Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-01-2005, 11:14 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Help Me Let Go Of My Retired Sets

How do you let go of your retired sets. I am a new demo since November. I have a little over 120 sets; I have maybe 90 retired sets out of that, then some more out of my others on the retiring list. I thought I would go through and find some that I could trade for some of the sets that are retiring, because there are still some I want out of this catty. But I just can�t bear to part with any of them. I am a hobby demo, so getting rid of my old ones to get new ones is not a priority. So how do you ladies decide what stays and what goes?

I need some professional addiction help with this but thought I would start here. It�s cheaper than therapy.

Angie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 11:26 AM   #2  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I have no problem getting rid of sets!!! I figure that if I get rid of old ones (I do have 4 parties a year) I have money to buy the new and awesome ones hopefully coming out in the new catty!!
SCS member #735
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 11:35 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've sold a lot in the past and then regretted how much I sold at such cheap prices! So -- if you really love the set, keep it. If you find that you rarely use it, sell it, cut your losses and use the $$ to buy new stuff. Why don't you take them out and put them in piles:

1. must keep -- still use and love
2. sell -- hardly ever, if at all, use.
3. in between.

Sell the #2s, and see how much $$ you get and then work your way through the #3s. Keep the #1s.

by the way, I am always in the market for retired background stamps from SU. Let me know if you have any for sale!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 12:35 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I rarely part with stamps. If I loved it enough to buy it, I don't plan on getting rid of it. In fact, the ones I usually part with are the others, the ones I got for free like 3 sets of natural wonder....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 12:50 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

WHAT??? Get rid of STAMP SETS?? That's like getting rid of children! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 02:49 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

My problem is that I have this big stack of sets that are retired already that I just don't use. I have enough shows that I'm kept really busy using my current sets and my retired ones are buried under a year's worth of dust.
I keep thinking that the more I sell, the more $$ I'll have to buy brand new ones in July. IT"S SO HARD, THOUGH, isn't it??
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/iam_monalisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 03:09 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Wink Retired sets...

WOW! That's a lot of sets that you have retiring! I'm not a demonstrator but I would just hang on to any sets that you love unless you are in dire need for more. If you have a few sets that you really rarely use and see something you like more - trade or sell those for some of the new sets. Maybe you'll see a few sets that you "have to have" but can't justify getting - if you like it better than something you have that's retired - then trade again. Maybe easing into it will be better for you! Godd Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 03:14 PM   #8  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

Oh I forgot to add... if I DON"T use them in the last year they go!!! That is how I can get rid of them.... I have limited space so I have to get rid of them as they retire to have room for some new ones!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 03:15 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I think thi needs to be moved to the demo only site and for everyone who responded, if youare a demo, get signed up for the demo only side so we can keep business stuff seperate. I jave seen several posts getting moved but no idea how to do it but just wanted everyone to know that we demos are suppossed to keep all business out of the general discussion side. thanks!

Marcy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 03:41 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Smile

This is really not business, I mentioned that I was a demo. Letting go of stamps that you love, to make way for new ones is something every stamper must face. I am a member of the demo forum. Just dont think this has to be there.

Angie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 04:18 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, Angie! This is an issue all stampers face at one time or another. It is not a "demonstrator only" issue!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 04:31 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 198 Likes on 165 Posts

I hope I have this problem someday....for now I am keeping them all....I love all of mine too much LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 05:23 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I can't get rid of stamp sets.... I love them too much! Plus, i'm a scrapbooker and I use them for my books and gifts to other people.
Mind you, once I have several hundred like some of the people on here, then I might look forward to finding some old sets a new home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 06:51 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Smile

I found one I can part with .... YEAH, Slam Dunk, I bought it because my son played in an upward basketball league. But its really not age appropriate for the scrapbook page I want to do. (Or thats my justifications for getting rid of it) Ok I have made it past the first one, hopefully others to follow.

Angie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 09:55 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I never sell a stamp I have inked. If it has never been used or mounted then it can go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 11:46 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

When I get the retired list each year, I go thru and mark the catty with those dot stickers that you get for garage sales. Then I mark the set box with one also. Then I think about it for a few days, and finally I pick what I never used or what I am sick of (cha right) and put those in a box. Just the other day I got back out several sets that retired 5 years ago to use again. If someone doesn't buy them, I keep them. I know that didn't help much.

Nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 04:11 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I have parted with retired sets - I hold currents as a courtesy to my demo -

Anyway - I look at what my "go to " sets are and what my current "style" of stamping is.

For example - I am getting rid of Bold and Bright from last years retuired list - its a stamp and go using a spectrum pad - I don't like to marker and for me its limiting in what i WANT to do in stamping.

Don't get me wrong its a cute set - I would not ahve bought it - if I had not liked it - but is just not "ME" anymore.

I like the suggestion of the three piles - for your #3s - put a FIRM price on it - that way if it sells you got a good price for it and if it doesn't you can put it back into your stash.

I had several on te list this year that i WILL NOT part with - On the Beach being one of them! I USE it all the time and its a FAV go to set!

And think of it too - with 120 sets - do you USE them all???? Which ones ahd the most dust on them! Start there!

Smiles

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 04:58 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Marcy - why would this have to be in the demo only forum? Maybe you are a long time lurker but things like this are always here and me being a non-demo love to read them. We are trying very hard to keep the boards a positive nice place;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 05:35 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Peasoup, what type of frog is that in your avatar? MY dd loves frogs. Is this one of your own.... too cool. We "raise" bullfrogs in our koi pond. We have had some whoppers, 2 my dd named, BIG ELVIS and Pedro, got the cutest pics of her with them.

Ok heres an update, So far I have traded 1 and have 2 others up for trade. Which really is not helping my problem... but I am trading for things I might use more. I discovered stampin up on ebay, it has really been a lifesaver. I was hitting my savings account every week. Also Why I have a lot of retired sets. I am new to stampin and being a demo, and yess thats a lot of stamps for a newbie, but I quit my job 2 years ago to stay with my mom who is a hospice patient and I think that maybe I was enjoying too much getting the stamps in the mail, kinda looking forward to something, but thats another therapy issue. Even though I am just a hobby demo, I am trying to justify keeping these, hopeing I will get organized and maybe have stamp camps or something. Plus I am new to scrapbooking and a lot of the sets would be so great, they all fit for one thing or another. Yes there are a lot that have never seen a stamp pad or met any paper, but its a little hectic around here sometimes. And just sitting with them calms me, when I have a rough day. Even though most of the time, I dont have the time to use them, I think, wow, I could use this for making that. Hi, my name is Angie and I am addicted to rubber stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes