Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-21-2008, 04:07 AM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am SUCH a hoarder. I LOVE DP (and have even framed some of my favorites so I will never have to part with them) but like someone else state above, am beginning to find that having so much "stuff" is affecting my ability to create so I am challenging myself to see how far in to the New Year I can get without buying. (but obviously anything I buy from TAC doesn't count since that's business, right?:mrgreen: )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 04:10 AM   #42  
Kookie Creator

Send a message via Skype™ to dastamper

Gosh I haven't replied to a thread in forever. I am a hoarder and need to take on the same mind set of those overcoming this condition. hahaha Okay use the good stuff to make room for the new. My problem is most of DP paper are girly and I have a son. Guess I should use them to make mini scrapbooks as gifts for friends with girls. Hmmmm Okay I want 2009 to be a year of getting off the hoarding band wagon. We can do this. One day at a time. Better now than never.

Last edited by dastamper; 12-21-2008 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: grammar error
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 06:29 AM   #43  
Crimping Master

I had to wrap 2 small gifts last night and I actually used 2 sheets of my dp. They were so lovely. I even used a pearl brad on the one my ds is giving to his girlfriend. I thought it would sting a little but it felt awesome! I could like this using my stash thing .

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 06:34 AM   #44  
Insane Embellisher

I'm a reformed hoarder as well. It is great to let it all go and use the stuff you bought! I even let my kids use it for school projects and when they make cards. If I run out of something, I just replace it as needed!

Congratulations!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 07:10 AM   #45  
Rubber Obsessor

Since I decluttered my stash of material years ago and time to time I have gotten rid of paper crafting things I never really thought of how much stuff I have....we are in the process of packing our house to move. Let me just say I have lots and lots of stuff hoarded. Oh my...wait until DH comes home to move us and sees all my crafting boxes, Maybe I should have labeled them something else....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 07:17 AM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

My name is Dawn and I am a hoarder, lol. Just recently I came to realize that keeping all these things to myself wasn't accomplishing anything, especially because no one was seeing them but me. I now use whatever I have because I know there are more things out there that I want to purchase.

I have been using the paper that I have hoarder for who kows how long in card kit swaps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 07:34 AM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

From Stampin Sooz: My DD.....has no problem slicing into a brand new 12 X 12 sheet of paper for a 2 X 2 piece to embellish a card.

THAT is my biggest hurdle! I can use my hodgepodge hardware, no problem - but cutting into my DP for one small piece would kill me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 07:42 AM   #48  
Kookie Creator

Default .

I too need to use my stuff. I am a hoarder and it has completely taken over my room. I also filled a room at my dd's house with scrappbooking and card supplies. I know, that was going way too far. I need to quit feeling like I need to help my LSS, so she won't close. It is going to be inevitable, eventually, and I need to realize I alone can not keep her in business. When I used to spend lots of money in there, she was oh so friendly,, now that I am spending way, way less and not going in there every week, it's' barely a hello.

Everyone, please help me to use what I have and buy no more. Especially with the fact I can no longer afford it. Help me Please!

grannypat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
i looked at the papers on the bottom, that were a year or two old, and i thought, they are a little out-of-style, and i don't love them like i used to. so my lesson is learned: use now while i LOVE it, and enjoy it!!!
I find myself doing this...I think I'll go through my paper and use some of it.

lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 09:47 AM   #50  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,400 Likes on 526 Posts

I had no idea I'd get so many responses to my original post! Oh my word. It was fun reading them all. My reason for hoarding long ago was the waste. I felt so bad using something so nice (like metal embellishments or fancy ribbons) knowing it might end up in the garbage. I feel that way about everything, actually - I will use and reuse things until they literally fall apart (ask my family about leftovers heehee!). Then I found out people saved my cards and so I got over my fear of things ending up in the garbage. Scrapbook pages aren't a problem because we look at those over and over.

Using my things on packaging and alterable items was my last hoarding hurdle. I already have a long list of things I'd like from the new CTMH catalog and the new SU catalog is coming out in a month, too. This means fun new stuff will be coming in, and I will never miss the paper and ribbon and embellishments I've used on previous projects. And I had fun using them! My husband would be so angry if he knew I was buying things and letting them sit. He always has told me, "I don't mind what you spend on your craft...you do the finances, and you've always been responsible...as long as you actually use the things you buy." So I MUST use it all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #51  
Rubber Obsessor

I have this problem, too. I've been thinking about it a lot lately and realizing that I have to stop buying and start using my supplies more. I have two big problems:
1) I can't resist a coupon, and I have to make it "worthwhile" ie; big savings, which means a higher ticket item. I buy a lot of paper packs because of this, and hey, I'll always need paper, right?

2) My other problem is that I was a scrapbooker first, and am new to cardmaking. That being said, I've been making more cards lately because my time is more limited. I have a hard time cutting into pattern paper to use a small piece for a card because I just might need the whole 12 x 12 for a scrapbook page. I just can't use some of my paper because it will be such a great sb page, when I finally get around to it...:rolleyes:

My dh will be deployed for a year and I know I'll have even less time to do things for myself, so I should shop less. However, I also know that one of my destressors (is that a word?) is to shop, especially for paper crafting items. I have to watch it!

You're not alone ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #52  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post
<------------- yup! used to hoard!

not anymore!

like everyone else has said... there will always be more stuff around the corner.

i also think that some of the hoarding was from the 'start up' mode, when i didn't have very much stuff to work with. now that i have been stamping for several years i have a decent assortment of supplies.

does that make any sense to anyone other than me?
Yes, yes, yes!!! Makes perfect sense since that is EXACTLY what happened to me! I'm SO glad to hear that I wasn't the only one this was happening to! I think the whole time I was a demo (4 years or so) I was a "horder" and would cringe at having to cut up my paper and use stuff - so I probably didn't make as many *AWESOME* things (or even likable - they were just ok or somewhat cute) as I can now (not that I'm fantastic, but my stuff just looks better because I USE the stuff I have!) Someone mentioned their "lightbulb" moment - and I think that's what I finally had! Like, a DUH moment! I could have been a MUCH BETTER demo if I'd have just USED half the stuff I had - instead of worrying about if I used it, how I wouldn't have any left! LOL! There are ALWAYS awesome new papers, embellishments, etc. just around the corner - and if you use stuff, and people dig it - then THEY want it, they buy it, and you eventually get more stuff! WOW! Too bad I just didn't have lightbulb go on while I was a demo!)

At least I can enjoy making stuff so much more now - even if I don't reap the "rewards" of being a demo. I actually had my son's current teacher say something to me about how awesome she'd already heard my stuff/cards were - before she even opened them (she'd heard about them from previous teachers - yeah!!!! That did it!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #53  
Matboard Maniac

I am the same-boxes of stuff that I bought full of excitement and now loathe for what it stands for-greed. 'I want it all and use very little' is my motto or WAS!

Since the post regarding feeling bad about things we've bought I'm so much better. I'm not perfect-still buy bits full of big ideas but not so much.

I do ebay to raise funds for my animals and some strays I also care for. I give to charity shops, groups that want craft materials and any new crafter is bombarded with stuff! Recently I met a chap and a girl (not a couple) down at a local allotment. I found out they like crafting-yes!

I gave each of them several bags of stuff-I felt embarassed but the man who knows all of us could barely carry them all and looked agog. He kept saying 'there's no need to be so generous' and all I could think was 'hey, if you're not off right away I can get you some more'!!

I fear I'm seen as a mad overenthusiastic person who you say hello to and I give huge gifts to but as you'll all know-I am more grateful for them taking it than they could ever be receiving!

I feel good to encourage this wonderful hobby and mostly I feel free-er. Once the other boxes are gone (and why hasn't my stash clearly decreased in amount?) and I have a sensible amount to use, I'll be less guilty, less overwhelmed and probably craft more as it will be joyful again and not filled with guilt and shame at having gone so mad over the years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
What an excellent idea! Count me in. I've never done a challenge before (well, not posted to one, at least) but this one is definitely in line with my New Year's resolutions!
I'll start a hoarders' challenge thread after Christmas, then. Let's use up our stuff! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 06:17 PM   #55  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile

I'll be glad to take any extras anyone wants to get rid of. . So any cardmaking/scrapbook supplies you don't want send them my way.

Cardmaking is like an addiction lol. You always need more stuff to work with, that is why we hoard. I have been using the supplies I do have quiet a bit during the holiday season. But I LOVE papers and embellishments and ribbons OH MY....lol.

I would like to try my hand at scrapbooking next year.

I will have to get more supplies I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 06:28 PM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

I not only hoard paper, I hoard EVERYTHING. Today, I used my glue dots. I got them in a Club Scrap box and use them sparingly. Now, what the heck. They make life easier, use them. Thanks for starting this thread, I will be USING my stuff instead of hoarding!!! Even if no one but me appreciates it! LOL!
One of Kota's Kids
Too Blessed to be Stressed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #57  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by NormanormalView Post
I have this problem, too. I've been thinking about it a lot lately and realizing that I have to stop buying and start using my supplies more. I have two big problems:
1) I can't resist a coupon, and I have to make it "worthwhile" ie; big savings, which means a higher ticket item. I buy a lot of paper packs because of this, and hey, I'll always need paper, right?

2) My other problem is that I was a scrapbooker first, and am new to cardmaking. That being said, I've been making more cards lately because my time is more limited. I have a hard time cutting into pattern paper to use a small piece for a card because I just might need the whole 12 x 12 for a scrapbook page. I just can't use some of my paper because it will be such a great sb page, when I finally get around to it...:rolleyes:

My dh will be deployed for a year and I know I'll have even less time to do things for myself, so I should shop less. However, I also know that one of my destressors (is that a word?) is to shop, especially for paper crafting items. I have to watch it!

You're not alone ladies!
Do you scrap book 12"? How about saving 1/2 of paper to accent cardstock and use the rest on cards, etc. Since your husband is military-they would love to have cards. cardsforheroes.org is another idea. I had an obscene amount of paper, embellies(stickers) etc. My grandson's room mother had jst started scrapbooking and didn't have any money in the budget for it-she doesn't read scrapbook mags so she doesn't know what she is "supposed " to be using. I gave her-easily 1000 sheets of patterened paper and cs. Tons of stickers and embellies. And she has been thrilled with everything!! I had told her to go thru it and anything she didn't want we'd give to the art teacher at the school. But being a gal after my own heart-she wanted it all- heck, yeah!! Another thing to do is to trade on the PIF threads for things you need(adhesive, brads, inks, primas, etc)
When I'm nervous about cutting into paper I cut into 6 pieces of 4" x 6" later it's 4"x5-1'4" for card fronts. The hardest papers for me to cut were Basic Greys(I save and use every last scrap) and dove of the east(just too gorgeous) ( doveoftheeast.com) now some of these belong in frames!!

{there are no mistakes in rubber stamping; only embellishment opportunities}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #58  
Crimping Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't hoard, I just keep buying. About every 6 months or so I get nuts and just start collecting stuff and either sell it in a small sale or donate to some cause. I also buy too many stamp sets that I am not ever going to use. This spring I will be selling off two large rubbermaid totes full of stuff.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 09:49 PM   #59  
Crimping Master

I struggle with this every time I sit down to scrapbook. I have to take it just one step at a time...starting with...I can always buy more, I can always buy more. Then...just do it, use it be happy. If that doesn't work, I drink a glass of wine and that seems to do the trick! Away with the anxiety and let loose a bit...I can always buy more! Right?!!?!?? lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #60  
Gallery Gazer

Someone here on SCS started a thread, Stamp to spend or scrap to spend or something like that! I thought it was pretty neat. I am just not good as keeping up with things or disciplining myself. On the thread it suggested amounts for cards, scrapbook pages, or other projects, so you have to make so many things to earn a certain amount to spend on new stuff. Does that make since? Anyway, I would be sooo in the red! LOL! Like I said, discipline, I have none when it comes to certain things!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 01:28 AM   #61  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,400 Likes on 526 Posts

OOh, Club Scrap!!!! I belonged to them for several years, then had to quit when my 4th child was born. I knew I wouldn't be doing much scrapbooking as they were all still under 5 back then. Now I have more time and I MISS Club Scrap! Their paper was the best and I adored being surprised every month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 02:39 AM   #62  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by NormanormalView Post

You're not alone ladies!
Me, too! But even though I rarely use dp on cards, I have started buying dp that is "card-specific"...smaller patterns or in styles that match particular stamps. Just a few sheets here and there, and I'm really trying to use it, LOL!Maybe you could go through your stash, pull out the sheets that would work on cards, and store them separately. That's what I do, and it makes it so much easier to cut into the dp designated for cards...since that's what it is for, anyway!

God bless you and your dh. Thank you both for your service!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 05:59 AM   #63  
Glitter Queen

OMG...I can't tell you how therapeutic reading this thread has been! I had the same revelation this holiday season so I have been trying to make lots of stuff with lots of my stuff to just give away!!! It is the season to spread joy and love anyway, right?!! I think I have enough stuff that I have "hoarded" to spread the love for a very long time.

So maybe I will have a personal theme for my 2009...Merry Christmas all year!!!!

Yes, time is an issue, but if I can use my stuff weekly and do some Womens craft nights at church, it might just work!!!!

LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 06:09 AM   #64  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am a hoarded of scraps. I am out of control on sizes as small as 1". I used to teach school and supplies usually came out of my pocket for the nicer projects I wanted the students to do. I have a resolution for 2009-I am cleaning out and donating what I know I won't use to a daycare/kindergarten/church for the kiddies to make cards for their moms and dads.

As for supplies I started cutting into them a month ago and it was liberating!

I will definitely join a Hoarder's Anon.! I need all the help I can get. I will say that at 3 am it is nice to have it in the stash and get the page/card finished.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 08:46 AM   #65  
Pearl-ExPert

For those who haven't found it - there's a hoarder's challenge at Forums at Splitcoaststampers

It's why I didn't create one. Jbalcer beat me to it! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 09:46 AM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

With the economy the way it is right now and my spending habits about to change (just started the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University) I am seriously going to cut my spending budget. I plan on purchasing only $50.00 or less per month...YIKES...I normally spend about $500 per month. Anyway, it is going to change. I want many of the new nesties so I am going to have to learn some self discipline very fast. My room is bursting...I do use a lot of my stuff for the soldier project but when I get the urge to shop...I am going to shop in my room and find the goodies that are right under my nose....I have so much paper that I have wanted to "save" but I am going to start using more..Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #68  
Polyshrink Goddess

The same things happened to me this year as well. I Love creatign even more now!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #69  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

It's so nice to be a member of the Hoarders 'R Us!

I just finished cleaning out my stamproom and it took 3 passes. The first time I got rid of the "ugly" stuff. That last 2 pieces from a pack of paper that I just didn't like, or the weird color green that never matches anything, the last sticker on the sheet that is now dog-eared, and the stamps that were part of set that I never liked or was given to me and never used (2 shoe boxes of stamps).

The second pass I was "little" more diligent and actually ended up with 4 shoe boxes of stamps, a much bigger stack of paper, a lot more stickers, but still haven't touched the precious embellishments.

Then it started to feel good that I could get rid of things that I was "probably" never going to use. Wow, this didn't hurt as much as I thought so I made another pass.

I now have 7 shoe boxes of stamps - I kept only the ones that if I were to see them in a store today, I would still buy them. I got rid of all the paper that I was keeping just because it cost money but I was not in love with it. Then I took the big plunge, yes, embellsihements - if I hadn't used in the last year, then there is a very good chance that I'm never going to use it.

I also tossed out all those bits and pieces of cards that never quite worked out, scraps under 3" are gone, odds and ends of ribbon are gone, baby, gone!

Tomorrow my stamping buddies are comming over and what they don't take is going to goodwill on Tuesday when the truck will be in my neighborhood.

And the best part of all, I sat down an made a card and there was no more wading through stuff I don't like. I feel like I can be more creative and the best thing of all, I won't feel bad if I buy something new because I know I don't have anything like it. I went to LSS to pick up some glue and that is all I bought, just glue because I don't need anything else, and this is huge, I tossed the Michael's 50% coupon because this week, there is anything I need.

I don't know how long I can hold out not buying, but quite frankly, I could go for a year or more and buy nothing except tape and glue and never run out of supplies. I know I'll buy a treat now and then, but not like before. Sign me, a recovering Hoarder. See you at the next Hoarders 'R Us meeting as I need your support to stay strong *LOL*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2009, 07:20 PM   #70  
Crimping Master

The tragedy of the whole thing is I was reading this thread and I had said that I wasn't going to buy any stamp stuff for a few months this year earlier in this very thread. Well a few weeks ago, I discover ms glitter at our local Wal Mart, so every time I go in to get something, I have been picking up a 3-pack. I now have 18 color. Only 12 more to go (4 more packs) and I will have them all. It is a sickness I tell ya....

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #71  
Polyshrink Goddess

I too have been a hoarder. I had not seen these threads on here - didn't get to surf the boards as often as I'd like over the holidays - but I also set a goal for the new year to use up what I have. Part of it was realizing how much I had collected in the 3 years since I really got into this hobby, and part of it was wanting to save money. I have been scrappin' for about 16 years, but had to put it aside for a few years while I was busy with small children and going to school. When I got back into it 3 years ago (after being introduced to stamping), I purged all the outdated stuff I wasn't going to use and started over. I felt like I had to have it all and believe me, I wanted it all! Now I look at my scraproom - yes room...a corner of the basement will no longer suffice...and I shake my head at how much I have spent in 3 short years. I have started using my stuff up and it has been quite liberating and enjoyable. If you would like to read about my challenge for myself (and anyone who cares to join me), it is on my blog. Ahhh freedom from hoarding feels soooooo good!

My Blogs: Mission Inkpossible & Embry Family Recipes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #72  
Rubber Obsessor

Another hoarder here - I have gone through certain stages of recovery and still working on it! I used to buy anything on clearance or really good sale prices because it was cheap, not necessarily because I thought I would use it - I have stopped that practice (pretty much hehe); I don't think I intentionally hoard anything anymore, but since moving and starting vet school, I haven't had any time to do anything! And I haven't bought as much as I used to, but I still find ways to squeeze some more things in my craft room. This weekend I finally unpacked everything and put it all away and I can't believe it all fit - this room is smaller than the last 2 craft rooms I've had. I actually sold a lot of stuff at a crop before my move, so that helped. My goal now, is the same as most of you, to USE what I have before I buy more. We'll see how that goes....

OSU College of Veterinary Medicine-Class of 2012!

Last edited by ManatyGrrl; 01-24-2009 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: mis-spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #73  
Crimping Master

Jenn,

Checked out your Blog. Your basement looks beautiful! The colors are so soft and restful and everything is so well organized. It's hard to believe that you started with an unfinished basement a year ago. We built our house 8 years ago, and while the basement is mostly done, we still don't have a ceiling.

Just wanted to tell you, I loved it, so everyone, go check it out!!! It's awesome!!! (She has really cute kids and an adorable dog too! ).

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 09:43 PM   #74  
Polyshrink Goddess

jenn, i looked at your stamp room too, it's super! looks so organized with everything visually within reach. my dog sits with me while I stamp too, your cutie has such a sweet little face.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #75  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks Pamela & Sylvia. I really enjoy my new space. DH worked so hard on it. I don't think it would be completely done if it weren't for the fact that we hired out the sheetrock & texturing. DH decided he couldn't do it all and it would take way too long if he did. So he was content to pay someone else for that part and only do what he knew he was capable of. Not only is he a sweetie, he's smart too. LOL It seems that lots of us has fur babies that like to spend their time with us while we scrap. Rosie is a rescue dog and oh so loyal and sweet. Under my desk is her preferred spot. You should have seen her a few months ago when I spilled prisma glitter - she sparkled for at least two weeks! LOL Thanks again for your kind words. :-)

My Blogs: Mission Inkpossible & Embry Family Recipes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #76  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdblondView Post
I try not to hoard, but dang it all!! I never have enough time to use it!! Well, that's my story anyways!! Really tho, I've been making myself shop my stash more lately. It feels good to use it and it's also saving money to buy the BIG scrapbook toys!!
Shop your stash, I love that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #77  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
It's so nice to be a member of the Hoarders 'R Us!

I just finished cleaning out my stamproom and it took 3 passes. The first time I got rid of the "ugly" stuff. That last 2 pieces from a pack of paper that I just didn't like, or the weird color green that never matches anything, the last sticker on the sheet that is now dog-eared, and the stamps that were part of set that I never liked or was given to me and never used (2 shoe boxes of stamps).

The second pass I was "little" more diligent and actually ended up with 4 shoe boxes of stamps, a much bigger stack of paper, a lot more stickers, but still haven't touched the precious embellishments.

Then it started to feel good that I could get rid of things that I was "probably" never going to use. Wow, this didn't hurt as much as I thought so I made another pass.

I now have 7 shoe boxes of stamps - I kept only the ones that if I were to see them in a store today, I would still buy them. I got rid of all the paper that I was keeping just because it cost money but I was not in love with it. Then I took the big plunge, yes, embellsihements - if I hadn't used in the last year, then there is a very good chance that I'm never going to use it.

I also tossed out all those bits and pieces of cards that never quite worked out, scraps under 3" are gone, odds and ends of ribbon are gone, baby, gone!
Wow, I am so impressed. I think that takes so much more willpower than I think I have right now. I have gotten better about using what I have and not buying stuff just because it is on sale or I have a 50% off coupon (man that was hard!). And I let my friend's kids go crazy crafting out of my scrap and old, cheap paper piles. I bet it feels good though to have fewer supplies staring at you that you know you won't use.

Funny side note. So, I've have hoarded stickers for I honestly don't know how long. The kids were making cards with my scraps so I pulled out some of my stickers. The stickers were apparently so old that the adhesive was dying and you couldn't pull the sticker off the backing! We had to pull/cut the images out and then glue them on to the page with a glue stick. That should be my first clue that I need to really start going through my stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 04:50 AM   #78  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Oh boy more progress.. talk about a new meaning of make 'n take ... or should I say "Make Them Take". My stampin buddies came over on Saturday for a workshop and to "shop" through my piles of stuff. First they were amazed at how much stuff I was giving away and they didn't want to take too much. Each only had one, yes, just one, grocery bag of stuff. I had to stress (i.e. plead with them) to them to take more because what they didn't take I really was giving to good will. Then it became a shopping frenzy. Each left with at least 4 bags of stuff... Woo Hoo!!

The ironic thing is that I still have a lot of stamps left because we all have a lot of the same sets and don't use those stamps either. At the end of the day I was feeling so proud of myself as I packed up what was left to give to goodwill.

But I almost had a relaspe! This spring I'm going to paint my stamproom and I'm in the progress of buying the white wooden cube storage from Michaels. I buy one a payday with a coupon so that I'll have enough to replace the majority of my iris carts. I went to Michales on Sunday to get one, just one cube. I found myself wandering around to see what was new and it hit me, OMG, what am I doing looking for new stuff! The lure of the sales signs were pulling me deeper into the store; the smell of new paper was tugging at my wallet; I'm sure my cart was possed and was driving itself to the stamp aisle.
I grabbed that one storage cube and almost ran to the checkout counter. Whew, that was close, but I made it out with one, yes, just one item. I know I can do it, but I have to be strong. Having a Michaels and a LSS within 2 blocks of my house is going to be hard, but I can do it, I know I can. Well gotta to go now, I have to read the add from JoAnn's......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 05:25 AM   #79  
Glitter Guru

My name is Tonya and I am a RECOVERING hoarder. lol In the last couple of months I have finally started using more of my embellishments. I always thought "but I might make something else that it would look even better on" so I would not use them. I have never been much of a hoarder with paper but I was a BAD embellishment hoarder. I am glad to see others out there, I thought I was weird for hoarding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 05:36 AM   #80  
Glitter Guru

YOu guys crack me up! I am in the process of going through BINS and DRAWERS full of stuff and broke down and bought the Clip It up Systems for my ribbon and my embellies. I figure I would quit hoarding if I had it out where I could see it and use it more...................
Reply With Quote Likes