Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-28-2011, 01:43 AM   #441  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I just had an ah-ha moment.

A couple of yeras ago I used to buy Cards magazines. I can remember wanting to zip over to the LSS to buy the latest copy at $20 each. I can't remember ever being all that crazy about the samples but more about being able to get one before they were all gone.

I've never been able to cut sample out Cards because they cost so much. Well I finally did it. I saved 20 picutres from 11 Cards mags. The magazines average about 200 pages so at 20 pics at 10 cents each. I spent $220 and now I have $2 of samples or to make it worse each of my samples actually cost $11 - yowza!!

I could talk about the enjoyment of reading the mag but I don't think I ever really liked the Cards style of cards. They all look pretty much the same - mini scrapbook pages. This is definately a lesson learned for me to limit spending on mags and books.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2011, 04:30 AM   #442  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post

A couple of yeras ago I used to buy Cards magazines. I can remember wanting to zip over to the LSS to buy the latest copy at $20 each. I can't remember ever being all that crazy about the samples but more about being able to get one before they were all gone.

I've never been able to cut sample out Cards because they cost so much. Well I finally did it. I saved 20 picutres from 11 Cards mags. The magazines average about 200 pages so at 20 pics at 10 cents each. I spent $220 and now I have $2 of samples or to make it worse each of my samples actually cost $11 - yowza!!

I could talk about the enjoyment of reading the mag but I don't think I ever really liked the Cards style of cards. They all look pretty much the same - mini scrapbook pages. This is definately a lesson learned for me to limit spending on mags and books.

Funny you should mention Cards magazine. I was going through my magazine stash (what a mess!) and found 3 of these. I remember buying them because they were so glossy and looked so good. I think I went through each issue once and realized, like you, the style is not for me. An expensive lesson. I will put these in the pile of mags to bring to my LSS to sell. They have a table in the back of the store where you can sell unwanted items and in return get store credit.

I also sold a couple of sets that I have had for years - and they have never seen ink. It feels good to clean out my collection but bad bad to realize I purchased stuff and never used it. I am much more selective in what I buy now.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #443  
Glitter Guru

Received 870 Likes on 518 Posts
Smile

Broke down and bought five drawered containers at the Dollar G. store. With all this snow, that's as far as we wanted to go. Really needed them, as I couldn't finish organizing my room well without them. Well, maybe doesn't classify technically as a "need", but I wanted them to help finish my room. I had to have some storage for my punches and cricut carts. What's the point of having them, if you can't find them or remember what you have to use them? And I hate digging through bins of piled stuff to find something. Plus, if I cannot see it clearly, I forget I even have it. I think I spent around $25, but it was money well spent in my eyes. So I don't consider this falling off the wagon, as it is helping me reach the goal I have for organizing my room.
Still doing better. Thanks for this encouraging and motivating thread.

Last edited by hoptownracer1; 01-28-2011 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #444  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyK.View Post
Funny you should mention Cards magazine. I was going through my magazine stash (what a mess!) and found 3 of these. I remember buying them because they were so glossy and looked so good. I think I went through each issue once and realized, like you, the style is not for me. An expensive lesson. I will put these in the pile of mags to bring to my LSS to sell. They have a table in the back of the store where you can sell unwanted items and in return get store credit.

I also sold a couple of sets that I have had for years - and they have never seen ink. It feels good to clean out my collection but bad bad to realize I purchased stuff and never used it. I am much more selective in what I buy now.
ahhh I love the magazine, but never bought it myself, I feel I can buy a stamp set for that haha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2011, 06:26 AM   #445  
Pearl-ExPert

I used to subscribe to all kinds of papercrafting mags until about 2 years ago when I realized I got nothing out of them for what I spent. SB mags are a different story because they give you a glimpse into people's lives so those I still buy and read. There's so much talent in blogland that I don't even miss my subscriptions!!!

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #446  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siberian StamperView Post
I used to subscribe to all kinds of papercrafting mags until about 2 years ago when I realized I got nothing out of them for what I spent. SB mags are a different story because they give you a glimpse into people's lives so those I still buy and read. There's so much talent in blogland that I don't even miss my subscriptions!!!
I feel more clueless than usual...what are "SB mags"?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #447  
Stampin' Fool

Scrapbooking Magazines. I had to think about it myself so don't feel clueless - lol.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #448  
Matboard Maniac

Location: A quiet woodsy retirement place in Northern Georgia
Default Going cold turkey

I had a thought while rummaging through a couple of craft bins of mine in which I store buttons, brads, flowers, you know all the little embellies you can't live without....Ladies and gentlemen, at my age, if I started today and made 10, 20 cards a day every day for the rest of my life, I am not going to LIVE long enough to use up all this stuff, not to mention the paper I hoard, cardstock and patterned.
Yes, it's a depressing thought...so I've made a vow to only replenish adhesives. The upside is that I found a neat bunch of stuff I had forgotten I own.

Live simply, Love generously

All those who seek, shall find.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #449  
Rubber Obsessor

hi all! I was at Big Lots today to buy some "necessities" and lo and behold, I see this craft lite cutter at $10 which is a paper cutter with six different cutting heads. I've never seen it advertised on TV (it had the red logo that said "as seen on TV") and I wasn't really at the store for stamping stuff. I know I need some cutting blade refills as my cards are starting to have the frayed edges when I cut them, but this cutter has a built in backlight and the six blades were straight, wavy, zigzag, fold, perforated and stamp. I had a 20% off coupon so came down to $8. Oh well, I just had to get it. I'll probably give my one and only paper cutter a break and use this one for now. We'll see how the backlight helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #450  
Polyshrink Goddess

My husband let me quit work in August. Therefore, I had to give up my stamp clubs, (I was in 3)... and figured, ok, I'll use what I have. Not a problem... but my problem, which is a good one to have, is my DH will give me "stamp money"... so I'm trying to get all of the new SU colors, that I don't have, ink pads, refills, markers, etc...

I did slip though... Boy I wish we had an 800 hotline for help!!! Of course with the mini out, I did get some of the new sets... but did 1/2 of my order on refills of some new pads I did get before I quit.

I'm trying to stay focused on getting just the new colors. If he blesses me with more stamp money, that's all I'm getting... that and mono...

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
My Facebook Stamping page/group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221943441186603/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #451  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Cold Turkey

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikebanaView Post
hi all! I was at Big Lots today to buy some "necessities" and lo and behold, I see this craft lite cutter at $10 which is a paper cutter with six different cutting heads. I've never seen it advertised on TV (it had the red logo that said "as seen on TV") and I wasn't really at the store for stamping stuff. I know I need some cutting blade refills as my cards are starting to have the frayed edges when I cut them, but this cutter has a built in backlight and the six blades were straight, wavy, zigzag, fold, perforated and stamp. I had a 20% off coupon so came down to $8. Oh well, I just had to get it. I'll probably give my one and only paper cutter a break and use this one for now. We'll see how the backlight helps.
Tina... is this white with 11 navy blue thingy's? Gosh, if it's the same one, I would have sent you the one I have. My MIL gave it to me and I've never used it.

Maybe we ought to start trading things? HAHAAHAH!!! One persons trash is another persons treasure....

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #452  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrzaworskiView Post
Tina... is this white with 11 navy blue thingy's? Gosh, if it's the same one, I would have sent you the one I have. My MIL gave it to me and I've never used it.

Maybe we ought to start trading things? HAHAAHAH!!! One persons trash is another persons treasure....
Hi Linda! Yes, this is white but only has six navy blue blades, and yours has eleven? OMG, good thing I haven't opened the package yet, wait a minute, have to go find the receipt. Are you serious about trading? If so, please PM me and let me see if I can fulfill something on your craft wishlist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2011, 06:49 AM   #453  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyndieView Post
Not buying ANYTHING as of today until I have used everything I have.

Well I made it from Jan. 8th until yesterday. :(

My motto for life: "Less is More"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2011, 07:04 AM   #454  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post

$11 a sample. Ouch! While I don't have the Card magazines, I have bought plenty of other magazines that I probably didn't even save a single sample from. I have clipped samples and tossed many of my magazine simply because I don't have enough space. I don't want to think about all I have tossed - it's like tossing money in the garbage can.

This month I have done well with not spending. I did buy a stamp set and dies with a gift card I had but it had to pass my strict "requirements test" before I bought so I am okay with the purchase. Even with gift cards I am trying to be very careful before spending.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #455  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Cold Turkey

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyndieView Post
Well I made it from Jan. 8th until yesterday. :(
I feel your pain... dang SU Occassions Mini and SAB... ohhh the weakness!:rolleyes:

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #456  
Polyshrink Goddess

Should we start a Cold Turkey Trading thread in the b/s/t area? I have things I wouldn't mind trading, like lots of die cuts for scrapbooking...

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #457  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 625 Likes on 438 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrzaworskiView Post
I feel your pain... dang SU Occassions Mini and SAB... ohhh the weakness!:rolleyes:
I placed an order yesterday...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #458  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMRView Post
I placed an order yesterday...
I feel your pain... HAHAHAH!! I think we're enablers more than anything!! HAHAHAH!!! I can honestly say I have absolutely no will power. Especially when my DH says... here's $50 to spend on stamps. Ummm... what do you think we'll do? SAB come to mind? HAHAHAH!!!

But I do feel your pain. So what did you get?

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #459  
Kookie Creator

To everyone who has bought items recently, just remember - you are probably giving a lot more thought to what you are purchasing, and really questioning what you need vs what you want, and also even if it is a want, are being judicious about it, so you have to take those small victories as they come. Cold turkey is really hard - just ask a smoker! Changing lifestyles is hard too - ask a dieter! And, don't beat yourself up about it - as I said earlier, baby steps. Just climb back on that wagon and start again.

Myself, I very nearly caved in and bought a bunch from SU! for sale-a-bration. But at the last minute, I decided against. However, I did take a screen shot of what I had planned to order and will continue to chew on it for a while. Who knows, this sale goes until March 31st, so who knows what will happen. Can I stay true to myself? Time will tell....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #460  
CSC
Compulsive Stamper

I am so enjoying this thread. You gals have helped me with all your ideas like shopping in your own stash, cutting samples from card magazines (I've already let most of mine go) and sticking to your commitment. I agree with flash & rusty that we are making changes little by little just in our thinking. I know for me, my whole attitude is changing about do I need it or just want it. I did cut cupons out the last three weeks, but am happy to say none were used. I never even went to the stores after thinking about what I had right here at home. For me, it is remembering the commitment I made here on this thread, along with thinking of all you gals out there struggling to make the same changes in your craft spending habits that has kept me alert to making good decisions. One of those decisions was staying at the required limit at my stamp club this month. I did it for the first time in several years! Thanks and lets keep going, one step at a time. If we slip, then we just get up and start from where we are and keep going forward.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #461  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Love this tread. I have been buying rubber stamps on ebay and dont' use half of them, I am getting soooo disgusted with myself. I always ask "do you really NEED this or just WANT it?" and that has helped me with some of my other buying. I used Quicken several years ago to categorize all my spending, and I almost fell on the floor when I saw how much I actually spent, I put in every single receipt if it was over $2. So I had cut back somewhat, but still not enough. Thanks for all the comments! Ginny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #462  
Stampin' Fool

I didn't even bother trying. I know I have zero willpower when it comes to this craft. I will say though that I do think about what I'm buying or ordering on line before I actually do it. Cuts down on impulse buying but I'm still buying. I used to do the same thing when crocheting was my obsession. I would see yarn on sale, like a color or two and buy 15 skeins. Meanwhile back at the ranch I already had enough yarn to crochet blankets for the whole neighborhood. Come to think of it, same thing when my craft was needlepoint. I still have canvases I haven't worked on and gave up needlepoint because the threads, canvases, and blocking and framing really cost a fortune. Guess when it comes to crafts I'm a little compulsive.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2011, 12:44 PM   #463  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Location: At the end of a dead-end dirt road, 45.9484° N, 93.0754° W. Founded as a lumber camp in the 1870s,
Received 519 Likes on 363 Posts

Well even before finding this thread (and knowing I am not alone)
My New Years resolution is NO NEW STAMPS in 2011

Not until I have used the ones I have at least once.

I like the will power to not click on those blinking ads on here for this company or that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #464  
Gabfest Goddess

I did so-so this month. I sold a bunch of stamps, but also purchased a few as well. But the ones I purchased I will be using for the classes I teach at my LSS, so they will be well used.
For February, I need a couple of copic refills and have been trying to hold off on getting them until I need paper.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #465  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am motivated by the desire to retire before I'm 80. I think very very carefully before making purchases, sticking to my budget.

Yet, still I've found that I've bought things I regret or, like today, ordered 2 of the exact same ink pad. I swear when I am on line my brain is on crack. The rush of buying literally takes me into another orbit.

I have a really nice LSS about 30 minutes from my house and I work M-F so I don't get there very much. I might start limiting a lot of my purchases to my LSS. I think I would be less likely to make costly mistakes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #466  
Stazon Splitcoast

well we are redoing our room and my scrapsection will need to downsize to a hallway closet. Gotta have to really think of storage and less buying for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #467  
Stazon Splitcoast

how are you guys gonna do it with all the CHA goodness coming out ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2011, 02:58 PM   #468  
Pearl-ExPert

OK, I tried the cold-turkey thing in January and failed miserably. Like, several hundred dollars miserably. However, I am trying to get back on track for February. It is a short month so I think I can do it. My goal is no new crafts goodies for the month, that includes stamping, scrapping, cross stitch, and quilting (my passions). I can't guarantee anything for March but I feel confident about February! Anybody else going to give it another shot?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2011, 03:06 PM   #469  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty1021View Post
OK, I tried the cold-turkey thing in January and failed miserably. Like, several hundred dollars miserably. However, I am trying to get back on track for February. It is a short month so I think I can do it. My goal is no new crafts goodies for the month, that includes stamping, scrapping, cross stitch, and quilting (my passions). I can't guarantee anything for March but I feel confident about February! Anybody else going to give it another shot?
What all did you buy?? LOL Im still on track.. There are tons of things I would like.. but when I sit down and really think if I need it.. I always think noooo lol However I started this way of thinking..last year & also after the black friday and cyber deals because there was so much temptation!! I havent really bought myself anything except one set of nesties that I had been wanting but was always out of stock. The Lacey circles are now MINE...!!! But only $14.99 in a few months isnt bad in my book! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2011, 03:35 PM   #470  
Insane Embellisher

I love this thread! I think what is really important is what a few people have mentioned, and that is really thinking through what we are buying before buying it. I am no good at cold turkey or dieting, so this is a challenge for me. So far, going pretty well - I am not regretting what I have spent and have been able to work at paying off some bills. So, a step in the right direction for me. Good luck to everyone still working on this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2011, 04:02 PM   #471  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the only CHA stuff I've seen is patterned paper and I rarely buy it, so I haven't been tempted at all. Maybe I'm missing stuff but this isn't the thread to tell me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2011, 04:14 PM   #472  
Stazon Splitcoast

yea I've looked but I know I can do without
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #473  
Kookie Creator

Well, I made it through January! Yea! It was tough mind you, and I was tempted on more than one occasion. I was on the Stampin' Up! website and had my sale-a-bration order all placed in the cart (for the third time this month I might add), but when it came down to hitting that final button to submit, I deleted my cart and left the internet. I have been putting the finishing touches on my 2010 scrapbook, and as I go through the pages, there are a few that are screaming for embellishments that I don't have - but, I am going to try and make some using paper piecing techniques. I have steered clear of my LSS, Michaels, and any of the dealer sites and that seems to have worked.

When I look at the finished product, I have a real sense of accomplishment in having shopped my stash, created my own embellishments, or just lived without - and guess what. Not one person will look at those pages and say - "Wow, you really need something here on this page, because I just can't tell it's finished or what it's all about". Not even my own family, who this book is all about.

Happy crafting everyone, and here's to a "cold-turkey" February!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #474  
Matboard Maniac

I made it thru Jan with Flying Color. I only bought tombow refill and a Alene tack it over and over so I can unmount my wood block stamps. I also used some of my stash and am ready to conquer Feb. Good luck ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2011, 09:02 PM   #475  
Inking Addict

Made it through January without buying a single piece of cardstock or paper, which has been my goal this year. What I have spent on embellishments was for a particular project and am definitely thinking more about what I really need as opposed to want just because it's pretty. Thanks for starting this thread to help us take more notice of what we spend and why.

Gwen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 01:28 AM   #476  
Mad Swapper

I did good as well. Not a penny spent. I did go in Michael's a couple times but only bought some posterboard for my daughter's school project. And I sold a bunch of stuff and ended up with a brand new PTI set that I wanted via a trade. And I wasn't even tempted really. None of the new CHA stuff is really doing anything for me either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 02:01 AM   #477  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

My question to everyone - Do you count blade refills and adhesives as a necessity or as an extra??? Does that make sense???

See the way I look at it is you have to have blades to cut your paper and glue/tape to make your creations. If you don't have those then you don't have a creation. I compare it to my dh's job, he has to have his tools in order to properly complete the job. So I do not consider the glue/blades in the extra expenditure category.. To me extra expenditures would be the bling, the must have new pattern paper, ribbon and etc.

Am I the only one who thinks this way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 03:38 AM   #478  
Die Cut Diva

I guess whether or not I succeeded depends on how you define success. I never planned to go cold-turkey. I didn't even plan to diet, really. What I did want to do was cut back on impulse buys and getting caught up in the thrill of the release. And in that regard I was successful. Every purchase I made in January was deliberate and well thought out.

I waited until the last day of my cruise to buy the album to make sure that I really wanted it. I thought about the Grand Calibur since its debut and finally decided that it was worth it for the uber deep impressions since I emboss a lot. I bought birthday stamps because that was a real void in my stamp collection and I make all the b-day cards for my office. I bought some Valentine's Day stamps because I do a 14 days of Valentines for DH (starts today!) and I've already used almost all of them, AND some from my stash.

So for me, this challenge is all about buying what I'll actually use rather than not buying at all. And in that I think I succeeded along with the rest of you. Good job everyone!

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink

Last edited by babydal57; 02-01-2011 at 04:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 03:54 AM   #479  
Inking Addict

I didn't do too bad I dont think. I have been wanting a scorepal forever and I did order that,.. It should be here today. I also bought my Bind-it-all which I had been planning for a long time so I can make the christmas gifts I want to make for my gal friends this year. I live on a fixed income, good ol SS which is not much but then I make a little extra $$ when I sell a card or two. This past month I had an order for wedding invitations! They turned out beautiful and that is the money I used on my crafting spending. I still have one thing on my want list which is Prisma Color Pencils.... I do have a box full of Crayola pencils which are alright but I really really want the Prisma Pencils.. So now I will see how the month of February goes. One thing I am proud of is that when I did go into Michaels to get paper that I needed for the wedding invitations. That is all I got.. nothing extra. You guys are doing awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 06:31 AM   #480  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

My question to everyone - Do you count blade refills and adhesives as a necessity or as an extra??? Does that make sense???
Yup, as far as I am concerned, they are necessities, and replacements shouldn't be counted as purchases above and beyond.
Reply With Quote Likes