Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-03-2005, 06:54 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this is going to be hard..

I am going to become a demonstrator next month (start of new quarter) but I don't love the stamp sets suggested. I love to color so sets like Summer By The Sea appeal to me. I have never worked with solid stamps but I have to start thinking like a demonstrator and practicing new cards that are quicker to make and make an instant impression. I would demo coloring techniques if I had the time but I think it would take too long and people want to see instant results - 3 cards in an hour so which do I buy?

Tell me specific stamp sets you suggest I start to buy that will demonstrate well at parties and make people say "oh, I must have that set!"

Also, give me your picks on what ink pads to go with that will make the most impact at parties. For budget reasons, I need to stick with the number that comes with the starter kit which may be 6???

Thanks!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 06:58 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I demo spring garden a lot and my customers absolutely love it! It's a good way to demo 2-step stamping and it's perfect for the season! I like to use it with mellow moss and perfect plum. Just an idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 07:02 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

In Full Bloom!!!

I have to admit I didnt like it and then my UL talked me into it. NOW, everytime I make a card I love the set even more. Whats better is that I have made so many cards and have samples that I sell this set!
A MUST HAVE!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 07:08 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I agree with the In Full Bloom suggestion. I can that my sister for getting me hooked on that one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 07:11 PM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I would suggest you get set that YOU love when you sign up. Even though coloring is your favorite thing - stamps sets are so adaptable to many techniques that will be easy to demonstrate at workshops.

When I first signed up I tended to choose things I thought people would like - I hardly use those sets and/or have gotten rid of them. Now when I choose sets.. its all about what I want. I haven't heard any complaints from customers yet!

Have fun!

Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 07:31 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Honey, don't be afraid of what you like! If you like coloring, DO a card with coloring. But, of course, still do other quick and easy cards. You will definitely learn as time goes on. But different things appeal to different people. I think what a demo does is use her best work to get people to the party, then once there, give them techniques and tools that they can apply to their own styles and tastes in stamps. That gets their minds going! If they prefer simple, they will come up with a way to modify and make it more simple. Or if they love ribbon, they'll say, "Wouldn't this be cute with a red ribbon?"

Just remember, your best and most loved sells the product. Show others how to make it something they love and give them ideas about how to make the cards or scrapbooks "their own". Just enjoy the cards you make and the customers will enjoy finding their own thing. You are merely a way to introduce and get them started. Guide them to what appeals to them. They should understand that they don't need to copy your work. You are teaching techniques. They will then take what they learned and apply it to their own styles and they will buy and do what appeals to them. And have YOU to thank for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 07:40 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I think you'll be a great demo, Jen! If you love to color, get a set like In Full Bloom so you can demo your coloring. But be sure to get some sets that have an instant WOW factor without coloring too. I'd recommend Terrific Tulips, Spring Garden, or Watercolor Garden II for Two-Step Stamping, which is a HUGE hit with newbies! They can make an incredible card right away with these sets! I also love Watercolor Garden 1.

Another very versatile set is All Natural. It has a flower, a pear, a leaf, an acorn, and a sentiment. You can use it with tons of techniques, including Crayon Resist. By the way, Crayon Resist is the coolest technique and people are SO impressed with it! Look in the Gallery before you pick your sets for your Starter Kit, so you can see what can be done with each set. The All Natural set, for example, has over 500 samples in the Gallery! And I think it's only $16.95!

Hope this helps!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 07:47 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I seem to have a lot of luck with 2-step sets, especially watercolor garden 2...

Good luck whatever you decide!
Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 08:13 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

roses in winter is my new personal favorite! I don't think you can make a bad anything with that set...an besides...what gal doesn't like roses! Terrific Tulips and Spring Garden are other favorites!

SCS member #7026
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 03:17 AM   #10  
PAPER SCAPER

I'm not a demo but I have taught new people how to stamp and the one I always start them off with is Watercolor Garden.

I do a very light tan shadow in the center and instead of using ink I made what looks like a frame from cardstock (so simple to do) and use chalk in the opening. This card has three layers.
I tell them they can't go wrong and to start placing flower heads with the largest daisy around the shadow. Do some second hits with your flower without re inking to give a nice faded background. Now add your centers, stems and leaves to the flowers but not the second hits. Don't forget a butterfly or two. Use the Itty Bitty set to scatter some dots around.

If they do a little goof which we did with my last newbie, you just cover it up using the scattered dots. She was amazed that I saved the card with those. She said she would have thrown it out and started over.

Now you’ve used two mediums, chalk and ink and two stamps sets also.

Keep in mind and use this in your demonstrations. Not all people do well with coloring and it is sometimes hard for those with problems to hold the pencils or markers for that long. With the solid stamps it's done without the extra pain. I love my solid stamps for that reason alone.

I saw a picture of the card I just explained but I can’t find it in any of the old catalogs if you want a picture let me know. I haven’t had any luck getting one to post here (some day I’m going to make myself learn this) so I’d have to email it.

Good luck,
Rox
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 04:11 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I also agree to get what you like and want to use. My first ever workshop experience with SU we did coloring and pastels. I was hooked. As for colors definitely keep a black pad in the line up but then get the colors you like most, you'll use them and can add more later. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 04:27 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Water Color Garden is a great set - you can show inking and using markers. I have been having a lot of fun with All the Best too! I choose sets that can be used for lots of things, I like sets that have images and verses - I figure more bang for the buck. I started out using Nice and Easy Notes a lot too! Layering is a big beginner WOW too. Most folks know you can color in an image, but then matching it up with a couple layers of cardstock just brings out the "BAM!" effect! Pick ink colors to your "season" that you are starting in. I love using Summer Sun, Eggplant Envy, Garden Green and Not Quite Navy with Water Color Garden. Definitely have a Basic Black, Basic Brown, White Craft and Versamark in your collection - great starter pads to show off LOTS of techniques! Lots more options in the starter kit than when I started!!!Good luck to you! It's a great company to work with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 04:31 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't see where anyone has mentioned that you can speed up showing coloring by doing a little bit then pulling out a finished sample. That way they see how it is done, but don't have to watch you do the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 05:05 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

In Full Bloom has fast become my favorite. And...you can color or just stamp the flower(s). I did a card that was just the flowers stamped in black and used a red background with black behind the flower stamped on white, added a black and white gingham ribbon and it really looked nice. That makes it fast, but for the days you want to color, you can! And even then it doesn't take too long because they aren't minutely detailed like some of the stamps. The long skinny stamp in the set can be repeatedly stamped to make a background, too! LOVE THIS SET!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 05:40 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And who says coloring can't be fast? One of my biggest wows is making a little gift tag with garden green layered with US white on top. I stamp the dragonfly from Bunch of Bugs in black, then use the blender pen with the chalk to color him green. Just takes a sec, and everyone LOVES it! (I also use the dragonfly wheel on a white handled bag and wheel the corners of the tissue paper to match). Of course if you want them to start foaming at the mouth, you can whip out the two way glue pen and glitter for the dragonfly.

I agree! Don't purchase something because you think it will sell, purchase what you love and your enthusiasm for it will sell people on stamping!

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 06:12 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Go with the ones you want to work with and play with! But remember they may retire! There are no guarantees. When I do a class or workshop it is good to have a 2 step stampin set, a black line for aqua/watercolor - blender pens, and a more solid stamp to show off spectrum pads or the ease of getting a solid stamp image with the chalk inks. Have fun picking your sets and colors!

I would suggest buying the 1/2 off sets to add to your collection now, that is such an awesome deal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 06:39 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Welcome to the SU family! I love Simple Florals for coloring especially with the Stampin' Pastels. They are small enough to demo coloring at a workshop and they are gorgeous when finished! By all means, get the sets that you like in your kit. I did and I do not regret it at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 08:58 AM   #18  
The Digi-Freak

shapes and shadows!!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 09:53 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakimberly
shapes and shadows!!!!
Kimberly, is this your new fave? ;) I agree though, it's a great, easy, all around versatile set!! (I got it in my starter kit!!)

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 10:14 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Welcome! when I signed up I had been stamping for a while. I didn't like some of the sets so I got others. they all were retired the next catalog!!
You do take a risk when you order something else.
Also remember the sets that look good colored in many times look good using virsamark and pastels. I sold lots of pastels every time I demo this. In future workshops I build on the supplies people bought last time. Blender pens, embossing powder,dobers, sponges, etc. have a great time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 12:53 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

the only set i changed was perfect party--i really just didn't like it at all. i could imagine maybe 2 uses for them and both only worked with kids. i went for sketch a party instead.

i would not get summer by the sea in the kit--i'd order it. if you place your first order in march it will only set you back about $10 (you get 30% off your first order and this set is already 50% off in march). but i agree--it is a great set. but what i love most about it--you don't actually have to color it! i made a card in a class using this set and we used cotton balls to pick up color from ink pads (creamy caramel and close to cocoa) and blot it on a plain square background stamp. we stamped that on our cardstock and then did the little girl from summer by the sea over it in creamy caramel. no coloring, it was really quick to make and it looked wonderful! this set also works well for bleaching!

i'm with everyone else--get what you love and find a way to make it work (you will get plenty of help and the galleries are great if you are stumped for ideas!). if you get sets you don't like, you will never be inspired to use them for yourself or your customers. the only exception to this i might make is the plain background stamps like great shapes, simple shapes, shape-ups etc. they aren't the most exciting stamps but they are very versatile!
Reply With Quote Likes