Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-04-2007, 07:22 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't want to upset anybody....

but why is there less and less instructions on how people make their cards?? I know they put what stamps and accessories they use. Great! But I often can't figure out how many cards are achieved. And I don't have the time to be constantly PMing people to ask them. I feel this is a real problem on this site. :(

I'll even take..."check my blog" for details. At least I can figure out how to make the card from there. AmyR is fantastic on her blog for giving detailed instructions on how she EXACTLY achieves her cards' look. I'm wondering why I give such detailed instructions on my cards....maybe nobody cares...but there must be many newbies out there who do appreciate detailed information.

(Yes, I know this has been covered before....I was just struck how little was written on the cards in the fave thread going on right now).

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 07:31 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Blogging takes so much time that to do it twice is probably what is slowing people down. Also, once you have been stamping for years, some cards just look self explanatory and people don't bother to state what may seem obvious. I think it is a time thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 07:36 PM   #3  
Sassy Shani

It is NOT a requirement for peeps to post their directions. If they choose to do so, it is up to them. I'm sorry, but I take offense to your post. There is sooo much talent on here that it saddens me that you would EXPECT peeps to explain in detail how they came to THEIR creation. If you are truly on here to just case, then you can at LEAST take the time to PM the original creator of the ARTWORK.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 07:36 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

I totally agree with you Denise. I'm one that needs an explanation. Please take the time to write something, thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 07:40 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

i think since blogging is so big right now that everybody really wants you to click on the blog.

it seams it is all about hits and numbers.

iam pretty sad about this developement as well. i do read blogs but i spent more time on scs and if i like a card i would love to read more as soon i see the card and it is worth for me to click on it. if i see than a link to the blog to get infos how it's done its sometimes a bit fustrating.

My SCS Gallery
My blog
: Pretty Pressings
Designer for Magnolia, Sweden, Lili of the Valley and Sir Stampalot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 07:41 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

I think it just doesn't occur to a lot of folks. I only started trying to put some instructions for my cards after I saw krabearkub do it in his gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I think it is a time factor... I personally don't take the time to read many blogs... I love SCS and pretty much stay on that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 07:59 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I'm in between all this i guess i pretty much can figure out things by looking and checking blogs but sometimes the card looks more complicated than I think I can handle. There are a lot of talented peeps out there and my hat goes out to them. A lot of time I don't have time to PM the artist and it would be nice to have more details and also I print off work and don't always remember by the time I get around to using that technique or forget how things were done. I just appreciate everyone sharings and letting us case their work. there have been so many times I needed an idea and have found one on scs

Annette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 08:00 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Best wishes to Baby Clark will continue to pray for his good health
Annette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 08:06 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanon
It is NOT a requirement for peeps to post their directions. If they choose to do so, it is up to them. I'm sorry, but I take offense to your post. There is sooo much talent on here that it saddens me that you would EXPECT peeps to explain in detail how they came to THEIR creation. If you are truly on here to just case, then you can at LEAST take the time to PM the original creator of the ARTWORK.
It's true that it's not a requirement, but it seems to me that I remember reading a thread started by..... juliehrr MAYBE???....someone.... asking people to please at least give the "recipe" for the cards and it also requested that the person *not* just reference their own blog. I think the thought behind it was that people were doing this just to get more hits on their blog, but I could be way off on that part.

Oooo... I found the link to the thread. It's a miracle. I can never find threads!

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 08:10 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm sorry, it never occured to me to explain how the card was made. I often put off uploading a card because I struggle to find the time to write down the papers inks and stamps I use. I will try to find time to explain a little more if that helps.

I am not a blogger and very rarely read blogs. SCS is my addiction and I only get to stamp on weekends so I try to stay off the web so I can stamp. Will try to do better in the future!
One of Kota's Kids
Too Blessed to be Stressed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #12  
Sassy Shani

A "recipe" yes, but not fullblown, step by step instructions. Maybe I read the OP's post wrong, and if i did, I sincerely apologize. Otherwise, I do believe that SCS is a wonderful place for inspiration, not blow-by-blow directions unless the creator chooses to do so. :mrgreen:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sairabee
It's true that it's not a requirement, but it seems to me that I remember reading a thread started by..... juliehrr MAYBE???....someone.... asking people to please at least give the "recipe" for the cards and it also requested that the person *not* just reference their own blog. I think the thought behind it was that people were doing this just to get more hits on their blog, but I could be way off on that part.

Oooo... I found the link to the thread. It's a miracle. I can never find threads!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 08:19 PM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by queenoe
I'm sorry, it never occured to me to explain how the card was made. I often put off uploading a card because I struggle to find the time to write down the papers inks and stamps I use. I will try to find time to explain a little more if that helps.

I am not a blogger and very rarely read blogs. SCS is my addiction and I only get to stamp on weekends so I try to stay off the web so I can stamp. Will try to do better in the future!
Oh no no no don't worry!!! You don't HAVE to explain every little thing - it's just really nice to at least have the "recipe" (cardstock, ink, what stamps and any embellishments etc etc etc) and then if you did something "special" (a technique or something else different and cool) it's nice to say what that is too for all the "peeps" :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 08:20 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

A "recipe" yes, but not fullblown, step by step instructions. Maybe I read the OP's post wrong, and if i did, I sincerely apologize. Otherwise, I do believe that SCS is a wonderful place for inspiration, not blow-by-blow directions unless the creator chooses to do so. :mrgreen:
No - I think you're right. I skimmed it and thought it was just the recipe.

I could see where it would be helpful to have full blown directions for complicated cards, but who would be the judge of what is complicated? I tend to be able to figure things out pretty easily for the most part but not everyone can.

Either way, there are lots of people who don't even do recipes which kinda frosts my cookies... but that's a different thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 08:21 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

While I think it's very nice to include instructions I certainly do not expect it! The gallery is SO huge here and there are many variations of what is included/not included in the uploads out there. I wouldn't want to discourage anybody from posting in the gallery, KWIM?

For me personally, if I *really* want to know how something was done and can't figure it out, I don't have a problem PMing somebody and have done it a number of times and always received a pretty quick response! I have also had people PM me for patterns before and I responded quickly to them. So if you're a newbie out there - just know that if somebody has been so kind as to take the time to upload and share their project it is highly likely they will also be very responsive to your PM should you be interested in CASEing and need a little help.

And to those of you out there who don't post instructions or supplies (I do believe I am guilty of that myself :rolleyes: )... please continue to post your projects! We'll PM ya if we need the 411!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 08:23 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sairabee

Yes Julie started that thread b/c ppl were uploading things w/ absolutely NO info (not even the basics listed) and just a link to a blog saying to go to that for the info.

As for me personally - I make sure to list the recipe info - I also try to give links to where I got stuff from ('specially if it's something new and funky!! :mrgreen: ) and I will put a link to a blog post (if there is one) for those that really WANT to know all the nitty gritty details and read me blab off on my latest creation ROFLOL!!! But thankfully no one HAS to go there if they don't want to as I *think* I've been pretty thorough at listing all my supplies and whatnot *crosses fingers*!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 08:44 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 248 Likes on 132 Posts

Denidill,

SCS does ask whenever photos are uploaded to the galleries, that the creator fill in the descriptive area, including Keywords, Stamps, Paper, Inks, & Accessories. SCS has also continued to allow non-promotional links to the creator's blog as long as the descriptive area below the picture is completed. However, any further description of the stamper's artistic process is strictly up to him/her as to whether he/she wants to tell more or not.

Thanks to our Private Messaging capability here at SCS, it's very simple to 'PM' the project artist by right-clicking on their darkened user name, then clicking to send the person a quick PM. Let the artist know that you like the card but would appreciate a bit more detail about the area that interests you.

It's a pleasure to enjoy the abundance of inspiration found here!

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 03-04-2007 at 10:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 08:47 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I am guilty of not giving full instructions for the cards that I make. First of all becuase my cards are very simplistic and I just assume that everyone can do make them. And I still feel that way. I do give what stamps, inks and papers that I use. Secondly, it is the time factor for me. I do have a blog and I also have my SU site that I upload things to. My SU site is suffereing and needs some attention. Than I have all of the things that I need to do during the day and night at home etc... I will try and do better in the future. ;)

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #19  
Demo Challenge Leader

Scrappersister,
Not to worry. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 08:58 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I'm sorry if you took offense...offense is taken so easily sometimes through e-mail text and that is why I started off by saying" I don't want to upset people...." But see, even when you set it up to say you don't want to cause a stir, look what I've done.... I've upset someone already!!

I don't expect nitty gritty detail. But sometimes I can't tell how a look is achieved with acetate, vellum, a technique (e.g. polished stone) that was used, but not mentioned...something out of the ordinary. I can figure out the basics. BUT, if I was a newbie, I could not figure out many of the more complex cards.

So, I guess I take offense to you taking offense to my post. :rolleyes:

AND THIS IS NOT ABOUT CASING. I am merely trying to figure out how things are done, so in the future, I may try it myself.

MY GALLERY

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I guess if I don't mind going to the blog to get the info, I shouldn't mind PMing for the info!:rolleyes: Guess I'm a bit lazy sometimes.....plus, I always think I'm bothering people with PMs. But, I'll start PMing if I need help.

MY GALLERY

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Also, what is a 'peep'?? What is an 'OP'??

MY GALLERY

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 09:44 PM   #23  
Demo Challenge Leader

"Peeps" = people ... Kinda catchy in its' own way, huh?

'OP' = Original Post at the top of the thread

You'll catch on to them .. except you might get funny looks if you use the shortcut words at the dinner table. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 09:58 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it easier to give more directions/details about my cards in my blog. I do generally put the recipe in so people know what ink, cardstock, stamp set, etc I use but I'm a pretty simple stamper so more details in my pic wouldn't necessarily help. I use my blog to ramble about my attempts to be a stampin star :-) and my thought process behind why I did what I did.

I do agree that I don't like the pics that have absolutelyl nothing--at least tell me what colors you picked since oftentimes the scan/pic is off and you can't totally tell what color is being used.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 10:14 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't take offense, but I'd like to explain why I don't take the time to do so. SCS gives us free gallery space. I haven't uploaded in a while, but when I do I really appreciate this fact and the fact that I can search to see how certain sets are used. SCS sets the parameters -- at a minimum we are to supply the ingredients used for the card. This makes the gallery more than a place just to store our creations for our personal use. It makes it searchable, and therefore, adds to the value of the gallery for SCS -- the more hits, the more advertising revenue. It's a win/win situation as far as I'm concerned.

Anything else -- techniques, where things were purchased -- is really up to the poster. I save all of that for my blog. I understand that a lot of folks don't read blogs and that's ok, but my blog is for me primarily (free therapy!!) and it's very time consuming. That's one of the reasons I stopped posting to the gallery here (other reasons are beyond the scope of the OP!).

In short, I don't think posters have a duty to supply those details but I agree that it is nice when they do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Denise! (waving...can you see me?)

Anyway, I have been a bit torn about what to do with that. I always put everything I use on my gallery post- the complete "recipe" as they say which I think is very helpful for stampers who can look at a card, see what to do and just wanna' know what brand the stuff is or whether it's been colored with pencils, markers, etc...

But as far as the construction details, I usually have details on my blog but I found that some people said, "If I see a referral to a blog post, I won't even comment on a card because I think they are just trying to drive traffic to their blog, even if the recipe is already there."

I guess sometimes I link it and sometimes I don't. I think I will start linking again. I think it is more important to share the information about the construction of my cards than to worry about anyone who won't post a comment because there is a link to more info on it. That's just plain silly.

Thanks for bringing this up. This sets my head on a little straighter about why we do this. It is, of course, to share.

Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 12:17 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I usually only share the recipe and don't feel the need to describe how it was made unless I did something new or out of the ordinary. I guess my thinking is that if the techniques section of the recipe is filled out, then a stamper can generally figure out what I did.

2 things do bug me though... the stamps section not being filled in. Sometimes I just have to have that non-SU image, KWIM? Other than that, I never CASE something exactly, so I don't need the other parts of the recipe. Sometimes, I do look for color info since pictures can distort color.

The 2nd thing that bugs me.... TURNING the TABLE.... is when I get a PM about a card and the answer was in the recipe or the description... and then to top it off, I don't get a comment even though it was liked so much. Good grief. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 03:59 AM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

jen70 said The 2nd thing that bugs me.... TURNING the TABLE.... is when I get a PM about a card and the answer was in the recipe or the description... and then to top it off, I don't get a comment even though it was liked so much. Good grief. :rolleyes:__________________
LOL! This happens to me all the time, but I just grit my teeth and answer the question! I guess ome people are just too impatient to read what we've written.[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 04:08 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've noticed this, less recipes being listed. A lot of times, all I want to know is what colors cardstock and ink have been used. I can usually tell by looking at, but not all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 04:11 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen70
2 things do bug me though... the stamps section not being filled in. Sometimes I just have to have that non-SU image, KWIM? Other than that, I never CASE something exactly, so I don't need the other parts of the recipe. Sometimes, I do look for color info since pictures can distort color.

Oh ditto that. I often see stamps I want and they aren't listed in the recipe. Although maybe that is a good thing for me. If I don't know who makes it or where to find it, then maybe I won't buy it! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 04:51 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

oh ja!!! this is p. me off too.
it happened to me so much with my squash books and even yesterday a lady (i think she is a tac demo) contacted me about several detailed questions about my post-it note holder.
the email she wrote me was nice but when i checked if she took the time to at least post something there was nothing.

why should i bother to get her all the measurements and scoring????

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Heart
jen70 said The 2nd thing that bugs me.... TURNING the TABLE.... is when I get a PM about a card and the answer was in the recipe or the description... and then to top it off, I don't get a comment even though it was liked so much. Good grief. :rolleyes:__________________
LOL! This happens to me all the time, but I just grit my teeth and answer the question! I guess ome people are just too impatient to read what we've written.[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif[/IMG]

My SCS Gallery
My blog
: Pretty Pressings
Designer for Magnolia, Sweden, Lili of the Valley and Sir Stampalot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 04:51 AM   #32  
PAPER SCAPER

I put as much information on the description as possible and do not use acronyms unless the full word has already been stated.

I have friends, one in particular that likes to case all my cards. She didn�t understand what SU, UT, DTP meant and if she saw peeps she�d think I smeared Easter goodies on the card as an effect�LOL!

I list if I use an old greeting card for cardstock so there is no need to search out the brand name.

What does totally burn me is when they do not list companies for stamp images other than Stampin Up. If you don�t know just put unknown!
It�s not fair to go into a tiff over not being given credit when you�ve done it yourself with an image.

I've never checked to see if someone commented on my card after PMing me for directions and wouldn't know unless I get an email notification. You know they could have had the card favored for some time before deciding to case it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 05:09 AM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Several times when I bulk uploaded cards, it didn't let me enter the supplies I used. I'm not sure why. When I go in to edit and add details, it won't accept them.

Am I doing something wrong? Or did I just have a rough day?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 05:39 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

I find dial-up to be so extremely slow and my tech guy said every single little thing you put on it before you upload it will slow it down. I don't do a gallery here and that is just one of the reasons. Maybe people have found it faster to upload without all the verbage?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 05:42 AM   #35  
Forum Fanatic

If you upload into an album (as opposed to your personal gallery or a stamp gallery) there are no fields for keywords, stamps used, etc. Could this be the reason in your case?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 05:49 AM   #36  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

I think it is important to list as much as possible on the description of our creation. I get pm'd regularly from people thanking me for sharing how I did a technique and for little step by step procedure for making it. I don't think that is totally necessary to go into tons of detail but I love helping others learn because I learned so much from others here. I love the sharing aspect of this site. I don't want to loose it. I have to admit that I get a little discuted when I love something special and have nothing to tell about it accept a blog link. I do know, however, that if I'm interested enough in it I can at least find the information on the blog.

I would love us to keep in mind that we have people coming to this site from all walks of experience. From the newest stamper to the most experienced. Please remember how excited you were when you first started stamping and were hungry to find out how to do as much as you could. Not everyone has a demonstrator close at hand that can lead them along. This is a *sharing community* and that is what draws me here every day. I hope it stays that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 05:59 AM   #37  
Crimping Master

Kittie we can always count on you for your great wisdom, very well said, thanks.
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 06:13 AM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidill
I guess if I don't mind going to the blog to get the info, I shouldn't mind PMing for the info!:rolleyes: Guess I'm a bit lazy sometimes.....plus, I always think I'm bothering people with PMs. But, I'll start PMing if I need help.

I'm afraid of bothering people also - that's why I hesitate to PM. And I agree with the OP, stamps, colors, and technique name is all I'm looking for. Detailed directions are wonderful but I don't expect anyone to take the time to do that. And, as the OP also stated, I'm happy with a link to their blog if the info is there - I certainly don't expect people to spend their time replicating their work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 06:15 AM   #39  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by K. Benko
Kittie we can always count on you for your great wisdom, very well said, thanks.
Kathy
Ditto! Kittie said it very well for me too!

Linda

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 06:33 AM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

I enjoy looking at other peeps blogs as there are tons of great ideas on them as well as the instructions. I think it is fine to use that as a substitute for full blown instructions.

As for PM'ing, it seems to me that being pm'd for instructions about the same card would be irritating. I would much rather put the recipe and any special instrutions with the card in the gallery than be pm'ing the same set of instrutions over and over again.

I made the rookie mistake of not reading all the subsequent postings for a card before I PM'd my question. Fortunately, the response was very kind. A gentle answer can teach whereas harsh words only create anger.

I did not always post a comment and for this I will try to do better I love comments on my cards too....what was I thinking!
Reply With Quote Likes