Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP! Craft-Specific Resume?

Next week I will be interviewing for an instructor position at a new craft store opening soon. Has anyone ever created a craft-specific resume before? All of my background and work experience is in accounting. I have been a SU demo for 5 years and hold classes in my home. I have also been scrapping for many years, but only as my own hobby. I also dabble with acrylic painting and cake decorating, again as my own hobby. I have sold stamped items at craft fairs before as well.

I have no idea how to go about putting any of this on a resume and whether or not to include any of my accounting related experience/education. Help!
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 11:12 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I don't have any experience of writing a craft resume but I'd say they're going to be interested in your crafting experience, your teaching experience and your communication skills so I'd focus on those (which might mean mention of your accounting work since you undoubtedly have communication experiences there that may be different from those during workshop sessions in your own home and will demonstrate that you can adapt according to circumstance).

I think your "dabbling" shows your enthusiasm for all things crafty so even though you say those have been your own hobby activities, you might still want to work those in. The fact that your stamped items are of saleable quality is also going to be attractive I would have thought so I'd work that in there, too.

Best of luck with the interview!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vanessa....I have a portfolio of various items I've made. I've written a one page description of how I got started in each of the craft areas I have in my portfolio. I use 2 12x12 albums (I guess a scrapbooker would use the same kind of album) and have the items grouped with the description page with each category.

When I've gone for interviews relating to crafting, I put in the front of the album the craft that I will be focusing on for job. For instance, when I interviewed at Michaels a few years ago, I put my paper crafting items in the front in specific categories.

Under separate cover I had a write-up of my teaching experience and skills in the crafting industry. I included separately my professional Corporate work experience resume. I felt that it would show my ability to understand the Corporate world. I wanted the interviewer to understand that I had experience, knowledge and interest in more than just crafting.

I think you also have to consider the type of business whether it's a chain store or privately owned craft store. The level of the classes you would be teaching, whether it's a formal or casual setting. These are things that I would take into consideration when preparing for the interview.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

When I interviewed for a teacher position (and got it) at my LSS, i brought along my teaching resume (i'm a high school teacher) as well as my crafting "portfolio" which consisted of a scrapbook with my best layouts, and an altered lunch pail with my cards inside so I could kill two birds with one stone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

I recently had to submit one for an interview with Paper Source; I made it short and sweet, outlining my previous retail experience (actually going back to college - made sure to include my accuracy stats), my LSS teaching experience and my previous professional experience (all in the field of international trade). I included a small paragraph of what I had been doing in the craft field for the last 6 or so years. I kept it to one page and brought my publication porfolio with me to the interview. HTH & good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I only wish I had more experience - teaching and having my work published. I also wish I had kept a portfolio all these years. Hopefully I can highlight my best.

For those who have portfolios, how exactly do you showcase your work? Did you take pictures of cards and projects you've made and have those in an album? Or do you have actual cards and scrapbook layouts that you take with you to the interview?

Thanks again ladies! I knew I could count on all of you here on SCS to help me out!
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 02:19 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

you're stamping demo should be a good qualification.
Use words like -organized assembly for crafting of cards,
demoed new products, customer oriented, etc

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by nessastampsView Post
...For those who have portfolios, how exactly do you showcase your work? Did you take pictures of cards and projects you've made and have those in an album? Or do you have actual cards and scrapbook layouts that you take with you to the interview?...
I use a multi-ring presentation case. This is similar: http://www.dickblick.com/products/pr...entation-case/
You can order refill sheet protectors separately. The 11" x 14" size is large enough to take magazine tear sheets and still have a border.

For items that are not published with tear sheets available, I take photos and print them at 8" x 10" size. I do not put the actual items in the case.

Designers have different views about how to put together a professional portfolio. Some people include everything they've ever done, perhaps over 40 or 50 pages. My feeling is that I want to showcase my 10 or 12 best. Otherwise, it can become overwhelming. With a multi-ring binder, you can swap out the pages and tailor it to the opportunity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Vanessa....I put the actual items I've made in my portfolio. I want it to show the detail and actual materials I've used. I don't put everything I've ever made, just a good representation to show my style.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Very interesting thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Just curious if teaching at a local craft store using things they sell could possibly conflict with the SU contract that you are under being a demo for them? Hope not but thought it should be considered or pointed out. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacpamView Post
Just curious if teaching at a local craft store using things they sell could possibly conflict with the SU contract that you are under being a demo for them? Hope not but thought it should be considered or pointed out. Good luck!
you're right. you're not allowed to be a SU! Demo and work at an LSS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I have already considered that, and I appreciate you ladies looking out for me, but here is my unique (and all-too conveniently-timed) situation. I am currently in pending status. If I were to get the position at this craft store, I would simply not get myself out of pending status and would lose my demo-ship. If I do not get the position, then I will take measures to regain active status and continue my demo-ship. Thanks again for the input.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 03:11 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Vanessa: First, for the resume: Follow a basic resume style, but under experience, you should have your formal education and then a section for relevant workshops, classes, etc. Under experience, title the first section, "Relevant Experience." In this section, list the experiences in the craft area. Then, in a separate category, for instance, "Other Professional Experience," list positions such as the accounting. Both are important--the one to show your creativity, knowledge of materials, etc. and the other to demonstrate your ability to communicate, that you know how to be a reliable employee and team member, and so forth. If it applies, you could also have a section under experience that lists volunteer experience. Both for the resume and interview, keep in mind the concept of transferable skills. These are skills that you may have gained in a totally unrelated job--communication, flexibility, the ability to learn new things quickly, marketing, etc. When you think in this way, you can often see many strengths you have to offer. Again, in the interview, you want to stress what you bring to the job that is going to make the employer's work load easier rather than why you want the job.

As for the portfolio, everyone should begin assembling a base portfolio from which relevant documents, etc. can be selectively chosen for a specific need. This should include a basic, all inclusive resume with dates, salaries, changes in responsibility, number of people supervised, budget responsibilities, planning, complete current address information for references, etc.; copies or originals of documents you may need to produce when hired such as social security card, birth certificate and so forth. The portfolio should include copies of detailed job descriptions, certificates for trainings completed, awards, photos of creative work, etc. We are talking a file box here that will hold this information in a centralized place so when you find a job you want, you can pull out the information/documentation you need for that specific purpose which can then be placed in a binder as suggested by Judi M. Don't let the fact that you may be missing pieces from your past stop you from beginning now to build that portfolio. And don't try to shape your basic portfolio to one specific purpose. This is a resource for creating a more relevant application. The person who gets the job is not necessarily the most experienced. It is the person who convinces the hirer that s/he will benefit that person the most. Good luck. I will now get off my soapbox and go to bed (as it is 4am!). Pat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

I'd like to add my two cents to the debate about Craft Specific Resumes. TenTalentsStudio gave some terrific resume advice. I have a foot in both worlds, the crafting and the business world. I have been a consultant (data processing) for a very long time, and have written more resumes than I can shake a stick at. You want to highlight the world in which you are applying (crafting) and add the details of the world in which you currently reside (accounting). That's exactly what TenTalentsStudio advised.
The portfolio is an excellent suggestion. I have one for my writing (data processing). I keep it current and as I work on new projects, I add to it. I provide samples when I interview. In fact, I use folders (the kind kids use to present school reports), my resume and contact information on one side, samples on the other side. It helps me stand apart from the 'competition' and makes it all look professional.
However, I would differ from TTS in that I would not include information of a personal nature. There is no way to know in whose hands this portfolio will fall. If that information is not responsibly kept, or responsibly disposed of, you may have headaches you did not count on. I would only put in examples of types of work you have done or techniques you are familiar with, along with your resume. Short and sweet. You want to stand out in the admission process, yet you do not want to force the person reviewing your qualifications to take more than a few minutes to get a 'feel' of who you are and where your talents lay.
Good luck - you are selling a commodity you know the most about - YOURSELF!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

thanks to everyone for their wisdom and experiences. I too, am looking to put together a "crafty" resume and hope to use some of these points. thanks everyone!
kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

(ooops sorry to the OP, I just realized that the comment I have below is a total hijack!!!! Hope your interview went well and I have nothing to add then the other contributors have)

I understood that you can be a SU demo and work at another LSS as long as you are not conflicting the 2 ( ie. you are at the LSS and while teaching you are upselling your SU business and supplies. Or vice versa, while doing a SU workshop you are using product that is not SU).
*FYI- I am not in this position!*
I only wonder because I KNOW that a few of the employees at my LSS are SU demos too. I don't see how SU can really say where you work or not unless you are making a conflict in the process.
DO I have this right?

DIane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks Nes55 for the kind words. I think you, and thus probably others, misunderstood my suggestions on portfolio (do you think it could have been because it was written at 4am?) Anyway, the portfolio which holds all the specific personal information is basically your reference file. You will use it to fill in all those pesky job applications, etc. and to keep track of all relevant documents. This your personal information data bank. The portfolio I believe Nes55 is referring to is more of an artist portfolio. It contains evidence of your creativity. Depending on the job being sought, you are going to go to your portfolio (personal data bank) and pull out examples that stress the qualities you want to convey (these I usually put in a folder or binder to take to the interview). I definitely do not recommend sharing personal information. You are also under no obligation to share such details as marital status, number of children, age, etc. These cannot be used to evaluate your ability to do the job and may be harmful if known.

Another thing which I forgot to mention. When I left a job, I usually asked my supervisor for a general letter of recommendation. I kept this in my portfolio (that personal data bank), and when appropriate, would send copies with my cover letter and resume. (Not a good idea if you are not leaving on excellent terms!!!) Professionally, these letters on several occasions got me in for an interview and ultimately the job even when on the surface it appeared I may not have met some specific qualifications. Plus, when I needed updated letters of rec years later, I would send the reference a copy of his/her letter, thanking them for writing it, along with a job description of the hoped for position, and ask them if they would update it and send it to the prospective employer. This way, all those sterling qualities were remembered in his/her own words when the current letter was written.

In addition to being an artist, I have worked in higher education and immigration law and am now on early retirement because of disability. These suggestions may sound like they only apply for professional positions, but even letters stating how dependable, cheerful, professional, flexible, etc. make a big impression. I have also sat on many hiring committees, as well as assisting doctors, researchers and faculty obtain permanent residency status as persons of extraordinary ability. You would not believe how often I have called a reference that turned out to be unfavorable or read copies of recommendations that were not beneficial to the applicant. In a poor economy, competition for jobs increases. Its smart to pay attention to details. Good luck, Pat

ps--I hope I am a little clearer today!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

TenTalentsStudio hit it out of the ball park with her clarification. Using her ideas to write your resume, and creating a small portfolio containing your resume with letters of reference on one side, and examples of your work (and possible class curriculums - ?) on the other is sure to be a simple, classic way to stand out from the pack. NESSASTAMPS is sure to be a hit whereever she goes with this advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks, Nes55. Pat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I realized I never replied to thank everyone for their advice. I appreciate all of it and have started my own portfolio as tentalentsstudio has suggested. Soon after I posted this and started receiving replies on it, I made the decision NOT to go for the job. I am going to wait until my youngest son is a little older before committing to a position. But thanks anyway to all of you for your kind words and words of wisdom. SCS is the greatest resource I have whenever I have questions like these. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes