Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you store/organize your scraps???

Okay I'm almost all organized except for my scrap papers. I would really like some input on how you store yours? I have heard of not keeping anything smaller then either at 2x2 size. I also heard of a lady cut her scraps down to a 2x2 size or for larger scraps she cute them down to a 4x6 size then stored them in a bow that fit them. Does any one out here do this and if so how does it work for you??

Thanks you so much I'm excited to hear all of the ideas??

Regan
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2006, 07:36 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Well...my scraps are currently in one big drawer that I have to "dig" through if/when I look through my scraps. ;)

This is one thing that I would love to get more organized also!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2006, 07:59 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Talking A shoebox... LOL

Mine are currently in a shoebox. I stand them on edge so I can flip through quickly. I think I will make manila dividers to sort the scraps by color.... reds, blues yellows, purples... etc.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2006, 08:01 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I use these clear plastic envelope things from container store - sorted by color. the clear plastic makes it easy to figure out which batch to grab!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2006, 03:49 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My scraps are in drawers - red/orange/yellow, green/blue/purple, neutrals, and patterned paper. I also have a large (like the size of a rectangular laundry basket) rubbermaid container full of scraps. I don't know what to do with them all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2006, 03:55 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I store my scraps in two plastic 3-drawer units from Walmart...anything larger than quarter sheet size are in hanging file folders by color. I save all sizes....so often I grab the tiny ones for word window punches and the like.
I have blues, reds/pinks, black/white, greens, yellow/orange and tans/browns together....but scraps are in a drawer, so are easy to flip through for the right size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2006, 04:18 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have to confess I am a little indiscrimate when it comes to scraps...if I think at that particular moment it's big enough to use it again, I put it back in with the color folder it came from in the front. I keep my cardstock in hanging file folders, each color has its own folder.

This system seems to work very well for me, because then I know what color the scrap is and because they are at the front of the folder, it's easy for me to pick out the size I need in that color.

HTH!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2006, 04:34 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I also use the 3 drawer units from Walmart. I have 2 units and each drawer has a color family in it (BB, EE, RR, SS, Neutrals and Misc). I put anything under a card front size in there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2006, 04:37 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

after several systems I have finally organized all of my paper by color, 12X12, 8X11, and a cheap 8X11 page protector for the scraps with the name written on both sides. This way when I need a color it is all in the same place, and I have stopped cutting larger pieces because I couldn't locate a scrap.

Oh all of my paper is in the new SU vert. storage, I don't know if they are still on back order, but they are great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2006, 05:04 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I also store my paper in hanging files. I keep my scraps right in the front of the folder. Otherwise I'd go straight for the whole page rather than check for a scrap. And I guess the tag punch becomes a whole new reason to keep small scraps!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2006, 05:06 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I also use the 2 of the 3-drawer plastic units from Wal-Mart. I tried several options and this works the best for me. My drawers are also organized by color families, neutrals, and misc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2006, 05:09 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeimFamily
I also store my paper in hanging files. I keep my scraps right in the front of the folder. Otherwise I'd go straight for the whole page rather than check for a scrap. And I guess the tag punch becomes a whole new reason to keep small scraps!
Scraps are great for using the tag punch or other punches, for that matter! Then you don't have to muck up a whole piece of cardstock for just that one punch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2006, 05:27 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I just started a whole new system of paper storage. Target's dollar spot had these clear plastic envelopes like the craft keepers that were 4 for a dollar. I bought 60 of them and have one for each color of cardstock. I just keep my scraps right in the envelope with the cardstock. I'm loving it so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2006, 05:31 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I keep my card stock in hanging files. I then keep my scraps in the front of each folder in a zip lock bag (either sandwich or quart size). Easy to grab when I need a scrap and easy to drop right back into the folder when done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2006, 08:09 AM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

Default organizing scraps

I sort mine by colour in an accordian file. (Business size) I keep all sizes of scraps (small scraps are great for sizzix alphabets or making tags). It works great.
My last pockets are for specialty paper such as vellum scraps and pattern scraps.
Margie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2006, 08:31 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm with you Margy... I have an accordian file.... and it works well... when it starts to "bow" and gets hard to close I sort through and realize I am anal trying to keep "EVERY" scrap... and sort through them again....
But I do go through and use them and having them sorted by colour makes it easy and quick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2006, 08:39 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I store large scraps in an accordian file - generally according to general color (red/pink, orange/yellow, green, blue/purple), and then for scraps smaller than a quarter page or so, I do the same thing with our medium sized stamp cases (bought some extras) - they are easy to stack, use and they hold a lot of scraps - they work better than accordian for small pieces because in the accordian files they sink to the bottom you have to pull out everything to look through - the stamp cases are easy to sort through to find the size shape you want. Also, by not having a separate pile for every one of the 50-some colors, the sorting task is much easier (and more importantly, less daunting) - just one of 5 or 6 piles to choose from. You can do the actual color matching when you need the scraps later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2006, 03:36 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

I organize my 8 1/2 x11s in hanging files. In each file I have a page protector for scraps and a sandwich baggie for smaller scraps. When I can use scraps I go to the sandwich bags first. With this system I actually use my scraps instead of just keeping them but when I want a particular color go for the full sheet.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2006, 08:17 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I sort mine by color family in clear page protectors in a 3 ring binder. Each protector is labeled with the color. Right now I have 2 binders, but may expand to 4 and put one color family per binder. I save anything that is big enough to stamp on. No use wasting perfectly good paper!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2006, 01:02 AM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

I am fairly new to stamping and have started collecting all the different color families. Currently, I'm using manilla folders until I get my hanging files set up. I have each color assortment in it's own folder and all the scraps in a separate one...for a total of 8 folders. I've been thinking about different ways to do it and I think the best way once I get a file system set up is to have one file for each of the 48+ colors and keep the scraps in the same file either in a ziploc or sub-folder. I agree that if the scraps aren't with the uncut paper, it's too tempting to be lazy and not "dig" for what you need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2006, 12:57 PM   #21  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnmharrison
I am fairly new to stamping and have started collecting all the different color families. Currently, I'm using manilla folders until I get my hanging files set up. I have each color assortment in it's own folder and all the scraps in a separate one...for a total of 8 folders. I've been thinking about different ways to do it and I think the best way once I get a file system set up is to have one file for each of the 48+ colors and keep the scraps in the same file either in a ziploc or sub-folder. I agree that if the scraps aren't with the uncut paper, it's too tempting to be lazy and not "dig" for what you need.
This is what I do...48 folders. I don't have a ziplock. I just throw the scraps in the folder. They are heavy, though. I have 5 pretty file cases with handles, 12 colors in each. The fifth has a folder for neutrals, vellum, gold, silver, etc. I'm sure the hanging files are much handier. I just don't have the room.
The problem is forcing myself to put the scraps back in the folder before I forget which color it is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2006, 05:02 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni M&M Stamper

I also store all of my cardstock in hanging file folders and put my scraps in the same file folder in the front. I initially tried to keep scraps in a separate tub but found I was just too lazy to try and dig through the pile of scraps.
FS #44
My Blog: wheremmsgather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2006, 05:25 AM   #23  
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

I(well DD actually) finally organized all my cardstock.

I have some awesome file folder tabs that are made from the actual cardstock with the name and order# printed on them.

I have these in a hanging folder.

My scraps are a different story. I just have them in a box:( and I never remember them:confused: or won't take the time to find them so I waste so much cs.

I will be considering some of the suggestions from here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2006, 05:34 AM   #24  
Glitter Queen

I store mine in a accordian file, i put a little piece of color in the corner and then put the scraps color coded into the file. I used to keep them in a drawer but it took forever to find the color, this is easier because i can find them quickly and its all in a 15x15 standing accordian file that closes with handle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2006, 06:02 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 520 Likes on 234 Posts

I use the sterilite drawer thingys from walmart too--although I don't have them in the "cabinet" they came in, but in a piece of furniture that holds them, actually 72 of the drawers! My drawers have one color family in each--bb, ss, ee, rr, discontinued colors, then 4 for the neutrals. I keep quarter sheets in front, scraps in back. I have hanging files for half sheets and whole sheets.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2006, 09:09 AM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

Location: In my dream house with my dream man and our two hairy friends
Default Craft Keepers

I bought the 12x12 clear craft keepers at Michaels when they were on sale for ninety-nine cents. I sort my scraps by basic color families ie., pinks & reds, yellows, blues, greens, neutrals, etc. I also have files marked specialty paper for glossy, vellum, metallic, etc. I folded the top flaps inside the pocket and wrote the color on the top with permanent marker. Then I file them in a mini scrap tote because I take them to stamp camps with me. It also fits under my work table and I just pull it out when I'm stamping. I file anything including cs, patterned paper, chipboard, etc. that is big enough to punch out. Sometimes when I need a mat or tag I will find a patterned paper that looks great and gives dimension to the project that I would have never thought of if it wasn't filed in the scraps. I use this all the time. I never cut from a full sheet of cs unless I've looked in my scraps first and can't fine the color I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2006, 09:51 AM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

Mine are also in a shoebox, stored on its side with the scraps sorted by color scheme. I do not keep very small scraps - around 3 inch or larger is what I save.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2006, 09:55 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

What a good thread. I am sooo unorganized with scraps. I currently have 2 drawers I use. I put large in one and small in the other. I absolutely hate digging through them. I so need to do something. The accordian files sound pretty good so far.

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2006, 10:34 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

I just finished organizing my scraps last night. I have gallon ziploc bags in each color with one for patterned and one for vellum. It has come in handy because I make a lot of cards and use a lot of punches so I just go to the color I want and pick from there. So handy. I never used my scraps before, just collected them, but now I use them.

They are organized by general color though.. reds/oranges/yellows... and so on... oh i hate to say it but I don't have much SU paper and if i use it, it is only for my very special projects!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 10:54 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

I confess - as organized as I am with the rest of my cardstock and other supplies, I just throw the scraps in a drawer. At first it wasn't a problem, but now I spend way too much time scrounging around looking for the right color in the right size. Larger scrap pieces I do put on the shelves with the full-size cardstock. I do have a small, spare plastic storage bin with 3 drawers. Maybe I'll try to use that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 11:38 AM   #31  
Failed Lurker

Anything larger than half a sheet of cs goes back with the cardstock.

Anything smaller goes into a clear bag with scraps of the same colour. All blues together; all greens together etc. When I make a card, I start with the scraps bag and only use the "real" cardstock if I can't find anything big enough or of the right shade.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 11:38 AM   #32  
Failed Lurker

You know, reading my post again... I almost sound quite organised, don't I? ;) (It's soooooooo untrue!!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 12:04 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

I store mine in a 3 drawer bin thing. One for WARM colors, one for COOL and then NEUTRAL. I use to keep every little piece but now I only keep 2x2 (about) or larger and I cut off any "hanging bits". I do keep thin strips so I can quill with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 12:22 PM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

I have two rolling crates, on file cabinet wheels under my desk. One is full of vertical clear string tie envelopes of 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock. Each envelope is labeled.
The other has vertical 12 x 12 clear string envelopes with cardstock or printed paper. And more of the 8 1/2 x 11 vertical string folders with SU cardstock by color family.

Half sheets are stored in opaque (like clear) box organizers I got at Staples. There is one with non-SU half sheet cardstock (by color) one with SU half sheet cardstock by color. One with half sheet and quarter sheet print paper by color And one with layer pre-cuts by colors.

I try to fit as much as I can into these envelopes and boxes . That way, less small scrap to deal with. I keep anything over 2 x 2 to use with a punch. On left over edges, I use my Word Window punch and have a box full of all colors ready when ever I need one or the kids need some.

The rest of the scraps are in one 8 1/2 x 11 horizontal string envelope. I go thru this almost daily. I always look in my scrap envelope first, before going to a pre-cut box or envelope of full sheets.

My best motto! If it is too small to use, throw it away! You can only save so much paper! Cut tags and word window punches out of small pieces. Squares, circle punches use scrapes great. File them with their color family.

Just my 2 cents!

Karen

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 01:46 PM   #35  
Compulsive Stamper

I have had my scraps in regular file folders, in one file that is plastic and open at the top. Each tab has the color written on a scrap of that color so is very easy to access or find the color. I also have folders for vellum, craft, naturals etc. at the back. They are then in order of the color families, pastels, brights, regals then earth in the order that Su has them in. Finally, I keep this open- top file holder at my feet next to my chair so all I have to do is reach down to my right to pull out whatever I need. It is simple and yet I have saved so much paper this way. I can either pull out a piece or the entire folder to look through to find the size I need. Works like a dream.

Hope this helps someone. It sure has done the trick for me. I hate to waste my paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 02:33 PM   #36  
Glitter Guru

Ummm......are we supposed to keep our scraps!

I keep mine in the hanging folders that I store my cardstock in. When I cut my paper I just throw it in there and get it out when I need it.

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 03:35 PM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

My full sheets of CS are in hanging files. I keep my scraps (anything 1/4 sheet CS or smaller) in a photo box. I made dividers for each color from cereal boxes, taped a square of each color card stock on the cardboard and labeled with a tag up on top. I arranged the colors alphabetically within each color family. It took time to do but now I never have to guess what color a scrap is and I can easily find a small piece if I am testing how different colors of ink will look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 03:52 PM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Well this might sound a little wierd! I only use SU cardstock so I have a ziplock bag with the name written on it for each color. Then I just throw them in a bin. I keep *all* my scraps. When they get to little to use I make hand made paper out of them and use them again lol. No waste here!!

As for pattern paper....If I have scraps I just make cards with them right then and there. I find that if I save them I will never go back to them.
Reply With Quote Likes