Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-01-2005, 03:36 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you like your metallic stamp pads as opposed pearl ex

I like the idea of just getting the mettalic stamp pads.then I don't have to go through the pearl ex and the heating process.

So those of you who own both.what are your feelings about the two.Should I go with mettalic pads or just buy some more pearl ex powders.As of now I don't have any mettalic pads just read about them and it said that it gives you the look of the peral ex after stamping with them.I own 1 set of pearl ex powders. I need some oppions before I spend more money.Help me make up my mind on which ones to buy.

What are the best colors to start out with.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 04:18 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Default Pearl Ex

I love my Pearl Ex powders. I have the large flat watercolor brush and I use it for big backgrounds with PE and I use the medium brush if I am wanting to color different parts of one stamp in different colors.

I was a bit confused by what you said about the Pearl Ex and heat...you don't have to heat Pearl Ex, that is the beauty of it

The metallic pads are nice, but those you either have to let set and dry or you have to heat to dry, or you have to emboss. I personally do not like the metallic pads nearly as well. Besides the dry time, the stamps are also a real pain to clean up after you use the metallic pads.

I would recommend Pearl Ex and Versamark over Metallic pads any day...but that is just my opinion. I'm sure others will have other advice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 04:36 AM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I find the metallic pads messy and hard to clean. I would much rather use the versamark with pearl ex brushed on, heat and stick powder with pearl ex brushed on or a metallic embossing powder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 05:04 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Okay girls. Then make me like Pearl Ex. I have never had any success using this stuff (other than putting it in hairspray!) I have several customers asking about this and don't want to tell them that I just don't like it! :oops:

Please help!
- Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 05:15 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

You can mix PearlEx with clear embossing powder, or brush over VersaMark (needs to be sealed). I love the irridescence (sp?) of it compared to the metallic stamp pads. You get effects that you just can't get with the pads. You can also brush it over the Premo clay, and it melds with the clay when baked (no sealant needed). Have you seen the ads in stamping mags for the new PearlEx stamp pads? They look awesome. Maybe SU will replace the powders with the pads in the next catalog...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 05:18 AM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Try this thread for ideas...

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 05:21 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

I have both and I feel like they are Apples and Oranges. I don't think one really could replace the other. Pearl ex has a lot of versatility and adds shimmer - but I really don't think it looks mettalic. The mettalic colors are the actual gold, copper, and silver inks. The pearl ex powders have so many color choices and can be added to inks, clear mediums, and versamark to creat just about any kind of shimmer from heavy to light. JMHO The mettalic inks are hard to clean off - I don't use my scrubber. I use a wet wipe or run them under water so they don't get all over eveything else. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 06:53 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I haven't tried Pearl Ex yet but I have a metallic pad that takes forever to dry and is really messy like everyone has posted.
I am wanting to try PE but am needing more info too.
Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 09:08 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jostamper
You can also brush it over the Premo clay, and it melds with the clay when baked (no sealant needed).
I just made a polymer clay piece last week where I brushed the PE powder on before curing (I was experimenting with different techniques to see which one worked best), and it does still come off afterward. I used the Fimo brand clay.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes