Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-30-2005, 10:12 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiskars trimmer not cutting straight

:mad: Ok a while back I read a thread about how someone got sent a new trimmer b/c it wasn't cutting staight! Well mine now doesn't cut staight. Does anyone know where I can find the link?? TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2005, 10:19 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I'd love to know too...I have three that don't cut straight. I just kept buying them, I never thought they'd take them back.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2005, 11:16 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Default trimmer

Call Fiskars, I received a new one from them. That one also cut crooked.
I called them again and they said they would send another one. I asked if I could up grade and was told no. I called and left a message (turned out to be the same lady) and said there wasn't point in sending me the same one again. Asked again if I could upgrade. Anyhow to make a long story short they did send me the upgraded one with a note regarding my saying I had heard of alot of people having the same problem. SHe said "we sell millions"
Wish I could tell her to go on this site and see how many people are unhappy with their trimmers. The new one seems to be ok but it has the same plastic guide so time will tell. I believe it is the same Fiskars as SU sells.

Good luck. ( got the # from their web site, I think it is fiskars.com)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2005, 11:39 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I started the other thread about the trimmers. I emailed Fiskars (go to Fiskars.com for the email) and just told them I was having trouble getting a straight cut. They sent me an upgraded one, and I didn't even have to ask. So I'd let them know of your concerns, and see what happens. They were extremely nice with me. The new cutter is better than the other type I had.

Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2005, 12:06 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I had the same issue ahwile back and I emailed Fiskars, and got a new purple one, without even asking for an upgraded one ( I had the gray and orange one). I have had fewer issues with this one, but, I do find that I have to change out the blade quite often, in order to make a nice even, straight cut. And, it doesnt like to cut more than 1 sheet of SU cs at once, so, cutting a piece of cs folded in half, as you would do for a card, you need a newly replaced blade. Lasts me about a month, depending on useage. I know blades are not cheap, so eventually, I may consider a rotary type cutter, but for now, with my personal use, I will stay with changing the blades.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2005, 12:20 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I also had this problem and got the 1-800# from fiscars.com. They did send me out a replacement part (the snap on ruler section) but it did not help at all. I have since bought a Zision trimmer from Provo Craft. I bought it at Roberts Craft in Utah, it is bright pink and green and I really like it. It was VERY inexpensive...I think it was about $8. (yes, it is for 12 x 12 paper and has a pull out ruler like the fiscars.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2005, 12:44 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Ugh. I haven't had much luck with any trimmer, either. I've tried the gray 8 1/2 inch Fiskers, the blue 8 1/2 inch Fiskars, the Carl 100 12 inch rotary cutter, the big gray Fiskars 12 inch rotary cutter, and now the 12 inch Fiskars blade trimmer. This last one is a bluish-purple, with a metal face-plate, an orange blade and an orange "Fiskars" trademark in the upper left corner. NONE of these have ever cut straight enough for me. The only one i'm somewhat happy with is the Fiskars 12 inch rotary but you can't cut very small pieces of paper for layering, as I like to do. So which Fiskers non-rotary trimmer is the "upgraded" one? I thought the 12 inch bluish-purple one was it, but if it is, I'm not impressed. I'm thinking of going to Office Max to get one of the guillotine style trimmers. If I ever see that Zision one for $8 I'll definitely try it!

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2005, 12:47 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't know anything about returning Fiskars trimmers, all I know is that they suck and I don't ever let my customers buy them from me. I don't know if the new one is any better, but I wouldn't count on it. I love my cutterbee rotary trimmer. Get one, it's awesome!!

Kathryn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2005, 05:05 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks soo much ladies I will be sure to email them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2005, 05:53 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I have 2 Fiskars cutters...the big one w/ the rotary blade and interchangeable blades (which I've had for about 7 years and only recently bought a new straight blade for) and the smaller one sold by SU! (which I've had about 8 months). I have not had ANY trouble w/ either in getting a straight cut. After reading these posts, I'm beginning to think I lead a charmed life!;) I hope you can get these issues "straightened" out (good pun, huh!) Really, I do! Just wanted you to know that it's not all bad w/ the cutters.

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2005, 03:10 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I got my trimmer!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2005, 03:27 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

since I didn't see anyone post this info, here it is:

FISKARS BRANDS, INC.
School, Office & Craft
2537 Daniels Street
Madison, WI 53718 USA
1-866-348-5661
E-Mail: [email protected]

I wrote them a very polite letter a few weeks ago and received the purple/metal trimmer about a week and a half later. it cuts better than the original orange/gray one but I think the Carl 12" trimmer (not even the rotary, the regular blade one) is better. I found the carl at staples for about $12 (way cheaper than fiskars). I had bought the fiskars one after I couldn't find replacement blades for the carl. but after I found the blades at officemax, I stopped using the fiskars one. I'm planning on putting the fiskar trimmers into a goodie box swap. the purple one has no metric markings on the swingout axis! I'm not crazy about metric but who wants to count out 1/8" or 1/16" lines when it's easier to look at centimeter marks?!

jenny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2005, 06:45 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have tried just about every trimmer on the market and Fiskars SUCKS! The guide that you pull the blade down spreads open when you put pressure on it. That is why it cuts crooked. The new ones have a triple track, which may or may not work, but I am all over that green and pink number from Provo. $7.99 and it is a dream! The paper guard swings up instead of sideways, the numbers are colored so you can see them and it was cheap. I do love my Exacto guillotine trimmer for big stuff, but the zissamacallit is great for taking with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2005, 06:55 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I was so happy to find this thread. I have never really been satisfied with my trimmer either. My problem is that it never seems to cut the paper evenly. When I try to cut the 11" side in half, the two pieces never come out the same. This makes it very difficult when you are mass producing cards because none of them look the same. I will absolutely have to e-mail them. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2005, 07:09 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Fiskars is a fabulous company. I emailed them last month and they sent me an upgraded one which cuts PERFECTLY!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2005, 07:23 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by skittlebrow
I'm not crazy about metric but who wants to count out 1/8" or 1/16" lines when it's easier to look at centimeter marks?!

jenny
Woohoo! Go metric system, go! First California, next, the world! (Well, excluding all the parts of the world taht have already switched to metric. )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2005, 08:27 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I called and emailed Fiskars some time ago and was basicly told I was out of luck. They would not replace it. I gave up and got a guillitine cutter and LOVE it!! I just bought the cheap one from Office Depot. I think it was $30.

Whenever I feel blue I start breathing again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2005, 09:01 PM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaprincess
I gave up and got a guillitine cutter and LOVE it!! I just bought the cheap one from Office Depot. I think it was $30.
I bought a guillotine cutter from Office Depot, and when I brought it home and worked on a scrapbooking project with it, I found it was off square. I went back and measured how square all of the cutters they had were, and all of them were off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2005, 07:40 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I e-mailed Fiskars last night after finding this thread. They have already responded and they told me I need to send them my old one, then I will have a new one within 7-10 days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2005, 08:52 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Red face It seems they don't have a consistent..

I noticed that Fiskars doesn't seem to have a consistent philosophy when dealing with this issue.

I have the grey cutter from about 5 years ago and noticed that it cut crooked. I found that old thread on here and decided to contact Fiskars about it and they were more then helpful and sent me a new grey cutter. And I didn't have to send them my old one.

Unfortunately this new grey cutter also cuts crooked, it is no better than the other one!

My friend also has two of these grey ones and a rotary one, all three cut crooked. When she contacted Fiskars they told her she would have to ship them all in to get a replacement or something fixed on them.

I don't understand why some people are refused, some people must get a new "part", some people get an equal replacement w/o sending in, some people get fixed or equal replacement with sending in, some people get an "upgraded".. etc. etc etc.

BTW is the purplish one the "upgrade" from the grey 12"? I'm wondering if I should contact Fiskars again but somehow I wonder if I'm pushing my luck!

Update: well I just sent them a note about my situation. I'll let you all know what they say back! I'm expecting them to tell me "too bad so sad" or "send 'em in".

Last edited by bluesh4rk; 09-15-2005 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: Update
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2005, 09:08 AM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

The purple one is an improved version of the grey one. I too have noticed how inconsistent Fiskars' response to the crooked cutting complaint is. Just before I contacted Fiskars about my trimmer problems, someone on here said they had emailed Fiskars about their grey 12" cutter, and received a purple triple track in replacement. I was hopeful I would get this response too to my problems with the 9" and 12" trimmers. Fiskars sent me a triple track 9" replacement trimmer, but a grey 12" replacement trimmer. I was kind of disappointed, but tried to be thankful they didn't just send me a replacement fold-out ruler like some others on here had received. And the 9" triple track works so well I will be much more likely to buy a 12" TT.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2005, 09:39 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Default Trimmers

I have 2 grey and the $40 purple one and none of them cut straight. I took the purple one back to Michaels and noticed someone else doing the same. My guillotine one is better but like someone else stated no 2 pieces of card stock comes out the same no matter what I do. My demo's don't come out straight either. What's a girl to do?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2005, 09:44 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

I found the Zision trimmer at Joann Etc. It came in a pack with a scoring blade and a pair of scissors for $14.99. I used my 40% off coupon. So far, it's definitely better than the Fiskars non-rotary trimmers. The plastic track locks down so that it doesn't wobble. The only bad thing is that the blade wore out really fast. I've ordered some more from Joann.com. I can't seem to get the scoring blade to score squarely so I'm not sure what the problem is there. Why would it cut square but not score square? I'm thinking of giving up on the cheap scrapbooking trimmers and going for the professional's, like engineers, trimmers that start around $40, like the Dahle's. The Dahle blade self-sharpens everytime it cuts! The only problem I could foresee is the straight edge, which the paper is braced against, may not be close enough to the trimmer in order to cut small strips or pieces. For that, I may end up turning to a hand-held rotary blade and a see-thru quilter's ruler. And so, the quest continues... :rolleyes:

Here's Dahle's website in case anyone's interested:

Dahle

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2005, 09:47 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Interesting! I emailed and the chick just asked for my address and that was it! I didn't have to mail back the old one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2005, 10:39 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Default Success!

Update: I already heard back from Fiskars and they are going to send me the upgrade triple track w/o having to send anything in. I was truly shocked since I had already contacted them once before. You never know unless you ask I guess! Hopefully this one will work better for me. I have no experience with this particular cutter altho I accidentally bought triple track blades once (including a scoring blade) and never got around to returning them. Funny, now I'll have a use for them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2005, 12:47 PM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by handstampedhappiness
I don't know anything about returning Fiskars trimmers, all I know is that they suck and I don't ever let my customers buy them from me. I don't know if the new one is any better, but I wouldn't count on it. I love my cutterbee rotary trimmer. Get one, it's awesome!!

Kathryn
I have 3 fiskers trimmers. Two are the normal size, one is the big one. I don't like any of them. Never occurred to me to send them back! Duh!
I did get a cutterbee rotary trimmer and I love it too! It's easy to change the blade to use the scoring blade. Much easier than the large fiskers! I'm sold on cutterbee!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2005, 01:07 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sam's club has a $20 Carl Cutter Rotary - I'm guessing it's a smaller version than the 'fancy, expensive' ones I hear everyone raving about but I'm thinking of trying it too. I love my 12" rotary Fiskars but the blades are a pain to switch off & on & my 2-year old is always trying to get ahold of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2005, 01:35 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had that problem with my fiskars cutter since I bought it. I even wrote to the company for a new track because mine appeared warped. It still cut crooked. Ended up buying a cutterpede and love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2005, 05:34 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Does anyone think it would be rude to e-mail Fiskars, with a link to this thread? I wonder why they are so inconsistent with the options they give people. Maybe if I e-mail them again I will not have to send my old one to them and they will just send me a new one. After reading all of the complaints in this thread, it makes me never want to buy Fiskars again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2005, 06:36 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

I know it's tempting to be rude to them and yell about their crappy products but think of it from the company's perspective. why would they want to send you replacement trimmer if you're already dead-set against their brand? if, on the other hand, you tell them you think their brand is good but you just got a bum trimmer, they'd probably be happy to send you another one to make sure they keep you coming back for more plus spread the good word of mouth. I'm looking at the limited lifetime warranty written on the back of the package and it says to send in the product if there's anything wrong with it. part of the reason I chose to write a letter is that I thought it would be easier for them to just send me a new one rather than write to me to tell me to send them my old one and then write me again to send me the replacement one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2005, 12:52 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Default Well.

Hey I got my upgrade but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

I have had luck telling them that I like their brand and I want to give them a chance and I'm thinking of perhaps going to another brand to see if I can find something that has better results. I don't know if it was who I emailed (the same person both times) or what I said that made them decide to just send out a new one.

I've always contacted them through their live help module that seems to be offline most of the time. I've just left a message on there for the person that monitors the account.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2005, 01:00 PM   #32  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have three brands and I like them all for different things. I use the SU fiskars for individual cards..... and I LOVE IT! I take it with me to stamp when I am out of town and its by my side at my desk. its much better than the older style. I also have a Carl Cutter, and I use it for quantity cutting...also love it. hard for the small pieces and to trim something close.... but thats just me...plus I have it accross the room and it has to be because of space. so the fiskars is compact for by my side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2005, 01:07 PM   #33  
Gabfest Goddess

I had a small fiskars "hand" (wrong term, I'm sure, it was tiny) cutter that was just absolute garbage. It was a freebie with my 12" rotary cutter. Which is also absolute garbage. I've been reduced to using a hobby blade and straight edge for the past 2 months.....not an easy feat when you're doing swaps, I tell ya!

I finally just bit the bullet, contacted Everafter Arts (www.everafterarts.com) and got a FABULOUS deal! If you are an SU Demo you get your stuff for HALF PRICE!!!!!! It was sent last Monday so it should be arriving early next week, and I can't WAIT to cut cardstock...more than once piece...without having a major freak out because it's all crooked!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2005, 01:55 PM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Debbi...you'll LOVE the Carl trimmer! I've had mine (actually bought two different models) for about a month now and the 15" is so cool that it justifies its place on my main stamping table!!
Reply With Quote Likes