Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-21-2007, 09:53 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you alphabetically organize your stamps or don't you.

Right now I have all my stamps sorted by the size of the containers from largest to smallest stacked on top of each other. I am putting them in alphabetic order then by size and by themes. So all the alphabet stamps are together, background stamps. etc etc. Then I take all the alphabet stamps and stack them alphabetically by the name of the stamp, same with the background etc.

I then have them numbered once there all alphabetically organized by sizes and themes. This way it is much easier to put them away once I'm done using them each time. How do you store your stamps and keep them in order. Do you alphabetically store them.

Do you store them by themes or just sizes.
And do you have a record of them. I do for my personal records. insurance purposes. because you never know what will happen if you lose all those stamps . Insurance comapnies need to see these and photo's too.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

First of all, I have a list of all the stamp sets I own. I don't have much..less than 100. I have the list in the front of a three-ring binder. Then I made copies of the sets images and I have them in categories like SU! I have separated current and retired since I only want to demo the current. Before this big retirement list came out, I had three big plastic drawers, two drawers for current (sorted by Alpha A-L and M-Z) and one drawer for retired. Now, I think it's the other way around, one drawer for current and two for the retired ones. I haven't reorganized them but I have my folder organized. I believe I can find what images I want to use this way. I just bring out my folder and look instead of going through all my stamp sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 10:09 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just sort alphabetically, regardless of size. The exceptions are retired sets (I keep them separate, although that may change) and word sets (I keep those in desk drawers so they are handy). Oh, and I separate the alpha sets (alphabetically,, of course, lol!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've changed my stamp storage system a couple of times and now have a system that really works for me. At first I stored them in stacks by theme, that was ok, but it wasted a lot of space on my shelves.

Then I went to storing them stacked by the size of the box they were in; this utilized my space better. I kept an index of my stamps in a binder and marked the box size next to the title of the set (A for the smallest, B for the next size, C...etc.) This saved space but I felt like I couldn't easily find a set I wanted, I had to either remember which size box it was in or go to my binder, look it up and then go to the shelf.

Now I store them alphabetically by the title of the stamp set - standing on edge like books. This way they're in order and I don't have to pull them out of a stack of stamps to get to them. I still keep an index binder, this is sorted by theme and then alphabetically by name. Now, if I know what set I want I can go right to it on the shelf! If I'm looking for ideas I go to the binder first.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 10:14 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I store mine by theme. It doesn't work for me to worry about ABC order because I'm usually not careful to get it back in the right place. I'm happy if it is the right section. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 10:14 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer to store by categories (themes) that way if I'm making something with an Asian theme they are all there to mix and match if I want. I do however have my CTMH clear stamps alphabetically but within their categories as well, I store them almost in a file drawer way. I think because I like to mix and match sets this works better for me.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #7  
Inking Addict

I store mine by theme also. Flowers, words, mens/boys sets, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 10:34 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Lol...I've attemped to organize mine. But then I start playing and I'm too busy to clean up after myself in an orderly manner. The best I can say for myself is in general I've got the background stamps together, and the seasonal stamps together. Of course I only have about 40 sets so no worries

Oh--I did start a binder (yet to be completed) that is like the index scans in the gallery. So each page has a stamp set (I like to scan the stickers before I cut them up and put them on the blocks if I remember) and instead of pulling out all my stamps, I can go through the binder to see what set I want to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 11:06 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I sort by size and then alphabetically, except for the larger size sets (ie: the size that the background stamps come in). For the larger ones I have alphabets together, backgrounds together, image sets together and sentiment stamps together all sorted alphabetically as well. I'm not sure why I did that but it works for me and it's what i'm used to
Isaiah 40:31
check this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Mine are by theme also and manufacturer.....SU,Art Imressions,A Muse,Whipper Snapper,etc,etc............
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine are all stored alphabetically by first letter but not sub alphabetized so I look through all the Cs for crab and company. That way I can just throw it back on the top when I'm done. I have 150+ sets and that works for me. I don't have so many of each letter that it takes me more than 10 seconds to find something and I can grab and get or put back with one hand!

My goal, to make a binder with each set so I can see the sayings in one place!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 12:06 PM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Word sets, Alphas, and Backgrounds are sorted separately, but not alphabetically. All others are by size.

Current sets in my stamping area, retired sorted the same way, in the den.

For now, retireds outnumber the currents by a huge margin!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2007, 12:17 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I took a picture of each stamp set. It took an entire weekend just to take the pictures! The pictures are in a photo album organized by themes: alphabets, animals, backgrounds, children, Christmas/winter, Easter/Halloween, floral, nature, vacation/travel, vintage, etc. I used the tab punch from SU (attached with brads) to mark each category � leaving room for the yet to be purchased stamps. I printed the title of the category on clear labels to put on the tab. The stamp sets are in the drawers of a hutch by category.

The non-SU stamps were photographed in groups by the same categories. Those stamps are stored in shallow toolbox drawers (wooden unit bought at Sam�s).

For the wheels I scanned the page from the catalog that showed the print of the wheel. Next I enlarged the page and printed out the wheels to be almost actual size. The individual wheel cutouts were put in the book near the coordinating stamp set � or at least in the proper category.

I brought the finished product to a SU party and everyone loved it. ;) I can take the album to parties and to the store to prevent duplicates. I can just look through the book to see what stamps I want to use instead of taking the stamps out. Some days I just want to handle the stamps to become inspired.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2007, 12:23 PM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

MY SU stamps are on the shelf and alphabetical amongst themselves. My TAC stamps are in a CD holder and alphabetical amongst themselves. I do not buy individual stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2007, 12:35 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a 3-ring binder with a list of all my stamps, by manufacturer, in alphabetical order.
As I memorize all my stamps and sets, alpha order for me is the only way to keep them.

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2007, 05:16 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Before I dismounted all my SU sets, I kept the boxes on shelves by size, alphabetically within each size. Now I keep other things on my shelves! ;) All of my UMs (in their envelopes) are filed alphabetically by set name -- SU, TAC and Paper Trey are stored in separate photo-boxes.

My stamp 'catalogs' are also filed alphabetically -- I stamp the sets on 4 x 6" index cards when I get them, so I know they all work properly. I use my Rollabind punch on the left-hand edge of the card and keep them in 'books'. My SU 'catalog' is 4 volumes (on the biggest Rollabind discs), my TAC is one volume (nearly full) and my Paper Trey is *really* thin, but it won't be for long! :mrgreen:

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2007, 05:20 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I kinda sort mine by theme -- "word" sets and individual stamps in top drawers, then flowers, then shapes and BG's, then whatever is left :>) Works for me and since I'm not a demo, I don't have to worry about retireds or currents.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2007, 06:04 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I am a binder person. Each set is copied before mounting, assigned a row number which is clearly marked by the images in the binder. Then I punch out a small image - write the row # on it and attach to case - then put it in the bookcase in that row. All I have to do is look in the binder - see the # and go to that row and retrieve. Since I have several stamp sets out at a time, I can easily put them back where they belong by looking at that small punched image with the # on it! Single stamps are in IRIS drawers according to themes. These are also stamped & placed in binder. Works for me!
Reply With Quote Likes