Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-17-2005, 07:44 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How long do you spend designing/making your cards?

Call me crazy, but I spend an enormous about of time designing/making my most special cards. I think because I'm a SAHM with a preschooler at home I need another outlet that doesn't involve a repetitive chore. My latest card was designed and made over four days (mind you with many interruptions).

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Am I too obesessed with my cards?? How long to you spend on your most elaborate cards??

Obsessed with stamping and SU,
Brenda (Qbee)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 08:06 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What great cards! I can see why they took you a while to do. I don't have the patience to do cards like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 08:25 AM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Where the Kookaburra's sit in the old gum tree's...
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OMG!!!! :shock: Your card is absolutely beautiful!!!!! I can understand why it took the time it did, you've done a superb job on it! My cards are no where near as detailed at this one! I would have to say though, that I too spend a lot of time when coming up with original designs. Deciding on a layout is probably the biggest challenge I face. I tend to have an idea in my head of how I want it to be, but when it comes right down to it, that's when it all changes and time ticks on.....still, once it's done then away I go! TFS this masterpiece !
p.s. I don't think you are obsessed at all! I am sure the recipients of your works of art are in awe and truly appreciate the beauty of them! Better than a Hallmark I'd say!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 08:26 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

OMG . . . WHAT GORGEOUS CARDS !!! :shock:

No wonder it takes you so much time . . . I haven't gotten anywhere near that quality of card making, but I'm sure it would take a while based on how long my current ideas can take (a few hours at least).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 08:27 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

My cards aren't nearly as beautiful & detailed but it also seems to me I spend way too much time designing my card layout. I have a swap due tomorrow and I've been playing with the design for 2 weeks. I think I finally have it figured out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 08:31 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Beautiful card!!! I wish I had your talent. When I am designing/making cards it usally takes me about 20 minutes to get into it. I NEVER sit in the chair and know exactly what I am going to do unless I am casing a card.

A couple of weeks ago I created 4-5 cards in about 10 hours. We had a girls' craft day at a friend's house. (I am obsessed with detail...and we had food and much chatter going on as well.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 08:31 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

That card is beautiful!

With a busy preschooler interupting your work I can see where it would take days to design that card.

I also have a preschooler (4) and a baby 13 months and I am a SAHM too.

I usually design my cards late at night after everyone goes to bed, so I spend a few hours and it makes nice unwind time. I also work out designs in my head sometimes before I ever get to the supplys. I am getting ready to do a birth announcement for my sister I don't know how long it will take. I did a birthday invitation for my other sister and it did take few days. I made all of the stamped images I would possibly use and cut them out so I could play around with position. Afte I get the design figured out it does't usually take to long to make the finally cards, but this can still take days with the kids around.

K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 09:18 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Those are absolutely amazing. I with I could come up with some ideas like this one. WOW is all I can say.

BTW I'm still pretty new, but have only spent about 1 hour on my most elobrate card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 09:22 AM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I love doing what I call "project cards," those that are a challenge and are rather involved, specially designed for the recipient. I really like 3D techniques and special cutting (like your card), and lots of different techniques using various supplies/mediums. No surprise, I subscribe to the Technique Junkies Newsletter. So my cards often take me a long time, over a few days on and off, but I have the time and I love doing it. It's kind of an adventure, and I find the creative process very fascinating. Sometimes, it's more difficult for me to design a really good "simple" card. I admire those that can come up with great "minimalist" cards in jiff. That's a very special talent. Linda

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 09:26 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

well, I don't spend as much time as you did on this card, but my cards are not THAT elaborate either. you didn't happen to make 2 so you can send me one did you?? I LOVE that card!!!

it usually takes me an hour or so to design a card, and sometimes more if I'm stummped, or trying something new. but usually after an hour on one card if I'm still not done, or if I'm stuck I frequently put it away for another day.

thanks for sharing your lovely card!
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 09:38 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Holy, holy, holy shmolies. Those are insanely awesome cards. I cannot even type what I'm thinking. I am just blown away!!!!!! Mind if I CASE them for easter, no reason for me to rack my brain, cuz I'd never come up with something close to what you've created.

They are incredibly creative and beautifully handcrafted. Holy shmolies I could go on forever. WOW!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 10:28 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow! It's pretty hard to type this since my jaw dropped to the floor. Your cards are incredible. I probably spend more time than you designing my cards which are nowhere near your magnificent work. And you actually send them to someone else?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 10:38 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I ditto what everyone else has said about your wonderful cards. I probably would have takem me weeks, ha, ha!! You are incredibly talented and creative.
If I case a card, which I rarely do, because then it will not be my card, it does not take me long. But if I make one from scratch it could take all day, then I usually will make 2 to 4 of them and never repeat it again. I only do cards for friends and family, I am a demonstrator only in name. I am disabled and I have never had a workshop or even given a party. Therefore I do not need to do a lot for demo's, workshops and swaps, like you all do.
Taking all day with a design really helps to fill up my day. I am very thankful to have become interested in stamping and to have found this site!
I am really in awe with those of you that have small children that you must watch, how do you fit stamping into your day?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 10:53 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Adding my voice to the chorus of praises on your cards! You're a truly talented artist to be able to come up with the concept and then carry it through.

If I could do a card like that in my lifetime, I'd be happy! I'm not especially artistic and I only visualize the bare bones (color, layout, main image) in my head before I start. Then once I get going I often need to change things because my original plan doesn't work like I thought it would.

Really, I end up case-ing a majority of cards from SCS. And the time it takes me to finish one is horrendous by the time I gather all my supplies and get set up (don't have a central stamping space yet, working on that now). I couldn't have done it when my kids were little, because of the time they took and because of the time I take in making cards.

Keep stamping, the world needs your cards!
Rosie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 11:08 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow. Can I be on your RAK list to get one of these? What talent. No wonder it takes you a long time. I wouldn't want to send these out after taking that much time with them. TFS.

Wana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 11:17 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Holy s___.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 11:21 AM   #17  

You card is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!!! As for the amount of time you spend, I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. I like to do all kinds of cards from elaborate to simple. What tends to be odd sometimes is that it takes me just as long to do a simple one (until I get it 'just right') as sometimes it takes for the more elaborate ones. I'm also a technique junkie so I see no problems in hours and days to make a creation!

Keep it up!
Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 11:22 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

I can take several days to come up with a working idea for an original design. I have all my stuff laid out and fuss with it, then leave for a while and come back. Sometimes it comes quickly, sometimes I trash the whole idea because I can't make it click.

I do make quickies often, and usually they are CASE'd with my own twist.

Don't feel bad - if these cards were really easy to make, they wouldn't be as special to receive.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 11:31 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

So Awesome! :shock: The detail, the perfect cutting, the total ART involved. The most time I've spent making one card is 5 hours straight. I am ADD so I've found I can't really design something and then do it. Because I change everything as I go. I'd love to be able to visualize and then implement such stunning work. I'm afraid the green eyed monster is lurking!!!

I love giving my best away. Love given out comes back in spades! :lol:
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=12760
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 02:42 PM   #20  

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all of your compliments. I'm so glad that other people spend a few days planning their complicated cards out too. I'm not crazy afterall. As for this card, it will sit in my stamp room for a while and maybe I'll be able to bear to part with it at Easter. I'm fortunate that my immediate family loves what I stamp and they don't throw anything away. Could you imagine sending a time-consuming card to someone who would throw it away?? Yikes!!

Lately, I've been making cards for the fun of making them, not for a specific person. It has really helped my creativity, because I'm not trying to please someone's particular style, likes or color preferences. I think I will call my time-consuming cards "project cards" as labullard mentioned. That way I won't feel as guilty over the time I spend on them. Anyway, dishes and laundry don't run away and if everyone still has clean underwear and a few clean dishes to eat off of, I can stamp away in my obsessed sort of way.

Take care, Brenda (Qbee)
PS Did I mention that I'm also obsessed about SCS?? This is the best site. I love how everyone shares their art and ideas, so we can inspire each other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 02:53 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Your Cards are absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately I don't have that much time to work on them. I normally do 2 in the evenings when I get the time so a couple hours a piece i guess. Mine are no where near anything like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 02:54 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Those are beautiful cards!!!! I personally do not have time to "create" cards like that - I tend to spend an hour or so for the first card and duplicate it several times - of course mine are usually composed of cased parts of others cards!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 02:57 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

My hubby complained that my card-making was not "cost effective", because I spend hours on the details....I told him it was cheaper than MARRIAGE COUNSELING! :o He has stopped complaining!

(I am a SAHM of 3: ages 7, 9, 11....lots of time spent volunteering in the elementary school also)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 03:07 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by koopdedoo
My hubby complained that my card-making was not "cost effective", because I spend hours on the details....I told him it was cheaper than MARRIAGE COUNSELING! :o He has stopped complaining!
That's hilarious, koopdedoo! I'll have to remember that one... :lol:
SCS member #21233
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/ohbother76
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 03:08 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Your work is stellar. The cards show the careful attention to detail required to create such masterpieces. I take a lot of time to design my cards and then usually create several identical copies which takes less time than the original. For something like you did here, I'm not surprised at all that it took that amount of time to finish. In fact, I've had cards sitting there in the works for as much as a month. Wonderful work. Congratulations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 03:38 PM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

My hubby complained that my card-making was not "cost effective", because I spend hours on the details....I told him it was cheaper than MARRIAGE COUNSELING! He has stopped complaining!
Way funny!!!

I usually spend about 10-15 minutes on an average card, up to 30 minutes for cards that require coloring, and the collage cards I do take me about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I am one of those stampers, who can look at a set and immediately begin to see cards in my head, it's a good thing most of the time, but can be troublesome when I have ordered and received alot of sets, my brain gets very tired!!

That is one labor intensive card! You are the pop up queen!

Valerie

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 04:39 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

ok, I read the comments before I looked at the cards. I opened the front of the card first, and thought it was really cute but I didn't quite get why everyone's jaws were getting bruised from hitting the floor. then I saw the inside of the card! :shock: :shock: I don't even quite understand what you did to get that look. There's certainly no way I would ever have come up with that idea! It's truly amazing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 04:52 PM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Your cards belong in a museum because they are works of art! No wonder it takes that long to finish one. These are truly beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Karrie G.
SCS Member #8990

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/karrieg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 05:05 PM   #29  
Inking Addict

WOW!!!!!!!! Awesome cards!!!

I always spend longer than I expect making my cards. Saturday I convinced DH to take our son for the day - expect for nursing - DH just can't breastfeed. I think I got six cards done.

Isn't he precious?
Reply With Quote Likes