Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-07-2007, 07:28 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heirlooms Rubber Stamp and Paper Arts Festival

I'm plannning a "field trip" for my current hostess club to go to this Heirloom festival in Indianapolis on March 3rd.
http://www.heirloompro.com/shows-Ind...s-03-3-07.html
Six of us are going and I'm so excited, can't wait! Even thought I've never heard of most of these vendors on the list, still can't wait. Have any of you ever been to one of these (they also bought out Auntie Amy's Conventions I guess). Just wondering what to expect for sure. I am ordering our tickets in advance. I've heard to bring a tote and a camera.

Any other advice/experiences would be appreciated! THANKS!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 08:08 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I've gone to the Heirloom Show in our area for 7 years now - it's always fun to be in a room with other people who are just as crazy about stamping! A few more pieces of advice:
- Bring along a little notebook to jot down notes about products (so you remember why you had to have that certain little bottle of gooey stuff), card ideas, etc. Also a good idea to have a small stapler so you can staple vendors' business cards into the book with notes on what you'd like to purchase in the future
- Work out a budget, and bring that amount along in cash (so you don't have to mess with pulling out a CC, plus you won't be tempted to buy too much)
- Wear comfy shoes!!!!!! And bring Advil or Tylenol for the headache you'll have before the day is over.
- Bring a backpack to carry all your purchases; much less strain on the back as opposed to bags slung over your arm.
- Bring your own food (including something like a power bar for a quick pick-me-up), lunch, and several bottles of water. More money to buy fun stuff!!
- Bring a camera with extra batteries and memory card. The vendors will have lots of samples on display!
- Enjoy!
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 09:15 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to the show in Grapevine, TX put on by the same people.

Lasting impressions had Kai scissors for $12.
Marcos paper had great deals and they had a great drawing even gave away a Score-it and Wizard Embosser.
You can also sign up for their mailing list and get a coupon for $2 off.
They also have black glossy paper I know some people like even just to mount photos.
My favorite though was MorningStar stamps. She had the cute little tags they are clear but come in different colors and you can stamp on them. Check out her website www.morningstarstamps.com
I also just posted my first card with those tags in my gallery. I got every color and shape they had and they were only $1.50 for a bag of 20 tags.

My advice is to check out the websites of the companies you like that way you can zero in on what you like when you get there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 09:39 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I have been to their shows down here in Atlanta. Lots of fun stuff. I love Morning Star Stamps. They have wonderful stuff and she is super nice. Another favorite is Endless Creations. I buy a ton of their stuff. Take a camera. Everyone takes pictures. There are lots of samples and lots of make and takes - cards usually. Marco's is a great paper source - people walk out with tons of paper. Many people hit it first, take their paper to the car and return to do the rest of the show. The one here in Atlanta is during spring break this year so I am go to miss it - I'm bummed. Go and have lots of fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

WOW, thank you for all of this great info! I'm even more excited now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 02:51 PM   #6  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Heirloom just started coming to my neck of the woods. Apparently it is a small in comparison to the other Heirloom conventions but I could barely get around to all the booths as it was. This year, my friend won the give away at Marcos for the wizard embosser and I won the Score-it. :-D Go figure - - we have never won anything before this.

As far as recommendations, the first year we went to the "back" of the hall and started working forward so that we missed as much of the crowds as possible.

Lugging all the stuff around that you buy was our biggest struggle so if you have something you can use as a shopping cart that would be good to take -- even a suitcase with wheels, depending on how much you intend to buy ;) .

Definitely try to plan ahead by checking out the vendors that are going to be there on the website, even make a list of the ones you want to see the most. Then when you arrive, check the "map" of the facility for those booths and go there first.

If you know you are going to visit a 'favorite' vendor, take along a list of their products you already have so you don't double up. (I can't tell you how many times I've wondered "do I already have that"?). I have far too much stash to do that for everything but for example I love RubberStampTapestry but I can never remember which sets I have so I made a list of those before I went this year.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2007, 01:24 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I love all of this great info and advice! I just received my groups' advance tickets in the mail today - getting very excited!!!

I have one more question - for those of you in the Indianapolis area: We're also hoping to stop at a JoAnn's Etc. or a Michael's while we're over there in Indy since there are none around here. So can you tell me if there are any in the vicinity of the IN State Fairgrounds (where the festival is). We prefer JoAnn's but Michael's would be ok too since I think they take J's coupons.

Y'all are so helpful, just thought I'd ask!!! THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2007, 03:14 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

You won't need to stop at either once you see all the stuff you can buy at the show. There will be vendors selling just about anything you might need! Seriously , though I don't know your area so I can help you out with where the stores are. One more tip about the show - it is proper to ask if you can take picutures or to at least look to see if a vendor has a sign asking that you NOT take pics. My experience was that most didn't mind, but a few did. Have fun! I am so envious. I will have to miss the show in MA this year. Be sure to report back and tell us what you bought!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2007, 03:18 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Take a paper keeper (either envelope or slim box type) big enough for 12x12 papers. Then you can slip your paper purchases in there to keep them from getting creases. You'd hate to get home to find dented paper.

