Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-13-2007, 02:12 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't stop buying stuff!

I work parttime so on the days that I don't work, I want to stamp before my kids get home from school.
Lately, I've been shopping for things during that time and then in the evenings I really want to make cards and scrapbook, but my hubby and kids need me. Then I tell myself that the next day I won't shop and will just stay home and stamp. Then the next day comes and I go shopping for more stuff! I can't stop myself! I think I have a problem.
Like today I promised myself I would stay home and do cards but I wanted to do a card that required a stamp-a-ma-jig so I HAD to go shopping for and then bought all kinds of other cute stuff.
I think the shopping for stuff is almost more fun than the actual craft itself. Do I need help or what?
I am new to this so I've been buying lots of knew stuff, but I'm wondering when that will stop and I'll get down to business in making cards and stuff.
Just this week, I've finished 7 scrapbook pages and 13 cards. Is that good or bad?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 02:16 PM   #2  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

First of all, welcome to the addiction. FIrst step is admitting you have a problem. You don't need to be cured, just make sure ou can admit it!

Second, the amount of card/pages you have accomplished is super!! Great job!!

Third, the buying will slow down over time, and then be more sporadic. Watch for trouble times: CHA, new catties, the 15th of each month, you get the idea.

Enjoy!! You will stop buying when you either run out of room, or money~ usually the two coincide!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

First of all, welcome to the Stamping/Scrapping world! I honestly don't think the shopping will ever stop, or even subside. There are always newer, better & prettier products coming out. I, too, lurk on SCS and shop way too much and don't stamp and use my toys as much as they should be used. Many sit unopened and unmounted. Sheesh. Lol. It's fun and part of the hobby, I think. When did you start stamping? Isn't SCS addicting also?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 02:44 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

It is addicting ... and although I have slowed down a bit ... well, the spending NEVER ends, or at least it seems that way. As soon as I get something, I "need" something else ... I truly think that buying is half the fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 02:51 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

I have the same problem. My husband laughs (and sighs) at me because I constantly get boxes in the mail. And don't even get me started on my trips to the store where I need to buy just one thing. I always manage to come home with a bag full of stuff. I think it's just part of the hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I have the same problem! (looks like almost all stampers/scrapbookers do). The only way I can stop myself is have willpower and tell myself that I WILL NOT buy anything until I make a certain number of cards and a certain number of scrapbook pages. Then I tell my husband my goal and he helps me be accountable! It works pretty well for us (although my birthday was last weekend...gulp!! That was a major spending spree!! Back to the grind I guess! Good luck!!

Check out my blog... Create Everyday (updated daily sometimes more than once a day)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 03:00 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Oh man, I had to look twice at your message to make sure I didn't write it myself. I keep spending and spending and have very few cards or layouts to show for it. However, This week I gave myself a challenge that I wouldn't buy anything that wasn't essential for one month. Well.... that lasted two days and then I had to go to the craft store for a project that I was being paid for and wouldn't you know it that they got some extra cute stuff just in that was on sale and well a girl can't pass that up can she? So I bought a few things and then I bought a few more things the next day but really today is the last day I am going to buy any more stuff for one more month. Really okay maybe not really but I am going to try - maybe we should all try it together?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 03:07 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I try to stay away from buying the tools that i can improvise or do w/out..like the stampnmajig, cropodile, cuttlebug, etc. don own any of them..my downfall is stamps!! can never get enuff of them. but no more spending this month till the pension cheques come in..lol. welcome and enjoy.
loves ya

When the world says give up, hope whispers, try one more time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

7 scrapbook pages and 13 cards is amazing!!! Awesome job on that!!! I go in spurts with buying, but the desire to keep getting new stuff doesn't end for me because new things are always coming out on the market, it's usually a guilty feeling that I am spending too much of our money that keeps me in check. I always have a good laugh when people make the comment to me that I must be saving so much money by making my own cards!
Isaiah 40:31
check this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 03:17 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I think that the amount of your output (7 scrapbook pages and 13 cards) in a week is wonderful!! Great job!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 03:17 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

There is hope- I went into 2, yes TWO, Michael's yesterday and I didn't spend a single penny!!! I was quite proud of myself! Hoping to fall off the wagon with a trip to Hobby Lobby tomorrow, though... HEHE

My Growing Gallery

Comments make me HAPPY!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 03:25 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

You are not alone and you don't have a problem. I think sometimes we replace the actual hobby with shopping for the hobby because we don't always have time to sit down and focus on the actual project. Shopping is a way to participate in the hobby without having to actually do it. I've done this with knitting (I have tons of yarn), quilting (I have tons of fabric), and scrapping and stamping (you know, tons of paper, stamps, ink....).

What you've acommplished is terrific. You always need supplies, so just think of your purchases as an artists palette of paint. When inspiration strikes, you'll be prepared!

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Welcome to the club. I wished I got that much stamping accomplished.

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 05:26 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

It's so nice to read threads like this and know I'm not alone. I really need to stop reading enabling threads, looking at the amazing things in the gallery, reading blogs, etc. etc. etc. Then I won't be aware of what I'm missing out on. I must confess, it is really nice right now to have a lot to work with when I actually get down to business. That said, I'm about at the point where I need to do a month of 'no non-essential' spending. After I replace my dying paper trimmer, get some Prismacolor pencils, and a few other *essentials* of course.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinseykitty
I think the shopping for stuff is almost more fun than the actual craft itself. Do I need help or what?
I am new to this so I've been buying lots of knew stuff, but I'm wondering when that will stop and I'll get down to business in making cards and stuff.
At least one other person here (me) has gone through this too, and it is very likely you will get down to business and craft more than shop when you get tired of trying to figure out where to store the continual flow of new products.

Quote:

Just this week, I've finished 7 scrapbook pages and 13 cards. Is that good or bad?
That rocks!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 05:40 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Also, I agree with above posters about how this tends to be part of most hobbies. Have you ever overheard folks who fish or golf go on about the latest trolling motors, fishing rods, polycarbonate rods or drivers, etc etc. They have about forty different kinds of expensive golf ball with every kind of dimple conformation imaginable for any kind of wind or weather, and at least six million kinds of fishing hooks. We don't need to beat ourselves up too hard with the stamping and scrapping, I don't think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I too find myself shopping more than crafting! I do think it is all part of the hobby and we should think of it as creating a palette to chose from! I really like that thought!! I find that when I stay away from the computer I am less likely to spend and more likely to create...but by golly I love this computer!! Good luck, have fun, and spend within your budget. Most importantly, DON'T FEEL BAD!! Don't we moms deserve a little something just for us?!?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 07:32 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

there is no 12 step program!
we don't want you to stop! there are cards to be made! someone HAS to do it! may as well be you! and me, and her, and her, and her.
WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF STAMPING!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 07:44 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Smile Wonderful!

Welcome to Splitcoaststampers, I stumbled onto this site a year or so ago and it has helped to fuel my addiction and spending. Being here reintroduced me to Stampin Up! I have acquired quite a collection of stamp sets and new inks and papers.

Even with all my wonderful supplies and yes I keep buying more. (Have an order in for the April specials from Stampin Up! Right now!) If I get one card done in a month I think I have accomplished a great thing! So you are absolutely amazing in my eyes. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing your Gallery grow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 07:52 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks everyone for your wonderful replys. I feel much better now! I'm not alone.
You all should know that out of the 13 cards that I made, 10 of them were from a OSW so those were easy. I love OSW's!
And I totally agree with the thoughts on shopping being part of the hobby. I really don't think I'm buying frivilously. I think I'm making good choices and some things won't need to be purchased again. My husband is a huge golfer and he sure buys and shops for that stuff all the time.
I do keep going through the StampinUp catalog for my next order and I keep changing my "wants" and "needs" list around. But it sure is fun to go through it over and over. Now I can't wait till the next one comes out.
Thanks ladies! I feel so much better now. I may have to go use that Joann's coupon tomorrow. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 07:55 PM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Okay I'm new here... what's a OSW?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 08:02 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

OSW is a One Sheet Wonder template that has you create 10 cards from an
8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper (that is either stamped with a pattern or is DP (designer paper). The paper is cut out in different shapes and then you use those pieces to assemble the cards.
I love it! It seems really easy for me.
Just search for OSW template and you'll see lots of examples. Or go into the gallery under One Sheet Wonder and you'll see examples.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 08:07 PM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes