Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-01-2004, 01:59 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone made a calendar?

I am thinking of making a calendar for the grandparents for Christmas this year. The ones where you print out the calendar months, and do a scrapbook type page on the back on the next month (does that make sense) :?. I am looking for any advice or ideas you may have. Or to tell me if you think it isn't worth the work [/i]
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2004, 02:08 PM   #2  
Glitter Queen

I'm thinking of doing some for the Grandparents, too! I'm not sure I'm up to all the work involved, but what a beautiful gift. Any helpful hints or shortcuts anyone can recommen? :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2004, 02:09 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I just finished 5 calendars. Last year I purchased a Calendar program from Office Max for $9.99 called Calendar Creator (ver. by Broderbund. I input all the family birthdays, anniversaries, and the holidays into the software. Then I printed out only the months I wanted (all of 2004). This year, I just had to go in and add the holidays that don't fall on the same date each year (i.e. Thanksgiving) and told it to print all the months for 2005 - all the birthdays and anniversaries transferred over. It's great! Then depending on which side of the family I doing a calendar for, I can take birthdays and anniversaries out that aren't necessary for that side of the family. You can also customize the size of the calendar. I made mine 7.5" x 7.5".

Anyway, I posted my calendar pages in my gallery if you want to take a peek. (see my link below - then double click on the 2005 Calendar pages box). I'm going to give my dad and DH parents an 8x8 scrapbook with the calendar so when the year is done, they can take the pages right off the calendar and put them in a book.

HTH Kendra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2004, 02:21 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Calendars

I'm currently working on 2 8-1/2 x 11 calendars for grandparents and a 6 x 6 calendar for my husband to take to his office. They do take time, but I think they are well worth it! I usually scrapbook pages for the grandparents anyway so this will just add to their albums. I haven't posted any pages yet but plan to do so. What I've noticed makes it really nice, is if you can match both pages of the calendar...meaning match at least the month title to the scrapbook page above. It just adds a lot and makes the calendar flow. I'm almost complete with my in-laws calendar and wish I would have added more background pages to the pictures rather than just stamping on the calendar page itself. (Does that make sense??) I think the scrapbook calendars are a great idea! I think it accomplishes two things at once!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2004, 02:24 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Thank you! Your gallery is so beautiful (I'm new to this site, but not to stamping so I'm loving all of the beautiful work!)!!!! Thank you for the calendar information. You're a lifesaver. If I start now, I think I can have something for everyone this Christmas.... if I start now... That is a great idea to include the scrapbook.. and what a great size not using 12 x 12...
thanks again for the wonderful information!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2004, 02:29 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I too have just started work on 2- 8 1/2 x 11 calendars for the grandparents. They just love them! As for hints, I don't have many----I just do them up like a regular scrapbook page. Before even beginning the calendar, I first go thru all my pictures from the whole past year and organize which pictures will go on which month---this way I can coordinate my colors etc. I also tend to "seasonalize" my pictures with which month I am on. (Snow pictures for Jan, Halloween for Oct. etc)

Have fun making them!!

Your pages are great Kendra!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2004, 04:52 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

i am making the 6x6 stampin up calendars now for family and they are awesome! i decided not to give one to my MIL so i can have one for myself! just incredibly cute! i don't have an album yet.....so email me if you want pics.....i don't have time to do a personal album tongiht...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2004, 05:37 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made these for quite a few people last year, parents, in-laws, grandparents, siblings, etc. So, I made one calender and then scanned it and printed it off my computer. I then took it and had it bound at the copy shop. Even when I figured in the price of my cardstock and ink it was a lot cheaper than taking it to Kinko's and having them copy it all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2004, 05:55 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default calender

I was just looking at one at a scrapebook store and they had one already done. It consisted of stamps, cardstock, tags, charms, and more. If it was a December month the the whole picture was done in all kinds of Christmas tiny charms and little furry Santa suits and boots. All of the cardstock was cut in all sizes, tags had things on them and then it had one card that you could either put a picture on or you could stamp and pretty or funny picture on it. I know I'm going to be making some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2004, 06:47 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Kendra,

Your calendar pages are wonderful! Such great inspiration - thanks. One question - did you have the pages bound at the copy center or how did you put them together?

Sharon

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/sharon_worley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2004, 06:54 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I make them for the grandparents every year and they are a HUGE hit. They are always commenting on how much they enjoy them all year so is it worth, YEAH!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2004, 07:15 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Default Re: Has anyone made a calendar?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber@Just4U
I am thinking of making a calendar for the grandparents for Christmas this year. The ones where you print out the calendar months, and do a scrapbook type page on the back on the next month (does that make sense) :?. I am looking for any advice or ideas you may have. Or to tell me if you think it isn't worth the work [/i]
I think its a great idea but before you print out the Months - add the special dates in for them - ie Birthdays, Anniversaries that type of thing and then its also personal for them!

Smiles

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2004, 04:35 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharon Worley
Kendra,

Your calendar pages are wonderful! Such great inspiration - thanks. One question - did you have the pages bound at the copy center or how did you put them together?
Sharon, I printed the calendars out on white cardstock & will have them spiral bound at Office Max. I think it's like $1.70 per calendar. The pages I have posted in the gallery will be attached to the calendar after they are bound. I've had problems in the past with them binding the calendars wrong so now I attach them later. Good grief, it's not rocket science, you think they could figure out how to bind a calendar - they are all the same! In any case, that's what works best for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2004, 04:47 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

My sister has made calendars every year.
She gets the huge pieces of construction paper and prints out a calendar then she takes art work from her children and that is the picture!

The chlildren always bring home so much artwork it's a nicer way than tossing it!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2004, 05:15 AM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default calendars

I make these every year! For my parents, in-laws, and gr' parents. Five in total because I make calendars for myself too. I have a blank calendar template I use every year. It has the months only on it. I then fill in the appropriate days for the month, write in everyone's bd and anniversary for the appropriate families. I use all my extra pictures that I won't be using in my scrapbooks and pictures that my boys draw throughout the year. Our families LOVE them!!

One year when I was very ill and took very few pictures, I used pictures of when the boys were babies. They loved seeing them even though they weren't the last years pictures, all commenting on how they "forgot" how little they used to be.

I then take the pages to a computer store and have them bound at the top. I sell these blank calendars (8.5 x 11) for $3 or 6 x 6 for $2 at a scrapbook crop I host 2x a year and they are a big hit.

Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2004, 05:24 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

kendra, wow, now i want to do a calendar. you did a great job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2004, 05:52 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I too make them up for grandparents and my brother and sisters. I usually use SU calendars and stamp and scrap the pages with the pics. I go through the pics from the past year and coordinate them with the months. I really like the SU calendars because then I can take the calendar, when the year is over and take them apart (the pages are perforated) and put them in a scrapbook. I usually use the 8-1/2 X 11 but last year I tried the 12 X 12 and actually liked it alot because there was more room on the page for pics and the scrapping/stamping. My family really enjoy getting them each year. It's also nice because then you make sure to put all the important dates on the calendar so there is no excuses for them not to know someone's birthday/anniversary/etc. is coming up. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2004, 05:57 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for the info Kendra. This is such a good idea. I have the calendar pages I printed out from the Papercrafts website that I thought I'd try and go from there.

Sharon

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/sharon_worley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2004, 06:03 AM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default calendars

I printed the one off of Papercraft site too! I like the 8x8 size.
Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2004, 06:57 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Has anyone made a calendar?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber@Just4U
I made one just printing out the calendar in an excel grid.
http://community.webshots.com/album/106319290DKFaPp
I was going to have the top spiral bound and I bought an easel that matched my dad's office furniture. But, I put the pages in the wrong order! He still liked it and mom made him put it in the sunroom so everyone could see.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2004, 07:04 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

You guys are wonderful!!!! I am going to try and make two of these for Christmas (maybe 3, so I can have one for myself ) Thank you for all the pictures and advice. Now I feel a little more comfortable making them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2004, 11:30 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

I used to make them for my husband each year (nothing as beautiful like yours Kendra) but now that I've started scrappin' and stampin' they have improved...(I did a baby first calendar for my 14 month old and completed the page the start of each month using a picture from the last day of the last month- to mark all those wonderful stages! I'm thrilled with it haha)

one hint if Christmas is a panic to have them completed (and for me it was every year despite my best intentions) I started giving them at Mother's Day (to gramma) and Father's Day for his office. After the first year of having to remove a calendar they had from Jan/ They just expect the new one each year to fill in the space from May-May or June to June.
THis would work for any bithday or occasion.
Kendra is your calendar in the calendar special collection?
Good luck to everyone with getting them done~ they are prize gifts for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2004, 12:50 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Lala - no they are not in that catagory. Jenn had just recently created that area & I didn't see it until mine were already uploaded so I decided to just leave them in my gallery. I'm glad you enjoyed the pages.
Reply With Quote Likes