Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #1  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has your pet ever done this to you?

Has something like this ever happened to you?

Yesterday I finished up several projects. They're all 3D projects using a new Big Shot die, for a blog hop that starts January 1 (you know, like today?).

Oh I'm so proud of myself. . . . honey, don't you think these turned out nice? . . . .So cute, lined up on the table. . . I bet they'll look even nicer after you photograph them in your new light box. . . let's do that after we run to the store--I want to pick up a few things before we go out tonight. . . .

So, off we go to the store for, at most 30 minutes. And when we get home,

THE DOG HAD EATEN MY PROJECTS!!!!

The dog who always is so good.

The dog who never gets into anything.

The dog whose toy collection just doubled, thanks to Santa Paws.

The dog whose daddy loads her chew toys with treats every time we leave the house.

The dog who has grown up so much since we adopted her last February.

I did manage to get two of my three projects recreated for the hop--but goodness gracious!

Tell me I'm not the only one who'd want to sit down and cry. . . . .
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

oh no!!! yikes. no, I don't have a dog. I'm sorry!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I knew there was a reason I dont have a pet....sorry that happened...sweet pooch though...blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, no, Holly! LOL, that's so hard, because when you look in their sweet little faces, it's hard to stay mad, but darn it! That's a lot of work to get eaten!

The first Christmas my dh and I were together, we had left the house for the evening only to return to find our (ok, dh's) 3 dogs had destroyed EVERY package under the tree. Why? They sniffed puppy treats in one of the packages sent from dh's mom. In doggy logic, apparently if one package has goodies, they all must...

((Holly)) It'll get better...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I am so sorry! I have three cats, and they are bad. We always finish the day by rating them on a scale from 0% to infinity. For example, "I have two bads today and one good. Magoo, you were 315% bad, today."

One day, I spent about 20 minutes coloring a bird. Luckily, it wasn't for anything special -- just practicing with gamsol. Anyway, I turned around for literally .2 seconds to look for another coloring stub -- I thought it had dropped on the ground.

I turn back. No bird. I cleaned my ENTIRE craft room. No bird. I went through the garbage. No bird. I was about to take two yellows and a white (Xanax), thinking I had imagined coloring the bird and was having a psychotic break, when I noticed Samson on his catnapper looking stressed. I went over there, and sure enough, the bird is stuck to the back of his leg.

I didn't even see him. In .2 seconds, he jumped on the table and absconded with my bird. I didn't even feel the brush of his fur as he went by.

So, while my situation wasn't nearly as frustrating as yours, I do commiserate!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

I thought only dappy dalmatians ate everything in sight!

When our Jazz was a puppy we soon learnt that we had to keep everything out of his reach. He's 6 now and mostly leaves everything but food alone - he knows right from wrong but where food's concerned he's a nightmare ( and he's big enough to reach things on the work surface).

I hope you can recreate your projects without too many tears!

cardmaking Susan

http://www.cardmaking-companion.com

http://www.cardmaking-companion-blog.com

Last edited by Cardmaking-Comp; 01-01-2010 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: mis -type
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

I never had a problem with my yorkie, she can't get up on anything except the sofa. I do have a cat who decided to relieve herself on several custom projects on the table in the craft room. Could not believe my eyes or nose!!!!! Very expensive kitty litter....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being a dog owner, I will hope that what ever the dog ingested will not be harmful to him?

Till my dogs have been trained in house manners, they are not allowed in my craft/computer studio. Things are always kept up on a table, so out of their reach anyway.

I'm sorry for your problem, but we as humans do learn the hard way.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Yep, Cosmo the crazy dog ate pretty much any and everything that wasn't food. I miss that now . . .

My gallery
--- My blog: Inking Aloud
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

My big dog likes to pick out paper scraps from the garbage can in my scrap room. I don't know why she likes to chew on paper so much. Can't leave empty toilet paper rolls in the open wastebin in the bathroom, either. She'll pull those out, too.

My friend's cat like to steal her pictures. She has to turn them upside down and set something on top.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Such funny stories - I have three way fat cats and right now I'm using a space that was a bar area (previous owners had quite the setup) and right in front of it is the stairwell - the cats like to lay on the stairs and stare at me - only problem is they also like to launch themselves from the stairs to the bar top which would be bad enough except that they are so fat they don't realize the momentum they are building and usually slide right off the top taking everything in it's way. Luckily my 5 lb. Chihuahua Dominic is to0 small to do the stairs otherwise he would be attempting to eat everything in his path. Yes we do love our animals!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

When Lucky was a puppy, he LOVED handmade paper, or any paper with texture. He also loved to chew on rubber stamps. Luckily, he would only chew the blocks, not the rubber die, so I could unmount them. Once he chewed up a brand new, pristine Stampin Up set i had just bought. I was SO mad, I made DH buy me a new one, since technically, Lucky is his dog. Well, I also managed to sell the chewed set on Ebay for more than half of the price of a new set, but I did not tell DH, LOL! (Of course, I described the damage to the bidders, and they still bid.)

Leesa, my chihuahua, has always been a good girl. of course, we got her at 3.5 yrs. Lester, our new guy, is 6 months old, and a holy terror. I keep him locked out of the craft area with a baby gate when no one is here. The first day he was left alone, he decided to chew on some sizzix border dies, and leftlittle teeth marks in the foam. Never again, Lester!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Oh yes...they can get into everything! Just remember you did a wonderful thing by adopting her. She didn't mean it...she's a dog - she can't possibly understand and it wasn't intentional.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovellView Post
My big dog likes to pick out paper scraps from the garbage can in my scrap room. I don't know why she likes to chew on paper so much. Can't leave empty toilet paper rolls in the open wastebin in the bathroom, either. She'll pull those out, too.

My friend's cat like to steal her pictures. She has to turn them upside down and set something on top.
LOL.....my youngest dog (well, she's almost 5 now) eats paper scraps from my recycle bin....even though it's covered, she pokes around to see if she can get a scrap out to munch. She has also eaten a corner out of a pack of PTI cardstock (a brand new one, mind you). The best was when she ate the corner out of a scrapbook page I was working on (when she was a puppy) about what a demon she was when she was a puppy. I put it in the scrapbook with an arrow next to it that says "I arrest my case." If left unattended, the scrapbook room door is ALWAYS closed.

So Holly, you're SO not alone
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Loved that you creatively turned the situation into poetry on your blog! Beautiful work and a beautiful "puppy"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Oh no, Holly!! Bad dog! I wonder what got into him?

My dog has never done that. He's only try it if I made pepperoni scented creations.

CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Holly..it is so frustrating when that happens! I have a bird dog who LOVES paper and chipboard. The only difference is that mine is constantly a little naughty and onrie...that "always good" thing never applies in our house.

Stamp S'More

Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

All of my projects contain at least one pet hair.

When I decide to craft, one of the cats decides to plop right in the middle of my table.

But we love them anyway!

Karen S
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Holly, when my dog was in trouble once, he sent me this card...

Front: Oops! Sorry...(front) by MSBetsyZ at Splitcoaststampers
Inside: Oops! Sorry...(card open) by MSBetsyZ at Splitcoaststampers

Perhaps somebody could suggest to the pup that he owes you a nice apology, lol?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Let's see lately our 1 year old pug (we also have an 8 year old pug and a 10 year old beagle):

Ate my 6 year old sons sneakers. The only other shoes he owned were a pair of crocs, which were a no-no to wear to school, so I had to write his teacher a note so he could wear the until we could go shopping. He still heard all day from the other kids "your not supposed to wear crocs!"

2 weeks before Christmas he ate my new purse, a board game that was supposed to be a birthday present for another child, the elf on the shelf book.

And here is the kicker. He turned 1 on Dec 9th so he has not seen a christmas tree. So we only decorated the tree 2/3 of the way up so he could not eat the ornaments. Well I came home from taking my son to swimming and the Pug (Frankie) had something in his mouth and I said spit it out and a Christmas bulb shot across the room. We found more. He had eaten the small multi-colored Christmas lights off out tree. This deserved a call to the emergency vet, who told us to take the watch and wait approach. Amazingly everything came out alright if you know what I mean. ;)

What's next???

But I love him to death. He makes me laugh every day and I would not trade him for anything in the world. :-D

Katie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts

Oh the stories I could tell. Instead, I'll just share three pictures.

And yes, I wouldn't trade any one of them for anything in the world!
Attached Thumbnails
Has your pet ever done this to you?-jbear_scraps_small.jpg   Has your pet ever done this to you?-tink_helps_stamp.jpg   Has your pet ever done this to you?-scrap_on_hiphop_012209.jpg  
I Blog at The BunnyNest
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Yikes, I don't blame you for being devastated. I think a good cry would be in order. Our dogs have never gone after my projects. They stick to food. One dog devoured an entire package of burger meat, wrapper and all. I had it pushed it all the way back on the counter and he still got it. The worst was our dog who ate an entire box of chocolates that was wrapped and under the Christmas tree. I guess she liked the smell. And then she barfed the whole thing up on our white carpet. I was ready to pitch her out the door after that one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a terror of a kitty. She likes to lay down in the middle of my layouts, she had stickles in her fur for a while once...... She also likes to climb into my scraps box and pull out paper and shred it. I used to keep the strip scraps of paper on my desk in a little jar. She started to chew on them one by one and pick out the skinny ones to run off with. I invested in a water bottle =D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Oh dear!!!! My pup loves to grab my stamps and destroy them so now I have to be sure to put up the gate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Oh I would definitely cry! Pets always seem to choose the worst possible times to be naughty. Luckily, my craft room is upstairs so my dog has never been in there (she's supposed to be an outside dog, but I take pity on her during the really cold days), but my cats are another story. They love the ribbon and think a layout is a place to take a nap!

Can't wait to check out your projects!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #26  
Watercolor Wizard

Thanks for sharing, y'all--I always thought 'the dog ate my homework' was just an excuse. . . .

As for the little perp, she is all wiggles and wags today, ready to play and none the worse for her paper nosh.

Fortunately, I hadn't put the candy in anything, and my embellies were metallic cardstock, a few dabs of shimmer paint and an eyelet or two. We fed her some extra bread and peanut butter last night, so hopefully the *sob* remains of my projects will just be a little extra fiber for her.

We still can't figure out how she even *saw* them; they were near the center of the dining room table.

Besty, when your dog sent that cute little 'Oops' card, she didn't happen to feel an urge to add a gift card, did she?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

I'm so sorry! I have totally been there before and it makes me soooo mad! At our house though I think half the time the cat is able to get to the things and knocks them down for the dogs...maybe he likes to get them in trouble...or maybe they really can climb on the cabinets and tables when we are gone. Who knows! My inlaws dogs always eat anything that FedEx or UPS drops off at the house as well...so we have had many of these experiences around here. I think it is so frustrating! She is a super cute dog though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #28  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holly I am so sorry. How disappointing.
To all the cat owners, and probably dogs too. The developer they use for photos is poison to animals, and guess what, it tastes great to them.
We almost lost our cat earlier this year. The vet couldn't figure out why he was near death. $500 worth of testing later all was inconclusive and we were just waiting for him to die.
long story short, We found out he had been licking photos for some time. once we took them away and the antibiotics kicked in he was (is) fine. Just an fyi since we all have many photos laying about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

LOLROTF Holly, this cracks me up because the one time my dog did this was with some convention swaps YOU sent me!!! There were those chocolates in the little match box and I think the smell must have transferred on to some of the cards, so my little 9 lb. mini dachshund tore into the opened box in my craft room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollylogicView Post
Besty, when your dog sent that cute little 'Oops' card, she didn't happen to feel an urge to add a gift card, did she?
Oh, it was just a given, lol...;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

My Jack Russell has what borders on an obsessive paper fetish. Scraps, full sheets, cardboard, toilet paper rolls. It doesn't matter. If it comes from paper pulp she wants it. makes a huge mess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #32  
Mad Swapper

Our dog often has a glittery tail. Seems like the minute I get glitter out he "bumps" into my chair and ends up wearing some. DH doesn't think it is as pretty as I do though. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #33  
Kookie Creator

OH Scrapacat -- your babies are SO PRECIOUS. I had a lop-earned rabbit when I was a little girl, and he ate the carpeting all the way around the edge of every room. We were moving and had sold our house, not knowing about the carpet because of the furniture. We had to replace the entire house's carpeting before the new owners would take possession. Our next house had all hardwoods. We won't discuss what rabbits' nails do to hardwoods. My poor Dad!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

I've loved reading all the previous stories of what your pets have done. How funny.... I have a cat and put a basket on my table so she can come lay in it while I make my cards so she won't want to "mess with my stuff".

One day though, while working with FlowerSoft making bouquets, she kept knocking down my spool of thread. I went off to bed and forgot about it, got up the next morning and she had gotten it loose and not only wound it all around the legs of the table, but ate some as well!! Long story short, and $3K later, they had to remove that thread from her stomach...... I now am extremely cautious about what I leave laying around for her to eat of my crafting supplies!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

These all made me laugh so much. I just had an "incident" this past Christmas time.

I have this big, muscle bound male cat called Max, who feels like he weighs fifty pounds. We call him the weightlifter cat. But his personality is just like that of a rambunctious three year old boy child: into everything, always on the go, causing trouble, noisy, inquisitive....you get the picture. But, not too much of a lap cat, and not one to spontaneously jump on my lap out of nowhere. So I could not believe what he did. And yet it was also so typical of him to "get into trouble".

I was rushing to catch the post to send a special card to an old friend overseas. I was on my sofa writing a note in the card. The card was mostly white and some pastels, with a baby blue bow. Pristine condition. I was almost done and about to place it in the envelope.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, I hear this bumping sound as Max comes hurtling through the cat flap from outside. Next thing I know, he is careening into the living room at full speed, spots me on the sofa, and with impeccable timing, leaps up in the air and comes crashing down into my lap. He had been playing outside in the wet, dirty, slushy snow!:twisted: With great restraint,:rolleyes: I move him aside and see my prepared card and envelope, now crushed, torn and full of dirty paw prints. It was so funny, all I could do was laugh about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

I now am extremely cautious about what I leave laying around for her to eat of my crafting supplies!!!!

This is so true. I've heard of cats getting sick from swallowing threads and other stuff. I too take great care what I left exposed on my work desk. A lot of things in our craft areas can make our pets sick. Thanks for the reminder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

i just wanna know if her poop looked like confetti the next day?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

We have 4 cats, and one in particular has a paper/ribbon/"anything that's important to Mommy" fetish.

Besides constantly tipping over my garbage every night to take my scrap pieces of cardstock, she also thinks it's fun to eat ribbon. Notice I said eat, not play!

One time, my husband and I returned home from a camping trip.We walked in the house, and this one cat in particular was looking especially guilty and a little "uncomfortable." As I went to pick her up, she ran away from me, and we saw what looked like poo hanging from her butt. We caught her, and as we began to help her clean her little bum, we realized that the "poo" was actually the beginning of 2 YARDS OF ORGANZA RIBBON inside of her...not even joking. Poor kitty then had to endure what was likely the most painful and embarrasing few minutes of her life, as we gently pulled the entire length of ribbon out of her backside.

We were very lucky, as she was fine immediately after, (except for giving us the silent treatment for the rest of the day) and we never had to take her to the vet.

I had always been careful about locking up my ribbon before this incident, but the sneaky kitty must have snuck off with a spool when my back was turned or something. Either way, I have since been crazy-careful with my ribbon. Now I keep my ribbon in a box with a snap lid, and that box is kept in a cupboard, and when I need ribbon, I take my scissors to the cupboard, open the ribbon box, and snip the piece I need. There is no chance my kitty can sneak past me then!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

Oh my gosh, how funny, and how lucky for you!!!! With my cat, they took x-rays and sonograms for a week and couldn't find the thread, we just guessed, did she eat any? She was not eating food or water and throwing up, that's why they finally decided to do surgery. You're lucky the ribbon was thicker and showed up so fast. My vet said those types of things can twist around their intestines and do a lot of damage. He only saw the thread when he put her out to do a test and noticed it at the back of her tongue!!! It was too long and fine to pull from her mouth, so they had to do the surgery. You were really lucky the ribbon didn't get caught up!! I can see why you're so VERY cautious now with it (sorry I'm laughing), but all of us pet lovers have been there, done that about certain things with our pets, and are OVERLY SENSITIVE about doing certain things around them....are we not????? But, we still love them, and couldn't live without them!!!!!

That was a great story, by the way, one I'll never forget!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 04:29 AM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

So sorry Holly! Pets can be so unpredictable about what they want to do. We have a weimaraner that loves to be around people and will let you know when he is unhappy that you leave. Last year I had bought a big tube of Martha Stewart gold glitter that I left on a table in my craft closet. You can figure out what happened next! For the next week I could scoop in the moonlight if I needed too. The funniest part was that we got gold glitter kisses for several days! Fortunately the vet wasn't worried.
Reply With Quote Likes