Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #81  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen2972View Post
the only reason these stores open on the holidays is because people DO go out and shop on them. So those that commented on the fact that they should be closed and employees be with families.... well what about those shoppers going out to the stores? I used to work at Kmart which was the FIRST retail store to open on Thanksgiving and well they continued it because they DID make money. Think bak to when stores were closed on Sundays... well someone somewhere decided to open up a store and well... now almost NO retail store is closed on Sunday unless prohibited by law. (Tell me where that may be).
think of the people who really don't celebrate the holidays..or family is not really close by and I want to use that travel money fr gifts and get home for Christmas instead since I also have more time off.... why not shop? (Except I'll be going to NYC for the Macy' parade)

Just my 2 cents

I'm right there with you on that one. Not everyone sits at home with their family watching football, eating turkey. Even though my mom will come to my house and I am making a dinner, after a few hours we are bored. I've already warned my husband and mom that I wil be at Michaels at 6pm on Thursday. Plus, why would I miss out on saving that kind of money!!!! Or maybe its the other way around, I could be spending more!

As for the no shopping on Sunday, I think the only places I know of are in Utah because there are so many religous people who choose to not spend money on Sundays because it means someone has to work and be away from their family. I can appreciate the logic in that, but I think nowadays so many people work non M-F jobs that you really need to be able to get your shopping and other business done on the weekends. The Wells Fargo banks inside the Ralphs(Kroger)grocery stores here in Los Angeles are even open a few hours on Sunday and I always see a line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #82  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafty Math ChickView Post
Walmart matches prices don't they? If we bring the Michaels ad in to Walmart they should match the cartridge prices right?
I am a Black Friday shopping QUEEN, and have been doing it for years. Let me tell you what I have learned about ANYone who does price matching. Generally, for such screaming deals, and for a day like Black Friday, other stores WILL NOT match the price if the inventory at the original store is gone. They WILL actually call the other store and check. I've had this happen at numerous stores, so if I were you guys, I would PLAY IT SAFE and just go to your Michael's on Thanksgiving!!! Obviously, there won't be a whole lot of other places actually open on Thanksgiving Day, but I thought this might be helpful for those looking to do price matching!
Wickedly Wonderful Creations
I'm a FREAK!! Check out the latest Control Freaks Blog Tour
2012-13 Stampin' Up Artisan Design Team
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #83  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by WendybellView Post
I am a Black Friday shopping QUEEN, and have been doing it for years. Let me tell you what I have learned about ANYone who does price matching. Generally, for such screaming deals, and for a day like Black Friday, other stores WILL NOT match the price if the inventory at the original store is gone. They WILL actually call the other store and check. I've had this happen at numerous stores, so if I were you guys, I would PLAY IT SAFE and just go to your Michael's on Thanksgiving!!! Obviously, there won't be a whole lot of other places actually open on Thanksgiving Day, but I thought this might be helpful for those looking to do price matching!

Another person told me first, but since being informed I have seen the television ads specifically saying Walmart matches prices "even on Black Friday", so this year we are in luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #84  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa HannantView Post

As for the no shopping on Sunday, I think the only places I know of are in Utah because there are so many religous people who choose to not spend money on Sundays because it means someone has to work and be away from their family. I can appreciate the logic in that, but I think nowadays so many people work non M-F jobs that you really need to be able to get your shopping and other business done on the weekends. The Wells Fargo banks inside the Ralphs(Kroger)grocery stores here in Los Angeles are even open a few hours on Sunday and I always see a line.

Bergen County, NJ still has all stores closed on Sundays. It's called the "blue law". Its related to reducing highway traffic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #85  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1mom02View Post
Bergen County, NJ still has all stores closed on Sundays. It's called the "blue law". Its related to reducing highway traffic.
And Sundays are the worst traffic days??? I live in Los Angeles and I am so used to everything being open late every day of the week. Spolied a bit I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #86  
Crimping Master

Quote:

And Sundays are the worst traffic days??? I live in Los Angeles and I am so used to everything being open late every day of the week. Spolied a bit I guess.

Eh, one Giants or Jets game and all bets are off. There are three other major counties nearby and NY is a 5 minute drive. My aunt just goes to Jersey City, Elizabeth, Wayne, NYC or even better drives down to me at the shore.

Actually it's one of the last blue laws in effect in the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_law

About 1/3 of the way down, under "history" Bergen County, NJ is discussed.

"In Bergen County, N.J., blue laws bar the Sunday sale of clothing, appliances and furniture � but boats, hardware, antiques and jewelry aren't affected.(and food)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #87  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafty Math ChickView Post
Another person told me first, but since being informed I have seen the television ads specifically saying Walmart matches prices "even on Black Friday", so this year we are in luck.
Sometimes they WILL check to make sure that the other store still has inventory before they will match the price. Some stores do and some do not, just depends on the sales person . . . ;)
Wickedly Wonderful Creations
I'm a FREAK!! Check out the latest Control Freaks Blog Tour
2012-13 Stampin' Up Artisan Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2008, 05:45 AM   #88  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by bound4londonView Post
I strongly believe that all employees should get to spend holidays with their families.
What about cops, doctors, nurses and those such workers? I hope nothing ever happens to someone on a holiday because everyone should be with family and then noone would be around to help them....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2008, 07:30 AM   #89  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

What about cops, doctors, nurses and those such workers? I hope nothing ever happens to someone on a holiday because everyone should be with family and then noone would be around to help them....
Quite right. My sister is a nurse and volunteered to work Thursday. She has cancer patients to take care of in San Francisco. She is also working Christmas Eve and Christmas so that the nurses with kids and family can have their time off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2008, 07:32 AM   #90  
Mad Swapper

Default OMG!!!!! Check out these coupons!!

Michaels must be desperate to send out a 20% off all items including sale items and including all Cricut items on Thanksgiving!!!

Here is the link to all the coupons for the weekend-

http://mic.michaels.com/BonusCouponUS.aspx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2008, 07:37 AM   #91  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Michaels must be desperate to send out a 20% off all items including sale items and including all Cricut items on Thanksgiving!!!

Actually if you read the excludes part it says ALL cricut products... So it would have been great and almost worth going to but....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2008, 08:35 AM   #92  
Mad Swapper

Darn, my printer made mine really blurry so I missed out on that one. That's a bummer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2008, 09:02 AM   #93  
Forum Fanatic

Smile

Quote:

Actually if you read the excludes part it says ALL cricut products... So it would have been great and almost worth going to but....

LOL, yeah, guess Provocraft is really restrictive about coupons for some reason. Someone posted that cricutmachine.com was having cartridges for sale for as low as $29.99 if you want to play it safe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2008, 09:06 AM   #94  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Note: the times are different too -

The % off entire order is until noon,
the 50% off one item is noon-closing.

LOL, They really know how to keep you coming back for more don't they? ;)

Thanks for the coupons Melissa!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2008, 12:08 PM   #95  
Inking Addict

MICHAELS BLACK FRIDAY AD!!!!! ENJOY!!!!!

http://forums.gottadeal.com/showpost...5&postcount=19
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #96  
Glitter Queen

A bit of info about the cricut cartridges. The stores received big shipments of these...Hopefully you will all be able to get the ones you want. Some of the discontinued ones may still be available, you would need to ask a manager to check...each time they update the cartridges there are still sometimes a few of the old ones left....they hang around in the lock-up cage because they become "homeless"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 04:15 PM   #97  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

the only reason these stores open on the holidays is because people DO go out and shop on them. So those that commented on the fact that they should be closed and employees be with families.... well what about those shoppers going out to the stores? I used to work at Kmart which was the FIRST retail store to open on Thanksgiving and well they continued it because they DID make money. Think bak to when stores were closed on Sundays... well someone somewhere decided to open up a store and well... now almost NO retail store is closed on Sunday unless prohibited by law. (Tell me where that may be).
think of the people who really don't celebrate the holidays..or family is not really close by and I want to use that travel money fr gifts and get home for Christmas instead since I also have more time off.... why not shop? (Except I'll be going to NYC for the Macy' parade)

Just my 2 cents
Bergen county, NJ. Everything is closed on Sundays. And there are tons of stores, huge malls, everything, dead. Like a ghost town!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 05:05 PM   #98  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SCORE! I went in to the local Mikes on the way home from dinner. got there at 730 local time and got one! and they had tons of cartridges! Good luck to all the hopeful! They had about 6 machines left.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #99  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to admit that I was one of the ones to hit Michaels at about 7P this evening. The store was mobbed. Cricuts and cartridges were being taken out by the cart fulls.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #100  
Polyshrink Goddess

I went to Michael's tonight and bought 3 cartridges for my aunt who is getting the Cricut Expressions for Christmas. I was truly shocked by how many people were there. I am not a scrapbooker so I had no idea what I was getting myself into...ha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #101  
Kookie Creator

I was there at about 20 to 6 for a 6pm opening. The manger actually allowed us into the store at 5:45, but the registers didn't start until 6pm.

I was so surprised at the number of cartridges they had, and at the number that people were buying. Tons for some and machines and jukeboxes.

A much taller lady was able to reach the one that I wanted for me and I was in the checkout line at 10 minutes to 6. At 6 they opened the registers and the coupon for 20% off - while it said Cricut excluded - read on the register, so I was out by 6:10 with my one cartridge for 23.99.

Great deal!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 06:04 PM   #102  
Mad Swapper

I went to my local store and there were about 15 of us in line. It wasn't a mad dash, but close to it. It was packed with cartiridges and Creates. I bought one and two cartridges. I was temped to buy more, but I have 17 already so there isn't much else I could need. I bet there is a massive amount of them on eBay starting tonight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 06:13 PM   #103  
Crimping Master

Default unbeleivable savings!!!

I have no idea how the total ended up so low -- I crunched the numbers when I got home and it should have been WAY higher -- but I wasn't going to argue at checkout when they gave me a lower number than I thought:

THREE Cricuit cartridges (reg 89.99 ea - $269.97 total)
NINE photo boxes (reg 4.49 each - $40.41 total)
SIX of the storage cubes (reg 29.99 ea - $179.94 total)

for a GRAND TOTAL OF $130 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(original prices including tax would have totaled $519.40)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 11:42 PM   #104  
Glitter Queen

I went to Michaels tonight after all the festivities were done. I purchased three cricut cartridges. Our store had hundreds of cartridges. Good luck in the morning gals!!
Suz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 11:51 PM   #105  
Insane Embellisher

My MIL took me tonight.. I got 3 cartridges, 2 paper packs, the Ott Lite that was on sale for 19.99 *regular 59.99*, some yarn and a few other things... it was my early Christmas gift! I saved a ton of money and yes, the 20% coupon also worked on the cricut cartridges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 05:15 AM   #106  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Went to Mike's last night and got 2 cartridges and they some employee forgot to take down the 50% off sizzex sale sign so my sister got 5 dies at 70% off using the coupon. The clerk didn't want to honor the coupon saying she could only give one discount and I said that was tacky that they wouldn't honor both. She grimaced and gave my sister both discounts. We both save mucho money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2010, 03:28 AM   #107  
Glitter Queen

Is all of the Black Friday items available on Thursday at Michaels or only some? I want the gypsy but would have to travel 45 minutes to go and don't want to go on Thanksgiving if can't get it until Friday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2010, 03:53 AM   #108  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by linalexView Post
Is all of the Black Friday items available on Thursday at Michaels or only some? I want the gypsy but would have to travel 45 minutes to go and don't want to go on Thanksgiving if can't get it until Friday.

This is an old thread but you can go to this link and see this year's ad:

The 2010 Michaels Black Friday Ad Scan

I've never know Michaels to have different sales on different days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2010, 04:52 AM   #109  
Polyshrink Goddess

Not sure if this was posted yet as I didn't scroll through everything (short on time). As good as the Thanksgiving Day sale prices are on Cricut cartridges, they're even better at this site. Cricut Cartridges - CricutMachine.com This site has most of them for $17.95 and if they're newer cartridges, I believe the price is $23.95 (or something close to that). They also have bundle deals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2010, 08:02 AM   #110  
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

If y'all want to see the ad and pics you can see it here:
Michael's 2010 Black Friday Ad - Michael's Black Friday Sale Ad - Black Friday @ GottaDeal.com

(click on the little camera to the left of the item to see the ad pic)
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2010, 08:04 AM   #111  
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

PS

the Walmart ad is right here: Walmart 2010 Black Friday Ad - Walmart Black Friday Sale Ad - Black Friday @ GottaDeal.com
and they have the Cricut Expression with bonus "Playtime" cartridge in Aqua, Purple, Yellow and Green with fancy swirls (PRETTY!) for $185
and Cricut Lite Limited Edition cartridges are $20.
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #112  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 858 Likes on 283 Posts

I'm curious as to why very old posts relating to specific sales aren't deleted within a week or two after the sale has happened? After a sale the thread is no longer relevant and most people do not check the date of origin when they start reading a thread and thus waste time. Any mods have an answer?

I'm not trying to be snarky :-) it's a genuine curiosity thing....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 03:21 AM   #113  
Matboard Maniac

Last year they had really good sale. and they even had things on sale that was not in the add. I love to go the night before. then I can go to other stores the next day. it is so nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 04:16 AM   #114  
Die Cut Diva

beaddict....I agree with you! Someone should be able to go in and delete outdated posts that are no longer valid.

Also posts more than 6 months old, I believe should be deleted. No on goes back that far to read something.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 04:55 AM   #115  
Kookie Creator

Default sorry to disagree

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
beaddict....I agree with you! Someone should be able to go in and delete outdated posts that are no longer valid.

Also posts more than 6 months old, I believe should be deleted. No on goes back that far to read something.

Patti

I disagree with removing all the older post.

I have been having a lot of virus problems the last 2 years. what I paid to have 3 computers fix, I could have gotten a really good notebook. Because of the virus I lost a lot of information. I lost my list of poop poems, new parent poems, thank you poems, pictures, workshop project directions, etc. Thank the gods that 3 years ago I was in a swap that I shared the poop list with. After much searching, I was able to find the post and copy the list. I am greatfull for many older post. I can also find directions for projects, etc. here on SCS since the older post are saved. When I am ready to buy new tape for my ATG gun, I know I can find post here that tell me where the best place to buy it is. I can also look up the best sandwich for my Big Shot. Did you know that there is a way to cut and emboss your spell binders with one pass?

Thank you

Betty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 05:30 AM   #116  
Forum Fanatic

I agree that deleting old posts is not a good idea as there are some really old posts that have good information. However, it would be nice if people would not bring back an old post on sales that are no longer valid.

The person that restarted this thread only has 2 posts, so they may not have known to look at the date of the post.

The moderators do a wonderful job and have a hard time keeping up with so many posts. I don't know that they could keep up obsolete sales and of course, if they deleted a thread someone somewhere would want it back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #117  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 858 Likes on 283 Posts

Oh, I wasn't talking about posts in general. Just sale ones.
The useful ones need to be kept around, most definitely! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes