Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many of you started as scrapbookers?

And is anyone still doing scrapbooking too? I just watched a craft room tour on you tube of a women that had a small crafting space. She was explaining that she has switched to all cardmaking now and gotten rid of most of her scrapbook supplies which took up so much space. It struck me that she was exactly correct. For the most part I have my card supplies pretty neatly organized in the corner of one room. I have more than I will ever need, actually need to trim down supplies. I just started card making the last year or so, and I'm ashamed to say that I just bought and bought supplies every time I watched a video. As I said in a prior post, I think I now know my card making style better and what supplies I will use ,and I will not replace a lot of what I bought. So I don't think I will ever need more space for my card making than I have now.
However, my scrapbook supplies take up a whole spare room (a very tiny room) but still I could use that space. Plus I never scrapbook anymore. I tell myself I will but card making is so much more fun to me right now and so much easier. I do have some major scrapbook projects Id love to finish even if I don't continue scrapbooking after that...two weddings plus two Disney trips, oh, and a new granddaughter, but who knows? Maybe I will, maybe I won't.
So how about you...former or current scrapbooker? How much time do you think you spend on each, sbing and card making.More on one that the other? Do you store all your supplies together?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2015, 10:25 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I started making cards to go with my love of making all types of boxes and bags for all occasions. I wanted the card and wrap to be as special as the gift.

I did think about Scrapbooking...but only for a second, as I knew that would lead to a slippery slope...like making cards doesn't lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2015, 10:45 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I started as a scrapbooker, mostly to put together two scrapbooks for each of my now grown sons, chronicling their life. I did not get very far before I got sidetracked. I wanted to make the thick, frilly, flowery pages like my friends--the kind of pages that don't go well with boy photos or fit into page protectors. So then I started to make a few scrapbooking style books. I was making stuff with no purpose and no place to put them.

I found SCS and thought that it would be like scrapbooking but on a smaller scale. Wrong! Suddenly I needed Copic markers (best craft investment ever!). And then this site introduced me to mixed media which led me down that slippery slope to include gelatos, gesso, gel medium, acrylic paints ...

I'm about ready to come full circle and get back into scrapbooking, this time keeping my focus on finishing my boy's scrapbooks. For fun, I'll dabble in mixed media. And to feel that I've accomplished something with my time and money spent, I'll make cards for charity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2015, 10:51 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started with scrapbooking. At the time I didn't work outside of the home, had a 7 year old and a baby on the way.
I kept at it for about 9-10 years (finished more than 30 albums). Then I went back to work and found I had little to no time to actually complete a layout.
There was about a 2 years period were I didn't touch any of my supplies.
I tried digi scrapping thinking this would let me finish some pages in a shorter amount of time. That backfired as I started to make my own digi elements in Photoshop and spent way too much time on a page that again things stalled as I was only able to finish a few pages a month. I also didn't like the finished ;look of digital pages as much as a physical page.
About 4 years ago I moved my supplies to a smaller room/area and was forced to organize and de-clutter. That is when I started to make cards.
I am still keeping my scrapbook supplies despite only working on a handful of pages each year. I fully plan to get to my photos again one of these days. Although granted that may not happen until I retire.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2015, 12:08 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I started with scrapbooking in 2005, and loved it for a while. I quickly realized I had waited way too late to start....we have 5 grown kids and lots of grandkids. I had so many photos, I couldn't even begin to choose which ones to use.

Then I discovered card making, and realized I could do all the "fancy" "pretty" stuff without having to agonize over which photos to use. I've loved making cards ever since. All of the supplies I got for scrapbooking I've incorporated into cards, and bought much more, of course.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2015, 12:40 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 836 Likes on 548 Posts

I started stamping over 25 years ago and had the best of intentions to do both cards and scrapbooks.....

I quickly fell in love with making cards and little fun things (card candy, bag toppers, favors) and never caught the scrapping bug.

Of course I did buy some albums, DP, stickers and embellies THINKING I would get motivated to do scrapbooks of my wedding and then scrapbooks after I had DS...........um no... that didn't happen! I still have a bag full of wedding pics, papers and embellies waiting to scrap and I've been married for over 14 years now :shock:

One good thing - my twin sister has deviated more to scrapping rather than card making - yay!!! She's been scrapping pics of DS and is doing a great job. Plus, I don't have to worry much about journaling because she knows just about everyone/everything in the pics.

A scrapper I will never be.......;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2015, 01:07 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I started with scrapbooking in 2005, and loved it for a while. I quickly realized I had waited way too late to start....we have 5 grown kids and lots of grandkids. I had so many photos, I couldn't even begin to choose which ones to use.
My boys are adults--no grands yet. I didn't feel like I had too many photos to scrap. On the contrary, I felt like I didn't have enough! When my sons were kids, photos happened with film, which was costly. And developing was even more expensive. A dozen photos could cost more than $10, and back then that was a lot of money that we did not have. Consequently, I don't have a lot of pictures of my sons, especially after they grew to school age. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2015, 02:12 PM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

I started stamping in my early 20s and didn't have any use for scrapbooking until I had kids in my early 30s. Now my twins are 14 and I have exactly one album finished.:rolleyes: I have a ton of scrapbooking stuff and I've bought a lot of Project Life in the past couple of years thinking it would help me get some more albums finished. But, as it turns out, I like making cards a lot more than making scrapbook pages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2015, 02:56 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 298 Likes on 115 Posts

My very first stamps (in the '80s) were just for fun. My kids and I made little books and embellished notes and stuff like that. No one started doing things like "formal" scrapbooks or cards or whatever until a few years later. When all of that started taking off, I thought that I would just use stamps as embellishments for scrapbook pages. I even told my SIL and BFF that I would NEVER make cards - too time-consuming! Never say never... I think I made a total of four or five scrapbook pages, started making cards and never looked back! I have a son, five daughters, a stepdaughter, and eight grandkids, so the idea of making even Project Life books for them is overwhelming! I decided that I'll make a little book about MY life with MY pictures so they'll know something about their roots, give them their pictures, and let them do as they will with them. I even bought a scanner that turns negatives into jpg files (yes, I know - so old-fashioned, but that's what we had "back in the day"), so I can load them onto flash drives and tuck one in their Christmas packages. Done and done!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2015, 03:11 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I even bought a scanner that turns negatives into jpg files (yes, I know - so old-fashioned, but that's what we had "back in the day"), so I can load them onto flash drives and tuck one in their Christmas packages. Done and done!
I have one of those, too! I hope it still works because I never did get around to scanning everything that needs scanning. My sister had a video camera years ago and put together some clips of my kids on a VHS tape. Now I need to find an affordable company locally that will take that tape and turn it into a DVD.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

I started scrapbooking in 2001, and I think I started stamping in 2002. I still do both, and I still love both as much now as I did back then. Maybe more. I don't plan to stop doing either any time soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2015, 06:09 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I have always been a cardmaker; I have never scrapbooked. I have a tiny family and no one to pass the scrapbooks on to; so I just don't see the point in spending the time on that when I could be making cards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I started as a scrapbooker. I made a load of cash taking peoples pictures of their kids and scrapbooking them in frames. As soon as I started making cards I quit making scrapbooks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2015, 07:19 PM   #14  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,405 Likes on 530 Posts

I started as a scrapbooker in 1998, when I was 23. I made my mom an album as a Christmas gift. Then DH and I had our first child in 2000 and I made an album of her first year. I have since made an album for our other three daughters. I also have other albums of vacations, random things, and everyday life. I have made albums for my grandparents and another of my grandfather's WWII photos (I had to hunt down a developer who had the machines to develop those pictures!). I got into card making around 2005 and that is what I spend most of my craft time on now. I am making albums for my twin nephews as a gift to my SIL, but I find that I take far fewer pictures now than when my daughters were little. I really want to scrapbook still, though! I love the journaling part the best. I am inspired to create a layout when I have something to say. I then will find photos to support what it is I want to write about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2015, 08:54 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts
Post Scrapebook? Nah

In a bonding try, my grown daughter and I took 2 classes at an Archivers store before they closed. The first was on scrapbooking and my daughter loved it and does it but I wasn't interested. The second was on card making and I loved that and do it almost daily. We do share supplies, but I have most of them!;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2015, 04:46 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 603 Likes on 246 Posts

Technically I stamped before I scrapped but it was scrapbooking that really got my stamping going. I was unhappy with using stickers or pre-made titles for my pages and started buying alphabet sets like crazy. From there it snowballed and I stamp and scrap equally, except right now it's just Christmas cards, scrappin' after Jan 1st.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2015, 05:04 AM   #17  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I started as a stamper and a cardmaker. I have never scrapped, but I regularly use scrapbook products, paper, and tools in my cardmaking and in my artwork.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2015, 06:17 AM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

I started in 1998 when I had my son and I wanted to make a scrapbook for him. I went for a few years and stopped for a while. Went back to it and then just got burned out with all the "stuff" and didn't touch anything for about 5 years...now I do cards and boxes. I pretty much use only ink, cardstock, and my stamps. I totally got rid of all of my other supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2015, 07:25 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got invited to a SU stamp camp in the early 2000's, when scrapbooking was at its height, or just starting to wane. I have kept journals on and off and I liked the idea of combining words and visuals, but I don't have kids (not that you need them to scrapbook — that was my own limited thinking).

So I did some scrapbook layouts on my lovely dogs It was fun, because I really loved to CASE some of the designers who were out around that time ( evidenced by the huge collection of scrapbooking design books that I was just trying to sort through last week .

But I realized, for me, making cards was much more practical, and many of the design ideas could be shrunk down to fit a card front.

Tammy Tutterow taught a class on scrapbooking on tags, which is brilliant — larger scale than Project Life, not behind plastic, dimensional, with room for small pictures and journaling too. Much quicker to complete, and you can throw them as you finish them onto a big jump ring. I'd love to create some for little moments throughout the year. Maybe in 2016…

Last edited by poppydarling; 12-05-2015 at 07:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2015, 11:20 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

I started with scrapbooking in 2002. In 2003 a friend invited me to a SU party where the demo focused on showing us how we could use stamps in our scrapbooks. So obviously I placed a rather large order and used my supplies in both scrapbooks and the occasional card that I would make. Once I started with Operation Write Home I just pretty much did cardmaking with the occasional scrapbook project. Now that OWH is finished, I'm planning to do more scrapbooking again, but I started going to school full time this fall and haven't had much time for either one. But my intention is to do both scrapbooks and cards when time permits.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #21  
Inking Addict

I started making cards when I was about 9- my dad and mom got me some stamps and ink for Christmas that year and I started there and 9 years later I haven't quit! I don't have photos, so I don't do much scrapping- I did one scrapbook not long ago though, and I put the birth announcements and first birthday invitations from all my nieces and nephews in it. I obviously don't have scrapping stuff so I just used things from my card stash, and it was fun to make- sometimes I need to do something besides cards or I lose my mojo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2015, 12:15 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

I started with scrapbooking back in the fall of 1991 to get my pictures out of those sticky albums. I had seen the card making supplies at the local craft store, but didn't get into it until I saw my sister's MIL making some cards at a multi family event a year later. I was hooked. I have always enjoyed the card side the most. I moved to digital scrapbooking because my daughter and daughter in law were using that method and I liked the looks of it. I also thought it would save time. Ha Ha. It takes me longer to get a page "just right" then it did with paper. I still scrapbook because I need some way to preserve pictures and memories, but try to only do a few pages each year to capture the highlights of that year. I still love making cards the most. I never did, and still don't, own a ton of stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

I was an all around crafter years ago. Carol Duval was one of my idols. lol I got more into scrapping when I got the grand babies. Now, I do the scrapping, the cards, jewelry, the Polymer clay beading and clay pieces. I love painting and even the mixed media.

My space need grew and grew just over the last couple of years. I got a great space now and we are working on setting it all back up this week. I should be ok with it. But you are right.... It's amazing how much space the scrapbooking takes up. It's the paper. We are addicted to the papers. I'm a mini album girl too, so this takes up a lot of space too.

I personally go from scrapping, to card making, to painting, to a mini album. The thing is that I cannot just do one type of creativity so I realized that I will always need more than a little space to create just because of that reason. Plus.... we all love our tools and papers and that takes up a lot of room...lol

Well, I do store all of my stuff in the same room. I have things organized together but separately. I think I have it down pretty good though. I could use an extra closet though....lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2015, 05:15 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

I don't remember which came first, scrapbooking or stamping and card making, but I was a Creative Memories buyer. Once they came out with their digital line, I went crazy and moved to mostly digi scrapping. Then a friend invited me to an SU gathering, and I was intrigued and bought many things. I still do both paper and digi scrapping and card-making, and have been into making cricut cart boxes and place cards turned into bag toppers. Oh, and did I mention that I sew? I have a huge home and my crafts and dogs take up the space! When I see a cute gift holder - like the hot choc packs - I have to make more than a few! Really, if I can get two from one paper sheet, why not? And who wants two of the same thing (except for Christmas cards!). Oh, and this person would like this...and another one...

I was in the middle of a private order when Thanksgiving dinner time came, so things got put aside (not away) and the family just had to move around the stuff! That's life! They like receiving the goodies and got a taste via a view of the creative process. If I could just get my craft room created in this house...but I still love working at the dining room table. As a child, that was my after school destination to do homework first thing. I loved that time, and I have that table, so I guess my child side has remained! Mom would not be pleased at the site...but I have other places to dine!

I think our creativity feeds upon itself and we bring a bit of what we know to any crafting venture. Diane
Reply With Quote Likes