Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-19-2010, 04:08 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would love to see...

I would love to see the name of the stamp companies in the recipes for cards displayed in the gallery. I have seen many cards with stamps I am unfamiliar with, and it would make it so much easier for people to go to stamp sites if that info was included in a card's recipe. I would also like to see a recipe for each card - much as I would like to, I just don't have the time to go to people's blogs, particularly this time of year. Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 04:13 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh no, where's the popcorn?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 04:46 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 92 Likes on 76 Posts

This has been discussed often, many, many threads. All I can say is if you have a question on a card and do not want to visit a blog, please just PM the card maker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 04:48 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymamaView Post
Oh no, where's the popcorn?
uh, popcorn? sorry I don't get it....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 05:29 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 92 Likes on 76 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger53186View Post
uh, popcorn? sorry I don't get it....
This is a topic of many threads, many opinions and gets Very Heated.

Therefore the comment about popcorn-let the show begain
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 05:54 AM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

It is great when someone puts in all the details and I truely appreciate their effort but I understand that the fraction of a second it takes me to click on the link to their blog is much less than the time it would take them to fill in all the fields each time they post.

I'm just happy people still take the time to share/post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 06:32 AM   #7  

Received 858 Likes on 283 Posts

Most of the time it doesn't bother me if the details aren't listed but knowing the name of a Stamp set or the company that makes the stamp set would be nice :-)
It can even be in the main body of the posting (I know the individual supply categories are meant to be helpful but sometimes they annoy me because it does take more time to fill in all those blanks)

But for me, in the grand scheme of life, knowing every last detail about a card isn't on my list of priorities.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 06:57 AM   #8  
NwP
Kookie Creator

I know that for me sometimes I post a card quite a while after it was made. So when I insert the details I can't always remember the exact set name. I put in the stamp company and any thing else I can remember. I figure most people on here know their stamps way better than I do, but if anybody ever had a question (about any element of a card) I would definitely do whatever I could to answer it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe some of the moderators have posted that since this site is free (unless you are a fan club member) they ask that you PLEASE do post the ingredients to your card and not just paste a blog link.

It really only takes maybe 30 seconds to type it all up, especially if you have already posted your card on your blog. Then you can just copy & paste your recipe to the gallery.

I agree- recipes are so helpful. If I have a question on something, I will click to the person's blog if a link is given. But if I don't see the card in question right away, that deters me. So PLEASE, if you're going to just paste a link to your blog- make it a direct link to the card in the gallery. NOT a general link. That makes it so much easier for everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 08:32 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post
I believe some of the moderators have posted that since this site is free (unless you are a fan club member) they ask that you PLEASE do post the ingredients to your card and not just paste a blog link.

It really only takes maybe 30 seconds to type it all up, especially if you have already posted your card on your blog. Then you can just copy & paste your recipe to the gallery.

I agree- recipes are so helpful. If I have a question on something, I will click to the person's blog if a link is given. But if I don't see the card in question right away, that deters me. So PLEASE, if you're going to just paste a link to your blog- make it a direct link to the card in the gallery. NOT a general link. That makes it so much easier for everyone.
Ditto on this for me - I don't mind going to a blog IF it is a direct link to the card I am interested in, and the supplies are listed in a way easy to find in the blog post... I don't always want to take the time to read an entire blog post just to figure out who makes the stamp used. I do post links to my blog in my gallery for people who want more details about how I made the card, but I always take a few seconds (and really... this is all it takes!) to put in at least the stamp company for those who don't want all the gory details

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittypawsView Post
I would love to see the name of the stamp companies in the recipes for cards displayed in the gallery. I have seen many cards with stamps I am unfamiliar with, and it would make it so much easier for people to go to stamp sites if that info was included in a card's recipe. I would also like to see a recipe for each card - much as I would like to, I just don't have the time to go to people's blogs, particularly this time of year. Thanks.
As much as I would like to see a recipe and all the details of a card I realize the person who displayed the card in the gallery may also have a time crunch especially at this time of year.
It takes time to photo and edit the card plus put all the details on their blog
Maybe they just don't have the time to write it all again in the gallery. People who just upload to the gallery may have time to write it all .

I try to put myself in the other person's shoes especially if they have an out of the home job and a family.

I am grateful they post as many cards as they do for me to learn from
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't have a blog and I try to put in instructions on complicated cards. Sometimes, times I just don't have time. I appreciate not having to go to a blog but I will. However, I really dislike having to search for instructions. If it's not easy to find I just leave the blog.

When we talk about how easy it is for someone to pop over to a blog, I always think of my sister who still is on dial-up. She never goes to blogs because it takes too long to load. SCS is her main source of viewing cards and she really gets frustrated on getting instructions on a blog. She always wants to know how long would it take to do a quick copy paste.

For me, the bottom line instrcutions are optional and I want to see the proejct and if there are instructions, great and if not, it's still good. Just keep posting the pics please
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,076 Likes on 826 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post
It's actually requested in the Site Posting Rules -
  • Gallery creations should ideally contain basic instructions and supply lists and we encourage our members to share these details. Gallery creations without details will be ineligible for promotions we run at SCS, and will not be showcased on our Facebook and Twitter pages. Our community loves getting a crafty education about products and techniques, and so we encourage members to share their expertise for the benefit of our community.
  • If you list a blog link in your gallery post, the link should go directly to the post containing that project, not to your main blog address.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #14  

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have started a routine that works well for me. I post my card on my blog first. After the general description of what I did to put it together, I always make a list at the bottom of the post and list the following:
STAMPS
PAPER
INK
ACCESSORIES
Once I publish the post, I copy and paste the content and go to SCS and upload my card and just paste the description which includes the 4 categories that cover the 'recipe' requirement. If I have any extra blog chit chat, I delete that from my SCS post. It really takes VERY little time to do this!

Wanda Cullen ~ Dirty Dozen Alumni, On design team for Papertrey Ink, Designer for Color Throwdown and Fusion Card Challenges Cullen-ary Creations[/URL]...my blog HERE'S MY GALLERY[/URL]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #15  

I do this too, it hardly takes any time at all. I look at this way, it's a lot faster than answering a bunch of PM's asking the same question, lol!
I work full time and have a busy home life, but I still make it a priority to list my card recipes. I do put myself in other people's shoes and know how frustrating it is to not know who the maker of a stamp or DP is. Not everyone answers their PM's, especially if it's an older card and the user no longer comes to SCS very often.
Bottom line is, if you're in a hurry, just list the stamp company, and maybe the DP. Pretty please??? :-)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cullenwrView Post
I have started a routine that works well for me. I post my card on my blog first. After the general description of what I did to put it together, I always make a list at the bottom of the post and list the following:
STAMPS
PAPER
INK
ACCESSORIES
Once I publish the post, I copy and paste the content and go to SCS and upload my card and just paste the description which includes the 4 categories that cover the 'recipe' requirement. If I have any extra blog chit chat, I delete that from my SCS post. It really takes VERY little time to do this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2010, 09:54 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

One thing I have found is the cards that are uploaded and say "see my blog" or they just post the information in the narrative don't go into the "searchable" card portion---not sure how to make that sentence make sense. As in--if you don't fill in any of the keywords etc then it is not "searchable" under stamp name, occasion, etc. I am not sure but I am assuming that they would just go into your own gallery folder but won't show up in a search when someone wants inspiration. I could be wrong but that is my guess. I am still new so only have a couple cards in my gallery and haven't put any in lately at all--but I do use so many of your ideas for inspiration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2010, 01:48 AM   #17  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,076 Likes on 826 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bound4londonView Post
One thing I have found is the cards that are uploaded and say "see my blog" or they just post the information in the narrative don't go into the "searchable" card portion---not sure how to make that sentence make sense. As in--if you don't fill in any of the keywords etc then it is not "searchable" under stamp name, occasion, etc. I am not sure but I am assuming that they would just go into your own gallery folder but won't show up in a search when someone wants inspiration. I could be wrong but that is my guess. I am still new so only have a couple cards in my gallery and haven't put any in lately at all--but I do use so many of your ideas for inspiration.
That's quite true to a degree. The gallery search engine is based on keywords, so unless MFP, ODBD, FLLC, masculine, anniversary, new home or whatever are in the keywords, they won't show up in the relevant company or occasions gallery.
But, if you do an advanced search in the gallery, you can choose to include the write-up as well. This way throws up some odd ones, too-false positives, sort of... I might have written that I nearly used a Snoopy stamp but instead used xyz, and that card will still come up when I do a search for Snoopy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2010, 04:00 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I see the changed the rules a little. That's too bad.

Thanks to you that do add the recipe (or atleast the stamp set)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2010, 04:44 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree.....but i have unmounted many old stamps (not the ones in sets for the most part) and do not remember what company made them of if from a set, which set ! ditto for the paper scraps i may use.

i use posted cards for inspiration mostly for use with stamps that i already have. on a rare occasion i have pm'd someone to see where the stamp came from, never thinking 100 people may also be doing that. hmmm. food for thought. maybe i will just post cards made with materials i can name.

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2010, 05:02 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by mugsy1View Post
i agree.....but i have unmounted many old stamps (not the ones in sets for the most part) and do not remember what company made them of if from a set, which set ! ditto for the paper scraps i may use.

i use posted cards for inspiration mostly for use with stamps that i already have. on a rare occasion i have pm'd someone to see where the stamp came from, never thinking 100 people may also be doing that. hmmm. food for thought. maybe i will just post cards made with materials i can name.
You wrote my thoughts. I try to fill in the fields with information but my biggest problem are unmounted stamps. I place them in CD cases and I wont remember the name. Some of the unmounts dont come in an individual package with the name to save.

Wouldnt it be wonderful if I put them in a case immediately and took the time to put a label of some kind?

Maybe when I retire... HA!

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2010, 05:09 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampnf1nView Post

Wouldnt it be wonderful if I put them in a case immediately and took the time to put a label of some kind?

Maybe when I retire... HA!
With my unmounteds, if I'm doing Tack N Peel or Aleene's, I'll just write the company right on the rubber with a ballpoint, then paint the sticky over it. If I'm doing the cling mount, I'll write on the foam side with an extrafine Sharpie.

I take the time because I do sell cards, and I want to assure myself that I'm only using angel company stamps on my items for sale.

Sorry, that really had nothing to do with the OP. As a blogger myself, I appreciate those who upload to their blogs first, and then C&P the info into the gallery here as well. It seems pretty time efficient, and I can get all of the details whether I stumble across the card here or on the poster's blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 366 Likes on 191 Posts

I have decided not to start up a blog due to my time constraints. Personally, I still love every comment I get. The biggest compliment is choosing one of my cards as a favorite. I do post my cards immediately after creating as they are typically for a daily challenge, so it is easy to add in the details. I do this because I know what I look for if I want to CASE another's card. I understand where everyone is coming from. We are all challenged to multi-task every day and this is our hobby and fun. So do what you can to share. I will try to be sure I list the company but my default has been that it is Stampin' UP unless I note otherwise. Is that a common assumption? Thanks for everyone's comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I usually try to add the supplies I use, but only do it in the photo description part of the upload screen. I've only started doing this as well because of the DT's I'm on. However, a lot of times, I am doing bulk uploads and don't add the details because it takes too long and its usually 3:30 or 4:00 in the morning and I'm too tired to do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

As someone else mentioned; this topic comes up frequently and the discussion can get heated. While SCS does "ask" that we put recipes on our gallery submissions it is not required in the sense that you can't put the image out there if you don't comply.

I have found that if I really, REALLY want to know a stamp company, or colors used or something that isn't listed; and if I go to a suggested blog but I'm not linked directly to that card, and can't find the info easily......I can send a personal message to the poster and ask for the info. Everyone has always responded quickly and nicely.

While I don't necessarily like HAVING to click on a blog to find the info; I can understand the need for people to have "traffic" on their blogs if they are on a design team or something. So, I will click through. But if it's not a direct link to the card as I mentioned then I feel no problem in asking the poster for the info. and mentioning nicely that I DID try to find it on their blog, but couldn't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 04:02 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
It's actually requested in the Site Posting Rules -
  • Gallery creations should ideally contain basic instructions and supply lists and we encourage our members to share these details. Gallery creations without details will be ineligible for promotions we run at SCS, and will not be showcased on our Facebook and Twitter pages. Our community loves getting a crafty education about products and techniques, and so we encourage members to share their expertise for the benefit of our community.
  • If you list a blog link in your gallery post, the link should go directly to the post containing that project, not to your main blog address.
I'm one of those who is just happy that people take the time to share. If they can do that, I can take time to click through to their blog to find out more details.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

It would be nice, if they would put in the name of the stamp set. and paper.

And who makes them.

Other than that I don't care about the other stuff.

Since I don't case to many cards.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cullenwrView Post
STAMPS
PAPER
INK
ACCESSORIES
I do this same thing, too, Wanda. And it really takes less than 30 seconds to upload my card if the information is already on my blog. I just copy and paste the "recipe" over here on SCS and my card is ready to upload. Then I include the DIRECT LINK in case people want to see more photos of the same card or read the extra mumbo-jumbo.

I work full time and would like to think I have a busy life as well between family, sports, and other commitments. But I think everyone can spare 30 seconds- no?
Reply With Quote Likes