Write down a quick inventory of things you already have, so you can see what you might want to go along with those things (or not to duplicate!). If you have a paper swatch, take that to find coordinating items.

Digital camera if you have one. Take photos of all the wonderful examples, especially of products you buy. Looking at them on the computer when you get home is a great resource. (Printed film photos just won't give you the same detail).

Comfy shoes! Aching feet really take the fun out of the day.

~ Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2007, 03:57 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

The main reason I was interested in going to a JoAnn's Superstore or Michael's is for Cuttlebug stuff. Do they have that at this festival? I guess I'll find out, huh! ;) Thanks for those tips, especially the paper keeper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Nothing ever comes to my neck of the woods, so it was nice to see something happening in July. Already sent hubby a notice :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2007, 05:02 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Turn left at the front door. The vast majority of folks turn right upon entering a room (or so I've read). Ditto the go to the back first. Don't buy heavy things early or ask the vendor to hold them. Go around the room once and see everything before buying anything. You may wish you had saved your money. Also, this is a great time to avoid shipping charges. I say forget the cash, bring the credit card!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2007, 05:25 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ohhh sounds like fun! Let us know how it goes!

I'm pretty sure I shut my blog down til further notice! Perhaps forever!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Joan, those are GREAT ideas! I never would have thought to go left first but that makes a lot of sense! We will do that!

I will let you all know how it is!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2007, 09:22 PM   #15  
Linking Queen

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I went to 2 HP shows and enjoyed both. I also attended one Auntie Amy show and had a great time there too. The classes can be pricy (but not more than usual) so look for ones you and your group are interested in. You may decide to each take one class and agree to share what you learn. Sometimes there are free classes. I was lucky to take one with MaryJo McGraw and one by the lady that owns Stamp Zia (Zana Clark?). I won a set of her beautiful color washes! Another highlight was having Dee Gruenig make me a bookmark from a set I selected. It's autographed too!

I don't have other suggestions that have not already been mentioned but did want to post a link to a related thread that I hope you will post to after the event:

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Happy Crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2007, 01:58 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Tah Dah summed it all up. I went to my first show last year and was awesome. But yes you do have to take a notebook to jot down any techniques and ideas you see. I forgot to do this.

So I USED A BUSINESS CARD From the vendor. listed any products and such that I needed later on for a special technique or card sample I may have seen. And the website is usually on the front of the business card.

Sometimes they have samples you can take also. which I used for any notes. This way you won't forget wwhat vendor you need to go back for.or check out the website later for anything you may have forgotten. Since there are so many of them.

Last year we had a very first art stamp show and they are coming back again. Hopefully with more vendors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2007, 02:24 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

make sure you take plenty of money and a lunch, You will need it because you won't want to stop shopping. We went and there was about 14 of us total. we all brough are lunches. Some ladies has full loaves of bread,a dish with brownies, are table was loaded with food. You would thing we were serving everyone there. My demos sisters brought it all in. It was like a feast. they had it in there cars.

I just bought this awesome tote on ebay.on wheels.it's collapsible ,waterproof for about 25.00 which includes the shipping and insurance.Can't wait to have this for the show.it's all black polyester.you just put all your papers in the front pocket. Then any items you buy in the big section of this bag.it's 23 " high, 14" wide and 7" depth. It will fit all my goodies in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2007, 02:42 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Bring a sheet of home address stickers with your email of vendor record.
You can use them to enter drawings and get on mailing lists.

I last went to Heirloom in Allentown April 2006. There were lots of unmounted vendors. It is good to get to touch the rubber and see the quality before you buy.

Also, gasp, if you buy non-SU inks, bring a list of what you own--all those color names start sounding alike.

As mentioned, the Marco paper booth is great. I bought a Wizard just on the strength of the demonstration. It turned into a WWIT purchase, since I could never get it to work Sizzix dies. I almost bought the score-it, and might next time, if I can unload the Wizard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2007, 03:22 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

TeeGeeDee, Thank you so much for the link to that thread! I just went over and posted so I could subscribe. There's another lady going to the same show in San Mateo before the one so I'll be watching to see what she posts for sure!!!

We didn't sign up for any classes. None of us had been there and didn't really know how those work. Plus we want to have lots of time to just shop and absorb everything. We'll know the do's and don'ts for next time. ;)

For those of you who took your lunch - I do have this on my list. Is there usually a place to eat your own food inside? Or do you have to go back out to your vehicle? I don't know how far away we'll have to park but like someone mentioned, we may not want to stop shopping! LOL I'm guessing, since there are food vendors there, that you are not allowed to bring your own food in.

parsnip, thank you for the tip about the address labels. I was actually wondering if I should take some business cards just for this reason - drawings and mailing lists. I've not added that to my "take" list!!!! And I'm glad there are lots of unmounted stamp vendors!

Lisa62, The only wheeled thing I have is a cropper tote thingy. But it might be just a little bigger than the one you mentioned. I wondered if it would be too big of a pain to wheel it through the crowd???? Hmmm......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2007, 03:23 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I've not added that to my "take" list!!!!
Of course I mean I've NOW added that to my take list! I got so excited I didn't proof! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2007, 05:38 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I do not see the "clear cards" at morning star. What am I doing wrong?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2007, 09:05 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

parsnip,

Love the idea of the address labels, better than signing my address 50 times.just slap this down and i'm off to the next vendor and not wasting too much time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2007, 06:58 PM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to San Mateo on Sunday. Have been there before. There are tables set up for eating. You COULD got out to your car to get your food but it's easier to bring it in to save time. They have food for sale there, also, but it's not very appealing to me, anyway. But OK if you're starving !!!! Have lots of fun. Wear comfy shoes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2007, 05:03 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Cathy, THANKS for the info about food tables! I really didn't expect that they'd let you bring your own food inside if they had food vendors there selling it. Good news!

Have a great time in San Mateo and let me know how it is!!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2007, 12:27 PM   #25  
Linking Queen

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMBlessed5
TeeGeeDee, Thank you so much for the link to that thread! I just went over and posted so I could subscribe. There's another lady going to the same show in San Mateo before the one so I'll be watching to see what she posts for sure!!!

We didn't sign up for any classes. None of us had been there and didn't really know how those work. Plus we want to have lots of time to just shop and absorb everything. We'll know the do's and don'ts for next time. ;)

For those of you who took your lunch - I do have this on my list. Is there usually a place to eat your own food inside? Or do you have to go back out to your vehicle? I don't know how far away we'll have to park but like someone mentioned, we may not want to stop shopping! LOL I'm guessing, since there are food vendors there, that you are not allowed to bring your own food in.

parsnip, thank you for the tip about the address labels. I was actually wondering if I should take some business cards just for this reason - drawings and mailing lists. I've not added that to my "take" list!!!! And I'm glad there are lots of unmounted stamp vendors!

Lisa62, The only wheeled thing I have is a cropper tote thingy. But it might be just a little bigger than the one you mentioned. I wondered if it would be too big of a pain to wheel it through the crowd???? Hmmm......
You're welcome! I look forward to reading the updates (including yours). While classes are popular, they do not always fill up in advance so ask if there are any openings when you get your admission ticket (hand stamp).

I read once somewhere that not all venues allow wheeled totes, so try to find out beforehand (or have a backup plan). I chose to use a backpack (easier on the back) but also made several trips to my car (the event was in Sept.) where I had a cardboard box large enough for 12x12 paper, and another box to contain other purchases. I did not want anything shuffling around on the drive home.
The one I went to was held at a fairgrounds so there were tables set up under tents but only 1 or 2 vendors selling food (at ridiculously high prices) but it was nice to get fresh air (the venue was inside a pavilion.) I also loaded a small cooler (the ones designed to hold 12 cans of soda) and had several water bottles (one was frozen to help keep the other stuff cool), juice, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (protein and sugar for a jolt of energy). And, since I might have gotten hungry before needing/wanting a rest, I put some snacks in the backpack (pretzels, some Hershey nuggets, and some hard candy.) I took the snacks and one beverage with me and left the rest in the car until I unloaded/reloaded.

It's hard to stop shopping but it is also overwhleming to see so much stuff, so I took an actual break for lunch and reviewed my notes (a notebook is essential - and bring more than one pen in case it skips etc.) I then revised my game plan and continued shopping. I also took a pencil to write brief descriptions of what I purchased on the back of my receipts. Most vendor receipts only show amount/quantity and do not describe what was purhcased. This is very helpful if you want more later (most vendors have online stores and/or theor stuff is sold in retail locations). A pen does not always work because of a coating on the receipt.

If you intend to buy unmounted stamps, bring some larger zip close bags and a Sharpie marker. Place all the purchases from that vendor in the baggie and label it. Unmounted don't have manufacturer info on the back and this is a quick way to know where you bought each die from. Once you are home, write the mfr info on the back of each die (UM image) for future reference. Most vendors will have handheld mirrors available so you can tell what the image is but if the booth is busy (which usually means a great grab bag deal), you'll be glad to have your own mirror.

And, I know someone must have suggested wearing comfortable shoes. If you can, put a fresh pair of insoles in them for extra cushioning and support. I love the gel kind!

Wow, I wish there was one near me soon!

Happy Crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2007, 12:35 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you once again! Lots of great info! We just had Pizza Hut last night - I think I will use that box to keep my paper in on the way home!!!!

Also, the ziploc baggie/sharpie idea for labeling unmounteds - excellent idea!

12 more days!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes