Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-16-2006, 05:51 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand now. Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 06:12 AM   #42  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I have been stamping for over 16 years, and when I retired from being demo a over a year ago I went 90% unmounted. I own about 6,500 images, with about 500 sets. I did not unmount an antique set of stamps from 1932, any of the wheels (147) or a small amount of stamps that are too large for the clear blocks I have. I actually have a few stamps larger than the SU background stamps, the background stamps fit on the blocks but the larger ones don't. They only take up one drawer so that's okay.
I took all the stamps, SU's or others completely off the foam to bare rubber. It took a while and I did use Aileene's Tack It Over and Over. The only thing I would do differently in the future is to have done this SOONER!!! I love this new system. I am able to stamp just as easily as before, storage has been improved. I use the binder storage system, which is styled similar to the way I used to store the stamps in the Iris Cart drawers.
I haven't personally tried this yet, but a Lady posted a while back that she does not put the Tack It Over and Over on the back of the dies, she puts it on the clear blocks. The dies just get stored and stuck on the block when she's ready to stamp. I don't remember how she stored the dies, envelopes or something like that. I will go this way when I need to redo storage for my dies.
As for resale, that's so impossible to predict. Like another lady posted it's really up to what someone is willing to pay for something. I personally, have not sold any stamps that I had purchased for myself. Nor have I purchased any on e-bay. Not my thing. But for those who do sell, why not save the blocks and simply remount when wanting to sell the stamps? I know this creates a storage issue but it could work if you can find the space.
Good Luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 06:22 AM   #43  
Mad Swapper

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes about mounted vs. unmounted. My suggestion is that if you do go unmounted, KEEP ALL YOUR WOOD BLOCKS AND THE STICKERS ON THEM until you are completely sure you like it. I became a TAC demo and was sure I'd love the unmounted system so started to unmount all my other stamps. Several months later, I realized how much I reallyliked the wood blocks better. I have since switched over to become an SU demo and am so glad I kept the blocks!
Sally Taylor, Fun Stampers Journey Coach #1118

My FSJ site
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 06:39 AM   #44  
Mad Swapper

I'm pretty sure that the UM stamps people are talking about in this thread are all *rubber*, rather than the clear polymer ones. (At least that's what I'm talking about! I don't own any polymers. Yet. ;) ) The acrylic blocks are see-through, not the stamps themselves. The foam cushioning doesn't extend beyond the edges of the rubber image. HTH!

Happy trails....

Sue

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol Lee
I'm confused....if you use the foam cushioning, are the stamps still see-thru? I've never thought about unmounting my stamps. I have a few unmounted stamps and I just slap them on the back of a wood mounted stamp with double sided tape to use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2006, 11:01 PM   #45  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
..it sounds like it would be far less messy that spreading gooey glue with your finger and then waiting hours for it to dry!
I put a cheapie flip-top sandwich bag over my hand when I spread ATiO&O on the backs of rubber stamp images. I do a more thorough job and don't have to pick glue off my hands for the next day and a half.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 06:23 AM   #46  
Embossing Fanatic

I may just be thick headed but I just don't get it. How do you use the stamps um? I'm sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 06:26 AM   #47  
Embossing Fanatic

You use a cling foam backing and stick them to an acrylic block. Saves space and makes your stamps easier to position. It is also a huge money saver.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 08:03 AM   #48  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boodlemom
After collecting stamps (mostly Stampin Up) for about 2 years, I have finally started to actually use them. I have been really frustrated with the results I'm getting, so when I saw that unmounting them was an option, that's what I did.

Well, tonight I mentioned it to my best friend, who was my SU demo until she moved, and she just about had a heart attack. (She says SU stamps aren't made to be used that way.)

Please reassure me that I'm not going to hate this. I'm happy that they're taking up so much less space, and I can't help thinking that with acrylic blocks my stamping is going to *have* to improve.

I got some Aleen Tack It Over & Over to try. Do most of you experienced UM stampers use that EZMount I keep reading about? I haven't quite got a grip on how that works. And TAC Cling--if I wanted to go that route, where do I get it?
Okay, I haven't read all the other posts but I hope this reassures you. As a
manufacturer of rubber stamps, I can assure you that the stamps are exactly the same. The only difference is whether or not it is sticky on the back of the cushion to mount on wood, or the back of the cushion is vinyl to stick to acrylic blocks. The stamps will both stamp exactly the same way.

I love both kinds of stamps, so I can't say one is better than the other. But, unmounted stamps make room for more unmounted stamps, that's for sure. I usually use my own designs unmounted just because it saves space. I bet many stamp makers do the same thing when they create samples of their stuff too.

Enjoy your new found space and don't listen to anyone who tells you that any rubber stamp is only made to stamp on wood. That's just not the case.
HTH,
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2006, 08:40 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was a dedicated wood-mount girl until I tried TAC. I love the storage, ease of use and portability. We camp a lot (in a trailer) and I love that I can take so much with me in a small tote. I LOVE my alphabets unmounted! Yesterday I stamped a 4 word title on something in under a minute and it would've taken FOREVER with wood-mounted and a stampamajig. Which brings me to my question.....

I have an SU alphabet that I need to mount and want to use the UM system. Can I use the Tack it Over and Over on the adhesive side of the foam that's already on there or should I remove that foam and reapply Creative Cling?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 05:29 AM   #50  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by doxiegal
Everyone has their own likes and dislikes about mounted vs. unmounted. My suggestion is that if you do go unmounted, KEEP ALL YOUR WOOD BLOCKS AND THE STICKERS ON THEM until you are completely sure you like it. I became a TAC demo and was sure I'd love the unmounted system so started to unmount all my other stamps. Several months later, I realized how much I reallyliked the wood blocks better. I have since switched over to become an SU demo and am so glad I kept the blocks!
It is so good to hear from both sides!! I have unmounted about 1/3 of my stamps so far. This weekend I was organizing what is left to unmount. I also have about 4 trash bags FULL of blocks and a box full of storage containers. I asked my DH what we should do with it and he said he wanted to have a big BONFIRE!! :-D He doesn't mind my hobby but it does take up sooo much room. He loves my new unmounted storage space. I had one reservation this weekend about keeping half on blocks in case someone came over and wanted to stamp. I told them that they would have to bring their own acrylic blocks and most people don't have those. He just simply said, why don't you just buy an extra set of blocks or two when you are stamping with friends!! Problem solved!!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 06:47 AM   #51  
Mad Swapper

You can also use them *without* any foam cushioning -- I've been doing it that way for over 8 years with no problems. I use repositionable glue-stick on the backs, but you can also use Tack It Over & Over, or leave the backs of the stamps free of adhesive and use double-stick tape on your acrylic blocks instead. How you adhere them to the blocks affects how you store them, but not how they stamp! ;)

Happy trails....

Sue

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbleQueen50
You use a cling foam backing and stick them to an acrylic block. Saves space and makes your stamps easier to position. It is also a huge money saver.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 07:02 AM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Robyn, I think you'll find, too, that having extra blocks is very handy for your own use...there are times when it's nice to have 2 or more similar-sized stamps mounted at the same time. Especially doing a large project, it's just nice to not have to mount and unmount constantly...I think I have like 3 full sets kicking around here, including my first set -- GLASS ones purchased many years ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 07:07 AM   #53  
Gabfest Goddess

I agree. I have about 2 or 3 sets of the smaller sizes just for ME!! I will order another couple of sets to keep in my closet when I have stamp nights at my house. That should be fun!!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 07:20 AM   #54  
Gallery Gazer

I have both and love both. Don't despair! I started unmounteds with the Tack It Over and Over stuff and really don't like it. It did cause my large BG stamps to curl and not adhere to the acrylic block very well. Then I tried the HALO system. It wasn't bad but I didn't like the storage. Then I tried the EZ Mount ............SOLD! I wouldn't use anything else. I purchase mine from www.yvonnealbritton.com. Very reasonable price!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 08:15 AM   #55  
Matboard Maniac

Ann wish you had not posted that link to yvonnealbritton.com she has some really cute things :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 10:47 AM   #56  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by momofdbl
Ann wish you had not posted that link to yvonnealbritton.com she has some really cute things :p
Just doin my best!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 04:20 PM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I had one reservation this weekend about keeping half on blocks in case someone came over and wanted to stamp. I told them that they would have to bring their own acrylic blocks and most people don't have those. He just simply said, why don't you just buy an extra set of blocks or two when you are stamping with friends!! Problem solved!!

You could have extra acrylic blocks for stamping guests! They are fairly inexpensive right? I saw a good size acrylic block at Wal-Mart on my break today for $4.96.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 04:46 PM   #58  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol Lee
You could have extra acrylic blocks for stamping guests! They are fairly inexpensive right? I saw a good size acrylic block at Wal-Mart on my break today for $4.96.

Thanks! Read my above post. I just ordered another set to keep on hand. I think it will work out great!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes