Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-18-2006, 07:56 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me stop Hoarding!!

I am a Hoarder! I am a scrapper so I have just about everything, but I always hesitate to use it, although, I am getting better about using scrapping supplies because whatever it is, it is still with me -- just in a book. But I have the hardest time using anything other than brads and ribbon on my cards! Usually my cards go to people who don't appreciate the work (my in-laws), so I won't put anything of value on those. But when I am making cards for challenges or for people who I know will appreciate it, I have to pry my hands off my stash to use it.

Help!!! I assume I'm just being selfish, but I think it is also that if I use it, I won't have it to use on something else (where it would be perfect, ya know). Surely I could just buy more, but as much as I love using all those cool embellishments, I feel they are so expensive (stamps I use over and over, in theory anyway, so price isn't as much an issue).

Sigh...I'm so frustrated with myself!

I really want some great tips on how to stop hoarding!

Help us create a StampinUp Gallery Index
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 08:07 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

I am exactly the same way - and it drives me crazy. I used the patterned paper I just bought from the spring mini. I felt like I was trying to decide which wire to cut on a bomb. I had to keep saying it is just paper, if you use it, you can buy more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 08:17 AM   #3  

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapmo
I am exactly the same way - and it drives me crazy. I used the patterned paper I just bought from the spring mini. I felt like I was trying to decide which wire to cut on a bomb. I had to keep saying it is just paper, if you use it, you can buy more.
Oh that is a perfect way to describe it! Yeah, my paper stash is really out of control too. I love that paper from the mini...haven't bought it yet because I know I won't use it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 10:12 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I am like this too! I have to have (or at least want to have) everything I possibly can ... and then I dont want to use it ... well, I do want to use it, but when I do use it, I dont want to give the card away, I want to keep it for myself! I have to get better about this, it is dumb to buy the stuff and not use it, lol!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 11:55 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Default Don't hoard Life is too short.

I found out 2 days ago that I have a brain tumor. I am a scrapbooker like you and sometimes hoard things. But I will never again. You can always buy new stuff so use what you have and enjoy it.

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 02:17 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

So sorry to hear that. That is probably more of a motivation to use our supplies than we would have expected.

Hugs to you - please keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 02:43 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by kate2kate
I found out 2 days ago that I have a brain tumor. I am a scrapbooker like you and sometimes hoard things. But I will never again. You can always buy new stuff so use what you have and enjoy it.

Kate
Oh my goodness, my thoughts are with you and your family. Please do keep us informed on how you're doing. Thank you so much for putting it all into perspective. Play and have fun with it now, don't let it all go out of style or feel as if you have to save it for the next better project.

I would have to say that I am not a hoarder, just a collector. I collect so much stuff that I never get around to using it.;) Which is still not a good thing and a waste of money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 02:48 PM   #8  
Bunny's SunnyChick

Quote:

Kate
Oh My! That is an eye opener...I suppose it puts everything into perspective. I am so sorry to hear your news. I am glad that you can talk about it openly but still hard to take in...My prayers are with you...HUGS!
Tracy H. #31511=)
"The beginning is always today!" Mary Shelley

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 02:53 PM   #9  
Bunny's SunnyChick

as far as hoarding...Karen, I am the Queen of Hoarding! I never want to let my precious treasures leave my home and I used to be the same way about my creations...of course creations made with precious treasures...therefore, I wanted them on display and not gone forever! Finally, after rec'g gorgeous RAK's from friends and SCS members...I started letting go a little bit easier...But I still have a tendency to "hide my treasures" away! LOL
Tracy H. #31511=)
"The beginning is always today!" Mary Shelley

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 02:56 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I wish you were in the RAK list so we could send you cards as well as hugs.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 03:54 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

kate2kate,
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 04:27 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Kate,
Our prayers are with you. We hope you will keep us updated. This must be a tumultuous time for you.

About hoarding - what a lot of you have said applies to me. It is hard to use some of those great supplies. And it is kind of the same with clothes - have to save some of those outfits for a special situation - by the time a few of those roll around that outfit is outdated or "outgrown"!!!

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 04:32 PM   #13  

Quote:

Kate - that really does put life in perspective. I am sorry to hear your news, I will keep you in my thoughts!

Tracy - that is a good idea...I really should RAK some of my cards away! At least I know the recipient would like them!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 04:38 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I made it my New Year's Resolution this year to not hoard my stuff...I started the year out pretty well but started to revert to my old habits until about a week ago - there is a thread on SCS asking how much paper you have and someone was kind enough to post an article about how all those inches of paper add up to X number of scrapbook pages and I now realize that if I never bought another thing I would have years and years worth of cardmaking supplies.

I would also like to mention that I am so sorry to hear about Kate's news. My thoughts are with you.

Kelly Bee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 04:53 PM   #15  

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellybee
...there is a thread on SCS asking how much paper you have and someone was kind enough to post an article about how all those inches of paper add up to X number of scrapbook pages and I now realize that if I never bought another thing I would have years and years worth of cardmaking supplies.
That is me too -- I have over 5 feet of cardstock/pattern paper!! *blush* :oops:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2006, 03:18 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, Kate, I am so sorry to hear your news, please keep us informed about how you are doing, good and bad. I'm sending you lots of love .
I'm also a terrible hoarder, I have to have two of everything, one to use and one to keep!
My friend got so fed up with me refusing to use my DCWV mat stack, she gave me hers and I still can't bear to use either of them!
I promise I will try though!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2006, 07:26 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Cool

The girls and I use to laugh when we would scrapbook because we wondered if there ever would be a day when we were in the middle of a project and had to say "Oh my I am simply out of paper.. I dont even have one single sticker or full sheet left" then we would all laugh realizing that we could scrap every day for a year and STILL have plenty.. I think its just a crafters way- we are always thinking ahead trying to figure out the next big creation.. I will go to make a card and pass alll the brand new paper and look for a single sheet that I feel I can part with.. its a sickness.. lets all face it.. we need a support group..oh wait thats what SCS is.. and its certaily supporting our habits.. Gotta love us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2006, 09:54 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I try and keep my supplies limited to the space I have. So I always think that if I use some of my little bellies or special paper, I create empty space. THEREFORE, I can buy more stuff! Without guilt! Woohoo!
Amy

PS- Kate, my prayers are with you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2006, 11:01 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

I am the same way too. My Demo bought all kinds of ribbon and sold a meter of each to us and I still haven't used it. I don't like to use all the SU paper if I don't have to either. Sounds strange to me but I can't help it. I love all the colors so much that I hate to use them up knowing that I can buy more. I am just afraid that I will run out before I get the chance to buy more.

I too need help

Karen
Sneek A Peak at my blog ===> Karen's Kreations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2006, 12:39 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I have worked hard on using my supplies before buying a bunch more BUT that hasn't really worked that welll - well I can keep dreaming

Just reading this post can someone tell me kate2kate's address I want to RAK her.

smile
Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2006, 12:59 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Kate - My heart and prayers go out to you!

It was a similar circumstance with a friend that cured most of my hoarding tendencies. I sent her a bunch of my unloved stuff so she could make cards/whatnot for the people she loved before she passed away. It felt liberating to get rid of all! Now I have a rule - if I haven't touched it in a year, and it's not part of a project-in-progress (like multi-year ongoing documentary scrapbook stuff), it goes to someone who will actually use it.

Think of it this way - it clears up room for more STUFF!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2006, 01:02 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

I am reading all the e-mails since I also have a problem with hoarding. I don't know how old all of you are, but I am 60 and had parents that went through the Great Depression. Our parents needed to be frugal and I think it might have rubbed off on us.
A few years ago, when my mother died, and I had to clean out her house, and found that she saved or recycled everything. Maybe her obsession has been passed on to me. I try very hard not to hoard and give away or throw out what I do not need. What hit me the hardest was that she "saved" all the cute Christmas towels, special silver ware, etc. that I gave her over the years for a special occasion. I don't think the "special occasions" ever came for her, so my advice to everyone who hoards is to send the cards, use the ribbon, paper & imbelleshments, make the scrap book pages, etc. Give everyone a gift of your creativity when you can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2006, 08:01 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow 1st off so so sorry to hear about the tumor. I suffer from migrans and just did the MRI and EGG . GOt back MRI was all clear but was so scared of that tumor thing and remembering how I wished that on no one. You will always be in my thoughts and prayers.And boy did that really make me think the same as all sofar on here .. Just use it , create, and far more share what and who we are and can do. HUGS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2006, 09:36 PM   #24  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by kthaman
I am a Hoarder! I am a scrapper so I have just about everything, but I always hesitate to use it, although, I am getting better about using scrapping supplies because whatever it is, it is still with me -- just in a book. But I have the hardest time using anything other than brads and ribbon on my cards! Usually my cards go to people who don't appreciate the work (my in-laws), so I won't put anything of value on those. But when I am making cards for challenges or for people who I know will appreciate it, I have to pry my hands off my stash to use it.

Help!!! I assume I'm just being selfish, but I think it is also that if I use it, I won't have it to use on something else (where it would be perfect, ya know). Surely I could just buy more, but as much as I love using all those cool embellishments, I feel they are so expensive (stamps I use over and over, in theory anyway, so price isn't as much an issue).

Sigh...I'm so frustrated with myself!

I really want some great tips on how to stop hoarding!
sorry can't help you! I'm stingy with my ribbon and obsessed about keeping my SU hardware kit complete! It's a sickness, we can't help ourselves!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2006, 03:37 AM   #25  
*I stamp, therefore I am......*

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diane's Designs
I am reading all the e-mails since I also have a problem with hoarding. I don't know how old all of you are, but I am 60 and had parents that went through the Great Depression. Our parents needed to be frugal and I think it might have rubbed off on us.
A few years ago, when my mother died, and I had to clean out her house, and found that she saved or recycled everything. Maybe her obsession has been passed on to me. I try very hard not to hoard and give away or throw out what I do not need. What hit me the hardest was that she "saved" all the cute Christmas towels, special silver ware, etc. that I gave her over the years for a special occasion. I don't think the "special occasions" ever came for her, so my advice to everyone who hoards is to send the cards, use the ribbon, paper & imbelleshments, make the scrap book pages, etc. Give everyone a gift of your creativity when you can.

:eek: Yes! I am Beginning to use what I have because I am 50 and how long can I hoard all my stuff, my kids wont want it when I die and there will always be new and exciting stuff in the crafts world. I have been LAVISHING my secret sister with goodies and she is so appreciative it gives me great joy to delight her, I make cards for my family and friends and have even sold some cards to friends who just love them. \\

So I say use it up and know that SU and the other companies will continut to supply us with beautiful products for the crafts that we love so much! Good luck! Nancyruth:eek:
today is a gift, enjoy every minute....

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more. ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2006, 04:06 AM   #26  

Quote:

Originally Posted by NANCYRUTH
So I say use it up and know that SU and the other companies will continut to supply us with beautiful products for the crafts that we love so much! Good luck! Nancyruth:eek:
That does help me some. I know I hang to some stuff, especially paper, because it gets discontinued so quickly. However, I am finally realized that while a paper is discontinued, there is always new patterns coming out that are just as cute...it would help if it didn't take me a week to finish one scrapbook page I need to start using stuff on my cards though.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2006, 05:15 AM   #27  

Default and dont get me wrong, I have a PHD in hoarding....

:???: ....but I am finding it relieves the guilt of having so much stuff to use it and spread the joy! So what if the person who gets the card doesnt put it in the Louvre next to the Mona Lisa, once I send out that card/scrapbook/framed art it is out of my hands and not my job to worry how it will be preserved. I would love to think they are all as cherished as they are to me but realistically they probably are not all adored and I still have the joy of creating and sharing what I love to do! I will step down from the soapbox now and continue to try to stop my hoarding ways!!!:???:

((((HUGS))))Nancyruth

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2006, 05:57 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am a major collector - I have more than I could possibly use. I always try and remind myself - no one loves my paper/stamps/inks etc... as much as me, so if I die tomorrow I know it may just go in the trash - so not only have I "willed" it to my SIL who will use it or disperse it properly BUT I have started using it. Really. The other day I did 4 8x8 pages in less than an hour. It felt great.

"Consider how hard it is to change yourself; and you will understand what little chance you have trying to change others."

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2006, 05:59 AM   #29  

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrboyle
I am a major collector - I have more than I could possibly use. I always try and remind myself - no one loves my paper/stamps/inks etc... as much as me, so if I die tomorrow I know it may just go in the trash - so not only have I "willed" it to my SIL who will use it or disperse it properly BUT I have started using it. Really. The other day I did 4 8x8 pages in less than an hour. It felt great.
Awesome -- I wish I could get quicker! I too have told my hubby in no uncertain terms who is to get all my stuff! hee hee...he just rolls his eyes. Thankfully he is very understanding of me and my addiction

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2006, 06:38 AM   #30  

I have these cute accordianb albums I scarfed up at Target when they were 75% off and this morning I made an album of my friends hubbys 60th bd party, which was last may!!! I promised the album as a bd gift and it came out fab!!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2006, 07:43 AM   #31  

Yeah!! Congratulations!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2006, 09:00 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

We must be twins! I just keep thinking...what if I cant find "that" again...but then again, what is the point of buying it if I'm not going to use it!!! I am trying to get better! I find that the challenges help in getting me to use my "stuff".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm a hoarder, too! I just decided to start using my stuff that I've been holding on to. I bought it thinking I loved it and then never have used the stuff because I love it. Well, I'm just collecting a bunch of stuff I love. I finally used some chipboard letters the other daythat I've been hoarding for a while.

Now only if I can start using my patterned papers! I'll be good to go then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2006, 05:55 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

First, kate2kate isn't it great to be getting all these well wishes and prayers from the gang here. What a great community. My prayers are with you.

As for "collecting". This thread is kind of a AA meeting isn't it. Hi, my name is Cynthia and I am addited to collecting cardstock, stacking scrapping stuff, and stuffing stamps in every inch of space in my office. It is a disease. Hey in addtion to this I also fondle fabric--I quilt and you don't even want to know about my sewing room. Add up all this stuff and ----ladies ,it still doesn't add up to a fishing boat or a snow mobile!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2006, 01:20 AM   #35  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynthia Wilson
First, kate2kate isn't it great to be getting all these well wishes and prayers from the gang here. What a great community. My prayers are with you.

As for "collecting". This thread is kind of a AA meeting isn't it. Hi, my name is Cynthia and I am addited to collecting cardstock, stacking scrapping stuff, and stuffing stamps in every inch of space in my office. It is a disease. Hey in addtion to this I also fondle fabric--I quilt and you don't even want to know about my sewing room. Add up all this stuff and ----ladies ,it still doesn't add up to a fishing boat or a snow mobile!!!
Great point Cynthia!! Now I am off to USE some of my hordes of things!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2006, 04:18 AM   #36  
Failed Lurker

First, Kate2Kate I really hope everything works out well for you and that your treatment doesn't prove too gruelling.

As for hoarding - I think I'm beginning to cure myself after I forced myself to use something "precious" and realised it was actually MORE fun to USE it than it was just to HAVE it. I also realised that if you keep things too long, your tastes change, they go out of style and you don't love them so much any more, so the sooner you use them, the better. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2006, 06:06 AM   #37  

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemeynell
I also realised that if you keep things too long, your tastes change, they go out of style and you don't love them so much any more, so the sooner you use them, the better. Have fun!
That is a great point! I really need to keep that in mind. I do have stuff like that, not to mention a whole binder full of stickers. Thankfully most of them are junk and I can give to my kids. The other stickers I am learning how to alter them so I can still use them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2006, 07:40 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess this is a challenge to ourselves (I collect way too much of everything, too): try to use your most loved supplies in the most beautiful way. After all, you wouldn't want a tree to be chopped down to make a gorgeous piece of paper that then spends its "life" in a drawer somewhere. I keep a copy of everything I send to people. The copies go in an album as a record of what I've made - and if I need a quick card idea, I've got my own favorites to chose from.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2006, 07:47 PM   #39  
Mad Swapper

kate2kate - thinking of you and praying for a great outcome.

I too am a Scrapbooking and Stamping Squirrel. And the fun part is that I have so much stuff I can't find something when I REALLY want it!

I think my downfall is the 40% off coupons for Michael's and AC Moore every week. Because I am going to get 40% off of it, I have to find SOMETHING to buy! I have people saving them for me at work and some weeks have 6 from each store! Now I'm not going to use a 40% off coupon on one measly piece of patterned paper, am I? No, of course not! So I purchase something I don't need because the price is good.

Kinda like the "free gift" with purchase at the cosmetic counters. First of all, let's think about the term "free gift". Is it really free when you have to buy toner you don't need to go with the moisturizer so that you have spent enough to qualify for the "free gift"? I don't think so! I had such an accumulation of itty bitty makeup and other stuff I had no use for that I put it together in lots of 5 items and put them on ebay. People came out of the woodwork to spend $10, $12, $15, as much as $20 for stuff I got for "free" and didn't want! What a country, huh?

Fellow Scrapbooking and Stamping Squirrels Unite!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2006, 08:18 PM   #40  
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

Quote:

Originally Posted by kthaman
That does help me some. I know I hang to some stuff, especially paper, because it gets discontinued so quickly. However, I am finally realized that while a paper is discontinued, there is always new patterns coming out that are just as cute.
OMG... I recently cleaned out my craft space... OK... I'm STILL working on it... BUT, I did clean out my paper HOARD and let me tell you something about patterned paper.... Some of the stuff I had was as dated as Avacado and Harvest Gold kitchen appliances! SCARY STUFF! It all went to my friends' kids! I know the same thing is going to happen if I keep hoarding hardware!
Reply With Quote Likes