Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-16-2007, 05:52 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! I am in a mess of glitter!

Okay, so I just started stamping. I LOOOOOVE embossing. The more sparkly it is, the better.

But now that I am doing it a lot, everything is getting COVERED in residual glitter! I mean EVERYTHING!!! The table, the floor, me, the cat (NOT KIDDING)

How do y'all keep your sparkling within the confines of your personality and OFF your surfaces!?!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2007, 05:57 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

One word - Stickles!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2007, 05:59 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I so know how you feel...my cats were covered too! I use the powder trays (from SU) or gladware containers big enough to put my paper in. It usually keeps the powder contained (at least as much as possible). Now, when it comes to dazzling diamonds glitter, thats a totally different story. There's no helping with that! ;)

Q

Don't get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and it just makes you walk funny. ~Kathryn Carpenter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Okay, that was mean

Stickles are a form of glitter glue which come in lots of different colors and can be very addictive. I wasn't convinced I "needed" them initially but I ordered one bottle just to see what the fuss was about and have never looked back.
There are lots of places to buy them - I got mine at Scrapbookpal.com - free shipping on order over $25 (I think) but I'm sure others will be able to recommend other sites/stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2007, 06:09 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

When embossing, I usually put down a piece of inexpensive copy paper or recycled newspaper under my paper that's to be embossed. I apply the versamark, and then the glitter. I tap off excess on the 'scrap' paper, and then fold it in half. It works very well to make sure the glitter is only going into the jar. SU!'s trays (Found other places as well) also work great. The glitter does sometimes stick, but is easily tapped off. Oh, and make sure your heat gun is good'n hot before you put it over your image, this will prevent glittler scatter on your table.

For easy clean up if you DO get glitter on your table, baby wipes work great.

<333.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks guys! I used a piece of paper underneath, but i didn't fold it in half, and I did put the heat gun over the image right away. lol

I just walked out into the living room, my fiance had said. "awww come look at this" I knew it was going to be the cats in some cute position, I humored him, when I came into the living room light he said. "Your face is covered in glitter!!" He went to pet Roxie and as I was walking back to the computer, he said "Roxie's COVERED in glitter!! How!!" I said, "She was helping me make a card"

LOL! (it's the truth you know)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2007, 06:32 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I never have any problem... I use a piece of scrap paper folded in half. I usually just use dazzling diamonds and I have a piece of paper for my heat n stick and one for the glitter...sometimes gets on my pants but thats about it...however...I did learn to turn off the ceiling fan while I'm doing this!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2007, 06:37 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

swiffer sheets are my best friend. thats how i get my surfaces clean and my vacum works pretty good for the carpet.
as for the cats, well i have 8 of them. i am not swiffering or vacuming them.besides everybody needs a little sparkle in their lives even the cats.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2007, 06:40 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I still can't get the hang of using the trays... I recently started using scrap paper because when I use my beloved trays, I just can't seem to get the powder completely off when I'm done using it...

One time ("at band camp") I used the trays w/ black powder, supposedly cleaned it, then used clear powder... When I poured the excess clear powder back into it's container, I realized I contaminated it with black :( ... then I made it worse because I tried to dig out the black specs... it's ruined :mad: ...

I want to love the trays, but after this, they're not feeling the love... whatever method you choose, be careful... but isn't embossing great! It's so worth getting used to!

BTW, glad to know it's not bad on cats... mine like to walk over my table and I was worried about "powder paws" ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2007, 06:43 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrothead
I never have any problem... I use a piece of scrap paper folded in half. I usually just use dazzling diamonds and I have a piece of paper for my heat n stick and one for the glitter...sometimes gets on my pants but thats about it...however...I did learn to turn off the ceiling fan while I'm doing this!!!
Now THAT is an excellent tip... too bad you had to learn the hard way... Never would've crossed my mind to turn it off ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2007, 06:45 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

A glittered stamper is a serious stamper. Glitter makes every project look better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2007, 06:46 PM   #12  
immzw4

I like being covered in ink and sparkles. I used stickles on my butterfly antennae tonight, and forgot that it wasn't quite dry. Tacky stickles will spread and make as much a mess of glitter as scattered embossing powder.

Nothing wrong with sparkle. I think women are supposed to glitter, like gold.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2007, 07:10 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

To sparkle is a good thing,makes folks wonder what you've been up to,just DON'T turn on the fan,been there done that,...oh well as for the cats,glidder is not so bad,could be tape.LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

My SIL used to have a stamp that said "Its not glitter, its my sparkling personality";)
Matthew 6:34 �So don�t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today�s trouble is enough for today."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2007, 01:10 PM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the idea of putting glitter and clear embossing powder in their own gladware containers. I've used it this way, but just haven't switched mine over (mostly because I need to buy two things - more clear powder and iridescent ice glitter [as it takes a couple of containers of each to do have enough to scoop] and gladware). My demo uses it this way and just keeps a plastic spoon in the container. Works beautifully so long as you're not trying to emboss or glitter a whole piece of paper.

As for glitter, I do have a word of warning - protect your table if you care about scratches! I scratched the heck out of the finish of my table when glitter got underneath the protective mat I set on top of the table to work on. I now cover the table with a fitted sheet and then the protective mat. This seems to keep it protected.

Also, another word of warning - be careful with your detailed embossing powder! I somehow juggled a FULL bottle of it, shot it across the table, and got it all over the place and into my designer paper packs! It didn't ruin anything, but sure made a mess. Even though I cleaned it up I still have to dust off my designer paper before I use it!

And congrats on your engagement!

Are you going to the Arlington swap on the 28th? Here's the link if you want to get on the waitlist - Forums at Splitcoaststampers It should be fun and it'll be my first swap!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2007, 01:13 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapping&Stamping
A glittered stamper is a serious stamper. Glitter makes every project look better.
Perfect! I was going to say we don't keep the glitter off of ourselves because it's how we find other serious stampers in a crowd. ;)

And I MUST have that "sparkling personality" stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #17  
Inking Addict

The mark of a stampers husband is.....

glitter on my nose.:neutral:

It never fails. I will be at work, late in the day and look in the mirror at the glitter on my nose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2007, 01:32 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

EMBRACE the sparkles!!

But seriously...I've had glitter in my car *months* after a stamp camp! It just brings a smile to my face. I also swear by the Swiffer-style sheets to get up that pesky ultrafine glitter from most surfaces in my stamp room. Doesn't work so well on the cats, tho! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2007, 02:06 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrothead
Heehee!!! I SO did the same thing one night - and it was one of those moments where as soon as the powder started coming out of the jar it dawned on me, but it was too late. Needless to say, the carpet, chair and I were very sparkly for a few days (as was anyone else that chose to sit in that particular chair, lol.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2007, 04:32 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

To quote Demetri Martin "Glitter is the herpes of the crafting world." Just had to add this because everyone had already given you great tips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

I also like the swiffer cloths for cleaning up my craft table. I use coffee filters when I use glitter or embossing powder. They are anti-static, and you can pour the glitter right back into the container.
A little glitz is always good. Eileen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2007, 05:51 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Im all for GLITTER whenever and wherever you can use it! I love water scenes, bubble scenes... and fairy scenes! I think the sparklier the better!
Once after making some cards I was sitting down nursing my 4th son...and he kept stopping to grin at me the biggest grins...and he was making a mess and I couldnt figure out why until his hand kept going up to my chest like he wanted to touch something... I looked in the mirror...and I was all sparklie!! He was really impressed!!
The only thing I do wonder about glitter and EP is since it gets all over... I wonder if it gets in our lungs does it stay there? Will we be seeing on the news one day a new phenomena called "Crafters" lung?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2007, 09:04 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Whouln't you love to see the Xray ant the tech and radiologist's face when they read this .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2007, 09:19 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverDragoness
To quote Demetri Martin "Glitter is the herpes of the crafting world." Just had to add this because everyone had already given you great tips.
Love that quote!!!
Personally, I like having glitter all over me, much cheaper than real diamonds!
Also, I use the gladware--switched about 6 months ago and love it, I just need to find those little spoons, maybe a trip to Ben and Jerry's is in order! I find the square sandwich size works the best for most projects. But, embrace the glitter, it is what makes you a great crafter!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2007, 09:25 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yep, the scrap paper underneath and a traycontainer are the answers. It's fun using glitter or DD at a shoebox swap. At the end of the day, we are all very sparkly!!

Reply With Quote Likes