Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I combine Handmade Jewelry and Stamping?

I'm new to stamping but am fascinated by the variety and colors. I would love to hear from everyone any ideas they have to make unique handcrafted jewelry combining stamping into the mix.

Look forward to hearing from you all,
Jennifer
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

you could stamp some pendants, put earings onto cards using people images, My grandparents used to make paper beads and turn them into jewelry, you could try something like that, stampe the paper, cut it into long triangle shapes and roll up from thick end to thin end, that might be cool. Try stamping on shrinky plastic stuff and shrink it down to make beads and pendants... I'm just tossin a few ideas, hope you came up with something. I'd love to see what you end up creating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oooo, I do a stamp thing on that really thick embossing powder.

First , you melt the ultra thick embossing powder onto odd shaped glass, then cover it with fantasy film and quickly stamp your image...it is so coooool! i saw it at a stamping show and bought everything to do it at home. Put a bale on the pendant and voila!, you are set to go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

One of the best ways is to use Stampbord. It is a sort of very hard chipboard base with layers of very fine, smooth clay on top which takes ink beautifully. You can colour it, scratch into it (which gives you white highlights) or sand it. If you don't like your original design, you can sand it back too. You can also drill holes into it to put links through to attach to chains etc. It comes in a variety of shapes and sizes too. Have a look on the UK Graphicus site where you will find more information and inspiration: Online Craft Shop - Graphicus
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 04:15 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

There are myriads of ways you can use stamping and designer paper for focal pieces in jewelry! I've seen many examples here in the gallery, and I know you'll have fun combining your two loves.

I also like the idea shared above for stamping your presentations, earring cards, boxes, etc.
TAC demo #2239
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Polymer clay and UTEE are probably my favourite ways of making jewellery with stamps. 53queenbee already mentioned combining UTEE with fantasy film on glass - the first attachment shows an example of how that looks using a backgrounder stamp. Try goolging for faux carnival glass for tutorials if you want them.

Two or three layers of UTEE melted onto heavy chip board makes a fun base too - the second attachment shows a pendant done that way with Perfect Pearls brushed onto the stamp first and then the high spots swiped with metallic paint.

Third attachment is a pendant made with polymer clay and a backgrounder stamp using the mica shift technique which is great fun (Google will find you plenty of tutorials if you want to know how to do mica shift).

Washer pendants are popular and you can stamp paper for those rather than using DP. It was a technique lovers challenge a while ago so you'll find loads in the gallery.

Hope there are some ideas there you can use. Have fun!
Attached Thumbnails
How can I combine Handmade Jewelry and Stamping?-graphictapestryglass.jpg   How can I combine Handmade Jewelry and Stamping?-paisleypendant-.jpg   How can I combine Handmade Jewelry and Stamping?-fucshiamicashift.jpg  

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I have stamped on "Shrink Plastic" and then made a variety of earrings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Oh I forgot! My daughter made her bridesmaid's jewelry! We stamped on that silver clay and fired it. That class was a blast. After it is fired it is 99% pure silver...and gorgeous! She made all 3 for less than $30.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

look at these pretties from outline rubber stamps:
Attached Thumbnails
How can I combine Handmade Jewelry and Stamping?-full_1015.jpg   How can I combine Handmade Jewelry and Stamping?-full_1034.jpg   How can I combine Handmade Jewelry and Stamping?-full_1047.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Don't forget stamping on Dominos!
There are 171 entries in the gallery under SU alone.

I get the white plastic dominos in the toy dept at Target or Walmart.
On line and in LSS's you can also get teeny dominos and other game pieces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 06:18 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

You can stamp a pattern onto paper, make a color copy of the design (even shrink it in the process if you want) then decoupage that onto wooden beads or shapes, or thick cardboard and use the glaze of your choice or ultra thick embossing powder to make it shiny. You can stamp with permanent ink onto beach glass and wrap it in wire. You can stamp on Clearsnap Style Stones. You can sandwich your stamped art between glass and solder them. You could sandwich pieces in between acetate and use eyelets to hold them together. You can stamp polymer clay or ceramic beads and use glaze or paint to bring out the texture. You can put your stamped art inside a bottle cap and solder a hanging loop to the back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 07:09 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 253 Likes on 178 Posts

I have been making washer necklaces and they r super easy. You will want fender washers from home depot and they are 13 cents each..email me if u want more info.

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Two ideas that immediately came to mind were using polymer clay or dominoes. I see that other stampers above have mentioned these ideas already. I also do a lot of jewelry making and stamping so I have taught classes that bring the two together in the past. You might also think of wire working in your card designs, doing hammered designs that the person can take off the card and use for something else like a bookmark later.

Another way I did it was to find some sea glass and teach people to stamp on it, then wire wrap it into jewelry pendants.

Lots of fun!

Cheers, Holley
a new project everyday! Holley's Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 02:22 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Just remembered a book dedicated to this very topic (I'm sure there are others out there but I happen to own this one) - lots of different techniques, materials and styles in there. It's called Rubber Stamped Jewelry and the author is Sharilyn Miller (of Somerset Studios publications). You can see it on Amazon here.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes