Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-29-2005, 10:14 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help I am NUTS SU/CM albums

I am a SU demo and former CM demo. I went to my friends CM open house today and went mad. I got 200 dollard worth of paper and items and I gave her 100 in SU items.It is great BUT I need to get my head into SU I am a demo.LOL I just have so many CM albums that I really need to use them and there paper is so nice. I love it that it fits the pages with little effort. She is so great BUT I am really a nut. I do not have 1 SU album in 12X12 to demo. I had to start a swap for 5 months so I really could have something to demo. I know I am crazy but I have so many CM albums started I dont want to switch in the middle of the game what do you all think? My DH was on the floor he said DO YOU SELL CM AGAIN>LOL I love this stuff and need to have fun right? ALSO I love stickers so ... I am so affraid to INK my pages and screw up I think is what it is.. Are you all going ot offer mental help for me?? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 02:56 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Don't despair! I am a CM consultant and I have several SU demo'ers in my customer base. They sort of are in the same boat as you. They started with CM, like the CM products. . . esp the albums and they continue to buy CM . . . and come to my workshops and retreats! I am a huge SU fan and have tons of sets, all the paper colors and I try to stamp at least something everyday. But, I only rarly stamp in my albums. Decorating with stickers and papers go faster for me and when I look at the backlog of photos that I still have to scrapbook, faster is better!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 04:02 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Get an album from SU. It will make stamping on your pages less stressful since the pages slide in and are not attached like in CM albums.

You could always layer paper over the CM page if you make a mistake, but give SU a try...especially since you are a demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 04:07 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

I have many friends who use CM for their scrapbooks and I'll never convert them to SU for scrapping :( . They do use some stamping in their books but not much. They are terrific customers for our products for making cards and gifts. Maybe that is what you should stick with if you really can't stamp in your books Might get even more expensive :lol:
I never started with CM so have absolutely no problem doing SU. I love our products and all of the albums that I have stamped in are in great condition. I will show them my pages and they can't get over how wonderful they look .
I very seldom even use the craft ink. Since I seldom use the Soft Subles I don't run into a problem with fading. I don't think any of us leave our albums out in the sun light. Even the pages that I did 5 years ago when I started look great. I can see however, that I have progressed in MY scrapbooking technique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 04:28 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I hope this isn't considered hijacking :oops: :

Did you by any chance get to see the new 12x12 paper cutter they are coming out with? It's supposed to be available 2/1 to order, and I ordered one sight unseen since I really do think their cutting stuff is the best.

And, since you are a demo, you should maybe buy one album, put together some pages using your SU! stamps and copies of pictures for demos. And no, you're not alone! I started with CM and am having a really hard time switching to a new album! I've got pages done but they are all in a page protector box until I figure what kind of album I'm going to use.

Do you want to switch to SU because you're a demo? I want to switch because I'm tired of wallpapering in my albums. If it's just for your personal use, go with what you're happy with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 04:38 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

stampin2day4ever wrote:
Quote:

... I am so affraid to INK my pages and screw up I think is what it is ...
speedystamper wrote:
Quote:

... You could always layer paper over the CM page if you make a mistake, but give SU a try ...
troublesmom wrote:
Quote:

... They do use some stamping in their books but not much. They are terrific customers for our products for making cards and gifts. Maybe that is what you should stick with if you really can't stamp in your books ...
First off, I've not used CM products so I'm not going to comment on them. I do understand, from this site, that the pages of the CM albums are not removable. If that is correct, then instead of stamping directly on the pages, wouldn't stamping on c/s scraps and then attaching these layers to your CM pages work? This eliminates the "I don't want to screw this page up" stress. I rarely ever stamp directly on the background page unless I'm turning the background into a pattern. This is how I do my SU! album pages: I plan 2 or 3 12x12s at one time; stamp images, letters, etc; cut them out; layer on contrasting c/s etc; then "make up the pages" using the removable Hermafix to keep things in place. I leave these out on the table to view for a day or two changing the arrangement now and again. Then I afix the items to the background permanently and put into my album.

Just another process for your consideration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 05:01 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

I used to be a CM consultant and although I am not a SU demo, my best friend is and I am totally addicted, so I have had the same struggle. I would suggest that you buy one and try it. That is my plan. Actually I have the album but I haven't worked in it yet.
I bought a 6x6 to work on first.
Good luck!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 05:50 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could at least try the simply scrappin' packs. They work kind of like stickers but you would be able to show your customers!

But I would definately try to stamp on seperate paper and then add it to your books. Especially titles and things. I know if you've been using stickers for a while you probably think that stickers are just easier but remember how hard it was to line the stickers up when you first started? Stamping letters is kind of like that. After you've done it a while you'll just think it is super easy to just stamp it on your page. And, if you mess up you can always restamp on a seperate piece of paper and attach it to your page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 06:43 AM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

Anyone that has used a CM album knows that it is the best quality album on the market. (There may be preferences to style but, I'm speaking of quality.) CM is the Cadillac of scrapbooking; SU is the Cadillac of stamping. It would be hard to sell an album, with a clear conscious, knowing that there is one better out there. If those two companies could make some sort of arrangement, I'd be in heaven! And creating an album is not only an investment in money, but also in time. I couldn't/wouldn't create an album "just to demo", and knowing the quality of CM, I wouldn't put my treasured memories and photos in any other album! There really isn't an easy solution...
1 John 3:11-24

demo, n: a person who cleverly addicts her friends and family to stamping in order to pay for her addiction to stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 06:55 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I, too, was a CM junkie!

However, since I've become an SU demo, (okay years after I became an SU demo), I decided to try one of SU's albums.....

I will never go back!

Ours are sooooo much easier to use! The top-loading makes a world of difference. My albums always look nice - not a little loose from not pulling the 'thingies' tight enough!

What's best is some MATCH our stamp sets....soooo cute! The 6X6's are adorable and fit our 12X12 cut into 4ths....soo much fun!

Since my stamps are always around or out, I make pages soo easy! No need for stickers, except on occasion, and our fonts are adorable for journaling....

I have entered a whole new, easier and more beneficial world of scrapbooking, and I was reluctant to even try!!

My advice to you:

Find yourself a new (old) addiction that benefits your business!

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks...."
I Thessalonians 5:16-18
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 07:10 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 217 Likes on 187 Posts

I too was a creative memories consultant. Now a SU demo. I love stampin up. But I also loved CM . I have such a backstock of CM albums and I love them so I'll never change. I have considered getting a SU album to show, but I am mostly a hobby demo so I've been putting it off.

I think people should use what they like. I have no problem with the SU albums. And wouldn't knock any one who used them. I think both companies are great.

There are so many great companies out there. I say live, love and enjoy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 07:30 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I am also a former CM consultant and now I am a SU demo. I thought I would never use anything, but CM albums. I tried SU's albums and I LOVE THEM!! They are so easy to use! There is NO turning back now! I am hooked on the simplicity!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 10:32 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Default cm/su albums

I am going ot get a 12X12 SU and just do it. I just have a hard time choking down all the CM albums.you know.LOL I do like the top load over the strap that is a given BUT I have so much CM stuff it is the only reason I sitck with it..LOL I do have a 12X12 swap over 5 months going so I hope to get great ideas on that. ALSO I have round 2 of this so I should have in 5 months 50 2 pages layouts and this would be a great album to show. I am really excited for this one....
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 10:53 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

My first love has always been SU! but CM albums are WAY better than SU! I'm not a demo, so I can use what I want, but I would say stick with the CM albums for personal use and get one SU! 12 x 12 for demo purposes only.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 11:22 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

I use CM albums because I prefer the strap/hinge method and have ever since starting to scrapbook. I'm also one of those weird people who has to have matching album styles in my shelves if in a public area of my house.
As far as being a demo and having albums for workshops...I've gotten around it by grabbing a few of my loose 12x12 pages in SU protectors and stick them in my bag. I can easily pass them around that way. I've honestly never had a customer question what I use personally and if they did I'd tell them my personal preference is the CM album, but SU's are worth a try if you aren't already committed to something you love.

When I do pages I always use a background paper, trim the 1/2 inch off and adhere it to the CM page. Makes for a bulkier album, but works for me.

I think the most important thing is to be knowledgeable about what's out there and how each person can adapt their work to whatever they choose.
Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 11:35 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Hey, don't sweat it - do what you like! My dear friend is an awsome CM consultant, so I have lots of CM products as well. Both CM and SU are great companies with nice systems. It just depends on what you are used to and what you like. As someone else mentioned, I stamp on pieces of CS rather than directly in the albums. It allows for more control; kind of like using the stickers.

What you use personally and what you demo do not always have to be one in the same, I think. I want my SU customers to buy what they like and enjoy, and I think they appreciate my honesty in recognizing that there are other good products and companies out there. SU has a lot to offer; try out one of their albums so you can compare and be familiar with the benefits when a customer asks about them. You don't have to give up on CM to do that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 11:47 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm a CM demo, and all I have are CM albums, but I do stamp in mine from time to time. For me, the hardest part is that I keep my CM supplies in one place and my SU supplies in another, and I have to make more of an effort to get them both out and use them together.

If you're nervous about it, I would go along with the suggestion to stamp on smaller pieces of cardstock and layer them on your pages as accents. And CM pages ARE removable if you mess one up so completely that it can't be covered. But I would certainly try to just cover it with a photo or some cardstock if you make a mistake.

I would just go with what you like, though, as far as the products are concerned. I don't feel guilty about using non-CM products in my albums, and I don't think you should feel like you have to use SU products only either. I know that most of my customers aren't 100% loyal, and I find that they feel more comfortable buying from me when they know I use other products, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 11:58 AM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

I'm kinda surprisedthat most people don't seem to realize that you can get pages for your CM albums that you then can slide your scapbook page into. It's the way to go, especially if you're one that tends to forget an event and need to insert it between Christmas and little Susie's birthday whoch are pages that you have already done!
Reply With Quote Likes