Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-08-2005, 08:04 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! No room to stamp ... what should I do

besides throw all the furniture on the lawn and make everyone MOVE OUT of the house (hehe). Sorry if this is long but please give me some input ...

Basically I have no place I can set aside for stamping and scrapbooking - I have gone therough the posts about organizing stamping spaces - but they usualy lead to these beautifully laid out spaces with cabinets and desks and organizers - I just don't have that.

Currently my stamps are organized upstairs in a corner of my college aged sons' room - he is away at school and no I CANNOT permanently take over the space as he comes home frequently - we had to do away with the dining room table so that we could make room for a home office (TWO computers in there - no more room for anything else ) ...this leaves me with the Kitchen table or the living room floor -

Can someone recommend some ideas on having some sort of portable set-up that is east to clean up and an easy storage solution for the things used all the time - adhesive, ribbon, cutter, paper - so that I do not spend all my time setting up, going up and down stairs and cleaning up?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 08:28 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I have limited space also. I purchased a "Heavy duty Workstation" from cropper hopper...that holds a ton of paper, and is on wheels, so you could just roll that to where you are working. i also found an organizer box that holds all my tools that I frequently use,(adhesive, eyelet tools, pens, scissors, etc.) and it has a handle, so I can just grab that and everything is there. I also purchased a fold down table that i can just set up in my living room. If you look around, you can find portable storage ideas to fit your needs. It takes a while, but I have found that it can be done! good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 08:46 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Target.com has a cabinet/desk/armoire unit that would work well in any room of the house!

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000124RQU

It has a pull out desk top with full storage inside. The doors have storage racks and hangers.
There is a matching cart/file cabinet for cardstocks!

Look what I can do! (my gallery)

Last edited by mndnco; 11-08-2005 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 08:48 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I recently purchased the Generations Create-a-bag Crop Station with my Michael's coupon for use outside the home. It might work for you. It keeps your tools neat and tidy, zips up and rolls away.

I do have a craft room in our finished basement. But when I want to work on a project in the FR with my family around, I put what I need for that project in a basket and tote it around. Not a perfect solution, but it works.

Another thought - Can you carve out a spot for a small table in your LR or FR where you could work and store your stash in a closet nearby or under the table?

How about an Iris cart? They come in many different configurations.

Not knowing how much you need to organize or store makes it hard. I encourage you to post a picture of what you ultimately end up with. We need to see MORE of small craft spaces!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 01:09 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm not sure what you have for any type of storage room or laundry room area, but that's where my corner is. My laundry room and storage room are in the the same area. My husband got a desk top from work that they were going to throw away. He built it into a table for me. I then bought carts on wheels to store everything in underneath it. Hubby bought a light for the area too. I don't have a lot of space but its mine and the kids know it. :-)

Just a thought. Hope everything works out for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 01:32 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Lets see - when I started scrapbooking the only space I had was a closet under the stairs....my dh put up some shelves on L brackets and I was able to store things there and I had a small bookcase that Dad built years ago that I put my idea books on....after that everything was in rubbermaid or creative memories bags.....I have moved into stamping now and I have no room or designated space......dh and I are working on a solution right now....

I would recommend that you find a space that is not used so much now....like maybe a linen closet or something and convert that space to what you need. At one of our places I had the utility room closet space (it was probably 5ft by 6ft) with wire shelving on one side (6ft long) then I added a large cabinet ($40 at Lowes) and the wire cubes from Target/walmart and put my table at the end....worked fine but I did not like working in a closet without windows ;) So I carried things back and forth to the dinning table! But on that note what about a cabinet in the laundry room or kitchen that would be only for your supplies and a roll around cart (3 or 4 drawer) for your pens, adhesive, glitter and embossing powders, etc (all your tools of the trade!)...Then you can go to the cabinet and get the paper and set you need and roll your cart to the table and begin working!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 03:12 PM   #7  
Inking Addict

Default A simple solution

I didn't have space for a while and just used plastic storage boxes for my stamps and accessories. Then when I needed to stamp something I just pulled out a TV tray. Now that we've moved I actually have my own table (I got a used wood kitchen table for $20 at a garage sale) and 1/2 of our home office. But for you I would suggest a card table or folding table and folding chairs. You can pull it out as your craft table when you need it. I have the kid's size for my daughter for her to do her painting and crafts also.
Hugs and stamps,
Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 03:20 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

If all of your stuff is being stored in your sons room, why don't you take a table (like a card table) to your stuff instead of trying to take your stuff to a table. I too have limited space. I would stamp so much more often if I had the space. I store my stamp stuff in the bottom of my closet and in my linen closet. Then I drag it out to the kitchen table when I want to stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 08:38 PM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

I also have this problem!!! My dh is a college student and we live in a very small 2 bedroom apt. All of my scapping/stamping stuff is in two different size totes in my crowded closet. I don't do nearly as much stamiping or scrapping as I would do if it were more easily accessible. I love to craft but dread getting it all out. I recently went to a CK convention and have now officially outgrown my bags. I would love to hear some innovative, and frugal ideas!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 08:43 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

That target craft armoire looks beautiful!! Sigh!! I'll keep wishing! I look at this site, and drool at everyones beautiful craft rooms!! Maybe its better this way, so I don't buy so much! Okay....... maybe it dosn't really stop me!! I saw the best T-shirt. It said "My husband says I can have as many stamps as I can hide!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2005, 02:20 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Not Surprised

With all of the creative people in this "community", it doesn't surprise me that you all would all come up with such creative ideas for crafting spaces. It always amazes me that the smallest spaces produce the best results given a little thought and creative thinking!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2005, 07:59 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

LOL! (BTW: we live in a crowded one bedroom apt.--the two of us and our two cats) Here's the strategy for staking out my space that worked for me:

1. Start small. I began by using the kitchen table, which for space reasons is located in the office/dining room.
2. Buy supplies with no thought as to where you'll store them. Then when they take over the table, make your case that you HAVE to buy a Crop In Style bag in order to store your supplies (or some other such thing).
3. Continue buying supplies, even when they spill out of the bag. By this point, hubby will be tired of you using the table, and will move the table into the bedroom for you so you can let him "work in peace" on the computer. ;-)
4. Now you're in the bedroom! Excellent! Quietly take over a bookshelf.
5. And the tabletop.
6. And the floor in front of the bookshelf.
7. Then buy a clear over the door shoe holder and stick that up behind the bedroom door--it'll take awhile for him to find that one.
8. Take over another shelf.
9. When the time is right, take yet another shelf...
10. Go buy a set of those wire shelves at Target and create a paper tower. Set the monstrosity unobstrusively between the bookshelf and the dresser.

You'll have now carved out several square feet of space. This process may seem time-consuming, but it took less than a year for me to accomplish. :-)
Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2005, 08:02 AM   #13  

Ann - you are TOO funny...but strangly enough, your story sounds so very familiar!!!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2005, 08:22 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Location: Oil...Hot Pan...Gordon Ramsay sexiest man alive...Done.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsgirl
I saw the best T-shirt. It said "My husband says I can have as many stamps as I can hide!"
This is SO me!!!!!

I might have to make that my signature!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2005, 08:40 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

YIPPIE! DH just said I could take over his closet! I have a walk in and he has the folding door closet but if he moves his clothes in with mine I can move all my stuff into his closet!! ;) AND still keep some of my stuff in my closet too!!!

Now then I have to figure out how to make that space perfect!!! I am thinking of adding a shelf to one of the areas and the other I will put my wire cube thingys and that should take up all the open areas and I can finally get a bit more organized!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2005, 10:02 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by VexedAngel
LOL! (BTW: we live in a crowded one bedroom apt.--the two of us and our two cats) Here's the strategy for staking out my space that worked for me:

1. Start small. I began by using the kitchen table, which for space reasons is located in the office/dining room.
2. Buy supplies with no thought as to where you'll store them. Then when they take over the table, make your case that you HAVE to buy a Crop In Style bag in order to store your supplies (or some other such thing).
3. Continue buying supplies, even when they spill out of the bag. By this point, hubby will be tired of you using the table, and will move the table into the bedroom for you so you can let him "work in peace" on the computer. ;-)
5. And the tabletop.
7. Then buy a clear over the door shoe holder and stick that up behind the bedroom door--it'll take awhile for him to find that one.
10. Go buy a set of those wire shelves at Target and create a paper tower. Set the monstrosity unobstrusively between the bookshelf and the dresser.

You'll have now carved out several square feet of space. This process may seem time-consuming, but it took less than a year for me to accomplish. :-)
Ann
ROTFLMAO .....
OMG!!! Have you been lurking in my home for the past four years!! I flinch every time a door - drawer - closet - cabinet is opened or (Heaven help me) someone looks under a covered table or slipcovered chair - I have just SPREAD all over and attempted to organize ... so I have ORGANIZED clutter ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2005, 02:28 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Wink those lurking stamps etc.

Well, I certianly understand this project! I live in a 3 br trailor and have 4 kids etc. I have had no room until.... I decided to take over the kitched hutch, only the bottom 2 shelves that have material"curtians" on them. Then I just had to have a spot to put all of the thousands of picts that I have of the kids and the scrapbooks too all are on the top shelf of my closet. Yet there is the living room where there is the computer and tv and all the rest of the lr furniture. Guess what is in here... you guessed it! THE STAMPS,PAPER, INKS, DEMO SUPPLIES, AND OF COURSE ALL OF THE MANY THINGS TO STAMP ON. So as we can all see, there is really no where that a dedicated crafter such as all of us can "HIDE". We are just such wonderful people that we spread all of the love and everyone will have to share in it with us. The saga will always continue. Enjoy all of the clutter that in organized as only we can do . And God help the person that tried to HEPL us in our glory! Taishea :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2005, 04:39 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by VexedAngel

5. And the tabletop.

Ann
RTFLMBO!! You're too funny!! Or maybe it's that we all can relate!!

I think Ikea has some really affordable fold down tables. How often does your son come home? Every week or monthly? Could you set up a card table with iris carts and wheel them out when your son comes home?
HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2005, 11:46 PM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

JUST READING ALL THIS MAKES ME FILL RATHER SANE NOW.

WITH YOUR SON COMING TO AND FRO. IT IS VERY HARD. BUT I 'LL TELL YOU WHAT MY MOTHER TOLD ME. I LOVE YOU, YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE A HOME HERE. BUT, IF ALL YOUR GOING TO DO IS SLEEP HERE EVERY NOW AND THEN. THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO SHARE THIS SPACE WITH ME NOW.

I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HOW TO CONVERT CLOSETS. BUT I WOULD GET A TABLE AND PUT IN HIS ROOM. GO TO WALMART/KMART AND BUY THOSE 3 OR 4 DRAW PLASTIC CARTS WITH THE WHEELS. AND WHEN HE COMES HOME I WOULD FOLD THE TABLE DOWN AND HE WOULD JUST HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT.
**** BIG LOTS HAS A GREAT TABLE THAT I BOUGHT FOR $23.00. IT IS NOT A CARD TABLE. IT'S LIKE A FELLOWSHIP HALL TABLE (LIKE YOU WOULD HAVE AT CHURCH) BUT A SMALLER VERSION. I THINKS THEY CALLED IT A BUFFET TABLE IT'S OBLONG, NOT SQUARE AND IT'S GOT A GREAT TOP MADE ON IT. IT CAN FOLD DOWN . IT'S JUST RIGHT, NOT TO BIG, AND NOT LITTLE EITHER. I HAVE A CORNER THAT IS ALL MINE. I WOULD HAVE LIKED TO BEEN ABLE TO PUT ONE ALONG ONE WALL AND ONE ALONG THE OTHER BUT, THEY ONLY HAD ONE.
THEY ALSO HAD A WHITE CRAFT TABLE THERE THAT I BOUGHT AND I HAVE LOVED IT. I GOT 2 GREAT TABLES FOR WHAT ONE NEW CARD TABLE WOULD HAVE COST ME AT WALMART.( NO , I DO NOT WORK AT BIG LOT'S)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2005, 12:41 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

If you have to store you stuff in one area of your home and work in another, I like medium size pizza boxes. I have three going at a time for projects in process. It can hold paper, stamp sets and pads punches, ect. I pick up my pizza box and my small plastic tote with essential tools (scrub, scissors, pencil, tape) and can carry those from my storage area to my dining room table. When I need to take a break I put everything in the box, and clear put it aside. When the project is complete I but everything back and fill up the box with my next project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2005, 05:26 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Lynn: LOL! I had a sneaking suspiscion (sp?) that's how most of us got our space, LOL!
Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2005, 06:42 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Default Thanks Guys ... here's the plan:

You all have been so, so helpful - here is what I need to do over the next few days:

SHOP:
(See Honey, I have to BUY more stuff so I can get a handle on all the stuff I have already bought, you DO want me to use all this stuff, don't you? Seeing as we could not by a new car due to my ongoing INVESTMENT in stamps and related paraphernalia) Gee I hate shopping .... but I need to get to Big Lots and check out those folding tables, we need an extra table for the Holidays anywaynudge, nudge, wink, wink. Also, I have purchased two 6 drawer plastic carts from Sam's Club.

STOP SHOPPING:
Well, At least for a few days - and didn't I just go to Walmart yesterday and pick up some stickers, a dragonfly brass template, some great ribbon that has adhesive on one side (looks like they would match match SU Colors - Only Orange, Real Red, Green Galore, Ballet Blue, Sumer Sun) some cute little 3X3 scrapbooks (HUH!!?? - ut they were only 94 cents each) and some metal accents - similar to the HodgePodge Hardware stuff in silver finish - for all those Christmas projects I will never do....and I almost picked up the little x shaped xyron ...sigh, I really think I need that one.

TAKE INVENTORY:
(see my post in General Stamping Talk about stamping out of a
suitcase ..) I really, really have to dig EVERYTHING out and really, really see what I have. I just have no idea how many stamp sets, magazines, accessories and items I have purchased to MAKE projects (Darn Target Dollar Spot - have any of you actually MADE anything with the stuff you bought there? I mean. off the top of my head I know I bought at least 16 (yes SIXTEEN) of the boxes of blank colored cards with matching envelopes, at least TWO DOZEN of the mini pens, FIVE wooden cutting boards ... well let me not get into THAT ... that sounds like another thread) I have been sneaking things into my house for maybe five years now ... and I still have a TON of stuff in my office at work.

ORGANIZE:
I need to put Like with Like (as suggested by someone in another post) Do I realy need 15 sets of flowers stamps (But Honey, they are all DIFFERENT - this one is elegant,this one is girly, this one is realistic, this one is solid, this is a DD set - oh no that one's discontinued - I CAN'T get rid of that one. Oh I like the funky flowers on that one, and this one is PERFECT for little girl cards) And I really COULD print the verses on the computer ( that would get rid of a DRAWER full of VERSE stamps, then I could put my underwear in my dresser instead...)

DOWNSIZE:
(Shudder, did someone just walk over my GRAVE! I feel a chill in here.)
I really, really have to come to grips with the fact that I WILL NOT be making Christmas, Birthday, Shower, Wedding, Baby gifts and cards for all my friends, family, neighbors, teachers and busdrivers. For goodness sake THREE of my children have MOVED out since I started stamping and I NEVER made ONE teacher's gift. (OUCH! that hurt to say - hold on I'm feeling a little faint, my hands are a little clammy and I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I need to sit down and take a deep breath) I guess I will be posting in the BST forum soon.

Once I get this done, maybe I could actually get some stamping and scrapbooking done, OR I could redecorate my living room by lining my walls with some narrow shelves, and displaying my stamp COLLECTION - well maybe not -can't have everyone I know knowing the dirt, little secret that is making THIS housewife so DESPERATE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2005, 06:50 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOL!! That is too funny!!

Good luck with your plan!!! Let us know when you decide to downsize so we can buy it all up and be in your shoes!!!! OH Wait I am already there!!!!!

8 years of scrapbooking and almost 3 of stamping and I am in the same boat!! I lost my paddle a long time ago and I think we might be springing a leak! 8/ God forbid my husband help me with any more organizing 8|

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2005, 08:44 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

how funny are you - lets us know what you are able to part with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2005, 08:49 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

This is really too funny. And thanks for posting your plan. I need to do some of that myself and it's sooooooo painful.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2005, 10:38 AM   #26  

Default You missed your calling

That is flippin' hilarious...you should write a humor book for Stampers!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2005, 05:17 AM   #27  
Glitter Queen

Default This is absolutely hysterical!!!

INGonzalez!
You are the bomb of typical Stampers!! your writing is hysterical, ever thought of writing a column in a trade (stamping magazine)? You are the new Emma Bombeck!

Funny indeed!!!

Coco in San Diego
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2005, 03:00 AM   #28  
Glitter Queen

I have the same problem many of us have. My husband wants to move and buy a bigger house. I want to stay here and buy more stamps! Anyhow, used the plastic cart thing for a long time...they gave way and wheels fell off. I had stored paper and stamps in both..way too heavy for that. So, i bought a pantry cabinet (looks like an armoire) from Target. I got the maple finish..which is lighter than I wanted, but is usable! It has three big shelves inside and I ahve my stamps organized in there. On top, we got the cubicle thing..and pulled out one of the slots to make a total of 9 cubicles. Now, I have plenty of room to store my paper...12x 12 and smaller too. I totally agree about forgetting what you have..one night when I organized it all...I came across stuff I never knew I had! Best part...I know now where all my stampinup sets ARE and I am having fun using them! I reserved one cart tp pull up to my table(the kitchen table) where i work. I keep ink, punches, glue, ribbon, and all that little stuff in there! Everyone is happy now too!

Colleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2005, 02:59 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

You guys are great. I actually have a room filled with junk that if I just cleaned it out I'd have a place to put a table. But that room is also my eBay room so I haven't gotten it all sorted out yet.

In the mean time I've bought a rolling 3 drawer cart from Walmart for the stamps sets. Then I bought a great big fishing tackle box from the fishing section in Walmart(about $18.00). The tackle box has two compartments, one large on the bottom with 4 smaller plastic boxes that I can put the misc. stamps from Michaels in. There is room to the side of those for the cleaner spray, stamp-a-ma-jig, punches etc. The smaller compartment is actually the lid to the larger compartment. That is where the glue, tape scissors and whatever else fits. The lid on top of the smaller compartment is a florescent orange and see through. It's pretty cool, kind of heavy but it only goes from our sun room to living room and back. I still use a couple of rubbermaid containers for things like paper and ribbon. But this will do for now until I decide to clean the sunroom.

Sandy

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes