Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-20-2005, 03:23 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't do it... :(

I've been stamping for about 2 yrs now, and although I'm not really a crafty person (no creativity), I LOVE it. For some reason though, I have become unable to cut in a straight line - I don't know what's going on!!!

I had all day today set aside to stamp (dh was at mil with the kids). I had all of the cards ready that I was going to CASE (again - no creativity). But I ended up wasting THREE sheets of cardstock (yes - ALL of the celery cardstock that came in my assorted package (sniff, sniff...)) just trying to get the dimensions right and with a straight line!!!

I'm using the Fiskar's rotary cutter (which I initially loved), but now I can't get accurate measurements or a straight line!!!

has anyone else ever had this problem? I tried changing the blade (made it worse), and flipped around and over the little cutter-into-thing. Anyone have any suggestions or tips?

I've tried standing up to make sure that I'm putting even pressure on the blade, tried cutting in the middle of the cutter instead of lining up the paper at the top or bottom (which used to work for me, but now doesn't seem to).

I'm SOOOO frustrated... :(
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2005, 04:29 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

make sure the blade is tightened down firmly and also make sure you push the metal bar down[mine has to sort of snap] I wish you luck! Frustration[sp]
is not good for creativity ;)
member #1989

if you don't talk to your cat about catnip who will?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2005, 03:45 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Send a message via Skype™ to dastamper

Sorry to hear that your tool is frustrating and discouraging. I have my moments with my Fiskar trimming tool to get straight lines tool. I think being a perfectionist does kill my ability to be creative. However, don't throw away your paper in the future since it can be used to be layered on top or under another piece of paper for a card or scrapbooking page. You may want to consider buying a trimmer. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2005, 06:05 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

start practicing on scratch paper until you get the hang of it. Maybe use construction paper since it's thick like cardstock. I'd invest in a paper trimmer, myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2005, 07:58 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Is a paper trimmer different than the rotary cutter???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2005, 04:40 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Here's a paper trimmer.... . This is a really common one, I use it and I love it. You can even get scoring blades to help out with folds for all those cute little boxes you can make!! This particular trimmer is less than $20!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2005, 04:46 PM   #7  
Hot Mess

I also have a hard time cutting things straight. I always make sure my blade is very sharp and sometimes, I use a piece of scratch paper underneath my cardstock and that helps a lot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2005, 11:00 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm still not sure what the difference is between a paper trimmer and my rotary trimmer - I have both, but when I got my rotary trimmer, I stopped using the other one (it was the one that rangrwife recommended), because that one had too much "play" on how you held the blade and I'd get different measurements if my hand was tilted too much to the left or right... maybe I just need to hire someone to cut the paper for me!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2005, 11:00 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have problems with my Fiskars 12" Trimmer and even though I have read different threads on what to do to get it fixed, I just haven't found the time. However, if I want things really straight and exact, I use a metal edged ruler and a hobby knife to make my cuts. I used to sew and had a 12" x 18" green self healing mat and I use that constantly now to line up my cardstock and ruler on. Works great for right now. I don't make a lot of cards at one time since I work full time and am raising a 2 year old grandson so I never seem to find a lot of time to get the cards done before he wants to "help"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2005, 09:16 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

I like using either a trimmer or a square (L - shaped ruler) and a quilters self-healing rubber mat. The mat has mesurements on it to. Another trick is to measure at the bottom, top and middle of the piece you want to cut. Lightly mark this w/a soft pencil on the backside of what you are cutting. Line your trimmer or square or metal ruler along the measurements and voila, nice straight line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 05:55 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

IS the plastic strip ( the part that the blade hits ont he cutter) really knicked up? You might need to flip it over or replace it if both sides are worn....

My Carl 12" is acting like a spaz.. really ticked me off this week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 06:08 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by rangrwife175
Here's a paper trimmer.... . This is a really common one, I use it and I love it. You can even get scoring blades to help out with folds for all those cute little boxes you can make!! This particular trimmer is less than $20!
This is the one I have too and I love it. The thing I love most is that I can cut paper with it on my lap while I watch TV (multitasking is great!)

As for a rotary cutter, I have used one for quilting for years and aside from practice, using a thick plastic guide (like 1/4" thick) really helps. It gives a nice edge to really roll the cutter up against for a crisp, straight cut.

My stuff (I think I am starting to get the hang of this obsession!):
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...00&ppuser=7739
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2005, 04:57 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I know this won't work for every situation that requires cutting but have you considered making irregularly shaped cuts on purpose? instead of that perfect square or rectangle, a rhombus or trapezoid can be equally or even more pleasing. deckle-edged scissors can be very effective as a design element. don't let the original you're CASE-ing stop you from making that card your own design. think of it instead as a starting point that you already like for something that furthers your creativity and/or originality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2005, 05:32 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

"I know this won't work for every situation that requires cutting but have you considered making irregularly shaped cuts on purpose? instead of that perfect square or rectangle, a rhombus or trapezoid can be equally or even more pleasing. deckle-edged scissors can be very effective as a design element. don't let the original you're CASE-ing stop you from making that card your own design. think of it instead as a starting point that you already like for something that furthers your creativity and/or originality."

ooh - thanks! don't know why I never thought of that... I really love the way perfectly aligned frames/squares/rectangles look - but if it's impossible for me to do it (which dh has confirmed), you've given me hope that I can still stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2005, 05:37 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I never used (or even saw a fiskers rotary blade cutter before) what I use is a matt board, a ruler(to guide the blade) and an craft knife (kind of a mini exacto knife with replacable blades). Would the ruler work with your rotary cutter to steady your hand a bit. From the photo I saw on the web it might work but again, I've never even seen one in person let alone use one. That paper cutter looks good too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2005, 07:10 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Smile Me too!

I always say I couldn't cut straight to save my life.
I do agree that good tools are essential. I'm looking forward to buying the perfect cutting/matting system. That's going to be great for layers!!!

I don't really have advice, just wanted to lend some moral support & tell you that you aren't alone out there!

luv,
Nicole
Reply With Quote Likes