Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-07-2005, 05:12 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I messed up by unmounting my stamps

Okay, I unmounted my stamps and used the Tack it over and over on the back, let it dry for 2 days to clear. Then, I stuck the stamps on laminated sheets of paper and placed them in page protectors. Well now when I want a stamp, it is really really hard to peel off the laminated paper. On a couple of stamps, some of the foam came off. I'm so upset b/c these stamps are expensive and I don't want the image messed up b/c the foam is missing. What should I do?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2005, 05:28 PM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

Some people have taken the rubber off the foam and put the tack/retack directly on the rubber. I just started doing the same thing. I have only done one alpha set so far and it was not a SU set. But I am planning on doing another SU alpha set with tack/retack and I was going to take it off the foam and put it directly on the rubber.

Another idea that might help you is search through the old posts on mounted/unmounted and re-read peoples thoughts on it.

hth,
Ann Marie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2005, 05:39 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default New foam available

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelsluvs2scrap
...... On a couple of stamps, some of the foam came off. I'm so upset b/c these stamps are expensive and I don't want the image messed up b/c the foam is missing. What should I do?
Foam is available online at several sites. It is not too hard to replace.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2005, 05:49 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

You certainly used an interesting method. I don't believe I've ever heard of anyone trying to rescue the original foam before, but I'm sure someone will come along and refute me cause there are so many people on this board with so many varied approaches and ideals.

I don't think it's the Alleen's tack and retack that is the problem. I've used this product and it isn't that sticky. It's the residue from the adhesive on the foam or the fact that the foam stampin up uses does not withstand being pulled off the block well. I noticed that the foam got kind crumbly sometimes when I pulled it off the block. I really don't think that there is any way to solve this problem.

Please understand that your investment is not destroyed. The rubber is fine. It's just the foam cushion that is in bad shape. If the foam is breaking up, you will need to remove it or you will get uneven stamping.

However, the whole purpose of the foam is to make up for the imperfections in the wood. Since acrylic is stable and even, the foam is not necessary. You can take off the foam and put the alleens right on the back of the stamp.

I personally find that if I don't have foam, I am always getting the edge of the acrylic block on the ink and then getting ink everywhere. This is why I use EZ mount. It is a more stable and selectively cling material than Alleens (alleens sticks to dust and everything and is water soluable. If you try to clean dust off of it, you will make it gooy. EZ mount sticks primarily to only acrylic or plastic and any dust can be rinsed away with a bit of water-- no affect on the cling).

Good luck. If you have any more questions, please PM me. I've used every system out there including Halos, Aleens, clear stamps, and EZ mount. I think I've even experimented with double stick tape. For me, the EZ mount is king.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2005, 05:59 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampysister
You certainly used an interesting method. I don't believe I've ever heard of anyone trying to rescue the original foam before, ....
Yup! I have saved the foam on SOME of my stamps. I did find that some brands, SU included, tend to split or tear while removing from the wood.
One more "trick" that I learned at Auntie Amy's Stamp Convention, (instead of adding Aleene's) Leave the really sticky glue on the stamp. To make it a little less sticky -- so it won't rip coming off the acrylic -- place the stamp on your jeans or sweatshirt several times. It will collect just enough lint from the clothing so that the glue is no longer as "permanent."
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 06:20 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default two things I've learned

Two thoughts occur to me (wow! I can actually handle more than one at a time in the morning--amazing!):

One: slightly heat your stamps in the microwave to loosen them before peeling off the wooden block (start with about 3-4 seconds). Use the edge of a teflon spatula to get under the foam. I've only lost the foam on 1 or 2 stamps this way--out of about 100.

Two: If the foam is damaged, take it off completely (again, the microwave method or use "Undo"). Some people who take the foam backing off their unmounteds find that if they use a mousepad or foam pad UNDER their cardstock that they are stamping on that it helps.

Good luck -- and don't worry. You can still use the stamps. I love my unmounteds!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 07:50 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Stupid Question

Why are you "unmounting" your stamps??? I'm confused as to why one does this. Just curious.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 07:57 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickers089
Why are you "unmounting" your stamps??? I'm confused as to why one does this. Just curious.
Some people, like myself, have storage issues and have physical space limitations in their houses. Wood mounted stamps take up an incredible amount of space...I take the foam off of the rubber, put some Aleene's Tack It Over glue, and store my stamps in CD cases. No wood involved! My son uses the wood blocks for building blocks. Now I can store hundreds of stamps sets in an old CD storage cases whereas before I was running out of room. Sigh...I just wish SU would start selling their stamps unmounted.

ETA...after unmounting my stamps I use acrylic blocks to stamp images onto paper. The acrylic cleans up really easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 08:01 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

ok. Now I get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 09:53 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I'll throw my 2 cents in here: Like stampysister said - EZ mount is way better than the TIO&O. I have some of SU's wood mount (love it but they take up too much space and are not kept in the tote with my unmounteds in their CD cases and therefore do not get used much). I also have one set of TAC stamps with TIO&O before they started with the EZ mount - they are OK but that's about all I can say. Just OK, it does work at least. TAC's Creative Cling (aka EZ mount) is awesome! It clings (not "sticks") to the acrylic block, kind of like a million little tiny suction cups on there. It doesn't wash off or wear off. Nice even stamping. Our Creative Cling is sold by the sheet - 8" x 10". And I'm sure there are other places to get it but I can't speak for the quality of any but TAC's - that's all I've used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 10:05 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just started unmounting my stamps and am loving it! I am taking the rubber image off and use the following technique to do so. I take an exacto knife and carefully run the blade between the rubber and the foam (while it is still mounted). This just takes a small area just to break the seal and get it started. Then I am able to peel the rubber off. If there is a gooey residue I have found that using masking tape and putting sticky side to the gooey side of the rubber and pulling fast (like trying to remove a bandaid) will easily remove the goo. Or if there is any gooey remaining on the foam I stick the gooey rubber to the gooey foam and unstick it that way using the same technique. Don't know if that makes sense, but it is stick remove, stick remove technique. I tried Undo and ended up with a gooey mess that stuck to everything in sight and I read on the label of Goo Gone that it wasn't safe for rubber so that's not an option. So my above mentioned technique has been best and easiest for me.

I have noticed no problems with my stamped images. I use a tablet of blank newsprint type paper under my paper that I am stamping (always have, even when they were wood mounted) and it provides the cushioning. I like doing this so I can test out things if I want to before stamping.

I am drawing an up arrow on the back side of my sentiment stamps, too. And I am using Alene's TIOAO and CD cases for storage. I stamp up an index sheet to slip into the case to show the stamps that are inside and lastly make an label for the top edge of my CD case so I can simply flip through to find the set I want. I don't have a space issue necessarily, but I like the ease of storage versus woodmounted. And the storage cost is much less, too. Plus, I can have everything within reach at my stamp table and have room in my stamp room for a second table rather than stamp storage. What's really funny is that my 10 yr. old DS thinks unmounting is the coolest thing ever. He keeps coming into my room and wanting to help and he couldn't wait to show DH, who thought it was pretty cool, too. He also thought the space savings was great. DS has put in dibs on my Iris carts after I empty them.

I, too, wish SU would offer unmounted as an option (note I said "option"). The only exception on unmounting for me is that I am not unmounting my background stamps because I like the elevation the wood offers since I use the "paper to stamp with brayer" technique and also the rubber is too large for a CD case. For them I am standing them on end with a label on the end, really easy to flip through that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 11:43 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Try Sugarloaf.com They have a reusable cling that is the thickness of double sided tape. I have had some problems with ez-mount my last 20 sets I mounted have now begun sliding off of the foam. There is some kind of reaction to the adhesive. Now they all have to be remounted and they are really sticky( the part next to the dye) The makers have replaced the ez-mount, but guess who gets to do the work? Anyway I came across this website and the product is awsome. This is what I am going to use instead.

Blessings
Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 12:26 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Looked up Sugarloaf.com and could only find ski information, etc. Is there another address?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 12:58 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I peeled the vast majority of my SU stamps off the wood mounts and just applied Alene's right on top of the old adhesive. Many of the newer stamps had to go into the microwave for 10-20 seconds first. I ripped a few pieces of foam, but almost all of them came off cleanly. If I did rip the foam badly, I used EZ mount on those. When I get new SU stamps, I just trim, peel the backing off and put Alene's on the back.

One thing Alene's says on the bottle is to apply the adhesive, let it 'dry' to tacky and then put it on the back of your hand (or pants leg or something) and pull it up again before sticking it to anything. This takes a little bit of the sticky away, I guess.

I store most of mine in CD cases, and I occasionally get careless and pull too quickly and some of the foam stays on the CD case. I don't sweat it and it still works just fine. If a great big hunk came off, I would probably peel the rest of the foam off and use EZ mount, which I have around for the unmounted stamps that I get once in a while.

Like someone said previously, I don't 'unmount' my large BG stamps, either!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 06:28 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Sorry it is Sugarloafproducts.com

Have fun... It is a really neat sight. They have some cool videos too.

Blessings
Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2005, 04:50 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

www.sundayint.com has EZmount and the storage panels. If you are a demonstrator (for any stamp company) they will give you a discount if you register with them. I got some kai scissors from them for cheap also! Check it out!
Reply With Quote Likes