Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-06-2004, 06:17 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you get over "creative block"?

Hi all!

I guess I should introduce myself first. I found this site about 3 weeks and have become totally addicted to it ever since! There are so many WONDERFUL ideas here and the support that you seem to give one another is truly inspiring.

My name is Molly and I live in KS. I have been involved in scrapbooking for over 7 years now, but was just introduced to stamping about a year ago. OMW --- stamping has become more addicting for me than scrapbooking (and I thought nothing could take the place of that). I tend to spend HOURS looking at all the different ideas and dream of all the people I could send cards to in order to brighten their day , but I guess my perfectionism gets in the way of me actually sitting down and creating the cards.

Do any of you have words of wisdom of how to get over the perfectionism in order to start creating? Do you have a system that you could share? I have a relatively small collection of stamps (about 20 sets) so far --- but that is sure to change as this passion continues to grow. Do you try to just use one or two stamp sets at one time to create cards -- or do you get put all those supplies and just dig right in. My stamping projects tend to take over my entire living room and dining room in just a matter of minutes

Thanks so much for any help you can provide -- and I look forward to being a part of this fantastic stamping community.

Molly
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2004, 06:23 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi, Molly! I tend to get creative blocks quite often. I come here and look for something to CASE, or go to resources and look at the different techniques. Lately when I've been trying to break through that wall I try a new technique - there are so many great things to try!!! If I still feel blocked after looking here (doesn't happen often, but still happens. . .) I just get out my stuff and stamp anyway. I have a couple of "stand-by" ideas, things I do over and over. Usually by the time I've finished one card I've got a ton of ideas! Anyway, hope this helps.
Becky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2004, 06:40 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend (and won't name any names, but she knows who she is!) that used to be VERY particular. Well, we are still a bit on the AR side, but still, you know what changed that, and for the better?

Messy techniques. Get yourself all inked up, and all hot and bothered from using your embossing gun too much, and things will change! Oh! And most everything could use a bit of glitter. You can make the most simple card, and add a bit of sparkle, and be just READY to take on the piles of cardstock and make MORE!

Oh - and here I am, trying to stall because I have NO ideas for my dear niece's home school graduation ceremony today. I need to make a card and have no clue! LOL This site is such a terrific resource, and will help you to get over your stampers block for sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2004, 07:01 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

When I'm stuck for ideas I will try to start with one element of the card. Maybe it's the color combination. I may take a color combination from the color wheel, a card I like, or from the inspiration sheets and start there. After deciding on the color combination, I may choose the stamp set. Once I have that I play with some tried and true layouts I have done in the past. Things just seem to flow from there. There are times when ideas just aren't flowing. That's when I CASE ideas. Sometimes it's fun just to do that. Usually when I start CASEing, my own ideas pop up.

We all go through creative blocks sometimes. When it comes to perfectionism, just remember -. This is art. Sometimes my favorite projects come out of a mistake.

Kathleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2004, 09:38 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I CASE....alot sometimes I find that going to the gallery or doing a search on the web for the stamp set you want to use is an awesome way to get the juices flowing. I have had a stamp set that I just could not think of anything to do with and then done a search and either found exactly what I want or I get enough of a spark going to come up with something on my own. My problem has always be when to stop...lol Terri Clark's Emotional Girl is so me. lol

I also go thru all my swaps and RAKS I have CASEd many a great idea from my swaps and RAKS Hope this helps
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2004, 10:36 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Hi Molly!

I have two ideas for you. First, my mantra. I go to stamp camps with a fun group of gals every month and they all SING it. It's "Every mistake is an opportunity for embellishment". Smudged ink? Time for some ribbon! Bent edge? Perfect for a ripped edge! Got a dot on something? Stick an eyelet there. So, when you're done fuming over a boo-boo, just say "Hey, I could put ______ on that!"

Second, try working on something that's supposed to not be perfect. Take out 3 coordinating colors and a stamp set. Do a few collage sheets. Stamp ALL over the papers in no particular order. Make sure the images are pretty close together and/or overlapping in spots. Then use pieces of this paper for scrapbooking layouts, cards, and other projects. It'll disinhibit you There are other great "messy" projects too.... the shaving cream technique, etc.

Have fun!
KR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2004, 12:38 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

These are all great ideas for getting those creative juices flowing. I get most of my inspiration from either this web site or from the cards I have saved that were given to me or created at camps and parties.

Also, I found that when I am sitting in my rocking recliner with one (or both!) of my twin boys sleeping in my lap, I just think about stamping and let the rocking motion carry my thoughts away. Next thing I know, I have come up with a great idea that I can't wait to get started on! This also works for my quilter's block. Nothing like a quiet house, my favorite chair, and happy kids to help me get past my creative blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2004, 08:58 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Somtimes I generate ideas simply by starting to stamp. -- Without a clear idea in my head of what I intend to create. I take a full sheet of cs, combine colors of paper and ink that I like, a set that I like and just start filling the page, for a background perhaps. Then I add the primary image in a coordinating or contrasting color, and play from there. I just started doing this (quite by accident, actually!) and I was AMAZED at the ideas that came to me after I had a few sheets of stamped cs, using one set, with coordinating colors, and just started playing around with what went with what. That's how I came up with most of my Petal Prints designs. Up til then I had never tried this before. And I will be tyring it again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2004, 09:13 PM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

A friend and fellow demonstrator friend of mine got a good saying from one of her customers:

"Better DONE than PERFECT"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2004, 04:55 AM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I find I get a lot of my best ideas while I am lying in bed waiting to go to sleep! If I've been stamping, that's usually when I get these sleepy time inspirations. I need to start keeping a notebook, pen and a flashlight just so I can jot them down. Usually, though, I remember the best ones the next day.

It depends on why I am stamping. If I'm working on samples from a mini catalog set so I have some to display, I have to start with the stamp set. I look at the set and see what it says to me about what technique would look good with it. I think about what other set is similar and what I've done with that. I look at the different stamps and see what they remind me of. That usually starts my creative juices going.

If I'm going for a technique for a class, I choose a set that will be the best showcase of that technique, preferably one that my customers have not seen before so that they will buy it after they do the cool card I design, LOL!

Sometimes none of this works and then what I find helpful is to stop stamping, get a good mystery novel and forget all about stamping for a day. This usually works like a charm. Other times, I have to make myself continue if I have a deadline. Then I'll CASE an idea from someone else and just starting out with that will kick me into gear and I'll end up changing it into something else entirely.

I am a perfectionist and that will not change, I'm afraid. Just yesterday I made two samples from the Summer mini...there was just something so not right about them. I ended up tearing them apart and redoing them!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2004, 05:17 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I am a horribly AR person myself and find that I case way more than I should. Sometimes its so hard to think of what to do when you're staring at that blank sheet of cardstock! Not only am I AR, I'm also cheap so I hate to 'waste' supplies by experimenting!

I find that I come up with my most creative ideas when I'm stamping with friends. Even if it's just one other person. Not only because you can bounce ideas off them and they can suggest things, but because I'm too embarrassed to stamp the way I usually do. Which is to start something, not like it halfway through, then throw it out and start over by casing someone else! I feel pressure to finish what I've started when someone is watching me. I've finished some great ideas that way.

So find a few stamping buddies and get stamping! Are there any other Splitcoasters around where you live?

Laura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2004, 05:42 AM   #12  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I love it when stamping with kids, I usually have them from age 5 and on up. They come to do fair projects for 4-H and sometimes they have ideas that I would never have thought of. It really gets your mind working watching them stamp. I do love this site though for ideas and most of all inspirations!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2004, 06:59 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is horrible, and I'm hoping I'm not the only one to do this. BUT,
when I'm blocked, I head for the nearest Hallmark. :shock:

I take a pocket sketchbook and jot down notes, quotes I like, etc. If I didn't think they'd kick me out of the store, I'd even take my camera!!! LOL!

I love their cards--just can't bring myself to pay those kinda prices, tho!

They always seem to have some cool idea that can be easily translated with stamps . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2004, 09:08 AM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tee hee :lol: you can do the same thing looking through the Current catalog; I've done that too! Much more private and then your customers don't catch you in a CARD shop! :lol:

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2004, 09:13 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh, man! I think Current dropped me from their mailing list as I haven't seen one in EONS!!! I used to do that, too! LOLLOLLOLLOL! I better get back on that darn list! Ha!

BTW, Miss Janine--I NEED your snail!!!!! Please email me! I wanted to send you a card for the BRIDE (Daisy Crazy) template you shared!

PLEASE!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2004, 01:09 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Default here's where my hubby comes in...

The other night I was suffering from stamper's block. (hehe)

I had an idea that worked! I handed my catalog over to my husband, who has great taste but has probably never looked at even 20 pages of the catalog, and said "Find a card you like. Whether it's color, layout, or the stamps, and I'll stamp it." I wondered if he would gravitate towards my favorites or pick something I've never looked at twice.

The latter was correct, for sure!! The two cards that he picked would have never been noticed by me. I changed the stamp on one, and the other I changed the stamps and colors. They turned out to be beautiful, exceptional cards that are different that my usual style but wonderful! So, if you need an idea, your husband just may be able to help, lol!

Christy Whetten
SU demo and
CLC (Certified Lactation Counselor)
(Yes, I've stamped and nursed at the same time, lol!)
Reply With Quote Likes