Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-10-2008, 05:50 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Innisfil Ontario

Hello! I am thinking about a family trip to Innisfil Ontario this next August for a Warnica family reunion. I have never been there but it is the area that my ancestor was a part-founder of. I am wondering if there are stamp/craft stores in the area that I need to visit? Or any other places I nned to stop at?
Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 06:05 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are lots of canadians here i am sure will give you the scoop!

i am not one... just wanted to say have a safe and happy trip. prolly better take a little stamping/sanity/care package for yourself.

i know the next time i travel i would like to take some stuff for my down time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

bump
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 34 Likes on 7 Posts

There are some great stores in Barrie (not very far away). Are you staying right in Innisfil or in the area? I live about 1 1/2 hours from there. How long are you staying? I know they have a great Michael's in Barrie but am not familiar with the smaller stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via Skype™ to Carole4312

If its Innisfail you need info about ... hop onto the 'not all from Canada thread " ... some of 'our' girls are from there !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs NoofyView Post
There are some great stores in Barrie (not very far away). Are you staying right in Innisfil or in the area? I live about 1 1/2 hours from there. How long are you staying? I know they have a great Michael's in Barrie but am not familiar with the smaller stores.
Yes Barrie is talked about quite a bit. I am not sure where we will be staying yet as my cousin will be setting up the lodging. I know Barrie, Innisfil and Painswick are on the agenda. I am getting excited! Thank you!
I am not sure how long we will be there. We will be driving in from Wisconsin and have not figured out the best route yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I actually lived in Innisfil for about 10 years so I'll tell you what I can. It's less than an hour north of Toronto (big city) and about 15 minutes from Barrie, a city of about 130,000 people. The south end of Barrie has a nice Michael's store and is very close to Innisfil but it depends whereabout in Innisfil you'll be. Costco is also very close to Michael's and sometimes they have nice scrapping stuff. There's a scrapbooking store in Barrie called Scraps of Joy and other than that, you'd have to head down to the Toronto area. I'm not sure exactly what stores are around Toronto but there are definitely people from Toronto here in the forums so maybe they can help more. Have a nice trip - Canada's great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Not much in Innisfil Township I'm afraid, small communities with a grocery store if they are lucky, I saw on the news tonite that parts of the area are flooding right now due to heavy rain following snow melt - I hope your family is/are on high ground!

Barrie only has the Mikes at Molson Park drive just north of the Innisfil area, and the prev mentioned scrapbook store - its along the highway between Bayfield and the last exit north but I haven't ever stopped there to tell you how to get to it. Barrie has a nice waterfront area but the rest of it sucks.

Otherwise there are a few stamp stores and lots of scrapbooking stores that carry stamps in Toronto but if you are driving thru Michigan and crossing the border at either Detroit/Windsor or Port Huron/Sarnia you will have your best luck to stop in London ON which is on the highway heading the direction you are going. There are 3 jammed to the roof stamp stores (including the retail store for The Artful Stamper line) in London + scrapbooking stores that are much easier to get to than getting around "Torontarded" Toronto. I can send you the directions for those if you think you might have time for a side trip.

..otherwise, I used to know a Warnica named Donna when I lived just south of Innisfil twsp. I think she was from the area...worked at the college I was attending and my husband taught at - but no idea if she was a founding family or anything like that.

Have fun - family reunions are great!

Joann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2008, 03:35 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you all so much for the replies. I am going to look at the map this weekend and I am waiting to hear back from my cousin Bill on the best route to take from central WI.

Yes, all Warnick/Warnica's are from the same blood line and I know there is a Donna on the list.
We are all descendants of George Frederick Hanning Wernecke(the original name that has changed a few times since then) He bought the land in 1825.

Thank you all for your help on this. I do want to do some stamp shopping along the way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2008, 03:42 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

There isn't a whole lot in Toronto either! There are Michael's stores, and a Cherished Scrapbooks in Richmond Hill (north Toronto) and another stamp store called The Ink Spot in west Toronto. I must say I have been pretty disappointed with the lack of stores in such a large city. Have a great time on your reunion trip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2008, 05:25 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

The Ink Spot is in Oakville-which is a town west of Toronto! Cherished Scrapbooks has two locations-Thornhill and Mississauga. Scrapalicious is in North Mississauga and they have some stamping supplies plus scrapping. In Toronto there is Bizzy B's and it's downtown-they have a fair amount of stamping supplies (considering what else we have up here..LOL)

So great that you're going to your family reunion! Yes-do make time for you while you're a way! Welcome, in advance, to Canada!!

Hopefully you will make it to Toronto-it's not that scary-the CN Tower is a must-see. If you are going to go to Niagara Falls (only about 2 -2 1/2 hours from Barrie) then Oakville and the Ink Spot are on your way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2008, 06:15 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 34 Likes on 7 Posts

Also see Scrapbook moments & more in Richmond Hill. They do a lot on on line shopping but do have a store and they advertise on this site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 06:00 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Smile Stamping or Scrapbooking Stores

North of Barrie in Orillia is the wonderful store called Under Construction with a wide variety of stamps and papers and supplies.

Downtown in Toronto are Scrapbooks by Design (lots of paper and embellishments) and Bizzy Bee (lots of stamps and papers and embellishments).

In Markham, Pointers is a wonderful place to browse. It's on Woodbine, just south of Highway 7 on the east side. Heidi has great stamps and papers and other fun supplies.

In Richmond Hill, there's Cherished Scrapbooks.

In Oshawa, there's Scrapbook Emporium.

In Bolton, there's A Scrapbooker's Dream.

In Mississauga, there's Scrapalicious.

I've been to them all, and each one has its unique offerings for the crafter.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Canada. Crafters here are wonderful, too, and always willing to share ideas.

Honey Bee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 06:56 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

there is a mall that you will pass.... Vaughn Mills. you definitely have to check it out. it is right on the highway that you are going to be on. there isn't anything scrapping/stamping related there, it is just a fun mall to check out.
Reply With Quote Likes