give me that idea why I bought them. Most of my stamps have never been inked, in fact, they still need to be cut out. I'm ready to make the move!! Wish me good luck!!

Sheila
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

(hanging head in shame)...I am a hoarder too. My goal is to go the months of January thru March making no new purchases. I need to use the things I have...including stamps, dies, and embossing folders at least once! I will let you all know how it is going!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 10:07 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hoard too! Guess what my new years resolution is?? USE what I have
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 01:21 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

My name is Vina and I too am a paper and pretty embellies hoarder. Wow..it's nice to know that I'm not the only one with this disorder. What is it that make us want to hoard? It's not like there's a paper shortage 'cause there's tons of stuff out there. Hmmm??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 02:21 AM   #37  
Glitter Queen

I try not to hoard, but dang it all!! I never have enough time to use it!! Well, that's my story anyways!! Really tho, I've been making myself shop my stash more lately. It feels good to use it and it's also saving money to buy the BIG scrapbook toys!!

My Blog: My Crazy World Divine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 02:55 AM   #38  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm am also not a hoarder anymore. I decided to stop buying anything other than adhesives back in September. I have so many stamps, so many images, so much stuff and I'm having fun using it all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 03:14 AM   #39  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by maironadView Post
How about if we have a hoarder's challenge? Use something you've been hoarding for far too long and post it here! Let's all see what it feels like on the other side of the hoarding hump!
What an excellent idea! Count me in. I've never done a challenge before (well, not posted to one, at least) but this one is definitely in line with my New Year's resolutions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 03:27 AM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm not a hoarder yet...
Just starting out and slowly at that, i think i have like 2 real set of stamps and some single ones i have bought here and there. I can see how it can get out of control. IF i had more money and my Husband wouldn't kill me, I would have lots of stamps by now.
I joined wish-rak and so now i can get some of the images i really like and i can send stuff that i have a lot of, works out really good.
Reply With Quote Likes