Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-18-2005, 03:30 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey all demos....

As a demo for su do you find yourself shying away from other products?
I mean do you only use su products for your personal use?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 03:46 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I have been a hobby demo for about 2 years now ("hobby demo" means I usually meet the sales minimum with my own purchases). I do love all of the SU! products. But I don't personally shy away from other products, but I have to be careful how I spend my money (too many of my purchases from early on have ended up in my 7 yr old daughter's stamping box!!).

I am into the matching/coordinating aspect of SU!, so I find that I don't buy different inks or paper (unless I am looking for a specific texture element).

I do look at the stamp aisle every time I enter JoAnn's or Michael's (craft stores), and I check online sites, too, looking for images to match an idea for a project.

Hope the info helps!

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 04:10 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

For my personal scrapbooking, I use everything. But for card making, gift making, etc. I only use SU! now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 04:19 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I became a demo to support my "habit" so I generally use SU only for cards, etc. The exception is for scrapping, if I see something (usually military or boy oriented) I'll get it, but it isn't real common, partially because I can't afford to spend a lot on my scrapping. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 05:18 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

I do tend to buy generally only SU products. Now if I see something that grabs me then I do have to grab it back and purchase it - which is very rare.
Paula
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 05:37 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

As a demo, I did only buy SU. On a rare occasion I would buy something that SU didn't sell at the scrapbook store to use in my books or on my cards. I am retiring from SU at the end of the month and have already started looking into other stamp company images and what the newest embellishments are available out there. In fact, Saturday I am attending a Rubber Stamp and Scrapbook Expo and can't wait to see what the latest/greatest is because I think I feel more free to buy now that I don't have to support my business.
I FiNallY DiD iT - TAC AnGeL #2645

Check out my gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 06:05 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

When I decided to become a demo, I found myself starting to avoid purchasing other products because I wanted my limited stamping money to go toward my sales quotas and items that I can actually demo in a workshop! That said, I still plan to order Tombow monoadhesive refills from Viking for my personal use, and save the SU! stuff (same thing, just different packaging) for demonstrations. I also pick up the occasional cute single stamp from the dollar store or the $1 bin at Michael's. For the most part, though, I will only buy elsewhere if SU! doesn't offer it.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 03:02 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I use mostly SU! products, but sometimes make purchases from Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Joanne's and Pat Catan's for personal use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 03:11 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

This may sound wierd but I am relieved to be narrowed down to one vendor. In the scrapbooking world there are so many different vendors, styles, and products. I was overwhelmed and I did not use everthing I purchased. Now I use what I buy (mainly because I need to show others how to use it). I do buy other products (mainly KI Memories-luv that stuff), but like the other poster said --I use other products for scrapbooks (with my SU) but not usually for my cards.
I hope this helps.

my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 04:36 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I just recently became a hobby demo. I'm going to try to limit my purchases to SU mainly so I can meet the minimum. I really do like all of SU products but when I see other items in a store where I can hold it and look at it that tempts me. I'm trying to just stay away from Craft/Scrap/Stamp stores for now. In the past I've always used an assortment of companys products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 05:56 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks for all the posts...the reason that I asked is because people are always trying to get me to order from creative memories and I simply do not like anything except there cutters and once you have them you have them...I am a stay at home mom and I signed you to support my hobby and I love su so why purchase stuff that I know that I am not going to use...there is so much in the catalog that I need/want I just have to order it a little at a time...I don't want to waste my $ on stuff that I will not use, but on the other hand people are kind and order from me so I feel obligated sometimes to order from them when they are taking up orders...just wanted to see if there is anyone in the same situation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 06:37 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've drastically reduced the amount of money I spend on non-TAC stamping stuff. With this year's catalog it's been as easy decision to make since our accessories are so diverse. But I do buy occasional other stuff when it's too cool to resist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 09:17 PM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I, ummmm, want it all! :p I love my SU stuff, but I occasionally see another stamp that I "need." And I'm even worse about patterned papers like Basic Grey. The truth is that I could *probably* come close to a profit rather than a net loss IF I limited myself only to SU merchandise. It's all of the other impulse stuff that kills--like a Rollabind. . . and a melting pot. . . and a Crop In Style XXL. . . and those Dyzintec acrylic ink pad storage boxes. . . :( The only one that I really haven't used, though, is my melting pot. What WAS I thinking??? Oh yeah--it was the rage on one of my stamping lists for a few days. . . I could save a ton of money by staying offline so that I didn't know what I was missing!
My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 11:00 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

If it's cute...I buy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 11:06 PM   #15  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

I have found myself caring less if I get to stamping or craft stores, now that I'm a demo, and just a hobby demo to support my habit.

I do sometimes see advanced techniques I like, and have bought some other ink pads because of that - like the Brilliance pads. If SU! carried them, I'd get them from them.

I only get non-SU! stamps for something very specific when SU! doesn't have what I need.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2005, 04:32 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've posted this before, but I love my story, so here goes!! (LOL). I became a hobby demo (with a few sales to friends) to LIMIT my spending. I now buy only SU. There's plenty in the catty to keep me busy. I spend the minimum required, get the hostess benefits and know exactly how much I'm spending every year. I think I figured out that, with the discount and the tax and shipping, it comes to something like $22 a week plus the cost of the starter kit. My DH and I decided that we could afford that.

Best stamping and money decision I've ever made. I've unsubscribed from all the other stores, and when I buy something I know it will coordinate AND I will have a dozen uses for it because there are so many cool samples of SU stuff. Frankly, I was out of control -- magazines at 15 a pop, stamps, papers I never used, inks that didn't match anything, every cool new idea that just sits there, etc.

Little by little, I'm selling off my non su collection of stuff (which is paying for my starter kit), and I'm producing much nicer cards and stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2005, 04:46 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have struggled with this for 3 years now. I have been a demo for that long but a stamper for about 8 years. I definitely miss stamps from other companies but I find that if I can't use it in my workshops it just sits on the shelf and takes up space. Unfortunately, I'm finding that I have almost all of the gadgets from the SU catalog and I'm out of room for more stamps. Could I be out of things to buy? [gasp!]

I do wish that SU sold the twinkling H2o's and Brilliance inks as well as more embossing powders.

Mo

Monica Stockton SCS #2687
Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Alexandria, VA

www.monicastockton.stampinup.net
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/skpupy68
Reply With Quote Likes