Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-14-2005, 05:51 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a fabulous card, Lisa! So sorry this has happened. Hope you get the credit for it on SU! Showcase, eventually.

To add to what Cindy (starlitstudio) said, I hardly ever visit the SU! Showcase site anymore since I've become a member here. There is just not enough time in my day to browse both, so I've chosen SCS as the place to get my inspiration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 06:02 PM   #42  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the kind comments and support. I really just was hoping to inform people how rude and hurtful it is to do this.
I love SCS.... I just have a Icky feeling in my tummy still about this.... I am sure it will pass.
I didn't post this thread because I thought "I" was "all that!" I just found it hurtfull. I hope this doesn't hapen to anyone ever again!

If this person does know about this thread, I wish she would appologize.... that would help so much.

Cyndi....... Do i just put all the info on the back like I would for SU? I am going to send it in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 06:03 PM   #43  
Stampin' Fool

I may further add to your pain by telling you we made your exact card in stamp camp last week. Were you credited? No. Is my demo a jerk? Absolutely not. I have every confidence that she got it from someone who got it from someone and so on and so on ... you know, like the old commercial.

So I'd like to believe that whoever submitted your card as their own did it without malice. After all, she's a demo, you're a demo -- both with access to the same site. How could she not be found out?

This hurts, I'm sure. But perhaps giving her the benefit of the doubt (and setting the record straight with SU!) is the best course.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 06:07 PM   #44  
Compulsive Stamper

Leese,

You have my number.

One way, or another
I'm gonna find you
I'm gonna get 'cha, get 'cha, get 'cha, get 'cha!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 06:10 PM   #45  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't often like to comment on these threads when its so obviously an opinionated one that goes one way or the other. I'm not good at black and white when it doesn't exactly involve me. I'm on the fence w/ this one. Here's what I think...

Yes, this particular case is very obviously a complete "copycase" and its a shame that you didn't somehow get credit for the idea, whether the other lady did and SU! failed to state this or she just failed to give credit where it was due.

But, overall, I have to say I love people reposting CASE'd cards. I might have missed the original one and if someone hadn't redone it, I would completely be out that concept. I also CASE all the time. Most times, I start out thinking I'm going to redo it exactly, but I won't have that color CS or ribbon or eyelets, etc and it just spins out from there. But I still feel that I need to give credit for the original inspiration to my card.

I'm sure that we all have made cards similar to the one you made LisaLisa. This is a style I've seen often. But that doesn't change the fact that this was your creation, with this set, and those colors. (Not to mention how well done it was as are all of your cards.) And I think your point is very valid. I don't want to belittle your feelings. So please don't think I'm trying to say you're wrong. You're NOT!!

But please don't stop posting or posting your CASEs! If you don't like to see cards multiple times, just flip to another picture and be grateful that there are endless amounts of cards for us to view everyday by an endless amount of talented women.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 06:13 PM   #46  
Crimping Master

Default Re: How to make people stop uploading in the gallery

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper

I like the term "COPYCASING" right Leese?
A wonderfully descriptive term!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 06:16 PM   #47  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I thought that card looked familiar - I got it with my Leadership swaps too!(close, but without the brads). It's such a wonderful design that everyone wanted to try it! I agree though, submitting it so exactly to SU (or any publisher) isn't right when there is no way to acknowledge the creator. The submitter could have used the concept of the torn overlay and created her own layout and color scheme for her submission.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 06:18 PM   #48  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I love ya lisa lisa banana nana fo feesa!

BAD copycaser! BAD!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 06:18 PM   #49  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This has happened to me right here. A month after posting a card (and I'm not saying which one), I came to the SCS and saw an almost exact replica posted on the home page. I was pleased, at first, to think someone thought enough of my work to CASE and post it. But after I clicked on it, I found no mention that it was CASEd from my card, though if you look in the gallery you would find that mine got there first. There was only one minor change to it; otherwise, color combination, technique, placement...it was all the same.

I thought about posting a comment, like "Hey, I like the addition of the ________ to the card I posted a month ago...good job!" But I decided not to...why bother getting all bent out of shape. The person who posted it knows where she got it and if the other users cruise the gallery they will find my card there with the date that shows it got there first.

I usually don't go in the galleries much; I find looking at too many ideas overwhelming and really prefer to come up with my own. If I case something, I acknowledge the inspiration piece. That's just being polite.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 06:21 PM   #50  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by WebDeb
I may further add to your pain by telling you we made your exact card in stamp camp last week. Were you credited? No. Is my demo a jerk? Absolutely not. I have every confidence that she got it from someone who got it from someone and so on and so on ... you know, like the old commercial.
I totally think your Demo is great.... HEY... she liked my card!!! Heeheheee! I have a problem with submitting them to a company like Stampin' UP!.... when you do that it has potential to be published is the companies Magazine or highlighted on the Demo website. There is here name right next to the card crediting her for being the creator. If it gets into a publication it will earn her free product too!

A demo casing it and sharing it is great! I am TOTALLY for this! the problem is when you claim the image as your own in a public forum.... and published forum.

I will case from here to share with my ladies......... but I tell people... "I got this off of ******** on SCS!" I dont care if people do that with a case card of mine. I just wont take credit for a card I didn't create!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 06:37 PM   #51  
Stampin' Fool

May I hasten to add, I doubt it was my demo! (Please, please, please!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 06:38 PM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

That's a great card Lisa Lisa, and im sorry that happened to you! Im glad you let everyone know about it! I would be pretty ticked off myself! Well we all know her real name now.... that must be pretty embarrasing for her. Not to mention that she has probably read this thread, and keeps tabs on it. We all know she's on this site. Where else could she get the idea from? If she's reading... SHAME SHAME!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 06:49 PM   #53  
Matboard Maniac

So sorry that happened. I LOVE this site and all the great ideas. I always look at your cards because I love your work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 07:01 PM   #54  
Mad Swapper

That really sucks! I have a lot of cards in my gallery that I plan on submitting to Take Ten for the next issue and I often think about this type of situation. One of my main stampin goals is to get published and if I saw MY work with someone elses name on it I'd be MAD. That really does make me think twice about uploading cards here.

Joy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 07:06 PM   #55  
Matboard Maniac

I actually cased "most of your card" . Shared it with other demos . I changed a few things! Gave you credit! However "someone" else posted it here and gave themselves the credit . Please don't stop sharing!
You are very talented!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 07:16 PM   #56  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a card in a swap that looks 95% like this card. I think that once a card is seen many kind of keep the idea in the back of their mind and may not get to making one for a long time. By the time they make it they don't remember that the idea came from somewhere else. I made a card a few months ago and recently found another card in my file very, very close to it. The original card was very possibly sent to me several years ago. I was surprised when I found it because I honestly did not remember ever even seeing a card like the one I recently made. What is worse is that I don't know if it was a card that was sent to me or one that I originally made myself. When you make thousands of cards as some of us do, it can get really hard to know if all those ideas spinning in your head are original or not. I look at all the SCS gallery cards daily and that puts a lot of ideas in my storage spot in my brain
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 07:25 PM   #57  
Die Cut Diva

OOps!
I see now the cards are different.
I thought the two that were shown were both Lisa's.......now I see one was and the other was the CASE.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 07:42 PM   #58  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by too
If I ever load a card to this site and it was someone else's wonderful creation please let me know. .

I second this comment!

I try to give credit where credit is due. If I don't for some reason, PLEASE call me on it!!!!!!!

I love all of the ideas on here. I even ask permission from the artists before using them at a workshop.
Jenna ;) #6202
I need inspiration!!!![/I][/FONT][/FONT]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 08:35 PM   #59  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
This has happened to me right here. A month after posting a card (and I'm not saying which one), I came to the SCS and saw an almost exact replica posted on the home page. I was pleased, at first, to think someone thought enough of my work to CASE and post it. But after I clicked on it, I found no mention that it was CASEd from my card, though if you look in the gallery you would find that mine got there first. There was only one minor change to it; otherwise, color combination, technique, placement...it was all the same.

I thought about posting a comment, like "Hey, I like the addition of the ________ to the card I posted a month ago...good job!" But I decided not to...why bother getting all bent out of shape. The person who posted it knows where she got it and if the other users cruise the gallery they will find my card there with the date that shows it got there first.

I usually don't go in the galleries much; I find looking at too many ideas overwhelming and really prefer to come up with my own. If I case something, I acknowledge the inspiration piece. That's just being polite.

Boy, I could have written this post. It happened to me also. I really didn't care that I didn't get any credit until I read the comments. Someone asked about a particular element on the card and the "caser" answered the question like it was her idea. Oh well! that is the risk I take when I post my designs on this or any other site. I guess it is the cost of doing business.
Vicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 09:02 PM   #60  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa
Cyndi....... Do i just put all the info on the back like I would for SU? I am going to send it in!
On a sticker on the back of the card, list the stamp credits only, and include your name, address, email address & make sure your telephone number is on it.

Rubber Stamper has consistently called on Tuesdays. :lol:

If they have a question/questions about how you did something they will call you. Otherwise they insert language about how (they think) to put the card together.

If you want your work returned, put one SASE for EACH submission. I have sent a padded envelope with a few at a time; I am going to try submitting to Stampers' Sampler soon.

Oh, and make sure your loved ones kiss the cards for good luck. My three little ones do. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 09:25 PM   #61  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

[quote="JanTInk"]This has happened to me right here. A month after posting a card (and I'm not saying which one), I came to the SCS and saw an almost exact replica posted on the home page. I was pleased, at first, to think someone thought enough of my work to CASE and post it. But after I clicked on it, I found no mention that it was CASEd from my card, though if you look in the gallery you would find that mine got there first. There was only one minor change to it; otherwise, color combination, technique, placement...it was all the same.quote]

Hey, Jan! I copied your INCREDIBLE denim card--I think for the challenge of trying it, as well as that it was so great! But I wouldn't post my "copy" here or send it in anywhere. . . I *did* take it to two workshops, but I told them that it was NOT my idea, that it was yours, and that I wish it HAD been mine!

And, Lisa, your work is TRULY an inspiration. . . I don't know how many of your cards are saved in my favorites gallery! I'm sure that I've CASE'd you too. . . but NOT to send in for publication or a contest. Sorry that it happened to you, and I truly hope that we don't lose your lovely work here.
My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 09:28 PM   #62  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

WOAH!!!! Debbie, ...... the WOW contest winner for last month likes my cards?!??!!?!??! HOLY BALCER!

BTW..... what was the entry!?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 09:35 PM   #63  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Like? LIKE? NO, Lisa, I LOVE Your cards! You have a great sense of both style and color. :-D

And as for the other question, I don't remember. . . I know that I sent in at least two SAB ones, and one Valentines card, but I can't remember sending anything else in. I wonder if they ever shift something from one contest to another? Oh well.
My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 09:53 PM   #64  
Compulsive Stamper

Default CASE'd card

Also....don't demonstrators receive free stamp sets if their cards are used for publication??? I know we receive THREE of them if they go in Stampin Success but not sure about the gallery. Maybe this is an issue that demonstrators should bring up to SU! Just a thought......

Susy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 09:56 PM   #65  
Hardware Hotshot

Nothing for the gallery except for seeing your card and name posted.

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 10:33 PM   #66  
A LOST 4400

I actually see a few differences with the two cards:
1. the non-LisaLisa card stamped column of words is not lined up that well and LL's is perfect.
2. LL had the thought to highlight the bold letters in the middle(I can never remember to do stuff like that!) and the non-LL card, well, anyone can use the whole stamp.
3. do you feel the luv from the non-LL card? I didn't think so....

Imitation is the highest form of flattery but as many have stated just give credit where and when it is due. I hope that LisaLisa and so many of the other awesome talents keep giving us a constant source of inspiration!!

Stamp On!!
Jackie G. (aka Jacquita) SCSmember #656

Write your sorrows in sand and your blessings in stone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 11:00 PM   #67  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Oh... I am not going anywhere... I just may think before I post! but I will get over it I am sure. Is she would have gotten free stamps..... well, thats a whole other story! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 11:55 PM   #68  
Compulsive Stamper

Default this is REEAAALLY sick

Okay I am really feeling for you Lisa and I know this won't make you feel tons better but one night I was surfing the web in search of samples (Before I signed up with SCS) and I got a hit with a well known demo from SU she was #1 or 2 for the last several years. Anyway I click to the link and the website I was on was a SU demo website and there right before my eyes was a scrapbook page made by that #1 demo with her family smacked right on there and some other demo just put it on herwebsite in her art gallery! Anyone who has been with SU for a while and has gone to convention would clearly recognize this demonstrator and it was clearly not her website!!! I could not believe my eyes. People sometimes do not have a conscious or at least have a larger gray area where right and wrong are concerned.
Laura Littlefield
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2005, 02:35 AM   #69  
Insane Embellisher

AAARRRRRGGGHHHHH! Now I feel so guilty and I must cleanse myself!!! I just did a Mother's Day Swap and pretty much cased a card I got several years ago. It was from someone in my Hawaii group of stampers, but I can't for the life of me remember who, so I didn't put it on the back. Okay, for anyone who did the Mother's Day Swap.......that design was cased, cased, cased. Someone wonderful in Hawaii had the original design.

WHEW!!!! I feel so much better now! Once I go post it on the swap forum, I might actually be able to sleep tonight, lol. Thanks! Ami
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2005, 04:50 AM   #70  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default cards

Lisa, I was looking in my favorites folder, and yesterday I put a card in my favs that is a close to your card that was cased. No mention of your name either.

You know when I see an idea like that I file it in my brain to try doing a card like that someday and I do not remember whose card it was from, but I would never enter it in a contest , etc. as my original idea either. Just a thought.

Fellow SCS if I ever inadvertently case your card ideas w/out giving you credit, I am truly sorry. I am always using ideas from the gallery...there are so many great cards there.

http://www.stampinup.net/esuite/home/maryroth/

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2005, 05:19 AM   #71  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
I'm with you on this, Jan! I used to love to go into the galleries! But while being an active part of the Dirty Dozen, I extremely limited my time to the galleries because I was soooo afraid I'd end up using part of a design unintentionally, someone would get mad, and then I'd end up looking ridiculous, plus bringing embarrassment to the rest of the team! I'd wait until I'd uploaded my cards to the Dirty Dozen gallery of the month, then go into the galleries if I had time. Now that I'm not submitting monthly to the DD galleries I don't feel that fear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2005, 05:20 AM   #72  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a question... What if you create a card and without even knowing it, it looks almost exactly like one from the gallery? I flip through the gallery a lot but rarely CASE a card down to the last eyelet. I might take the same colors, or maybe 1 thing but not the whole card.

Thanks, I was just wondering!

p.s. I've never submitted anything for publication and would probably search the gallery over making sure it didn't resemble anything in there if I did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2005, 06:40 AM   #73  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't think the issue here is specifically CASEing. I think we are all happy to share ideas and most take it as a compliment to have inspired someone. I think the problem and bad feelings arise when you then SUBMIT FOR POSSIBLE PUBLICATION an item that you have CASEd. Whether you did it knowingly or by accident, it is unfortunate. I would LOVE to be published, but I would feel bad if my card was published and credit was given to another.

I personally CASE ideas all the time. Sometimes I change the colors or tweak the layout and use different stamp sets, and sometimes I love the idea so much, I completely copy, but I would NEVER submit for publication anything but my own creation. If you catch me doin it, please send me a nasty flaming pm!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS for LisaLisa}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Please don't stop uploading to the gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2005, 07:06 AM   #74  
Rubber Obsessor

I CASE all the time, but I don't submit anything anywhere. I don't even post things on here because I think my stuff isn't up to snuff with the rest of everyone. I'm a total copycat. I can't imagine submitting something if I got the idea from someone else and just plain copied it. Kind of sounds bad. Sorry this happened to you, but thank you for inspiring the uncreative types like myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2005, 07:16 AM   #75  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by yummyummy
How do you all know that your card was case'd. Some of the cards in here have very similar concepts and same with the stuff that SU shows in the catalog.
I have to agree with this. A couple of years ago I sat down and made a card that I *thought* was original, but apparently it was almost identical to a card another stamper had posted on her group website, (which I had never visited). I got an email from this demonstrator, who was very upset that I had stolen her idea and not given her credit.

So, yes, please remember that there are no truly original ideas out there. We all are inspired by others. Odds are, yes, that card was CASE'd, but what if it wasn't? What if this gal thinks it was her original idea?

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2005, 07:22 AM   #76  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another thing that happens is that demos heavily use this site to get ideas for 10 clubs and stamp camps. They never tell us where it came from. I did not know about this site until a few months ago. Quite some time ago we made a card at 10 club and I told the demo I thought she should submit it to a magazine and she said she did not want to bother but that one of us could submit it. One of the other women sent it in and it was recently published in Stamper's Sampler. I loved the set and bought it and came here to the gallery for that set for ideas. There was the card and it had been posted long before. It was not exact but pretty close. I think we have to give people the benefit of the doubt with these things. You see something and forget where you saw it. You make it and if you make many cards all the time like I do, you cannot remember what is CASED and what is not. Additionally, many people do not use their real names on these sites so to give "The Pink Panther" credit is really not giving credit at all. I am just one of those people who things 1) this is not a hill to die on, 2) give people the benefit of the doubt, 3) simply be flattered. My sister is a quilt maker and they have the same issues too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2005, 07:36 AM   #77  
Matboard Maniac

I feel I learned the hard way about "casing." I made a card that was exactly like someone elses.
I had saved the card into my favorites. When I wanted to give that person credit for the case I just did, I couldn't remember who it was. I felt really bad!
Now if I save a card to CASE later I type the name of the person onto the end to card I saved so that I can give that person credit and I don't forget who made it.

I have several cards that I would love to "CASE" from our most artistic SCS site but I don't have time to try them all. Atleast I will have the name on the card to give credit to this person in the months to follow when my memory does not.

MAry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2005, 08:06 AM   #78  
Polyshrink Goddess

My opinion is in response to this thread but also stems from the general feeling that I've gotten on this board over the past few days.

First off, I agree that it is not polite to CASE someone's card (and so closely) and then submit as your own. Well, we assume this is what happened but others have pointed out we should give the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps this person is a new demo and doesn't know the "etiquette" of CASE'ing and then swapping or posting. So since we really don't know her intentions, I have to say that I think it wasn't a very good idea to post the exact cards. Every demo will have certainly checked SShowcase and see this person's name. While what she did may/may not have been intentional, posting her card was like posting her name and that just doesn't seem right. Others have posted to this thread that this type of thing has happened to them and they wouldn't mention which card. I understand Lisa is hurt and sick over this, I think anyone would be, but after things have gotten rather ugly on this board lately I think we all need to be respectful of other's feelings. Two wrongs don't make a right!

Carri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2005, 08:13 AM   #79  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpstamper
While what she did may/may not have been intentional, posting her card was like posting her name and that just doesn't seem right.

If she did nothing wrong, she shouldn't mind having the card posted here. She certainly didn't mind having her name associated with it on Stamper's Showcase.

Just my 2 cents.

Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2005, 08:21 AM   #80  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Well.... I called SU. they said they would Pull the card off Stampers Showcase!!! I am so happy! It was bugging me so much to see it there.

I also got HER website. Emailed her..... I hope she understand how this hurts the sharing process.

Reply With Quote Likes