Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-06-2005, 12:26 PM   #1  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I konw it's been asked before BUT....

...aside from the benefit of $45 (Canadian) off the starter kit today, would you sign up with SU NOW or wait for the new catalogue? I am going to be swapping out a bunch of sets (like almost all of them!) and would hate to order my kit now and then have some of the sets discontinued...THAT WOULD SUCK!! I am on a fairly tight budget and can't afford to have ordered sets that are going to go by way of Stamp Heaven. But I also don't really want to wait. I guess I want to do the most efficient thing money wise and don't know what to do! ARGH! I have all my paperwork filled out too! Maybe I'll just go ahead with it now and take a chance.

Speaking of chances...these are the sets I was going to order instead of the standard. What do you think the chances of their retirement will be?

Simple Wishes
Sparkling SUmmer
All the Best
All YEar Cheer 2
In Full Bloom
Lovely Ladybugs (wheel)

Thanks for the advice!

Jocelyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 12:35 PM   #2  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay my 2 cents-sign up now.
They just revamped the starter kit last summer, and I really can't see them doing it again (jmo).
My only regret with signing up is that I did not do it sooner.

As far as what will retire:
My guess is maybe AYC 2, maybe simple wishes, and possible the ladybug wheel.

I *think* the others have been popular and are newer sets.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 04:09 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom
As far as what will retire:
My guess is maybe AYC 2, maybe simple wishes, and possible the ladybug wheel.
Do you think they'd retire AYC 2 and not the others? Anyone know how long they've been around?

AYC 1 is/was one of my favorite sayings sets...but I'm really, really liking Sincere Salutations! I'm wondering if there will be another set with the "lesser" holidays (halloween, anniversary, etc).
Heather, proud SCS member #132
Gallery
- Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 04:40 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

I feel your pain.

I too would like to sign up now but I have decided to wait until the new catalog is released. Here's why:

1. I am pretty much done with the existing catalog. Nothing in there excites me much and if I purchased the kit now I would just be ordering the sets just to fill the kit requirements.

2. If I join now I get a box of 2004-05 catalogs that have a short shelf life. Yes, I could give them away as giveaways to customers for ideas but I would rather start afresh.

3. I think the starter kit might change. I have no foundation or support for this belief and I am not say it is true. I just wonder if it may and maybe I'd be more interested in the new kit. Of course, it could change to be higher priced or include fewer options or something but I am willing to take that chance.

4. I have heard that when you become a new demo, SU offers 30% off your first workshop order. I would rather use that discount to accumulate what I like from the new catalog than the old ( see # 1. above).
I am also planning to hold a workshop where I offer customers some sort of incentive. The incentive would cost me less if I have a bigger discount. And I think my customers may be more excited about the new catalog than the old.

5. I am not going to order anything from SU between now and July. Why? I dont NEED anything now so I am okay waiting until I sign. So its not like I'll start saving immediately because I wont be ordering anyway.

6. I love a sale but, for me, the $30 discount will not make a difference large enough to overrule, 1-5, above.

These are the reasons, I am waiting. It a personal decision and what is right for me may not be right for you but maybe this will help!.

Of course, having said all of that, it is so hard to wait. Despite all the logical reasons, above, I want to sign up NOW!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 05:17 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Default I know it's been asked before but...

I think that signing up now is just something you have to decide. I know that I would have done it with this discount SU is offering rather than waiting until the new catalog comes out. I almost talked myself out of signing up I took so long to decide. So when I did sign up almost 6 years ago, I got just what was in my kit....which by the way back then was $299 to start.
I think the opportunity is there with the price cut right now and that might make most new recruits happy to see what they get and then get the new stuff in just a few months. Every time the big brown truck drives in it's just like my birthday, only better.
I was really happy to see the new catalog is being sent out sooner this year. I can hardly wait to see it. It's an excitement like no other.
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 05:38 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would wait it out. My upline suggested I wait last year until the new catty came out because I wantedto sign on in June. It would have been a terrible shame to get the old cattys and then have to turn around and buy the new ones.

However! Do you have people chomping at the bit to hold a workshop? Will you be able to make some sales prior to the new catty? Then it might be worth it to jump in.

Good luck either way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 05:39 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I've seen a lot of concern about having a box of 8 current catalogs and I want to give my 2 cents.
I signed up in April of 2003 - there was no special then. I went through my first box and I ended up having to order 2 boxes of catalogs before the new ones came out. I also bought 4 off my up-upline that she was trying to unload. I only ended up with 1 extra - which was bought about 3 months later for the ideas. If you think that you might have just one workshop between now and July, then you'll need that box!!! Don't let the catalogs be a big factor in your decision.

As to your original post, I'd say go for it. None of the sets that I picked retired that year. Everyone here has been giving good advice as far as what is likely not to retire.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 05:50 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I say WHY WAIT? I've been a demo for three years now. Stampin' Up! RARELY offers $ off the price of the kit. This is what I think on it: If you're waiting until July just so you'll get the new catalogs in your kit, don't. The amount you'll be saving on your kit is enough to cover a new box of catalogs. I'm planning on putting my old catalogs at my Doctor & Dentist offices with a sticker saying, "If you like what you see, take this catalog -- it's free! Then give me a call to see what's new." I'll of course include my contact info & hopefully will get a few new customers

You'll also have an opportunity to buy a "booster" within your first year, full of great business supplies and at a significant discount. I believe that catalogs are included in the booster.

If you're worried about what will come in the kit, I would guess that items that come in the starter kit won't be discontinued soon. I think that All-Year Cheer I, II & III still have a couple of years left in them and that Sincere Salutations will replace Bold & Basic Greetings and NOT the AYC sets. Also, Stampin' Up! just released Inspiration Sheets this month for Figures of Speech, Gladsome Garden, Greetings Galore, Paris in the Spring, Simply Circles & Sporting Goods. In the last issue, were Calming Garden, Gentler Times, It's A Party, Right at Home, Simple Shapes & Stipple Celebrations. Shapes & Shadows was also released sometime in the last year, so it doesn't make much sense for them to discontinue any of those sets. If, by some chance you do get a set that retires right away, you can always sell it on eBay or sell or trade it here on SCS.

You have 90 days from the date that SU! issues your kit to turn in your first workshop & receive the 30% commission (rather than 20%). So if SU! issues your kit on April 25th, you'd have until July 24th to turn in your first workshop and get the extra commission.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 06:15 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Actually, you only have 45 days to place your first hostess order with 30% off...But I wouldn't wait.

Like Britta, I always say, "the only thing I regret about signing up was that I didn't do it sooner!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 08:26 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

OK, Jocelyn, I know that I am going to be your upline, but here is what I am thinking.....and I am NOT trying to pressure you....If you think that I am just kick me in the shins :lol:

You have been wanting to do this for a while, and have been waiting until the finances were better. This is the first sale on the kit that I have seen since I started 2 years ago. You could rationalize that you are SAVING by signing now. (but you know me...I can rationalize almost anything)

There are lots of ladies from the church that I would be more than willing to "give" to you....there is a customer base built in for you.....

You got to practice at being a demo when you filled in for me for the 10 for 10, and from what I hear, YOU ROCKED!!!!

You put ME to SHAME with your designs.....I even have you CASED in my gallery.....

You are an awesome chick, and will make an AWESOME demo.....

I think that your decision is made.....and know that no matter what you decide, I am behind you 100% I can't wait to have you on my team!!!!

Any more questions????

Love you, baby!!!

The Cute One......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2005, 05:40 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

WooHoo! Jocelyn's going to be a demo!!!

I say go for it NOW! Like a poster already said, the $45 (cdn) off will cover the price of a box of new catalogues and more! And you'll get in on the retired list and new catalogue frenzy.

Way to go, Jocelyn! I know you'll do awesome at the business side of SU!

Rebecca
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2005, 06:08 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default new demo

Do it! sounds like your a lucky lady to be getting a participating upline :lol: even though she has forgotten where she is located, she still is cute :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes